Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

It's like saying you don't mind a piece of dogshit in your sandwich

If the alternative is not to play video games, yeah, I'll take this bad sandwich of a story.

Demanding a better story would make sense if there was any indication that Obsidian could or even was interested in writing a better one. I'm not just saying this to sound edgy, I do like Obsidian's games in general. But I've long since stopped hoping for a decent setting for any of them.

It would be nice to see a game explore a more or less believable society with the technology, morals and philosophy appropriate for its state: prehistoric, medieval, bronze age or anything else. King of Dragon Pass, Fallout and the recent AoD and Legends of Eisenwald are good examples of this.

Alternatively, it would be great to see a completely outlandish place, but with some sort of internal logic. With all its drawbacks, I think Morrowind is a good example of this.

Unfortunately, Tyranny doesn't seem to fit into any of this. I will reserve final judgement until I finish it, but so far it looks like a mishmash of AWESOME and EVIL. Where awesome means guys in cartoonish armor with LED lighting, and evil means cosplaying Nazis for 12+ audience. But like I said, the combat is entertaining enough for me to keep playing it.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's like saying you don't mind a piece of dogshit in your sandwich

If the alternative is not to play video games, yeah, I'll take this bad sandwich of a story.

Demanding a better story would make sense if there was any indication that Obsidian could or even was interested in writing a better one. I'm not just saying this to sound edgy, I do like Obsidian's games in general. But I've long since stopped hoping for a decent setting for any of them.

It would be nice to see a game explore a more or less believable society with the technology, morals and philosophy appropriate for its state: prehistoric, medieval, bronze age or anything else. King of Dragon Pass, Fallout and the recent AoD and Legends of Eisenwald are good examples of this.

Alternatively, it would be great to see a completely outlandish place, but with some sort of internal logic. With all its drawbacks, I think Morrowind is a good example of this.

Unfortunately, Tyranny doesn't seem to fit into any of this. I will reserve final judgement until I finish it, but so far it looks like a mishmash of AWESOME and EVIL. Where awesome means guys in cartoonish armor with LED lighting, and evil means cosplaying Nazis for 12+ audience. But like I said, the combat is entertaining enough for me to keep playing it.

The setting is as poorly done as your first impression indicates, Graven Ashe's lines have exactly the same dumb shit about hoplites being people who hop around and throw javelins in it as Heins said in that one interview.
Although I do consider the whole idea of Archon abilities being myths that turned into self-fullfilling prophecies interesting.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Are enemies just damage sponges on PoTD or is there some genuine challenge here?
I wouldn't call them damage sponges but they sure like to use their abilities which may include heals. Expect lots of incoming damage, especially from archers and javelin throwers (Triple Throw, etc.). Enemy mages are more dangerous than in PoE - they have enough HP to withstand your focus for some time and interrupts are less useful.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Is it just me or is every single tough guy, killer, captain, mercenary, bruiser etc a woman in this game? Wtf is with that feminazi design?

Tao

Savant
Last arc was TERRIBLE, incredible bad, bad like a kick in the balls bad:

When things seems to go in an interesting direction with the factions and your previous decisions in the table for you, the main character, to start moving with an agenda of you own, the game goes full retarded with the "i like to be Bioware shit" and give you no even the courtesy of nothing but a "beaware of Pox possible dlc comming next year".

And what to say about Tunnon: I was so let down with Tunnon that i cant even remember when i felt that kind of disappointment with a character before. No legal battle, no really moral-ethic in law discution, no even a clever stament and the guy just swear to die for you.

But what to expect when in the end the game only let you stand against the Overlord as the only option. Spoiler warning... like we could not see that comming...

I liked the premised, the potencial that keeps building to the last arc and the reactivity in the first arc was great too, but later i couldn't do shit about nothing because i didn't go anarch but disfavored it seems. So i was forced to kill everything, the only real choice the game let me do was what zone i didnt want to explore (Burning Library for my playthrough). I just dont understand why cut you of a zone? For replayability? Sorry but the game must be real good to play it more than one time.

Gameplay, the SJW agenda ala Bioware (even tho it wasn't through your throat kind of thing, it was well placed really but feels just as jarring as always), the stupid idea that mage needs slots bc they are not about utility but nuclear ships walking, the gear (tho artifacts were a great idea too) and a lot of other things are already told in this thread.

The game has good things but is just a filler game for Obsidian and it show.

P.D: Yes, i know. I'm not Stainless Veteran. :S

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Like any skill-based system, Tyranny's can be abused. You can switch off AI for an easy fight and level defensive and magic skills by taking blows and recasting buffs. It's not very different from running into a wall in Morrowind, except now you are the wall.

Sizzle

Arcane
But what to expect when in the end the game only let you stand against the Overlord as the only option. Spoiler warning... like we could not see that comming...

Well, that part at least makes sense.

You're developing the same powers as (s)he is. What's the alternative - co-ruling? It's been stated several times in the game that Kyros comes after anyone that's considered a threat, so conflict is inevitable.

Neanderthal

Arcane
End o Jade Empire you could sacrifice yoursen so that Master Li could ascend, crap game but good option, should be allowed for a fanatical Kyros supporter.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Last arc was TERRIBLE, incredible bad, bad like a kick in the balls bad:

When things seems to go in an interesting direction with the factions and your previous decisions in the table for you, the main character, to start moving with an agenda of you own, the game goes full retarded with the "i like to be Bioware shit" and give you no even the courtesy of nothing but a "beaware of Pox possible dlc comming next year".

And what to say about Tunnon: I was so let down with Tunnon that i cant even remember when i felt that kind of disappointment with a character before. No legal battle, no really moral-ethic in law discution, no even a clever stament and the guy just swear to die for you.

I liked the premised, the potencial that keeps building to the last arc and the reactivity in the first arc was great too, but later i couldn't do shit about nothing because i didn't go anarch but disfavored it seems. So i was forced to kill everything, the only real choice the game let me do was what zone i didnt want to explore (Burning Library for my playthrough). I just dont understand why cut you of a zone? For replayability? Sorry but the game must be real good to play it more than one time.

Gameplay, the SJW agenda ala Bioware (even tho it wasn't through your throat kind of thing, it was well placed really but feels just as jarring as always), the stupid idea that mage needs slots bc they are not about utility but nuclear ships walking, the gear (tho artifacts were a great idea too) and a lot of other things are already told in this thread.

The game has good things but is just a filler game for Obsidian and it show.

P.D: Yes, i know. I'm not Stainless Veteran. :S
I know right. Why couldnt I become Kryos's loyal right hand man/attack dog?? Obsidian did it well enough in New Vegas. For example you could be loyal to Ceaser or Mr. House or NCR till the end. Or Alpha Protocol where you could become all budy budy with Leland. So much wasted potential.

Sizzle

Arcane
End o Jade Empire you could sacrifice yoursen so that Master Li could ascend, crap game but good option, should be allowed for a fanatical Kyros supporter.

Agreed. Options like that (and agreeing to become a mutant in FO1, or trying to attack Kelemvor in MoTB and getting vaporized) are just flavor "try them once to see the lulz and then reload", but they do show developer intent and care to cover all the bases when it comes to choices.

GloomFrost

Arcane

Agreed. Options like that (and agreeing to become a mutant in FO1, or trying to attack Kelemvor in MoTB and getting vaporized) are just flavor "try them once to see the lulz and then reload", but they do show developer intent and care to cover all the bases when it comes to choices.
Especially considering that Tyranny is like 15 hours long. Dialogues and Choices/consequences are the ONLY reason to play it. I mean nobody in their right mind would play it because of combat.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
No legal battle, no really moral-ethic in law discution

Considering that you basically play judge-enforcer and this is a great set-up for many deep and interesting situations, the game offers frustratingly little opportunities here, and the stuff thats there sometimes feels forced and/or awkward.

Still, there is some fun to be had as Fatebinder but I wish they would have gone much more consequently (and perhaps bravely) with their fairly unique concept instead of ultimately resorting to typical fantasy RPG tropes. The ending is probably the worst offender in this regard, as many have already pointed out.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The best part of Tyranny is the idea itself. Hopefully someone will actually do justice to it one day.

I mean, enforcing the rules of an ruthless Overlord and exploring the different kinds of evil that follows in his wake.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The best part of Tyranny is the idea itself. Hopefully someone will actually do justice to it one day.

I mean, enforcing the rules of an ruthless Overlord and exploring the different kinds of evil that follows in his wake.

The game has good premise and structure, which are probably the main reasons why I'm not having much of a buyer's remorse. It would be great if mid-sized developers got the signal that making relatively short games with branching structure is a viable option instead of making something lengthier, linear and with more generic premise like what most of the stuff that is referred as RPG tend to be.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have not finished the game but anybody could see that you would eventually go after the big baddie... the point of the game is what kind of ruler would you be? Evil doesnt need to be chaotic or brutal, it can be just as uncaring and uncompromising as "good" sometimes it is a matter of perspective.
As for choices, well I cannot think of a single gane that gives you as much choice as this one in quite awhile; in the opening act alone you can choose with which of the factions to side with or give them the middle finger and go on your own and honestly I have not had such a moment of pure fun as when you are given the option of taking the spire for your own or handing it off like in 99% of the games (yes and that includes Planescape and Baldurs Gate) and beign actually able to pull it off
Even if the locations are pretty much the same the simple fact that you get to choose who to side with and make that be more than a cosmetic choice is vwry refreshing indeed, how many times were you able to keep that quest item instead of beign the fedex guy? How many times you can go all "renegade" and say stupid stuff to npcs without any consequence? How many times do you really have to choose what to say fro the matter and have some actual flavor to what you are saying? Wished you could have joined Irenicus at least for awhile knowing you wpuld eventually have to face off with him?
I dont see anything particularly outstanding about this game bit overall it is good and it is refreshing and has renewed my faith in Obsidian doing quality games like this...they might not be timeless masterpieces like Fallout or Torment but I feel extremely thankful that at least we have the options for ganes like this... how knows maybe the starts will align like in those early Bioware/Black Isle days and perhaps they will come up with a game that becomes their new Baldurs Gate or their new Fallout

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Does anyone know for sure who "wrote" New vegas quests? I ain't talking about its stupid ass "design".

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

hahahahaha What kind of compliment is that? I can use this to most games. The best part of Shadownrun is the concept. It's a shame that the execution sucks though. Hopefully someone will actually do justice to it one day.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Does anyone know for sure who "wrote" New vegas quests? I ain't talking about its stupid ass "design".

Let me just do a mini-writing credits dump to answer a lot of common questions here. Most of the major plot characters (Benny, Victor, Caesar, Mr. House) and the main story itself were written by the game's creative lead, John Gonzalez. Eric Fenstermaker wrote Veronica and Boone. Chris Avellone wrote Cass, Lanius, and Oliver. Travis Stout wrote Lily and Raul. Most of the other characters, major and minor, were split between the writers above and other area designers. Of course the actual full design treatments, quests, and implementation of areas were done by the area designers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom