Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
"Ever since you arrived at the Tiers, you have proven stubbornly tight-lipped. Your speech is often stilled as if by some great terror or apprehension. Can you answer for this anomaly or are you too simple to manage it?"

[Say nothing]

"Absolutely incredible... even I could take lessons on being surly from you." (Sirin)

"I don't know why I expected any different." (Tunon)

GOTY

Yup, there are two "attitude" variables that the game keeps track of:

<Tag>gm_player_letter_of_law</Tag>
<FolderGuid>6a0e75c1-9b10-4053-991e-80287bffbfd2</FolderGuid>
<InitialValue>0</InitialValue>
<Comments>counter of times the player takes her Herald role overly seriously, such as getting off on ceremony when a a simple answer would suffice.</Comments>

<Tag>gm_player_silence</Tag>
<FolderGuid>6a0e75c1-9b10-4053-991e-80287bffbfd2</FolderGuid>
<InitialValue>0</InitialValue>
<Comments>counter of times the player is intentionally silent in dialogue.</Comments>

They're checked by a small handful of NPCs, so it's not just a Tunon thing.

By the way, there's a ton of Skirmish-related variables still in the files. The mechanic must have been cut (or postponed) quite late in development.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
My final opinion on tyranny is that it left the same taste as dragon age 2 left for me. Tyranny is like a hot girl but she is crazy, terrible hygiene, etc. Its a decent game but has glaring flaws. The world feels too small just like dragon age 2's world. Why can't Obsidian create a SINGLE open world linear game like baldurs gate 1 or 2? Its fucking sad as shit when some Serbian guy is the only dude that delivered in CRPGS a worthy title in what feels like a decade.

Also I'm sick of RPGS being marketed as having choices when the ending is the same ala (dragon age 2, tyranny) and tell tale games.

Sizzle

Arcane
By the way, there's a ton of Skirmish-related variables still in the files. The mechanic must have been cut (or postponed) quite late in development.

Skirmish? Do you mean Conquest?

If so, that really sucks.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Skirmishes were planned to be randomly populated combat maps with objectives like "capture the flag" or "rescue three prisoners from the enemy Banes/Disfavoured/whatever." I suspect they were meant to be the rough equivalent of the Stronghold attacks in PoE.

Sentinel

Arcane
My final opinion on tyranny is that it left the same taste as dragon age 2 left for me. Tyranny is like a hot girl but she is crazy, terrible hygiene, etc. Its a decent game but has glaring flaws. The world feels too small just like dragon age 2's world. Why can't Obsidian create a SINGLE open world linear game like baldurs gate 1 or 2? Its fucking sad as shit when some Serbian guy is the only dude that delivered in CRPGS a worthy title in what feels like a decade.

Also I'm sick of RPGS being marketed as having choices when the ending is the same ala (dragon age 2, tyranny) and tell tale games.
BG2 isn't open world pal.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Its fucking sad as shit when some Serbian guy is the only dude that delivered in CRPGS a worthy title in what feels like a decade.

A Serbian and a codexer. If you haven't tried AoD yet, do it. It's awesome.

GloomFrost

Arcane

BG and BG2 were proper big AAA titles when they came out. BG2 alone without TTOB had more content then POE and Tyranny put together. Obsidian simply has no time, money or man power to make anything of that scale.
Also Underail (thats what you meant right?) yeah its big game alright but damn it has problems of its own.

jungl

Augur
Baldurs gate 2 is not open world but it feels like it compared to games like tyranny and dragon age 2.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
About 10 hours in, and pretty much made up my mind. The game is lifeless. Almost as lifeless as PoE. The wrath/favor mechanic/c&c/dialogue is unintelligent and forced, and the world feels claustrophobic. This game doesn't give you choice, it gives you the illusion of choice.

I'll finish it just to see how much potential there is for powergaming, but I don't see much replay potential.
Chill bro, its just a game.

Bonerbill

Augur
BG and BG2 were proper big AAA titles when they came out. BG2 alone without TTOB had more content then POE and Tyranny put together.

Not really. PoE + WM1&2 is over 100 hours if you're going for a completionist platyrhough. While Tyranny is a short game, I think it takes about 29-25 hours to do all the quests in the game.

Last edited:

Azarkon

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity with expansion is around the size of Baldur's Gate 2, but Baldur's Gate 2 was that size without an expansion, so I can understand why people feel Baldur's Gate 2 was a lot bigger since most people completed Pillars of Eternity before the expansion came out.

This new game, however, is a lot smaller than both, and yet they're still selling it at the price of Pillars of Eternity.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This game doesn't give you choice, it gives you the illusion of choice.
Some prominent Codexers says there the C&C is pretty good in this game. Some (like you) think it is shit. Make up your fucking mind Codex!

Some people lie, some people are just stupid. Pick 'n choose!

I'd like to meet anyone who has played the game a little bit further and still likes to claim that bullshit. I'll kick your ass.

You literally go to a place, talk to someone trying to resolve things peacefully, end up killing everybody (with absolutely no choice). Repeat until everyone is dead.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
This game doesn't give you choice, it gives you the illusion of choice.
Some prominent Codexers says there the C&C is pretty good in this game. Some (like you) think it is shit. Make up your fucking mind Codex!
There's a lot of reactive text, NPC's that appear or disappear, and some content is gate locked (note: to be more precise some solutions to quests are gate locked, never an entire area). It probably has more reactivity than Fallout 1/2, BG series, Fallout NV and PoE.... but almost all of it is fluff, reminds me of porting saves from on ME to another, yes shit changes but the direction of the story does not. Again note, I mean reactivity to events and by events I mean do you kill someone or not after a fight in a dialog. All the above mentioned games give you far far FAR more options on how to deal with events but have 1 or 2 different outcomes. Tyranny gives you one way to solve events (combat) and the dialog afterwards provides reactivity.

It doesn't help that there's no one to care about anyway cause everyone is either insanely stupid or stupidly insane. Add to that the PoE combat, trash mobs, weird isometric version of Elder Scrolls leveling/skills system.

Idk, I could see this being okay with different combat. So I guess if you don't mind PoE combat, you'll probably enjoy this.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity with expansion is around the size of Baldur's Gate 2, but Baldur's Gate 2 was that size without an expansion, so I can understand why people feel Baldur's Gate 2 was a lot bigger since most people completed Pillars of Eternity before the expansion came out.

This new game, however, is a lot smaller than both, and yet they're still selling it at the price of Pillars of Eternity.
Yeah I wasnt counting WM 1 and 2 expansions. But I agree tyranny is well overpriced, it took me just over 20 hours for my first playthrough (pretty much all side quests are done, standard difficulty).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE without expansion (since I haven't played WM yet) might take a while to get through, but it's so repetitive and the world is so dead that it creates a claustrophobic feeling. I don't know how to properly explain it, your role within the world is so severely limited and the people within it have such silly problems that everything feels tiny and underdeveloped. There is no drive, no wanderlust, no intellectual gratification, no thrills. I'll reserve such condemning judgements for Tyranny until after I've played through the whole thing.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
You get some different text now and then.
So just like Planescape: Torment.
Ironically yes. It did remind me a lot of PT, the only other game that did that for me was MotB.

However...
- The writing is mildly worse
-The world is extremely boring
- Thus the story is extremely boring
- The combat is about even but PT had more variety in enemies
-The itemization is worse
- The companions are much duller

Fry

Arcane
Idk, I could see this being okay with different combat. So I guess if you don't mind PoE combat, you'll probably enjoy this.
I don't see how, combat has very little in common with PoE beyond engagement mechanic.

The baffling visual explosion of arrows and circles is the same. Still the biggest problem with the uh... PoE Engine I guess we're calling it.

Sizzle

Arcane
No, dudes, sorry, BG2 is a bigger (as in - more quests, content and things to do) game than PoE, even with TWM and Tyranny included.

Just compare all the stuff you can do in Athkatla to the meager content in Defiance Bay.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing a bit... the game is not bad.
The problem though is that it has quite some combat and the combat... well it kinda sucks. I mean its RTwP, what did I expect? But there are pretty bad shit in it, like when you turn the AI on and your teammates constantly disengage to cast heals and stuff like that. When you turn it off you have to fucking micromanage every single click.
Also the itemization is possibly even worse than PoE, I can barely tell what's better than what most of the time. +0.3 on that and -0.5 on the other thing... Meh.

However I personally find the whole twist with being "evil" interesting and the lore kind of cool. C&C is not bad too although it is too focused (at least in the first part of the game) on choosing between factions.
And don't play with the influence modifiers shown, it ruins half the fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom