Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
It's hard to give advice on gameplay because everyone's taste is different. I don't like gunners in big open rooms so I mainly put melee patrollers, random melee, thugs and dogs in these rooms. Gunners are mostly confined to small areas and areas with cover. When gunners are found in large areas, like long corridors or open rooms, they are often spawned with silenced pistols since these are slow and inaccurate, or if they don't, I put them in a small niche with relatively easy access or close to the doors.

Dodgers are used pretty well in combination with thugs, as that combo demands fast reflexes. It's like a thug/dog combo, except the dodgers are slower, can't be hit with guns but can be hit with fists (while dogs can't be hit with fists without the Tony mask and the Son's bloody hands technique).

Alfons

Prophet
That's not what I meant. IMO one of the few improvement HM2 implemented is that player characters have abilities which are actually interesting and different. You put Jacket in your levels and h puts the detective in his. Wouldn't the son, the butcher or the fans would be more interesting to play as?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I was replying to Strayed WRT the advice on gameplay.
As far as characters go, picking Jacket for my levels is mostly because I want to continue his story, and the abundance of masks makes the whole thing pretty interesting. I almost always play as Tony with Jacket, but completing the levels with Brandon, Aubrey, Don Juan or Oscar could be interesting.

The Fans and the Son are the most interesting characters to play as in HM2 yeah, especially Alex & Ash. I also want to create a set of levels for the Fans. One thing that I didn't mention is that you can select which mask is automatically selected in the level, for example if you want a Mark only level, or a Corey only level.

Alfons

Prophet
That's the thing with Jacket, he has a bunch of masks but only few decent ones, and all of them pale compared to tony.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Pardo is good laughing material, yup.
So, 8 levels out of 12 are complete. The latest batch:

Strayed

Educated
Southern Hemisphere's Canada (New Zealand)
Why do you guys keep doing levels that use the characters that have no special abilities? That crossfire part is tailor-made for the dual wielding bear guy.

I like using Richter specifically because he has no abilities, and he's actually the most inaccurate character when using guns (although it's not that noticeable) and I used Pardo because he's slower in melee than other characters and I thought that might be an interesting challenge with the dodgers.

That's the thing with Jacket, he has a bunch of masks but only few decent ones, and all of them pale compared to tony.

You take that back, Brandon is the best there is. :rpgcodex:

Strayed

Educated
Southern Hemisphere's Canada (New Zealand)
So I read that the editor had custom sprite support and decided to palette swap Jacket to make a character for a campaign that may or may not happen.

Jacket%20Palette%20Swap_zpsa5cfezah.png

I haven't finished yet, I still have about a fifth of the sheet to go.

Brandon%20Palette%20Swap_zpsp8uclulk.png

And I did a palette swap of Brandon too, just for fun. I haven't done any actual sprite edits like some people have (turning The Hammer into a SWAT unit for instance) mainly because I'm doing this blind, with no prior experience. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I try and implement this stuff.

Edit: woops, double post.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791436106023/announcements/detail/890966394055700858

Hotline Miami 2 Level Editor Leaves Beta, Now Live
22 JUNE - BR33DLOVE
Today's update includes the Hotline Miami 2 level editor as well as a number of other minor fixes and changes. Please see the Patch Notes in the Level Editor forum for the full changelist.

If you experience any issues with this latest update, please report them in the pinned Bug Report Thread in the Level Editor forum. Additionally; should the latest update cause serious new issues on your machine, we have also set the previous build (v1.05) live on the 'no_editor' branch. Use that to opt-out of the editor update while we look for a solution to the problem.

Thank you so much for your patience and help over the extended development of the level editor. Without your passion, help, and feedback this would not have been possible. Now please go make Hotline Miami 3!

7bcda13ebf92fee310f6c1426fc752577e9376a2.png

59eadfb4c7106f68186927adf9f1f808e5f675d5.jpg

9144455ca3164d5c9fad149d228433cd2c7b30ad.jpg

72e2f41f87350ecea7c1b5c083551b783f775118.jpg

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Saw that earlier. I may be able to finally finish my campaign now that the editor doesn't crash the game anymore. :salute:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
None that I played have been very good to be honest, but I haven't tried individual levels, only campaigns.
Speaking of which, the editor is relatively stable now so I resumed work on my campaign. Out of the 18 levels, 15 are done, and 5 of them have intros/outros and are accessible through the campaign menu. They're mostly HM1 in style but some are more open like in HM2. The cutscene editor is rather easy but if you mess up chances are you'll have to do it all over again.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
And here's a small trailer. I only need to finish a few things and it should be good. Probably gonna enter beta at the end of the week.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Well to be honest that's the best way to promote the campaign. :)
Also got another message concerning the story on the workshop, lmao. I can't fathom why they'd expect a good story out of this. Who cares?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Yeah you need the Steam version for now, no idea if there will be a similar thing for the GOG version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom