Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller
2nd biggest Polish gaming site (which was created by CD Projekt BTW) has reviewed Tyranny: http://www.gram.pl/artykul/2016/11/12/gestapowskie-fantasy-czyli-recenzujemy-tyranny.shtml

What's most interesting to me is that Tyranny is being compared to Age of Decadence in several places. It ends with the "probably the best pure RPG in the last few years that can easily rival Age of Decadence's brilliance".

FeelTheRads and Excidium II will surely agree.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller
2nd biggest Polish gaming site (which was created by CD Projekt BTW) has reviewed Tyranny: http://www.gram.pl/artykul/2016/11/12/gestapowskie-fantasy-czyli-recenzujemy-tyranny.shtml

What's most interesting to me is that Tyranny is being compared to Age of Decadence in several places. It ends with the "probably the best pure RPG in the last few years that can easily rival Age of Decadence's brilliance".

:killit:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am fundamentally convinced that beyond the QA and Sawyer no designer plays RPGs at Obsidian and if they do it is probably in story mode. It is probably just PNP people galore. I would say writers but I don't want to offend actual writers. You get to be bad at killing wolves if you are Avellone and can add something else.

Also the garbage blink strike that almost every single encounter pulls makes hate the lack of proper CC more and more. I miss ye Infinity engine even though I wasn't the biggest fan.
And you people competed about who can bash Siege of Dragonspear more because of 2 bullshit sentences while this game is much much worse and lacks a good and fun combat system.

I didn't bash anything. Shield of Dragonspear is alright, the RPG codex review reflects most of my thoughts.
Well that why I used plural. I didn't mean you directly but your post got me to remember how Codex treated SoD while it is a superior product to Tyranny in almost all ways.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I guess that's true in a twisted way because you know your average RPG fan probably won't get within ten feet of Age of Decadence for a variety of reasons, and even if he makes that bold mistake and does he'll run away like a headless chicken when he realizes it's not a walk in the park you can just play to "experience the story".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Vault Dweller

Bro, are you still butthurt about AoD not getting RPG of the year on this prestigious magazine?
Remember, I rated Underrail 4, while you probably rated AoD 5 (don't really care enough). Not my fault that even with rabid fanboys Age of Teleportation didn't make the cut.

Last edited:

Ravn7

Educated
If they took inspiration from Glen Cook's books, well, they fucked up.
Yeah. That concept of very old and "mad" mages was very interesting and memorable.

It was very hard to screw this up. Even Myth did it much better although it was long time ago in gaming industry.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Bro, are you still butthurt about AoD not getting RPG of the year on this prestigious magazine? Remember, I rated Underrail 4 and rated AoD 1 because I'm disgusting cretin, while you probably rated AoD 5 and Underrail 4 because you are honest. Not may fault that you were playing honest while I was being dishonest.

Fixed.

Nobody should brag about that tainted GOTY. I know I wouldn't. The truth is that if the system were different and tracked only the cRPG the got more 5s, AoD would won. Rather, we have Felipepe's stupid system that was designed to promote obscure games, instead of actually measuring the game of the year.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Look at the bright side. At least more people will know about AoD. That is free publicity.

Iri

Educated
A thing I realized about this game that instantly made me like it more- reminds me of Suikoden 2. Which is a huge, rose tinted (jrpg grinds are annoying) plus.

Also you fake-nerds are all playing on hard? I played Tyranny on PotD because everytime I read the dex everyone shits all over hard difficulty. I thought I was a goddamned weenie for doing first playthroughs on hard.

Now I am stuck kiting and actually relying on the sale of loot for potions- bastards.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Just finished the game, I liked it. Granted I didn't really expect very much I was pleasantly surprised. People talked about bad combat a lot and I wouldn't repeat much - I played on the highest difficulty and I had problems literally once, in the final battle of the first act in the ascension hall. Rest was boring but manageable which then turned into a facerolling and pressing all cooldowns since like middle act II. Battles with bosses were an exceptional letdown. Though there was not much combat at all and I can't say that I was hugely bored by it - I was more annoyed because of AI being retarded, I had to remove some spells from my companions since they always used them in the most unappropriate manner and it was a huge chore to manually control their every move. And I don't even want to speak about enemy AI.

I understand that they tried to present a low fantasy setting - that's why you fight 95% humans armed with generic bronze-iron weapons and armor but yeah, it could've been done much better. Loot was especially boring, at some point I even stopped checking most of it. The whole game is filled with a lots of stuff that I never had any real need to use - shit ton of consumables, a lot of money with nothing to spend them on, lost of useless magic accents (though I enjoyed spellcrafting system), spires as a concept (like, their only purpose was a teleporter with a build-in merchant, I used crafting maybe once except upgrading Barik's armour). Why did they even have skillchecks, I can remember maybe five times when I couldn't pass them. Zero times I couldn't pass a skill check on a field object (except a locked chest in the very first area).

The most annoying thing in the game for me was raising Verse's loyalty to like 2-3 and making her spill the beans about her secret mission and tragic past in literally the same dialog she joined me in right in the start of the game. Come on, that was retarded. But I enjoyed overall storytelling, reactivity, choices mattering and ability to kinda roleplay a character I want to be. At this front they certainly delivered - like other people said, it's a great adventure game with a nice solid story, you just need to somehow forget about combat. Though I didn't like the ending. It felt so rushed - act II was huge but after in ended I finished the game in like 30-40 minutes most of which was fighting. And I completely didn't undestand (ending spoilers ahead)
why the fuck did Tunon bow to me. Like, okay, he judged all of my actions up to this point. I could successfuly defend myself - with nothing mind-shattering, just really, all of the things I did were either in boundaries of Kyros law or were excused by circumstances and my authority as a Fatebinder. I acted as a professional and did what I should - I came there wanting to bow myself to Tunon so we can proceed with our boss-minion relationships. Instead he became all hot and bothered and talked about how my actions expanded his vision and swayed him from Overlord side (what the fuck, I though we were talking about ruling of just Tiers under general Kyros authority, no one told me anything about open rebellion). My character never felt powerful - sure, I did a lot of cool tricks but the main source of them was borrowed magic + ancient device combined. I didn't really phantom how I could best a centuries old Archons in open combat. But eh, I just went the flow. Last Act was a bit of a disappointment because of that.
But they promised replayability and they delivered - I'm planning to start a second playthrough next morning and I feel that it will be a completely different story with none of the same quest, feeling, companion and location (I never visited burning library at all). And maybe there will be even stuff left for a third playthrough. It's a shame that the ending is a blatant DLC-bait since they even tease you mentiong
Archon of Pox incoming (but never showing up) and lots of fluff about Kyros (but never ever letting you even speak with him/her). I fully expected Calio to be Overlord in disguise, but eh.

Good game overall, I would recommend it to general/casual people. I didn't recommend Pillars, for example, though I finished it on release and never touched ever since.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So, some questions for those who have finished it.

-Can you "go rogue" and overthrow your master(s)? (Or is this built into the story itself?)

-Does it set up for a sequel?

-Are there any timed quests beyond the first one?

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
So, some questions for those who have finished it.

-Can you "go rogue" and overthrow your master(s)? (Or is this built into the story itself?)

-Does it set up for a sequel?

-Are there any timed quests beyond the first one?
- Yes (Yes).
- Yes.
- No.

oscar

Arcane
I'm enjoying it far more than Pillars of Eternity that's for sure. I almost feel guilty for removing from inventory.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Bro, are you still butthurt about AoD not getting RPG of the year on this prestigious magazine? Remember, I rated Underrail 4 and rated AoD 1 because I'm disgusting cretin, while you probably rated AoD 5 and Underrail 4 because you are honest. Not may fault that you were playing honest while I was being dishonest.
HUURRR DURRR

Ahah, you're even more butthurt.

Rating something 5 is about as honest as rating something 1.

I honestly found AoD to be unplayable crap. You honestly found AoD to be mana from the gods. I don't see how your honesty is bigger than my honesty.

Ah, I know, fanbots always believe they're right no matter what. Not unlike, say, religious zealots.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Bah I would only care about the combat in the review, but knowing Obsi I don't expect much if anything at all... Other aspects like writing and visuals were already shown and discussed.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I honestly found AoD to be unplayable crap.

You honestly never give a damn about whether the game is actually worth playing or not, because you decide early on that you were entitled to dismiss the game as garbage because it was made by a codexer. You don’t know what kind of builds you can make, the amount of C&C, the types of items, the quality of the writing, and how it stands among other cRPGs. The reason why I know this is because every time we have these discussions, you have no arguments at all. In order to have legitimacy in your criticisms, you need arguments to show what you are talking about, but you have just edginess. You are balloon full of hot air.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
He teleports, gets his ass handed to him.
He doesn't teleport, gets his ass handed to him.
He does what every sane person does: Blames others and teleporting.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Fixed.

Nobody should brag about that tainted GOTY. I know I wouldn't. The truth is that if the system were different and tracked only the cRPG the got more 5s, AoD would won. Rather, we have Felipepe's stupid system that was designed to promote obscure games, instead of actually measuring the game of the year.

It's like you don't support Electoral College. :mrpresident:

Unwanted

Hegemon Severus

Unwanted
Dear Peasants, ive played over 8 hours now and i can recommend this game as another great crpg position in great line of PoE, Fallout, Torment, Ultima, Baldur's and rest "classic" titles.
Massive rpgish erection for everyone who loves to read and as i assume every rpg fan love to read becouse good story is core of every fantasy universe and it's contents.
As i played since early 90's i can say it will be one of titles i will gladly remember as one of best crpgs around.

:slamdunk:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dear Peasants, ive played over 8 hours now and i can recommend this game as another great crpg position in great line of PoE, Fallout, Torment, Ultima, Baldur's and rest "classic" titles.
Massive rpgish erection for everyone who loves to read and as i assume every rpg fan love to read becouse good story is core of every fantasy universe and it's contents.
As i played since early 90's i can say it will be one of titles i will gladly remember as one of best crpgs around.

:slamdunk:
That was pretty weak. Whose alt are you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom