Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the worst game you played from the past 10 years?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Have to go with a tie: Dragon Age O (so much so I completely ignored this entire series since) and Mass Effect III (not because of the ending)...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I didn't think DA:O was too bad, I liked a lot about it and at least it was a modern tactical RPG. It just didn't do a great job of it compared to the classics. The others in the series are garbage though. At least Inquisition had a big budget though, it has some of the best graphics I've ever seen and a huge world and lots of content. Unfortunately it is not good content and the combat is extremely lame. DA2 is the worst though, everything about it is crap and it had a small budget too. So it wasn't even slick crap.

Freddie

Savant
During past 10 years I think I have avoided most the worst.

Moment of Silence, it's older (2004) adventure game. Hate mention it in this thread. Great idea, pretty good puzzles, interesting plot but technology just wasn't there for kind of implementation they tried. There's just too much walking around from one screen to other. I rarely say this, but way too much content for going back and forth between different locations. I get somewhere half way during summer but haven't played it since. It's came just too tedious.

ME3 of course... but I finished it.

Battlefield 3. Got it free from Origin. Finished it but I'm not sure what to think of it. It's like it tries very hard, but in the end it has no soul. It's like... Mars level in ME3. Something just feels like it's off.

Krivol

Magister
DA:O killed my faith in humanity. Even if the gameplay was not worse than nailing your pennis with hammer, dialogues were making me puke only a bit, I barely could stomach stupid world design (I mean biowerish >>4 segments you can go whenever you want, but you MUST visit them all, so the game is linear as fuck but doesn't look like it for reviewers<<) and choices are cosmetic (nice - you will get money because someone likes you; bad boy - you will get money because someone is affraid of you), but having stupid jerk in my own camp, saying that there is a quest for me, very important and should be done ASAP, and then hearing that I have to pay for the content... OMG it's like puting Donald's Trump hairs into your ass and letting all dogs from your district to rape you in a very violent way.

BioWare - just kill yourself. Or let EA to do it for you, dumbfucks.

Norfleet

Only if all the games were available at the same time.
The Decline, as manifestation of entropic decay, is inevitable and inexorable. The entropy of a closed system must always increase. Therefore, things in the future will be even shittier than the things we have now. The only way for a better game to exist in the future is for you to put energy into making it...which makes you the dev, disqualifying you as a player.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
LOL, guys, you don't even know what bad games are! You are going around about Dragon Age Origins, Thiaf, Fallout 3 and the like, which are of course mediocre to bad games, but really these are the worst you have played?

Oh boy, you "missed out" on so much delicous stuff. Like The Walking Dead Survival Instinct, or Godus, or X Rebirth or Zombie: Driver or Salvation Prophecy. These games scar you for life, men. Don't ever work as a paid reviewer. It kills your hobby more than the Codex would ever could.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Considering the restrictions placed by the thread title, I'd say Bioshock: Infinite.

The only good thing to come from it is this:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
It has got to be Pokemon Go, if we are talking about things that pretend to be games. If we go a little further back, I remember trying Postal because it was Computer Gaming World's "Coaster of the Year", and yeah....that is about right.

Why do you guys play so many shit games? Are you so OCD that you can't put a game down when you realize it's garbage?

For my part, mine is probably Dead State. I didn't hate it, and parts of it I actually really enjoyed, but objectively I can say that it is not a very good game. I generally don't play AAA garbage unless I expect to enjoy it (Dishonored, Batman, etc.) though.

pippin

LOL, guys, you don't even know what bad games are! You are going around about Dragon Age Origins, Thiaf, Fallout 3 and the like, which are of course mediocre to bad games, but really these are the worst you have played?

Oh boy, you "missed out" on so much delicous stuff. Like The Walking Dead Survival Instinct, or Godus, or X Rebirth or Zombie: Driver or Salvation Prophecy. These games scar you for life, men. Don't ever work as a paid reviewer. It kills your hobby more than the Codex would ever could.

Yeah but the examples you give are more or less shovelware. DAO, Thi4f and FO3 were blockbuster productions with tons of human and material resources put into them. And they are bland shit.

Considering the restrictions placed by the thread title, I'd say Bioshock: Infinite.

The only good thing to come from it is this:

I can honestly say BI music was great. Some of the art assets were too, but I got too distracted from the pseudo realistic look of most of the characters and how it doesn't fit at all with the Disney princess appearance of Elizabeth.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Didn't Finish:
Two Worlds -- Bland, boring garbage. I even kind of wanted to like it but I just couldn't.
Dragon Age: Inquisition -- I think I lasted around an hour. I shouldn't have bought this but I got tempted by the pretty pictures.

Finished:
Dragon Age II -- Utter crap, this and ME2 finally killed my interest in BioWare.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Released in last 10 or played in last 10? Played- Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader. I remember all the BIS forum drama surrounding its development, but just had to give it a chance. From Beth-level dialogue writing to uninspired gameplay, I got through Barcelona but could do no more.

WL2 is also up there, but I still haven't been able to get past the Ag center without it feeling like a paint-by-numbers experience. Maybe it's the temple of trials effect, only longer in the case of WL2 and I should give it a shot. It's so hard to when the game focuses on combat and I've already beaten Silent Storm so many times, or for Post-apoc RPG comparison, finished Fallout 1/2 untold number of times. The issue with me is contrast I guess; seeing what WL2 puts up, it denigrates itself in the shadow of its predecessors.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Have to go with a tie: Dragon Age O (so much so I completely ignored this entire series since)

No shit, the worst? I played and beat DA:O and while it wasn't good, it scratched the IE game itch. Except the endless roads, they were one of the most blatant examples of padding I've seen. I also didn't play any other DA games, but that's because I read the codex to save myself the wasted time :monocoledtroll:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I remember all the BIS forum drama

What happened? Extreme butthurt?
Short version: Yes.

Longer version: Yes, because F2 had been released and fans were chomping at the bit to get another Fallout game. Lionheart was billed as using the Fallout ruleset, loosely, but had a few critical problems for the fans on the forums. It was a different development team for one, and they adopted a defensive forum posture from the beginning. I don't recall Black Isle's devs being omnipresent on the BIS forums, but they were around and would spitball shit with the users (Tom French was the best iirc). The Lionheart team was new and there was a lot of talk of modifying / streamlining the SPECIAL system and skills, which made us Fallout fans nervous. There were a lot of specific game mechanics questions asked about Lionheart, but the devs gave mushy / non-specific answers. We all know what that means.

Anyway, Lionheart was released and bombed. I never bothered playing it as I had enough going on IRL to avoid a game denounced as shit by the community. Still, the lingering "what if" got to me a year or two ago and I played it. And it was shit.

pippin

I remember watching a making of video and the devs were saying they were inspired by Diablo, which has nothing to do with Fallout. Similarly, Ultima 9's devs were inspired by Mario 64 and Zelda, and you know how that turned out.

Lionheart, for me, is one of those bad/mediocre games with small interesting features, though. But those are very small indeed and even then I'm clutching at straws here. I will never forget how I accepted a quest to look for some person in the sewers and the sewers kept going and going and going and going and going and going....

agris

Arcane
Patron
I remember watching a making of video and the devs were saying they were inspired by Diablo, which has nothing to do with Fallout. Similarly, Ultima 9's devs were inspired by Mario 64 and Zelda, and you know how that turned out.

Lionheart, for me, is one of those bad/mediocre games with small interesting features, though. But those are very small indeed and even then I'm clutching at straws here. I will never forget how I accepted a quest to look for some person in the sewers and the sewers kept going and going and going and going and going and going....

Yea, I think the problem was that they weren't really interested in the mission- they just fit the skills and cost profile set by Interplay and needed to develop Lionheart, while lacking the desire to actually make the game.

Also, Diablo 1 is a great H&S. Lionheart sure as hell isn't. It's hard to square a circle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom