Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
FFS, what's wrong with these people? Daedalic rewrote the encounter design book with their FIRST RPG, but Obsidian & its so-called team of P&P fans / experts still haven't made a single game with good encounter design IN 13 YEARS.

Pillars of Eternity had better encounter design than Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale

Source: Completed IWD in 2013, BG in 2015, PoE in 2016.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
TBH I think a lot of the reason for the 'not really sure' reviews and lack of hype is that people are learning not to buy this genre of game at launch. They look at PoE, which has, since launch, completely revised its gameplay and gameworld. The changes to mechanics aren't just tweaking - they're fundamental shifts in class design and build, so much so that entire attributes have been reworked to the extent that they affect entirely different things than before. It's less along the lines of 'tweak the to hit bonus from dex', and more like 'dex now affects interupt chance and attack speed, instead of to hit bonus' - ok that's not the actual change, but it's changes of those nature right the way though.

People quite reasonably expect now that there will be new game areas, quests and massive alterations to mechanics in the next 6 months after launch, so why would they buy it now? I'll probably get this eventually, but I've got my Deus Ex:HR to finish (putting it on hold until Nvidia multi-GPU is implemented) and then a playthrough of Dishonoured 1's DLC campaign. After that I'll probably get Dishonoured 2, because that genre is usually mostly complete at launch, such that it will be a fully finished game by the time I buy it. Then I'll redo PoE, as that's finally a finished product, and by that time Tyranny and Torment should be fleshed out, finished products as they'll have been out for 8-12 months.
Age of Decadence fits in this category too. I wish I'd waited.

Iri

Educated
Impression- I like it.
It's the type of game that everyone that is cool is gonna shit on now, but if the codex is around in 8 years (god forbid) the kids are gonna be citing Tyranny as being a "guhd ol' rpg".

I like the commander begining thing. It takes to long to load and all, but for character creatin it gives a sweet "aw cool my little dude has a past and I helped flesh it out" vibe. The "cooldown" combat thing is pretty weird but makes sense I suppose. I can see it being more interesting with a bigger party (only played a couple of hours) and all. Story is good so far- I am interested. Definitely Game of Thrones vibes. That's the casuals market they're gunnin for.

I can get into this.

Buy it on sale if you don't like Obsidian. If you do like them it's worth it to kick 'em a few extra bucks. If you are an RPG nerd, defer to felipepe for impressions cause I bet he's got an elite takedown of this game. Otherwise it's good- the kind of game I wish that guy who types in all caps would review. THANKS BROS. IM OUT.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So no one has complained about the wikipedia hotlink system in dialogue/descriptions.

I guess it's not that intrusive then?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Then I'll redo PoE, as that's finally a finished product, and by that time Tyranny and Torment should be fleshed out, finished products as they'll have been out for 8-12 months.

Dunno, I doubt Obsidian will waste so much time in polishing this turd. Reasons:

1. they don't own the IP, Paradox does
2. Paradox won't spend more money on polishing this turd, especially if it doesn't do well
3. no Lord Autism (read: Sawyer) at the helm
4. they'll probably start working on POE2
5. the game is pretty small so they'll fix the things they want in a small timeframe

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was suprised by girlfriend when I got home and she got me this on gog (although since she used my account and paypal I basically paid for it myself) and I got to say I was pleasantly suprised by it so far
The game feels very off the track and all the better for it. Everything is not spectacular in anyway but good nonetheless... would probably enjoy this way for if it was turn based but still
I dont know if I would have bought it now (especially at that price) but I am kind of happy she did... I am suspicious about the present just after she got hooked on Metal Gear V and I can hear the TV with the PS4 on but still enjoying the game. Hope some Codexers give it a try and would like some impressions

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
FFS, what's wrong with these people? Daedalic rewrote the encounter design book with their FIRST RPG, but Obsidian & its so-called team of P&P fans / experts still haven't made a single game with good encounter design IN 13 YEARS.

Pillars of Eternity had better encounter design than Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale

Provide us some examples?

Nael

Arcane
Tyranny may be shit, but I am certain the coming years under Trump regime will help Obsidian make Tyranny 2 great again :smug:

Its time to make Nambibia, or whatever the name of the place is great again!

E79615B2B927866C9093B698E9E02D429263E6DF

842FEA99589F058BA9226FDA6277F8398AF9435E

5656065D50EC38C72A81535B26E139CD035F6DBB

:salute:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was suprised by girlfriend when I got home and she got me this on gog (although since she used my account and paypal I basically paid for it myself)

That's how you know she really loves you.:love:

"I know you like vodka & cocaine, Invictus hun, so I bought you 2 liters even if I don't know whether you'd like to binge & snort just tonight. But here you are. Oh and it's wiith your money."

ArchAngel

Arcane

Nope.
PoE only had one thing:
NoFunAllowed.png

Deleted member 7219

First impressions: it's bloody (no pun intended) good.

The extended character creation where you can set up the game world was a nice touch. Art style invokes Greek pottery - can't think of many other non-indie games that have taken this approach, so it certainly feels unique. Combat seems a lot better than Pillars of Eternity so far, but it's still early days. Dialogue, reputation and skill checks system are very, very promising.

Also, the animations (as in, combat animations, running animations etc) are probably the best Obsidian have ever put into a game. I don't really give a shit about animations at all but I remember some people criticising them in Pillars.

It feels like this game could be a showcase of Obsidian at their best, I'm looking forward to playing more of it tonight and over the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
the portraits are shit too, Kyros the Overlord must have made Picasso the plastic surgeon general of his empire or something
Well, if we talk serious, I think it has something with weird thing I heard about called bodypositive lol.
Which in turn is a simple thing - classical culture is built on the pursuit of beauty in thoughts and deeds, and if you destroy that basis, you'll destriy classical culture and will get new barbarism era.
Which is what happening today I believe.

Santander02

Arcane
Obsidian couldn't have picked a better time to release this game :lol:

"The RPG where the evil over lord won and you HELPED him"

Oh yes I did.

I think you know how will I go about role playing in this game :smug: , I'll pretend the rebel scum are those protester cucks in all those "progressive"American cities right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom