Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Realms of Arkania: Star Trail HD - less shovelware this time?

Do you want to support old-school role playing games by making a high-interest investment?

• Total voters

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
most importantly, there's no reason to change the Phex temple
Especially when you know with 99% certainty that they'll make a hack job of it.

Why do you think this? The new content in the BOD remake were all very competently done. I'm not sure what you are basing this statement on. The initial very buggy release of BOD remake, or the finely polished and amazing version there is of it now?

Have you played any new or created content by this team?

Turjan

Arcane
Idk, that's subjective, but slaughtering a bunch of priests just feels so... out of place and plain wrong. It's essentially the worst crime one can commit in the setting. Temple's easily the weakest part of the whole trilogy story-wise.
That reminds me of when someone gave Drakensang: River of Time a bad review because the mage quest line forces you to dig up some grave (commit "Boron-Frevel").

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They'll probably remove all the 4th wall breaking stuff like the Blade of Destiny adverts on the walls in the temple.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Early Access coming next week:

Why Early Access?

“Crafty Studios developed the first remake of the RoA Trilogy, "Blade of Destiny" and released it in July 2013, only months after the "Early Access" program of Steam was started. It didn't work out so well, and we had to continue development together with a very involved and enthusiastic community for more than a year after initial release to make it the game it is today.

We learned the hardest way possible that especially when developing a big game with a small team, is important to have early and explicit feedback in the process. From the very beginning of production, we therefore involved a small group of highly motivated players in the daily development. With the help of the Steam Early Access program, we have the chance to engage a larger number of players that can help bringing “Star Trail” to a shape the community is completely satisfied with.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We plan to end the Early Access Phase in February 2017.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The full version is planned to differ from the Early Access version in the following points:

ADDITIONAL LOCATIONS
The following locations are already created but not in final quality and will become accessible in the course of the Early Access phase:
  • City of Lowangen
  • City of Tjolmar
  • Roughly 15 small towns, known as "dialog towns" from “Star Trail” 94’ are actually explorable
  • Dungeon "Swamp of the Forgotten"
  • Dungeon "Temple of the Nameless"
  • Dungeon "Blood Pinnacles"

CUTSCENES

We are planning to add several cutscenes to the final version to the already complete ones. Already existing are beginning and ending of the Star Trail Quest as well is a few Intro scenes.

SOUNDTRACK

Together with our great composer Louis (big thanks!) we are rerecording the legacy soundtrack of “Star Trail”. Five songs, including the legendary intro already made its way into the Early Access Version. During the EA phase, more and more tracks of the original 38 track OST will make it into the game. Once complete our Early Access users will get to download the complete OST in their favourite format.

COMBAT

The combat system as it is will be expanded and extended, there is already multifield opponents like ogres, bears and dragons. We will add tactical options to make the battles more interesting and faster paced.

MODDING

Steam Workshop will allow for easy access and distribution of mods generated with the powerful tools available.

MAC OSX

Mac OSX will be supported in the course of the Early Access phase.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“We have broken down the current status of the Early Access version into the following points:

QUESTLINES

The „Star Trail“ questline is completely playable, the "salamander stone" questline is in place but lacks Tjolmar and the Temple of the Nameless Dungeon for short playthrough and Lowangen as well as the Swamp Dungeon for long playthrough.

ENVIRONMENT

The travel map with its more than 200 routes and dozens of encounters, fights and events is completed, the towns of Kvirasim, Gashok, Finsterkoppen and Tiefhusen are completed, can be entered and most of the events that can occur there are also ready. In addition, the large dungeons “Finsterkopp Pit” and “Phex Temple” are ready and explorable.

CHARACTERS

Humanoid characters that can also be encountered in towns can be designed using an integrated editor, they have dozens of characteristics than can be adapted to design them. Non-Humanoids have been mostly redone and expanded for a bigger number of opponents. Animations also have been redone, allowing for eight different kinds of (humanoid) attack weapon classes wielded and animated accordingly.

USER INTERFACE

The user interface has been completely redone, presenting even more information where it is needed and less where it is not.

MODDING

The already great modding capabilities have been expanded even further, allowing from new roads on the map to custom characters and customized battle arenas on top of the already known modding possibilities of Blade of Destiny HD.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“The Early Access version will have a lower price point then the final one. Customers, which decide to join the Early Access phase, will get the game around 20% percent cheaper than it will be after the game is completely finished.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“The community was always a corner stone for our game development, more so for our Realms of Arkania series than for any other game we ever made. We will have a close ear at the community for their feedback and suggestions for missing features, off balancing and game fun in general. Startrail HD is an oldschool hardcore party RPG which tries to stay faithful to the version released more than 20 years ago while updating it for a modern audience and implementing learnings from the first remake as well as from game design advances made in the past two decades. The amount and balance of these updates always was and still is a core concern for our efforts in making this game, which is why we will rely heavily on the feedback and suggestions given from the community in this area.

We will also have an ingame reporting and suggestions form in place, allowing players to report and get involved in the early access process even without leaving the game.”

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What are the odds that this will be the most commercially successful RPG release of November 10th?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't really see a pent up demand for another TDE remake, even though Star Trail is arguably the best of the trilogy.
But then, there seem to be over 80k owners of the first remake on Steam though, which is crazy, especially because there was a non Steam boxed set in Germany as well. (There were surely bundles since release, so it's of course hard to tell the real sales numbers.)

More telling is that the old game has twice the average weekly players with 1/3 of owners.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Im gonna buy it only to support dying art of covers with skimpy dressed characters.

header.jpg

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Even though I'd like to act all cool and smug and pretend I learned my lesson on the first one, I really didn't.

Turjan

Arcane
But then, there seem to be over 80k owners of the first remake on Steam though, which is crazy, especially because there was a non Steam boxed set in Germany as well. (There were surely bundles since release, so it's of course hard to tell the real sales numbers.)
I guess your hint at bundles was spot-on. You can pretty much always find a bundle that contains the game and the DLC, like this one at this moment (which does not carry an expiration date):
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/rpg-heroes-bundle

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I bought the first (with low expectations because of their lackluster trailer) mostly because TDE / RoA, even though I was really suspicious regarding the quality after seeing their trailer. But it was like 20 bucks for the boxed version. I wasn't really affected by the horrendous release quality because I haven't played the game longer than 1 hour since release.

staceybarrs

Ellis Studios
Developer
No, enough of everything.

I'll put my money of the next classic only when enough time has passed from its release that it can be safely argued that it's a classic.

I agree...The game was a delight back in the day.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Early Access is available now:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom