Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats future improvement

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Thread discussing not so much about specific improvements in Dungeon Rats, but about perspectives and probability of such improvements.
It is looks like game's reception is quite positive (at least that's impression I have), and I think that just a small, minor improvements here and there can make game even more popular.
While I have read this

AoD is a "world" with different factions, chatracters, stories, which makes it very easy to expand it in any direction. DR is a very self-contained game. It already has a lot of weapons/armor (the ones from AoD plus 20 new items). The only thing we can do is insert more fights, but I don't think it's a good option.

We will add more portraits for the player's character, but tweaking the enemies' portraits to reflect their in-game appearance is beyond our scope as it would take months. In comparison, AoD has 57 portraits, DR has 42 despite being a much smaller game.

Theoretically, IF the game does extremely well, we can consider doing another DR-like game set in the 'stranger in a strange land' ending, which would be a good way to introduce the Qantari IF we ever end up doing AoD 2, but it's a long shot at the moment.
I'm sure there is a places for improving game without much resources cost, and we can come up with something for that.

I mean it won't be like your main concern, but more like change in the type of activity for recreation, e.g. you are working on Generation Ship project, and when you feel tired of it, you switch for minor updates like different pathes for different builds, loor, etc.

At least this is how I imagime work on game looks like, and maybe it is all bullshit.
So, if yes how it is look like in general?

Bastion

Educated
AoD is a "world" with different factions, chatracters, stories, which makes it very easy to expand it in any direction. DR is a very self-contained game. It already has a lot of weapons/armor (the ones from AoD plus 20 new items). The only thing we can do is insert more fights, but I don't think it's a good option.
No, please no. These filler fights feel more like PoE than AoD.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No, please no. These filler fights feel more like PoE than AoD.
Not planned.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Aslo I noticed that in some places you have troubles to hit enemies - when you target enemy, you press attack but nothing happens most of the time, only one of 5-6 presses works, it was in ant queen chamber, on square near one of the wall.

Aslo noticed that when you did debuff attack (aiming legs), THC doesn't increase for e.g. artherial strike, not sure bug or not, maybe something in machanic. Noticed that with Claim Jumpers.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Overall, a mixed experience - it's just too linear and there are too many trashy encounters. However, giving levels more thought, adding some dialogue to characters and work, maybe some puzzles instead of dumb plant fights
That's what I talked about.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How does DR compare to Blackguards?
It is inferior. Better than the end of BG1, not as good as the linear early chapters, not even in the same ballpark as the middle.

If anything I would want VD&Co to add more stat checks. Cha10 gets a neat thing, but the other stats only get very minor items at the very beginning.

'stranger in a strange land' ending
Is this an ending of AoD of which I do not know?

Mozg

Arcane
It's really gamey but I think you should get refunded the SP invested into a follower when they die or you dismiss them. Maybe only another NPC replacing that guy would be eligible to take it.

Or, have a tickbox option to prevent a follower from gaining any SP while they're in the party. That way you could for example take one of the campfire shitters to meatshield a bit early on if you have the charisma without being permanently weaker for diverting SP into them.

Or, just give everyone a flat amount of SP every fight whatever the party size is.

Last edited:

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
It's really gamey but I think you should get refunded the SP invested into a follower when they die or you dismiss them. Maybe only another NPC replacing that guy would be eligible to take it.

Or, have a tickbox option to prevent a follower from gaining any SP while they're in the party. That way you could for example take one of the campfire shitters to meatshield a bit early on if you have the charisma without being permanently weaker for diverting SP into them.

Or, just give everyone a flat amount of SP every fight whatever the party size is.
No, just no...
You grindy bastard have some balls!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
How does DR compare to Blackguards?
It is inferior. Better than the end of BG1, not as good as the linear early chapters, not even in the same ballpark as the middle.

If anything I would want VD&Co to add more stat checks. Cha10 gets a neat thing, but the other stats only get very minor items at the very beginning.
I'd say that Blackguards is a much better game but it's also a full-price game ($40 pricetag even today, 3 years after release) with a proper development cycle. DR is a quick (hopefully fun) combat game we put together in 10 months and the price reflects it.

'stranger in a strange land' ending
Is this an ending of AoD of which I do not know?
One of DR's endings (use the portal).

Mozg

Arcane

No, just no...
You grindy bastard have some balls!

When you attack someone, you subtract your offense from their defense. It's a game of points. Doing things like optimizing the pinchin of da points is the thing the game gives you the scope to do to be better at it. I can abuse nets and potions as well as the next guy, but that's how it is. I'm going to do things like forego taking along peon characters for no sim reason if it means I'm throwing away them points.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
One of DR's endings (use the portal).
Cowards!

However, why did I not get a "beat the game at X difficulity" when I negotiated my way to maadoran?

And yet I finished another run today and found zero relevant bugs. Well done! :salute:
Eh, that's generous. There's plenty of issues: off the top of my head: Some geometry can be shot through, fire vials still make enemies spaz out sometimes(including making them untargeteable), monster armor doesn't actually enforce its crafting skill restriction. You can loot ore veins/plants multiple times by standing near them and clicking rapidly. Adding schematics while you have things marked for transfer can cause some weirdness.

Who tested this?!

Yeah. They're pretty much traps all of them. Doesn't take many fights for the extra SP to outweigh their benefit, and that SP is for life, unlike their sorry asses that you'll dump as soon as you leave rock bottom.

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
You can also equip/unequip armor while positioning your dudes but the inventory will show item duplication, though it goes away when the fight starts.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Things to improve:

Increase chance to dodge. Extra 15 chance to block and then extra chance to block ranged makes shield viable, but dodge have lesser value.

Weapons/items that one can only get from companions should also drop somewhere else (for solo runs).

Mozg

Arcane
During the setup phase before a battle, I must have clicked on the character portraits a thousand times trying to switch characters. The UI expectation for that runs so deep for me that I keep catching myself trying it. Also, tab-to-switch-characters during setup would be nice.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
It's really gamey but I think you should get refunded the SP invested into a follower when they die or you dismiss them.
:absolutely haram:

If you start with Throwing as solo players, you will get in trouble. You get some stones (not much dmg) and 10 (20?) crude throwing spears.
Basicly you dont have enough ammo for all fights pre getting throwing knives (Reinard fight). You can craft spears BUT you need 1 lb of wood to do it and you certainly dont have enough wood even if you decompose all shields/bows etc wood sources.
Interestingly enough you would do OK if you start as bow user if you conserve ammo and kill archer enemies fast for ammo.

Solution: can you give Throwing knives to starter character instead crude javelins or stones? And maybe add few lying around to get thru first 2 fights and then Barka and upper fight (to get to forge where you can craft them)?

Also does special proc override critical?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom