Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lords of Xulima II is on the way

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Lords of Xulima II; Numantian Games

The 2014 indie RPG Lords of Xulima by Numantian Games was a minor hit on the Codex, and it seems to have been reasonably commercially successful as well. Earlier this year, Numantian began soliciting feedback for a potential sequel on the game's Steam forums. It looks like they now have an idea in mind of where they want go with Lords of Xulima II, but before proceeding with its development, they're going to release a different game first. Yesterday's announcement has the details:

New Game Incoming

It has been a long time since our last update, yes, but don’t think the Numantian team has been on holidays since then. We have been working hard during these past months on our new game. We will announce it for Christmas and expect to release it for the end of Q1 2017. Although it is not LoX II or even an RPG, we are sure this game is going to please all that have enjoyed Lords of Xulima (even the main developers are playing it a lot instead of working on finishing it…). We will talk more about it in the next update, but let’s drop a tiny hint: its initials are T.A.B. Any guess?

The Sequel: Lords of Xulima II

We decided to create a different game before Lords of Xulima II for two reasons: First, to have more time to design it with new and fresh ideas. And of course, we will be continuing the original story. This story, by the way, will be much more epic than the first one. The first game, “A Story of Gods of Humans” is actually the prequel to the main story. Second, we would love to produce Lords of Xulima II with much better quality in all aspects: graphics, sound, and voice. We believe that the new game will help us reach that goal.

Keep in mind, behind Lords of Xulima, there are 4 years of development. Designing a 100-hour RPG, with the world, gameplay, mechanisms, puzzles, classes, and everything being coherent with the main story was like squaring the circle. And the sequel is much more ambitious.

We are very proud of LoX. It is not perfect, we know it, but we will use all our experience and all that we have learned so far to make the sequel even more special and unique.

Game Length and Replayability

We love long games, especially in the RPG genre. In the old-school days, games like Wizardy VII or the first Might and Magic games were huge epic games with 100+ hours of content. Nowadays it is rare to find a game that lasts more than 20-30 hours.With Lords of Xulima, we wanted to bring back those huge stories of the past when you had time to slowly evolve your party from weaker than rats to adventurous young men to powerful demigod heroes.

In this case, we think we went too far since Lords of Xulima is a bit too long. This isn’t a problem in itself, but the third part of the game suffers a bit, as it lacks in fresh content, too much combat, and less variety of enemies. We had to do it because of the long story. The eight temples / gods should have an equal level of importance. But to keep that in the story, the gameplay suffered. Nevertheless, with the last part of the game, it was interesting to drink the blood of a king through the horn of a demon or find an old sea-route in some ancient ruins to reach a small isle and there find a speaking chest with the most powerful weapon.

For the sequel, we plan on making it shorter of about 40-50 hours for the main story. However, it will have different endings depending on your actions. One of the endings will be especially difficult to achieve. Only the most hardcore players will be able to beat it after 100 hours+ of playing.

Additionally, we are going to focus more on the replay value. Since the game follows a story, there must be a lot of static content (dialog, places, puzzles, NPCs …). Though it won’t be a procedurally generated roguelike, there are some aspects of the game that can make every new game more random and unique:
  • More Variety of Classes: New classes that make you play the game in a different way. We will talk more about them it later.
  • Traps: Most traps will be randomly placed. With each new game, they will change.
  • Static Enemies and Random Encounters: In LoX I, they had a bit of randomness but in the sequel, they will be much different.
  • Dynamic NPCs: Some special NPCs will travel through the world. Their interaction will have important effects on the player.
  • Special random world areas and dungeons: Some world areas like Geldra and Pernitia from the first game will be generated randomly. Also, some optional and special dungeons will be random too.
  • Special Items and Artifacts: Every game will have a set of special items whose nature and location will change. Special Bosses: Some bosses will change with every new game, such as their nature and location.
What do you think?
Numantian plan to publish updates like this one once every few weeks. The next one will be about linear vs open worlds.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
This is great news.

This is fantastic news.

The only way it could be any better is if the kebab vendor in the next game gives extra chilli sauce.

Really glad about this news. The developer was amazing and his Lords of Xulima gave me real faith that real RPGs (Blobbers) were coming back.

If Bards Tale IV is half as good as Xulima and Xulima 2 is twice as good as Xulima 1, it's a new dawn of hope for the real RPG.

FB5DEBD533D5D89BC23CEF08C4C03E90C404851A

Fever

Educated
Fantastic news! I've enjoyed the first title and I'm just in the middle of the second playthrough - which I doubt will see an end - waiting for Dungeon Rats and Tyranny.

A bit more variety/controlled randomness would be welcomed, but honestly I didn't have troubles with the mechanics discussed above. I find party development in LoX deep and interesting enough, itemization is fine, classes/deities are not really balanced but who cares, sounds should be improved a lot while graphics are totally fine, and the battles are a bit too grindy (especially for the area clear bonus) but still bearable. I must confess I've played on old-school-veteran the first time around and I've found the game to be unnecessary frustrating in the beginning. Could just be me tho.

My only major grip with the game was the storytelling; I do hope they improve greatly in that department, which is not secondary in a so-called RPG.
Replay value is fine, giving us something actually worth replaying is even better. Interesting interactions, deeper dialogues, lively characters and an original story would make the game a memorable hit. Especially an original story: chosen ones and amnesiac protagonists should never see the light of RPGs ever again.

Anyway, good luck to Numantian Games: LoX2 will be a blind day one purchase for me.

Black

Arcane
Good, the first one was a blast with the only problem being the late game becoming too rinse-repeat.

jungl

Augur
They did a decent job of advancing the plot enough and dungeons/puzzles/traps kept me hooked enough to mind the grind.

Cynicus

Augur
Please, Numantian, just don't screw it up by fixing what ain't broken. File off LOX's rough edges, polish it up, and we're good.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
No idea how the fuck anyone can play and like this boring, repetitive, lazy, gamey piece of shit to desire a sequel, but why not. One thing it has going for it: it literally can only get better...

Good, the first one was a blast with the only problem being the entire game being too rinse-repeat.
Here, I corrected the typo for you. :)

Suicidal

Arcane
Did my civic duty and commented in the steam thread.

LoX was a good game with some annoying flaws that kept it from being great. If those are fixed then we could be looking at a much improved sequel.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
No idea how the fuck anyone can play and like this boring, repetitive, lazy, gamey piece of shit to desire a sequel, but why not. One thing it has going for it: it literally can only get better...

It's a blobber.

To improve:

1. Make it longer
2. Better loot

3. More puzzles like this:

A33A11FEDA5447412C92F9989869BB83745D2900

4. Some decent dungeon crawling

5. More puzzles like this (Golden Forest)

maxresdefault.jpg

6. Better towns

Cycle of Improvement + Innovation = In discussion for best ever Blobber (fingers crossed)

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

It's a blobber.

To improve:

1. Make it longer
2. Better loot

3. More puzzles like this:

A33A11FEDA5447412C92F9989869BB83745D2900

4. Some decent dungeon crawling

5. More puzzles like this (Golden Forest)

maxresdefault.jpg

6. Better towns

Cycle of Improvement + Innovation = In discussion for best ever Blobber (fingers crossed)

Yeah, more intricate dungeons and puzzles, less formulaic story (4 bad kings, 4 witch houses, 4 samey towns). It was okay length-wise and actually the 4 titans at the end were too much. I finished only the first one and the rest would have required more grinding.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
So what's good about it? I've tried to climb this mountain twice (first time tried with custom party and it was a mitake), but only got to second town or something. Was overwhelmed with very repetitive combat and the story which would better be absent. Also even default party suffers from balance issues - investing in daggers is a trap.

flushfire

Augur
They need to hire a decent writer. Sure, it's not the focus of the game, there's not too much of it and all that but Diablo 3 didn't have much text as well, doesn't make the writing any less shit. Put something in there that isn't so bad it detracts from the experience, at least.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I didn't like it much, but there's definitely some potential there, so good luck with the sequel. I will surely check it out, but a lot of important things would need to improve significantly (like itemization) while others need to be removed or completely revamped (the whole non-combat part of the game basically, with pointless time wasters like plant gathering).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Story and dungeons/puzzles are the main things that need to improve.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As I don't know anything these games, it might be nothing - but how exactly randomly placed traps add to replay value, or random encounters for that matter? Actually, this is a relevant question for any game.

For LoX2 - it's still the same story right?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As I don't know anything these games, it might be nothing - but how exactly randomly placed traps add to replay value, or random encounters for that matter? Actually, this is a relevant question for any game.

For LoX2 - it's still the same story right?
Uh, and I don't mean Lox2 having the same story as Lox1 - if someone thinks that. But let me instead rephrase my original question: suppose you have the same somewhat linear main story, say like in any classic Black Isle game. So now, the same story but the traps change places, a few encounters randomly different - that does not bring much replay value now does it?

- I don't think it's dumb question (((
rating_butthurt.png
))).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom