Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Jeff Vogel and crew at PC Gamer - Kickstarter for new engine planned in early 2018

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Avadon 3: The Warborn; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

In honor of the release of Avadon 3 last month, PC Gamer commissioned an interview with twenty year indie RPG development survivor Jeff Vogel and his loyal band of everyman playtesters. It's an interesting piece, offering a glimpse not just at Avadon 3, but also at the entire Spiderweb Software philosophy and the general sentiment in what appears to be Jeff's inner circle. Here's an excerpt:

Vogel started writing stories when he was around 10, and describes himself as a fantasy author who just happens to work in the medium of gaming. It's a bit surprising, then, that he's not really a big fan of the fantasy genre. “I read it some, sure, and I even like some of it. The Magician series by Lev Grossman is probably my favorite. It’s just not something I’m drawn to,” he said. “My favorite fiction is realistic fiction in a setting far enough from ours that it is basically fantasy now. I recently reread The Grapes of Wrath and was absolutely entranced.”

And while words are the backbone of the games he creates, he also believes that too much of a good thing is not a good thing at all. When I mentioned Obisidian's recent claim that its upcoming fantasy RPG Tyranny is built on more than 600,000 words, he seemed downright taken aback. He hasn't counted the words in his own games since Avernum 3, which came to about 200,000 words; he thinks Avadon 3 weighs in somewhere in the neighborhood of 120,000-150,000.

“But I think huge words counts are a real danger. I mean, 600,000? Good lord! That is longer that The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit put together. That’s a big, big chunk of verbiage. It doesn’t make me want to play the game more,” he said. “I think there is always a peril in flooding the player with words. Designers have discovered the joy of text. Now they have to discover the joy of brevity and skillful editing. You can almost always make a piece of writing better by shortening it. I loved the writing of Stanley Parable, and it didn’t have many words at all. And I’m about halfway through the indie hit Inside. That is a gorgeously written game, and it is entirely wordless.”

Vogel's appreciation for well-written videogames is shared by his fans. I spoke to some Avadon 3 beta testers, including homemakers, a data analyst, a computer science graduate student, and a theater manager at a major university. Despite the obvious diversity of the group, they do share some commonalities.

They tend to be older than the “average” gamer (no teenagers screaming into headsets in this lot); they have a long-standing (but not necessarily fanatical) interest in the RPG genre, citing influences ranging from Angband and Super Mario RPG to Morrowind, KOTOR, Dragon Age, and The Witcher; and they all say the storytelling is what brought them to Spiderweb, and keeps them there.

“The stories are always great. Jeff is a brilliant writer,” one fan, who goes by the name Istara, explained. “Spiderweb also really forces you to make moral choices, and there's usually no one 'perfect' 100 percent righteous choice. In this regard they have deeper replayability. The Companion system for Avadon is also cool, getting them to like you so they all stick with you.”

Something else Spiderweb's fans seem to share is disinterest in playing the game at higher difficulty levels. Danielle, another tester, said she was ashamed to admit that she only ever plays on normal difficult, but so does literally everyone else I talked to. It's a tiny sampling, but that unanimity has to carry some weight, considering how many RPG players tend to gloss over story to dig into the guts of a complex battle system.

I also found that, despite appearances, Avadon 3 isn't as obtuse as it appears. It was unexpectedly easy to play once I got used to the quirks of the interface, and while I got my ass kicked in a few fights I wasn't ready for, I soon learned that the game's openness (although I'm told it's actually quite linear compared to most other Spiderweb games) ensured that I could wander off, do other things, and then come back to tackle tough areas when I was better prepared. The looks belie the reality, in other words: Get past that crude visual element and you'll find a remarkably accessible RPG.

That's not to say it won't challenge you. “You actually have to make moral decisions, and the choices you make affect not just the overall ending of the game, but the small interactions you have with various people along the way, including your own party,” a player named Trish told me. “And those decisions are not easy, by any stretch. You can't help but feel a little icky about some of them, but that's what makes them so fun.”
Plus, there's the first details about the company's future. That's right, a Spiderweb Software Kickstarter to fund the development of a new engine. It's still a ways off, though:

Crowdfunding may not have revolutionized the indie game scene in quite the way some of us thought it would. “The illusions have all fallen away. Everyone now sees indie gaming for what it is: An extremely difficult, blood-sport kind of business,” Vogel said. But he's not making a principled stand against asking for money up-front, either. In fact, the first-ever Spiderweb Software Kickstarter is on the way. In two or three years.

“In two years or so I’m going to throw everything out and write a whole new game engine. When I do that, I think a Kickstarter will be a good idea,” he said. “All of those [earlier] games were sequels or remasters, so I didn’t need the money. I could self-fund and keep all the early sales for myself. Never forget: Kickstarter = presales. For our new engine, however, we will need some funding to get all the graphics redone. That doesn’t come cheap. So we are planning a Kickstarter in early 2018 or so.”

But don't look for a dramatic change in his approach to graphics, or anything else, when the new technology comes into play. Vogel said in his AMA that making good graphics requires a skill-set and resources that he doesn't have, and that he will “never, ever” be able to please gamers who are in it for the eye candy. “I will never write a really pretty game. I have to go for the Undertale crowd: people who can look past a mostly not-so-pretty game to the cool stuff under,” he said. “Our next game series, which I'll do after Avernum 3, will have all-new graphics. But honestly? You'll still hate them. They'll be a different low-budget thing that you hate. And that's fair. You can love or not-love what you want. But I have the budget I have and I do what I can.”

That will probably suit his fans just fine.
That's a pretty long-term announcement. I guess that tells you something about how Jeff operates, and how he's managed to survive all these years.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

Something else Spiderweb's fans seem to share is disinterest in playing the game at higher difficulty levels. Danielle, another tester, said she was ashamed to admit that she only ever plays on normal difficult, but so does literally everyone else I talked to. It's a tiny sampling, but that unanimity has to carry some weight, considering how many RPG players tend to gloss over story to dig into the guts of a complex battle system.

uh

a look at the forums might persuade you otherwise

There are a number of loyal Spiderweb buyers who seem genuinely drawn to his games because they are easy to break

Corvid

Novice
I'm not sure I care for his newer, simplified game design approach. I loved the Exile series, I loved the first 3 Avernum remakes, but I feel his work's gone downhill since then. Later Avernums felt less inspired, definitely less open-world which drew me to them in the first place. I ditched the first Avadon maybe halfway through and had no desire to return to the series.

Oh well. Remind me to check in 5 years.

tindrli

Arcane
I'm not sure I care for his newer, simplified game design approach. I loved the Exile series, I loved the first 3 Avernum remakes, but I feel his work's gone downhill since then. Later Avernums felt less inspired, definitely less open-world which drew me to them in the first place. I ditched the first Avadon maybe halfway through and had no desire to return to the series.

Oh well. Remind me to check in 5 years.

Countdown set

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20211013T23&p0=263&font=cursive

Aenra

I fail to see the point in this..

With a single exception (and that's debatable), you've played one Vogel game, you've played them all. Not to mean it negatively, not necessarily; there is a market for his games, and all is fine.
But said market isn't there for the graphics, now is it? Inversely, an expanded market will not be made possible -merely- because of better visuals, not today, not with all these other RPG-focused studios out there doing party RPGs with isometric and RTwP/TB combat; or rather, the percentage of increase a mere visual polish may achieve will hardly be worth the endeavour.
So lacking some other form of a (significant) upgrade, to systems, depth, gameplay or whatever.. this does not bode well to me. Even before i consider his rather pessimistic a nature and i must. It does affect things, his view; and said view in turn has often, and immensely, being affected by even the tiniest of disappointments/lapses.
If a plunge in the dark is what he's after (getting anxious perhaps? Diminishing income? Understandable), this really is not the way to go about it. Graphics are not what's keeping him "back". Or in a stasis, come to that. He is.

Then again, our resident fabulouzz mod already posted saying "cool, new graphikzz!!11", so who knows, maybe i'm wrong.
Regardless, if he makes a KS campaign where he has something -other- than visuals to show, i might consider it.

Zanzoken

Arcane

With a single exception (and that's debatable), you've played one Vogel game, you've played them all. Not to mean it negatively, not necessarily; there is a market for his games, and all is fine.
But said market isn't there for the graphics, now is it? Inversely, an expanded market will not be made possible -merely- because of better visuals, not today, not with all these other RPG-focused studios out there doing party RPGs with isometric and RTwP/TB combat; or rather, the percentage of increase a mere visual polish may achieve will hardly be worth the endeavour.
So lacking some other form of a (significant) upgrade, to systems, depth, gameplay or whatever.. this does not bode well to me. Even before i consider his rather pessimistic a nature and i must. It does affect things, his view; and said view in turn has often, and immensely, being affected by even the tiniest of disappointments/lapses.
If a plunge in the dark is what he's after (getting anxious perhaps? Diminishing income? Understandable), this really is not the way to go about it. Graphics are not what's keeping him "back". Or in a stasis, come to that. He is.

Then again, our resident fabulouzz mod already posted saying "cool, new graphikzz!!11", so who knows, maybe i'm wrong.
Regardless, if he makes a KS campaign where he has something -other- than visuals to show, i might consider it.

Agree with a lot of this. Vogel admits in the Reddit AMA that he doesn't even know what he wants to achieve. I think he's just finally gotten bored of himself and his place within the industry and wants to try something new for the sake of it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I have no interest in playing any Vogel game ever again, he has lost it for good. The only thing I might play in the future would be a Geneforge remake, that's it.

himmy

Arcane
Discussions on the necessity of this move aside, I think what's more important about this announcement is that Vogel going Kickstarter will be the end of an era. One of the last dinosaurs to keep using a 1.0 funding scheme for his game studio is going to try crowdfunding and I wonder what this says about the future of small devs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Discussions on the necessity of this move aside, I think what's more important about this announcement is that Vogel going Kickstarter will be the end of an era. One of the last dinosaurs to keep using a 1.0 funding scheme for his game studio is going to try crowdfunding and I wonder what this says about the future of small devs.

Isn't Iron Tower Studio using a "1.0 funding scheme"?

Mustawd

“I think there is always a peril in flooding the player with words. Designers have discovered the joy of text. Now they have to discover the joy of brevity and skillful editing. You can almost always make a piece of writing better by shortening it. I loved the writing of Stanley Parable, and it didn’t have many words at all. And I’m about halfway through the indie hit Inside. That is a gorgeously written game, and it is entirely wordless.”

:bro:

himmy

Arcane

Isn't Iron Tower Studio using a "1.0 funding scheme"?

Sure, but just like that madman who made KoTC and Cleve, they're so far out of the mainstream that they don't really "register" on any industry trends, I guess.

Heretic

Cipher
So in this interview he says he's not interested in fantasy and on Reddit he claimed he didn't like or play RPGs.

Why does he create fantasy RPGs then?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
So in this interview he says he's not interested in fantasy and on Reddit he claimed he didn't like or play RPGs.

Why does he create fantasy RPGs then?

If you turn your hobby into a job, you have to find a new hobby.

aratuk

Cipher

Future-proofing. Five to ten years from now, Spiderweb's current art assets are going to be less useful (to say nothing of their attractiveness) on high DPI screens. Scaling filters would help, but Vogel's games need to be just slightly more consumer-friendly than other games from Puget Sound, like Dwarf Fortress. Having ASCII graphics would remove a huge burden from Vogel, but he would probably lose some of those homemaker / theater manager players.

And change is desirable for its own sake, to alleviate boredom & sameness. Graphics affect the experience even for players who profess not to care about them. Vogel is talking about beginning a transition to a new engine in a couple of years, for a game that will come out a couple of years after that. Changing engines once every couple of decades isn't exactly setting a high bar — it's probably the minimum in order to not lose your mind walking the path of Blakemore.

Hey Infinitron, how about a Codex fundraiser to buy Jeff Vogel an Oculus development kit? Then he'll be able to plan appropriately for his Kickstarter.

Aenra

Need you always 7 lines of text to state the obvious, or am i being honoured with an exception?
Am aware why there's bound to be some superficially-minded moron who needs nothing but new graphics to feel excited(11!!1!!) about the same old. Are YOU aware of what i'm trying to say?

Let me help, as you're probably retarded.
- Cost to benefit ratio, in light of Vogel being a dying breed. More so since a) that's his own fault, b) said fact has nothing to do with his games' graphics
- Inability from his behalf to comprehend that scaling upwards, even if only superficially, entails dangers; the comparison bar will go upwards as well, putting him in direct contrast with AAA(ish) studios. His loss when that happens. Best case scenario? No gains from it
- Lack of self awareness and business savvy. In timing (he needed something fresh a decade ago, and here he is talking about said something occurring in about 5 years FROM now if we count dev times). In perspective (himself, his games, his fans and the RPG market as a whole, today). In his ability to adapt and improve his quality and his product. In his INability to either change or stick to his guns and stop whining; which he has been doing since like forever. Always someone's fault, except his that is
None of which are solved with nu-graphics.
(and as far as assets and upgrading go, that's every dev's/studio's curse; not unique to Vogel. What is unique is his belief they are the sole change needed in his games. Hence my stating all the above)

Feel free to ask for pictures if the above do not provide sufficient a form of assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aenra you are kind of dumb here, as you and many others are assuming that Vogel is trying to get better graphics. He's just making a new engine. In both the interview cited here and the Reddit AMA he says he's not making a new engine for the graphics and defends his art choices, saying some of his fans enjoy the graphics.

Also, his graphics have improved over time for each game series, so he does try for that, it's just not noticeable to someone who isn't a fan (I had no idea until Avadon 3).

And for the cost-benefit problem: If you've seen some of his speeches, you'd know he doesn't have to sell many games at all to break-even. The reason he has to sell anything more than 7 or 10,000 copies is because he's paying for his two kids and their future college.

I would agree with your last point on his lack of self awareness. His games have some big flaws and I don't think he can see them, or maybe he can't care after all that work.

Aenra

Grape_You_In_the_Mouth you rush to conclusions and worse, use them to judge others. Need i continue? :)

He does not have what it takes to utilise U4 in the way 'x' pewpew company can or does; same would go for Crytek, am not sticking to U4 here. What he -can- do with it, we've already had for decades. You guys, unwittingly, granted, have fallen prey to this abundance of hype and PR talk and forget that for example? Approximations of physics (and its results) have been around for decades now. Decades.. Just as functions that may indeed be more mainstreamed by now haven't really changed this much through the years, except perhaps in their becoming more easy to work with. Bit more effort and you could have them, did indeed, in much older engines.
Will U4, the above notwithstanding, offer him benefits? Definitely, no one's stating otherwise. Will all of them be relevant to isometric, slow combat RPGs? Naah. Are any of them --essential-- to producing a good Indie RPG? Indie mind? Again naah. So excluding some conveniences and tweaking potential, what -does- he get? Get as in quantifiable, recognisable by his clients? Brand name and the graphics that go with it; that's what.

So, keeping in mind that you're just the guy killing pixels, whereas he's the guy that has to make a living from it (his bad decisions will only affect your next two or three posts but could easily affect his whole life) let us go through this again:
If a transition from his current toaster to U4 is so large that it will require not only 'x' number of years but a full KS funding on top (assuming it succeeds of course)?
If said transition offers only a minimal benefit (you get what you're able out of it; could name you right now 5 or 6 Indie RPGs that used U4 and sucked badly) outside graphics?
And if graphics were never what kept him 'back' in the first place?

Can you still say this makes sense? Because his phrasing indicates that this is a S.T.E.P. forward, not a mere (and inevitable for most, not all) engine upgrade. Plans based on it and so on.
I can't. We all need a change now and then, worst case scenario, still makes us feel better. His change should have fuck all to do with -this-.
edit: ultimately, if a facelift is all he thinks is lacking, he could get the 'juvie' kit and pay the per-unit-bought fee, just like everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom