Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Hyperion

Arcane
I'm fucking around in PoE using my own multiclasses with IE Mod. I started off using the 50% more XP per level mod and granting multiclassed characters 1 additional talent from their off-class every other level. It quickly became boring because it was taking too long to level and advance. I decided to lower it to 25% more XP per level, just to get the ball rolling more quickly. While a ton of fun, it's a disaster for balance, and the game became even more of a cakewalk than it already is.

Due to system limitations, a lot of main / off-class combos aren't possible as far as I know. For example, a Monk, Chanter, or Cipher can't be an off-class because I don't know how to add their resource to a character. Adding a Ranger pet to any of these 3 classes also causes a problem because the Pet's portrait covers up their resource. You also can't off-class a Wizard, Priest, or Druid to any class that doesn't have level-based spells. Wizards can't be an off-class because the Grimoire is locked to all other classes and I don't think it can be unlocked. WHile this sucked at first, I spun it into a positve, as most of these classes have shit health and defensive skills. If you want to multiclass them, your character may have to take a defensive hit.

It's a bit tricky getting a character to use a Soulbound his off-class can use, but his main class can't. It requires you switch his main class to his off-class, bind the weapon, switch back to his main class, and re-add all of the bonus talents. Pain in the ass, but hey, it's the price I'm paying to do stupid shit.

My Party, currently sitting at level 12 on Hard:

PC - King Wayfarer / Barbarian: Started off extremely vanilla. AoE Flames of Devotion from Carnage was pretty cool, but once I used those up in a fight, he just autoattacked and blocked a chokepoint while everyone else had to do the heavylifting. Once Level 11 came around, everyone else's effort paid off and this guy flew off the handle. At level 11, he picked up Heart of Fury and can charge into a group of 7 or 8 enemies and instakill them all. He's Dual-wielding Steadfast and The Unlabored Blade. Every attack has a 15% chance of proc'ing either Sunlance, or Firebug in an AoE around him from Carnage. With Scion of Flame Sunlance will crit in the 120 - 150 range depending on the target. Vigorous Defense from Ryona's Breastplate (+20 defenses), Stalwart Defiance modifying Savage Defiance (+10 defenses in SD), and the Wild Orlan racial (+10 defenses when targeted by will attack) all seem to stack and grant him a monster +50 all defenses. I had him stand in the lower left corner of the area, and solo the Alpine Dragon, Oozes, and Ice Blights while everyone else struggled with the spectres and collateral damage from AoE from the Dragon. Broken. Simply no other way to put it. And he doesn't even have Sacred Immolation yet.

Eder - Chanter / Fighter: This one actually feels really good. I always hated Chanters because they feel like a waste outside of PotD because combat doesn't last long enough to use their invocations. IE Mod allows you to start a battle with maxed chants (which I avoided), but I'm sure it'd help the class. However, I didn't want to go totally overboard. Making Fighter his second class alleviated their problem and gave him some active abilities to work with, like Knock Down, Vigorous Defense, and Clear Out. I decided to skip out on the Summon chants since they're mostly wasted on Hard, and go with the CC, healing, and damage ones instead. Between the Fighter's passive healing, the passive regen on chants, and Shod-in-Faith, he's basically unkillable, even with a two-hander. Gave him The Grey Sleeper for some extra wallop when Twin Stones goes off.

Kana - Druid / Rogue: While a seemingly conflicting combo, I like this one a lot too. In heavy armor and a shield, with Nightshroud in his main hand, he's a competent melee DPS / off-tank who provides a TON of AoE damage and CC with spells. In normal fights, he's not excessively powerful, but Deep Wounds applies to targets hit by his spells that deal Slash / Pierce / Crush damage. I'll have to doublecheck the combat log to confirm this, but I'm almost positive it works. Hiravias obviously would have been easier, but I wanted to get Kana in my party because he's an idiot and has decent interaction with Durance.

Aloth - Wizard: Couldn't think of an off-class for him. Was going to go Priest, but have Durance in the party already. 2 Priests and 2 sets of spells is overkill. Ninagauth's Black Pages make Wizards awesome, plain and simple. Maura's Tentacle Rape and Ninagauth's Shadowflame are WAY too strong for level 4 spells. These, and Slicken are typically the only ones I need for fights.

Durance - Priest / Ranger: Decided to build him around Inspired Flame while wielding an Arquebus, plus Cleric / Ranger was my favorite class while trying out Baldur's Gate. Obviously a completely different beast from its D&D counterpart, the support from Priest is unmatched, while the Ranger talents supplement his normally shitty damage nicely. Swift Aim, Gunner, and Marksman make him perfect for taking out back row enemies while keeping mine alive. Replaced his Arquebus with Twin Sting. Keeps the Inspired Flame accuracy bonus, loses the -5 Arquebus penalty, and gets a 25% chance to cast Plague of Insects. Takes his anti-caster capabilities over the top.

Grieving Mother - Cipher / Ranger: For a Ranged Cipher, it seemed the only logical choice. And what a broken choice that is. Between Stormcaller, and Driving Flight, which allows her to hit targets in a 20 degree cone behind the main one, her Focus generation is absolutely ludicrous. One Wounding Shot will provide enough Focus for an Amplifying Wave. This is generally my Paladin's cue to use Heart of Fury, kill 5 - 7 things and proc Strange Mercy 5 times, fully healing the entire party for damage they never took.

Long as fuck I know, and I apologize for that, but I'm having a ton of fun even if it is trivializing the shit out of the game. Obviously my method was not the best for multiclassing rules, but it's got me genuinely excited for how they'll handle it in PoE2.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Could someone recommend a game that I could play for 10-15 minutes and feel completely content and satisfied, without any need to keep playing until after a day or two? Nowadays I can't get into games that take too much time, but I still would like to play something occasionally.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Could someone recommend a game that I could play for 10-15 minutes and feel completely content and satisfied, without any need to keep playing until after a day or two? Nowadays I can't get into games that take too much time, but I still would like to play something occasionally.
Sex? It passes every criteria you mentioned.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Platformers like Super Meat Boy where you have lots of small levels which take a few minutes at most to complete?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I recognize the... symptoms. Here, let me help:

Papers, Please You could play one day gametime, each day realtime. Maximum immersion.
One Way Heroics is also a good one.
VVVVVVVV Platform/puzzler where each level doesn't take long
The Way Same, more adventure/platformer style.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter

honestly i feel the same from time to time and more often lately.
unfortunately, rpgs and/or deep strategy games dont fit your requirements.

personally i do enjoy me some sport games (on the PC of course^^), trash like Heroes of the Storm or other silly games like Rocket League ect.
dont judge me, but those are like perfect for a short and dumb play

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Crimsonland.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Binding of Isaac.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Could someone recommend a game that I could play for 10-15 minutes and feel completely content and satisfied, without any need to keep playing until after a day or two?
Door Kickers seems like a pretty fun little game based on the hour or so that I just spent with it. A real-time top-down tactical game where you command a small squad of SWAT guys and take down bad guys. The levels generally only take a couple of minutes if done successfully, and I doubt there's going to be any grand overarching plot or anything later on.

And yeah, sports games should also fit the bill, as you can easily fit a match of Pro Evolution Soccer into fifteen minutes of spare time. You should probably stay away from more in-depth stuff like Football Manager, though, as it will consume your life.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Ended a run of New Vegas DLCs. I played them in short bursts with months of pause between each of 'em, so maybe my memory went places. As a basic point, we all know that the F3 engine can't offer any kind of combat that's not at best boring and at worst terribly painful.

Old World Blues: First one I played. OWB is a weird beast: it's deeply, well, stupid and comedic, channeling the worst parts of Fallout 2 shitty jokes. Honestly, the performace of the voice actors and the creativity of the writing made me chuckle a pair of times. It must be approached with the mentality of watching a terrible, self-aware b-movie, but it has enough skill put into it to be amusing. The Sink Personalities were another attempt to give you more comedic situations and another incentive to get around exploring.

Exploration, the only adequate point of Oblivion-derivatives, is good. OWB gives you a ton of peculiar places, every lab built on a single strong "concept" (like the Stealth Suit proving ground or the concrete jungle).

Combat is.... bad, but not infuriatingly so. Enemy variety is adequate, even if after all they are reskins of basic F3 enemies (even the suit skeletons are nothing but generic humanoid enemies, and the roboscorpions are.... well, rather though for a 10-15 level character). The final battle with the Giant Roboscorpion was rather disappointing, though, but what you can do with such an engine bar tons of HP?

In the end, OWB is a rather strong expansion. New equipment is fun to use even if heavily unbalancing for the base game, exploration is fun, the new map is big enough and well-built, the characters are good enough for the comedy role they are given. Of course, the "traditional" Fallout 1 sense of wonder and danger is completely gone: but as a side experience, it has been rather fun.

Honest Hearts: Honest Hearts has a great potential setting. We see a different post apoc world, where tribes fight and die between each other and the shadow of the old world has been forgotten. Mostly. Zion Valley should be an interesting place, with an inferior tech level compared to the main areas.

Writing is, well, mediocre. The central conflict is made clumsily, resolution is sudden, quests are subpar, characterization is non-existent. Everyone tells us how awesome Joshua Graham is and ... well.... he's a flat, boring, mediocre character with generic voice acting. The conflict between him and the pacifist Mormon guy is barely explained, and the protagonist is given the final choice without any good idea of why, who, or what is happening. It's because plot says so. Companions are irrelevant.

Plus, the MUH MORMON MUH GOD OF THE ANCESTORS MUH PACT MUH RELIGION was cringeworthy. No place for that in the Fallout Universe. Shut up, I don't care about MUH COVENANT. The survivalist diary was nice, though. That one was a good idea. The best character of the DLC has been dead for centuries.

Exploration was also mediocre. Welcome in a Oblivion cave. Welcome in a Oblivion cave. Welcome in a generic building. Welcome in a generic building. Terrible.

Enemy variety and combat-related matters.... boring, recycled, a drag. We managed to get the mutated bears from F3 here, guys, awesome :roll:. The final "boss" was laughable. Honest Hearts managed to reach the dreaded "I don't care about this setting, I don't care about the characters, I don't care about the combat".

Dead Money: Dead Money is an experiment. Can we build a survival horror with this shit engine?

Writing is good. Very good. Sure, plot is cliched, but the characters are an interesting and creative bunch. The main foe, Father Elijah, was already estabilished in the main game and he's a powerful, smart and desperate voice-with-an-internet-connection. The fact that you are at the service of your main enemy, System Shock 2 style, is a good way to reinforce them as characters. Dog\God was nicely done, and Christine's writing made me smile thinking that she was written for a 2d Fallout. Dean is an asshole. For once, what you say on every iteraction counts. I liked the reactivity and the well-build dialogue trees: from making Dog snap his own neck to avoiding getting on Domino's bad side.

Exploration was ... peculiar. The maps themselves aren't bad, with the Cloud and the explosive collars making exploration a bit more.... entertaining. Plus a ton of traps. Plus no free healing. Combat manages to be almost.... good, I dare to say. The ghost people are interesting foes, and the Holograms are as creative as the shitty engine allows. Final combat was nothing special, but the option to sneak out was a welcome thing. If only there was another way to tell the player to do that without a pop-up screen.

DM is probably the best NV DLC. OWB can be "good", but it needs a peculiar approach to be enjoyed.

Lonesome Road:

Welcome to a short, linear experience where you fight 95% of the time reskinned variants of the main game enemies, tons of Deathclaws, a new enemy that appears in five areas top, and you have the endure the ramblings of an America-obsessed guy who's supposed to be the best at everything and instead keeps blabbering about things that no-one cares about. Retirement home simulator 2011.

And all the Divide is recycled content from the baseline game or F3. The only new mechanic is laughable: see, guys, explosive barrels. But now they are nukes! NUCLEAR EXPLOSIVE BARRELS TO CLEAR THE WAY!

The final fight was adequate, though: it keeps throwing at you a ton of enemies, and melting the rambling asshole into puddle was heartwarming.

What the fuck where they thinking when they released this thing?

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron

Crimsonland.

Man, I used to play the original version waaay back. Are there any other games like this? I vaguely remember playing a similar game, but instead of spiders and zombies you were shooting aliens.

Endemic

Arcane
The final fight was adequate, though: it keeps throwing at you a ton of enemies, and melting the rambling asshole into puddle was heartwarming.

Ulysses is kind of a bro after the Lonesome Road ending, if you talk him down with speech checks\his tapes (you can go back and talk to him, he gives you some crafting recipes as well IIRC). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smNI_LIHq38

It's a real shame that he wasn't in the main game as a Legion-aligned companion, LR can't do his character concept justice.

How about FTL?

bloodlover

Arcane
Playing IWD 2 again and I got beyond frustrated in Chapter 3. I played this game 10 years ago and I don't remember the bloody forest being so annoying. Well, at least it's over.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Started playing Serious Sam Classics Revolution on Serious difficulty. Not digging the frequent surprise buttsex spawns, looking forward to more open areas (or better weapons, I'm not looking up secrets online).

Binding of Isaac.

Isaac runs will start lasting between half an hour to an hour before long.

You really like to use italics.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
How about FTL?

It's way too addictive, I can't stop after playing for 15 min. :negative:

anus_pounder

Arcane

Pillars of Eternity. You'll play it for 10-15 minutes and then feel a deep sense of contentment and satisfaction from stopping. You'll find yourself wanting to try again eventually and then start it up again for 10-15 minutes until you remember why you stopped in the first place.

EDIT: After thinking it over a little, you could play any RTwP game really and get the same result.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane

They think short adventures are worth the time to them justice. And players' experience are varied.

I mean, what the fuck? I replay each DLC at least twice without bothering to complete the main campaign. They are the good stuffs.

Honest Heart is good safari simulator. I go around, aim at target with my scoped rifle and shout "Reload" to my imaginary african game guide. Like a white man hunter! As I am not a kwan, i dont give a flying fuck about Mormon and shit~

Dead Money is a good example of designing horror game with that engine. I hate horror game and surprise. The first time playing that shit I get stressed. Also this and HH are a good example of resource limitation done right. You scramble for stuffs to use. Even HH with the right perk still feel survival-ish, unless you cheat and bring ton of supply.

Old World Blue is eh~ like an SF action movie experience~

Lonesome Road is frankly yawn inducing. I rate it as the worst of the pack~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom