Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vigilantes: neo-noir, turn based tactical RPG

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Awesomeness

norolim

Arcane
At the minute - it records the character level, character type for each character in each tile. Name isn't stored, but it wouldn't be a big deal to do that. Right now, you're either going to take out the gang members or they take you out. It's likely the player team will be able to retreat and was considering having it so that gang members could try to run away - but this would have to be done carefully as too many enemies running away would be frustrating. It would be interesting to increase their level if they do get away. If this ends up being added (which would be nice for atmosphere) there would likely be a coward trait which some gang members would have that could be triggered given certain situations. I can't say for certain if this will be added though - going to have to see how things go.
This would be similar to the Nemesis system in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. It was a highly praised feature, so it could be your selling point on the casual, mass market. Just give it a catchy name :P.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
This would be similar to the Nemesis system in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. It was a highly praised feature, so it could be your selling point on the casual, mass market. Just give it a catchy name :P.

A keen observation, norolim. Given the amount of attention it received, and the fact some of the work is already in place for it, this would likely be a good area to work on. If only I had someone else I could tell to do it :)

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hi again,

In case you've ever wondered where Sam gets all his weapons and equipment, it's about time to introduce Cuda. Cuda is an arms dealer and with a shadowy past. He's been on the run from multiple international police agencies for over 2 decades, and all they know is his alias, that he's somewhere north of 55, and has the sort of smile people disappear around. Here's Olga's illustration of him:

ssbwU36.jpg

Currently auditioning for a voice actor for Cuda. Hope to have the voiced character intro to share in around a week!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hi again,

In case you've ever wondered where Sam gets all his weapons and equipment, it's about time to introduce Cuda. Cuda is an arms dealer and with a shadowy past. He's been on the run from multiple international police agencies for over 2 decades, and all they know is his alias, that he's somewhere north of 55, and has the sort of smile people disappear around. Here's Olga's illustration of him:

ssbwU36.jpg

Currently auditioning for a voice actor for Cuda. Hope to have the voiced character intro to share in around a week!

Backed and supported on GL, good luck on the campaign!

One piece of advice: I know art is expensive, but you've got all these character's leaning against the same 2D backdrop. It would add some visual distinctiveness to have the background change depending on the person's job/role/circumstances etc. For example, Cuda leaning on a palette of ammo in a warehouse. You could keep the same posture for the characters, just change the background tile and being smart about where to place the thing they're leaning on.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hi agris. Thanks very much for the support and for the vote. Cheers for the suggestion. We hope to include as much artwork as possible, so when we have all the basics in place, we'll work on figuring out the best areas to add extra art to, in order to maximise the value it adds to the game. For the most part, these illustrations will only show one per game, for 1-2 minutes, for the duration of the character's voiced intro.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Hi all,

I figured I'd share the script for Cuda's character introduction before we make the intro video. We've received some really nice auditions for this, and hope to choose one for the role over the next couple of days. Nice guy, eh?

Cuda Character Intro Script

28th September 2016. Agent John Street. Report ID ZX9-422.

We busted up the biggest cigarette smuggling ring in existence. The payoff? A name: Cuda. An organisation grunt revealed, under duress, that it's an abbreviation of “Barracuda”. Alias aside, all we know is he's male, caucasian, north of 55, and has the sort of smile people disappear around.

Following the disintegration of the ring, Cuda went underground for nearly a decade, before turning up at the head of a medium scale opium production operation near the northern border of Myanmar. He disappeared again, status unknown, after what appears to have been an... industrial dispute with a competitor.

Cuda surfaced again three months ago, this time at the helm of a black market operation smuggling low quality firearms to conflict hotspots around the globe. Damn things were almost as dangerous to the tin pot militiamen wielding them as the unforunates they were pointed at. Intel suggests he's operating out of Reiker. Been on this guy's tail for almost 20 years. We're close. I can feel it.

[Hacking cough. Brief dark chuckle.]
And that's what agent Street would have to say about me, were he still around to say it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The goals with Vigilantes was to create a turn based tactical RPG in a setting not commonly associated with the genre (a modern, crime riddled city), with very solid combat mechanics, and to avoid the current trend of simplifying RPG character systems.

*drool*

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer

Fuck i'm old.

Okay, need to nip this one in the bud. That definitely isn't going to be Cuda's theme tune : )

I am 22 and what is this
This my friend, was the 80s! A strange time when the mullet was considered the peak of fashion. I've held on to my mullet since then... only a matter of time until it comes back in a big way...

There's a free demo if you'd like to try it out! http://www.indiedb.com/games/vigilantes/downloads
And we could really do with a few extra votes on Greenlight - suspect Steam may Greenlight a batch over the next few days and it would be nice to get through on this one, rather than having to wait until next time round. If you'd like to check out our GL, and are logged in on your browser, it's here and if you want to open Steam directly on our Greenlight, this link will do that!

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Looks good but is every thug in the game gonna attack with spinning heel kicks? I found it kinda silly if you ask me, especially in a street fight. I doubt even most black belt karatekas would use that in a street fight because it's hard to land and risky.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Looks good but is every thug in the game gonna attack with spinning heel kicks? I found it kinda silly if you ask me, especially in a street fight. I doubt even most black belt karatekas would use that in a street fight because it's hard to land and risky.

TBF they also wouldn't stand around waiting for people to take turns either.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

TBF they also wouldn't stand around waiting for people to take turns either.

It's very hard to simulate a completely realistic combat system in a videogame while keeping it fun. But it's pretty easy to make a bunch of thugs attack with regular punches instead of spinning heel kicks in a street fight.

I'm not saying every game should be realistic, but unless the game is aiming to be silly, making it too silly turns me off a little bit.

I must admit though, I'm a little critical when it comes to martial arts since I come from a martial arts background myself. Always hated those Steven Seagal-like movies where every single thug in the movie is a skilled martial artist using a bunch of techniques that would never work in real life, so I tend to nitpick when I see it in any kind of media, including videogames.

Last edited:

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
It's very hard to simulate a completely realistic combat system in a videogame while keeping it fun. But it's pretty easy to make a bunch of thugs attack with regular punches instead of spinning heel kicks in a street fight.

I'm not saying every game should be realistic, but unless the game is aiming to be silly, making it too silly turns me off a little bit.

I must admit though, I'm a little critical when it comes to martial arts since I come from a martial arts background myself. Always hated those Steven Seagal-like movies where every single thug in the movie is a skilled martial artist using a bunch of techniques that would never work in real life, so I tend to nitpick when I see it in any kind of media, including videogames.

It's a fair point. Am looking at the possibility of reducing the move set, restricting the flashier moves to characters with high close combat skills.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Awesome. Either way, with Bruce Lee thugs or not, I'm probably still gonna support your game. I have a really strong weakness for tactical RPGs and any game that mentions JA and Xcom as inspirations has my full attention.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Am looking at the possibility of reducing the move set, restricting the flashier moves to characters with high close combat skills.
Could a highly skilled player char still stick to basic anims? I'm partial to brawler builds over martial artists.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Awesome. Either way, with Bruce Lee thugs or not, I'm probably still gonna support your game. I have a really strong weakness for tactical RPGs and any game that mentions JA and Xcom as inspirations has my full attention.
Thank you, Jrpgfan. In order to pair attacks to evades, impacts, quite a few factors have to be considered, for example direction, tiles with structures on them, defender weapon type, so I need to check this doesn't reduce the animation pool to the point where it can't solve the animation request properly.

Could a highly skilled player char still stick to basic anims? I'm partial to brawler builds over martial artists.
The above would apply here too. Something like this could be considered for a perk, with a bonus included.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom