Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Time to Conquer the Cold: Wasteland 3 Fig Campaign is Live

UnknownBro

Savant
W2 was shit.

Actions speaks louder than words charlatanry.

getter77

Augur
I fully expect the console editions to get bumped up to whatever the next generation of hardware winds up being if that late 2019 projection is even somewhat accurate---same as God only knows what version of Unity will be up to by then presuming they don't get fully bought out or some such in the interim. Honestly half surprised they didn't fully pivot to UE4 given BT and all in terms of the overall timeline, but I guess Unity's rehabilitation is progressing of late.

Hopefully one of the updates to come will actually get into how character progression will work this time around since it was conspicuously absent from the pitch page outright---in theory, with this being Fargo's big break out title not beholden to the past as he was hand wringing over on Twitter awhile back, surely they can do better than W2 at the least...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This year is basically done 10/12 2017, 2018 - 2019 (year in which game "comes out")
Also, it won't come out in 2019, which was what I'm saying.
But thanks for your honesty, w/e that means.

Late 2016 to late 2019 is three years.

I was referring to inXile's honesty. They could have lied again and said it could be done in 18 months; given that it's a same-engine sequel, they could have gotten away with it.

Fry

Arcane
2 year pre-order

It just doesn't make sense to give money to guys like Obsidian, Larian, or inXile anymore. Back in the innocent days of 2012, it might have actually been true that if you didn't crowd fund it the game wouldn't happen. That's not true now. They have money and publisher relationships. WL3 is going to get made whether or not I give them money 3 years before the product exists, so what's my incentive? Feeling like I'm participating in the development process? At this point, that's more aggravating than satisfying.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Feeling like I'm participating in the development process?
Oh yes, just remember how W2 went...

"InXile, I read your posts, this mechanic is shit"
"It's in early development, wait for the alpha"
"InXile, I saw the alpha video, this mechanic is still shit"
"It's in early development, wait for the beta"
"InXile, I played the beta, this mechanic is REALLY shitty"
"Well, now it's too late to change anything bro"

Truly an amazing, collaborative experience.

As much as W2 was shit and InXile is the biggest hoaxer out there, doesn't seem that Fig had shipwrecked as the prophets of Apocalipse were claiming.

Fairfax

Arcane
inXile have embedded The Story of Fig on the main page now, so they must really want us to watch it:

This actually reminded me of this old thing: https://kickingitforward.org/
Were there any reports of anyone ever doing what the site proposed or are people just using it as another form of advertisement and then forget about it?

Yes. Well, there's no way to know if studios actually used 5% of what they raised, but you can see the projects they've backed. Obsidian has backed 197, for instance.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
inXile have embedded The Story of Fig on the main page now, so they must really want us to watch it:

This actually reminded me of this old thing: https://kickingitforward.org/
Were there any reports of anyone ever doing what the site proposed or are people just using it as another form of advertisement and then forget about it?

Yes. Well, there's no way to know if studios actually used 5% of what they raised, but you can see the projects they've backed. Obsidian has backed 197, for instance.

Yes. Well, when I read fig I think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyzrKPcLpBw

Apexeon

Arcane
They are giving out copies of Underail so you know what a good game looks like. While you wait for them to make sure Wasted 3 works good on the console in 2021 after you have beta tested on PC for them.

Last edited:

hpstg

Savant
I saw a lot of people taking about a new generation of consoles. There won't be one. Both Microsoft and Sony are now using the app store model. Expect staggered releases and no real direct competition. Everything will be backwards compatible to the original PS4/XboxOne, that was one of the reasons for switching to a much more common and simple hardware platform like x86/GCN.

The Scorpio will release in more than a year from now, that makes it a 2018 release, and Sony will most likely release an update to the PS4 Pro 2,5 years or more from now. Whenever the even newer than these systems come (and they will need a mature 7nm process since AMD looks like it's going to be skipping 10nm), they will play all the older games.

Consoles are now like mobiles. They have "app stores", software is compatible between new/old models, and new (backwards compatible) hardware is released every three years, instead of at around seven.

If Wasteland 3 designed for the PS4/PS4 Pro, will run fine on every conceivable console, except a full-retard Nintendo one, up to at least 2025.

acer palmatum

Scholar
Lmao @ 2019 release. I bet they'll have done like 5 more crowdfunding campaigns by then.

Statistically speaking, some backers will die before the game is even released.

Statistically speaking, way more non-backers will die before the game is even released. As I chose life over death any day, I know what to do - once paypal is an option.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Three year pre-order. Q4 2019.

I appreciate the honesty.

If they were trying to be honest they'd say Q1 2020, because there's no way InEx are going to release it in October/Nov/December and go up against whatever AAA title is flavour of the month, they're pretty much talking out the side of their mouth. My bet would be March-September 2020 after inevitable delays.

4th quarter, 2019 when the current console generation will have doubled its penetration, will be wall to wall AAA titles. Every week in November will have an open world popamole mcshooter clone release because 150 dollar consoles.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Edit: Actually, I saw the collectors edition and am weakening.
You mean this mockup?

body_width.jpeg

R@tmaster

Educated
It’s funny how everyone talked about how we all need middle developers, niche games, PC gaming renaissance and so on. And here we are, almost 7 million project, Playstation and Xbox releases.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It’s funny how everyone talked about how we all need middle developers, niche games, PC gaming renaissance and so on. And here we are, almost 7 million project, Playstation and Xbox releases.
Everyone is bogged down on console version, when it doesn't make or break a game. You can make a console version and a good PC cRPG, as other games like DOS, probably Torment have shown us.

Zanzoken

Arcane
It may not be make or break but you can't argue that a multi-platform release doesn't impact design.

A good cRPG that is designed to release on consoles would be even better as a PC exclusive.

Flou

Arbiter
It just doesn't make sense to give money to guys like Obsidian, Larian, or inXile anymore. Back in the innocent days of 2012, it might have actually been true that if you didn't crowd fund it the game wouldn't happen. That's not true now. They have money and publisher relationships. WL3 is going to get made whether or not I give them money 3 years before the product exists, so what's my incentive? Feeling like I'm participating in the development process? At this point, that's more aggravating than satisfying.

Even though they have the connections, it doesn't mean publishers will treat them well enough. The less money comes from publishers, the better for the game and the developer. It would be a real shame if after all work that has gone to make WL2 and WL3 some publishers would reap most of the benefits from WL3.
If the pre-order money allows them to make a better game, I don't see anything bad about it (and without that much publisher involvement). It's only 15 bucks for WL3 and the other 15 bucks is for Underrail/Stasis. I'll just drink one less overly expensive cider next time I go out.
Also Fig brings in the opportunity to invest in the game, not just back it. That investment fund has grown quite steadily even after the initial 1,2 million investment. So there's an opportunity to someone to both back a game they will probably enjoy and to make money with the project as well if it sells good enough.

I only dislike the timing from Fargo. Had he done this after Torment is out, it would be just fine. Writers, artist etc. need work. Now it seems a bit greedy from him (even though those same artists and writers might need the work right now). At least this time he is honest about the release date. They must have gotten enough flak from missing the dates for both WL2 and Torment that they realized people won't buy into their bullshit release dates.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It may not be make or break but you can't argue that a multi-platform release doesn't impact design.

A good cRPG that is designed to release on consoles would be even better as a PC exclusive.
True.

D!!

Educated
It's hard to get excited when their only released game was subpar at best.

What are you talking about? They fixed almost all the problems with the game after Director's Cut, except somewhat slow pacing. Wasteland 2 DC was extremely good and enjoyable cRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom