Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Leonard Boyarsky on joining Obsidian, Fallout & Bloodlines cut content and more

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Hyping and celebrity worshiping are useless mental disorders*. Instead of being emotional and anxious while you are waiting for the game, and grasping every single sentence out of context to feel hope that you will have other decent cRPGs to play, you can play other decent cRPGs, make a book about cRPGs, make a cRPG, read books, watch movies, learn a new language, get laid, drink wine, play some sports, make a garden, paint a picture, write a novel, throw a party and dance, learn how to play a guitar, build a bridge, save lives, etc.

* unless its aod we're talking about

That is a public service.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good interview and a good read. Although I would have liked to read more about Boyarsky and less about games he worked on.

You might also want to check out our earlier retrospective interview with Leonard: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8146 It's still mostly about games he worked on - but it's occasionally more detailed about his own experiences and preferences.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My take is they're making an Arcanum spirital succesor in Bioshock/Dishonored style.
Reason for this> if you're making a game in UE4, it won't be 2D, otherwise it would be an overkill.
So, 3D action cRPG in UE4.

I'd definitely play a first person TES style arcanum.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, I agree that top-down/iso does usually have better/easier world interaction.

It doesn't, unless you consider pixel hunting "better/easier". Top down/iso is good for one thing and one thing only, which is tactical combat with multiple party members. FP blobbers usually suffer in this regard (though they can have their own charm). For anything else, first person is superior.

Lexx

Cipher
From where is the part with the mobile fortress in early Fo2? Up until now I've never heard about it. Also that part with hatching a deathclaw sounds awesome. Much better than what we got later on.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Also, I agree that top-down/iso does usually have better/easier world interaction.

It doesn't, unless you consider pixel hunting "better/easier". Top down/iso is good for one thing and one thing only, which is tactical combat with multiple party members. FP blobbers usually suffer in this regard (though they can have their own charm). For anything else, first person is superior.
I may have written that wrong. I meant when it comes to using skills in the way Wasteland/Fallout do, where you have to tell it what skill to use instead of it automatically being used/checked when you activate the thing you are using the skill on.

agris

Arcane
Patron
N5n6JS3.jpg

The next Boyarsky Fallout should have first person for indepth exploration and also isometric camera for tactical combat and quick area transition after revisiting an area for the millionth time.

What game is that from?

agris

Arcane
Patron
So the joke is all you fucks have played F4? Is that the game in those isometric screenshots? I honestly don't know.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I just realized that Cain and Boyarsky both have lost weight compared to their Troika times. Along with their crunchtime pizza and Mountain Dew devouring bellies, I fear they have lost their magic touch. They are now latte-sipping hipsters, basement-dwelling nerds no more.

Latelistener

Arcane
I hope it'll change for F5.
I expect things to go downhill. F4 is the worstest and lowest rated BGS game up to date, and also the best selling. The quintessence of the modern gaming.

And the worse thing is, most of those shows cannot even make a good violence. For that you have to watch Japanese movies.
The worst thing is that Bethesda shows you insides of your enemies, allows you to blow them to pieces in slow motion, cut their limbs and drag them all around the levels, and after all that, it fails to show any real horror of the post-apocalyptic wasteland, fears to introduce any sexual content and thought-provoking themes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom