Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Leonard Boyarsky on joining Obsidian, Fallout & Bloodlines cut content and more

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The Codexer is not a learning animal. If you think that they will deliver another complex cRPG, you are deluding yourself.

You always need to have something to hope for, no?

:negative:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The Codexer is not a learning animal. If you think that they will deliver another complex cRPG, you are deluding yourself.

Hyping and celebrity worshiping are useless mental disorders. Instead of being emotional and anxious while you are waiting for the game, and grasping every single sentence out of context to feel hope that you will have other decent cRPGs to play, you can play other decent cRPGs, make a book about cRPGs, make a cRPG, read books, watch movies, learn a new language, get laid, drink wine, play some sports, make a garden, paint a picture, write a novel, throw a party and dance, learn how to play a guitar, build a bridge, save lives, etc.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yes, Obsidian are complete shit and have gone downhill.
If you want good cRPGs look for them in InXile and Larian Studios, or if you don't know exactly who you favour, just root for the studio Avellone is working at, like every fellow Codexian does!
5eb.jpg

himmy

Arcane

Hyping and celebrity worshiping are useless mental disorders. Instead of being emotional and anxious while you are waiting for the game, and grasping every single sentence out of context to feel hope that you will have other decent cRPGs to play, you can play other decent cRPGs, make a book about cRPGs, make a cRPG, read books, watch movies, learn a new language, get laid, drink wine, play some sports, make a garden, paint a picture, write a novel, throw a party and dance, learn how to play a guitar, build a bridge, save lives, etc.

get out.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Or, you can simply shitpost with jihadic fever about how all the AA-devs are sellouts.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Dude, you're taking it too seriously.

Shitposting about games is one thing, saving lives is another. I would never give up the former for the latter.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While it does reveal tiny bits of new information, this QA session failed to engage Leonard, to get him to express himself freely and really discuss subjects broadly, give his point of view on things, etc. He only strictly answers the question and then nothing else. Feels very forced, like he just wanted to get this over with.

It's certainly much less than what I had hoped for after the previous one.

It's usually the style of email-sent interviews, there's no way to do follow-up questions based on the answers given. The one with Feargus was face to face.

Latelistener

Arcane
We already know that this UE4 project is a console game, and "console" and "complex" are antonyms. They were doing console-oriented games for more than a decade, and in the end, PC gamers had to dig them out of the financial grave via Kickstarter and online projects. How does the gratitude look like?

wAmPLid.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Hyping and celebrity worshiping are useless mental disorders*. Instead of being emotional and anxious while you are waiting for the game, and grasping every single sentence out of context to feel hope that you will have other decent cRPGs to play, you can play other decent cRPGs, make a book about cRPGs, make a cRPG, read books, watch movies, learn a new language, get laid, drink wine, play some sports, make a garden, paint a picture, write a novel, throw a party and dance, learn how to play a guitar, build a bridge, save lives, etc.

* unless its aod we're talking about

Atomkilla

Arcane
Great interview.

I'm kinda puzzled by that piece of Fallout art tho. I really love it and thought it was one of the more best ads done by the team, but that isn't true, apparently. I wonder who actually made that.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, we had our version internally, but it's WW's IP, so they get to decide what is canon. I'd like to think that everyone is free to make their own decision about whether it was Caine or not. I personally believe it was Tim Cain, but that's just me.

Knew that.

:gangster:

I have no idea what you possibly could be referring to.

lol, i agree. i always wondered why to play a game i have to do mathamatick shit. i despise powerplay

just fill the game with puzzles and freedom of choice and interactable things like the deathclaw bit. that's it, i want an adventure with brief and easy combat bits.

hpstg

Savant
Great interview.

I'm kinda puzzled by that piece of Fallout art tho. I really love it and thought it was one of the more best ads done by the team, but that isn't true, apparently. I wonder who actually made that.

That looked more like Warhammer: Radiation than Fallout.

imweasel

Good interview and a good read. Although I would have liked to read more about Boyarsky and less about games he worked on.

Leonard Boyarsky said:
I would want first or third person exploration with the camera zooming out to a more tactical viewpoint for combat.
So basically a Fallout game with a camera like in Dragon Age: Origins. That would be really cool, I'd love to play a game like that. :)

Bethesda is finally avenged. When they said they did Fallout as the original developers intended if it weren't for the technological limitations they knew what they were talking about.
Not really, because Bethesda's garbage doesn't have a tactical view or tactical combat. I am sure that a Boyarsky/Cain Fallout 3 would have been quite different from what :hearnoevil: gave us.

Sannom

Augur
So basically a Fallout game with a camera like in Dragon Age: Origins. That would be really cool, I'd love to play a game like that. :)
Keep in mind, that's only if they have to go for turn-based. He doesn't seem to care otherwise. He's not a systems guy, as he admits.

Atomkilla

Arcane
But a Fallout game with DA:O camera would indeed be cool. That game may have had flaws, but its camera provided one of the most enjoyable experiences in game world interaction.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just give the old Troika crew an autonomous sub-studio and start a collaboration with Iron Tower
and Stygian after their next projects are completed, say in 2025. Then everybody involved
should at an age that this becomes their Swan Song. The last great RPG.
The Finnegan's Wake of cRPGs. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom