Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

typical user

Arbiter
I'm playing Nuka World now, it has much better designed world than base game, simply because each major location is different and they aren't clumped up together. What I dislike is the fact that they couldn't come up with something different than Nuka Cola. Couldn't they design theme park about entirely different product? I am not complaining about Hubris Comics characters (apart from the quest which forces you to act as one). But it was unoriginal to create a theme park around an item which was a mere easter-egg in Fallout 1. I also like new radio station, it's DJ is much more likable than the anxious/suave guy from Diamond City Radio.

Automatron is nice DLC in my opinion, I like to craft and tweak equipment and this addon delivers that. I can craft and tweak robotic companions, even Mr. Handy Codsworth at the start of the game. Of course the selection of mods to craft is small or ridiculous but the framework is there. Someone already made a mod allowing to craft Securitron from New Vegas but still the selection of weapons, armor or entirely different robotic parts is disappointing but still every now and again I use Robot Workbench to tune robots. Oh and this DLC adds retarded raider faction which wears robot parts and attacks every few days in scripted random encounters because I like it when some idiots gank me in most ridiculous scenarios.

I haven't yet played Far Harbor, I decided to start Nuka World first because it sounded more interesting and it definetly is although the quests are lacking and most characters uninteresting (because they don't offer any unique interaction and only give more fetch quests).

GameBanshee FO4 DLC review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/117781-fallout-4-dlc-review/all-pages.html

The main problem I had with the DLC is that I didn't want to become a raider. For that case there's a side quest where you can kill the raiders instead of working with them, but if you choose that branch then you fail the entire main questline. So you can either be a bad guy and see everything, or you can be a good guy and skip to the end. Bleh. I wish Bethesda had given a more fulfilling "good" branch for their quests.

Why do all these people come into Nuka World, a DLC built on the premise of being a raider and thus going out to raid, expecting there to be a good path? It's like being disappointed that the Vile Lair didn't have furnishings for someone larping as a paladin.

You want to know what the good path is? You help the Minutemen rebuild the Commonwealth while looking for clues about your son. You make a stop off to help some traders clear out a weird amusement park. Then leave, wondering if bandits in the Commonwealth will have log entries about this. For fuck's sake.

Last edited:

Nael

Arcane
pcwccbqqj8lx.jpg

"Oh Lawd, another settlement in a world o' hurt, child. Gonna need you to creep up there and give it a look-see. I'll have dem pork feet ready for when yall get back."

Zerginfestor

Learned
GameBanshee FO4 DLC review: http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/117781-fallout-4-dlc-review/all-pages.html

The main problem I had with the DLC is that I didn't want to become a raider. For that case there's a side quest where you can kill the raiders instead of working with them, but if you choose that branch then you fail the entire main questline. So you can either be a bad guy and see everything, or you can be a good guy and skip to the end. Bleh. I wish Bethesda had given a more fulfilling "good" branch for their quests.

Why do all these people come into Nuka World, a DLC built on the premise of being a raider and thus going out to raid, expecting there to be a good path? It's like being disappointed that the Vile Lair didn't have furnishings for someone larping as a paladin.

You want to know what the good path is? You help the Minutemen rebuild the Commonwealth while looking for clues about your son. You make a stop off to help some traders clear out a weird amusement park. Then leave, wondering if bandits in the Commonwealth will have log entries about this. For fuck's sake.

Well technically, the idea is you can CHOOSE, and usually the choices have rewards and consequences. Basically, the entire idea to players was that you could save the traders and rebuild the park into the great Hub it used to be and have even more traders in the Commonwealth. Instead, you get shit, and I can see why people find this annoying.

Hell, there's no fucking point in being a Raider anyhow, since raiders don't offer a new option in the main game of kicking the Institute's ass and everyone else, which makes the entire thing really awkward of taking over the commonwealth, only to shuffle to the Minutemen, Railroad or BoS to finish the main thing. Closest thing you got here is the Railroad, and even then that doesn't make sense. The entire trailer and 'sneak peeks' from derpthesda made it sound like you can finish the game in a different manner: as a Raider, with explosions and loot.

This entire DLC was in Bethesda's ball court (Shoot n' Loot, EXPLOSIONS!!!11!one! Less Talking, moar shooty bang-bang, pls), and they still managed to fuck up.

circ

Arcane
I played the Vault-tec Workshop. Oh my gawd. What a nightmare. Blocks that snap the wrong way - have to first build walls and floors to make them snap to bigger pieces. Blocks that don't snap at all. Can't mix overseer blocks with common blocks, easily anyway - have to take add extra steps for something that should be simple. They took an already shitty system and made it pain inducing.

Uuuugh.

Zerginfestor

Learned
I played the Vault-tec Workshop. Oh my gawd. What a nightmare. Blocks that snap the wrong way - have to first build walls and floors to make them snap to bigger pieces. Blocks that don't snap at all. Can't mix overseer blocks with common blocks, easily anyway - have to take add extra steps for something that should be simple. They took an already shitty system and made it pain inducing.

Uuuugh.

I think most people just play through that workshop to get extra EXP from the mobs down below, as well as the ridiculous amount of Nuclear Material.

circ

Arcane
Vault-tec Workshop is easily the worst DLC Bethesda has ever produced - yes I've used horse armor. Janky as fuck building interface stretched to its limits. Bugs like generator and water pump breaking without ability to fix them. How the fuck do NPCs attack a settlement underground that has a single, unbreakable entrance anyway? Retarded experiments that serve no real purpose and are highly limited in number. Massive underground build area but build budget is already at 50%. Wat. After completing said quests, can't build slotmachine or bike in regular settlements. Well you do get weight bench and pommel horse, but dunno why they couldn't include bike too. It's nice to be eveel too for a change, but they could have gone further.

Probably done by a newbie intern in a single half a day.

Nuka World could be worse, haven't played it.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I guess it is true, once you have cornered the soda/soft drink market there is nothing else left to do but go into weapon design and manufacture.

pippin

Fallout 5 is going to be so fun. I mean, where do you go after this? What do you do? When everything is a theme park, what could be your answer? Barfing because you're too dizzy?

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The next atomic bomb will be powered by a mix of coca cola and mentos.

The apocalypse is going to smell minty fresh, with perhaps a hint of cherry.

As for your question, I am pretty sure Fallout 5 will have drivable vehicles, even more power armor variants, more variants on enemy types, more building options, more empty space to build settlements, more 'environmental story telling' in the form of teddy bears, gnomes, and skeletons in funny positions. And story and quests? Why would you want those when we give you all of these things?
Seriously, the main campaign will probably involve another high tech army trying to take over the world (heck perhaps BGS is finally making the East Coast BOS into an 'evil' faction) with FEV being somehow part of this plan, while you get to visit all kinds of famous landmarks in the DLCs (the ones that do not give you more crap for your own Lego town sets)

typical user

Arbiter
The next atomic bomb will be powered by a mix of coca cola and mentos.

The apocalypse is going to smell minty fresh, with perhaps a hint of cherry.

As for your question, I am pretty sure Fallout 5 will have drivable vehicles, even more power armor variants, more variants on enemy types, more building options, more empty space to build settlements, more 'environmental story telling' in the form of teddy bears, gnomes, and skeletons in funny positions. And story and quests? Why would you want those when we give you all of these things?
Seriously, the main campaign will probably involve another high tech army trying to take over the world (heck perhaps BGS is finally making the East Coast BOS into an 'evil' faction) with FEV being somehow part of this plan, while you get to visit all kinds of famous landmarks in the DLCs (the ones that do not give you more crap for your own Lego town sets)

Don't forget token Supermutants, Ghouls, Aliens, Raiders and lore inconsistencies. You can't make bethestard Fallout without those.

circ

Arcane
Some screenshots since I been playing a little since I couldn't find any fun space gamu. Rebel Galaxy is pretty repetitive.

All building shit. Warehouse set is pretty good. Erm I mean warehouse assets lifted from the game and even then not completely because maybe future DLC LOLOLOL. Allows internal walls with fiddling and um. Windows? Of one kind. That's it.

Un5GUzf.jpg

Whatever that settlement with the cinema is. Machine shop/power on the left, living accomodations on the right. I made some changes since this image doe...

V1u01ZU.jpg

Internals of living quarters, bottom floor. Shit bar and shit exercise room. Because you can't lift sober. Ever. I'd like a boxing ring. Weight rack. Some exercise equipment.

Vi7yIVu.jpg

One divider wall later. A little better. Dual couches got replaced by long couch later.

4gJXal6.jpg

Los Exercismo. Maybe I'll get a poster mod. There's a static item placement mod but I think there are bugs. I don't want bugs. Could drop a mop and a bucket down then.

RDM0owr.jpg

Upper floor before some restructuring.

GI9NiOD.jpg

Upper floor back patio/balcony. Shit. Need stuff to make it come alibe. Dunno wat. Bench got replaced by long couch.

DhfNOGk.jpg

Upper floor got bathroom. Looks alright from exterior. Interior is shit.

pfNcFtu.jpg

New bathroom entry. Moved errant drawer after shot. Because that shit's crazy.

a8N5SlX.jpg

I'm sorry.

XoAY7j9.jpg

View from a bed. I could put down some light panels in the middle to show through the window. That would be kinda cool. But you know what. I'm not autistic enough.

EYp5idJ.jpg

Back outside. Ah. Replaced big garage shop dick witih two small ones. In the middle crafting, on the left power/power armor.

yKkz9At.jpg

One small garage for mankind.

ldXtdJ8.jpg

Something sexy. Well something something anyway.

circ

Arcane
So I played me some of that Nuka World.

Well, nothing makes sense.

But first maybe some positives. Kinda positives. I don't know. Does it matter?

I like the environment. It's kinda like New Vegas/Washington DC. Are you trying to appease NV and FO3 fans Bethesda? More on this later. That said, it doesn't make sense. How is a mountain between Boston and NW going to turn one area into some kind of dried up desert? But other than the parks there isn't shit to do. Place is pretty nicely detailed, I mean you could almost smell the stale butter and popcorn and cotton candy and nuts in the air when first entering, but despite the raiders it's just a lifeless trash heap of a location.

That's it for positive impressions maybe? The plot is kinda like - some raider boss takes over amusement park but instead of turning on the power, not that I get what difference that would make, he sits on his ass and does jack shit. NEVERMIND that I single handedly cleared the power plant in 10 minutes. You couldn't do that previous raider boss?? Despite the power issues, there seems to be plenty of power to go around, selectively. All power does is turn on all the rides and shit. Well your new companion has other ideas too but power seemed to be a big thing since it's the end game mission.

You had a chance to flesh out raiders some, but none of that happens. It's just - raider a, b and c and they each dress differently and have some superficial motivations. Writing's shit in other words. It's weird though, because the holotapes lying around and notes show some kind of writing skills, but I don't get why that skill is limited to exposition. MAYBE, Bethesda should fire the head writers because they can't write for shit and give promotions to all the interns that know how to remotely write.

The quest design is atrocious. A crime against humanity. I wish I was being hyperbolic and simplifying it when I say all of it consists of pretty much nothing but killing shit, but that's it. One quest tries to ape Dead Money NV DLC but fails badly, atleast I assume that's what it was going for. Another one seems to be inspired by the ghouls in space quest from NV, but it turns into a bad joke. Either way they all end up with no other choice than to kill shit. That said, it's nice that they added in an option to bypass 3-4 quests with the Robotic whatever perk. Why can't perks be used more often like that? What's the point of them otherwise.

Radiant sidequests mostly follow the same pattern. Except most of the time you have to go back to the Commonwealth to do them. Yeah fuck that.

As for new items and mobiles. Total joke. New handgun is a renamed .44 from vanilla. Has a new texture, that's pretty much a color tint. Oh my gawd. I do like the Kalashnikov clone though, atleast the way it handles. It looks like shit though. It's like when you were a kid and you carved blades and handguns and rifles from wood and they'd be big and clunky, at first anyway, but you knew what they were supposed to represent. Same thing, Bethesda can't design for shit. New knife, that somehow does x3 times the damage of a Commonwealth knife. Is it adamantium? Clothing just makes you cry. Obsidian showed them how to make western clothing, for example, and well, what you're given here ain't no western clothing. More like something a first time modder whips up in 10 minutes. Badly. Not all the clothing is bad, the raider stuff has some nice pieces. But even then it's marred by stupid decisions. Requiring new perks to upgrade the stuff. Scrounger, to add max pockets to armor? It makes sense, but it wasn't in vanilla, why would this armor be so special? Also you can only add ballistic weave to one piece of clothing, some shit magicians tux. Sure, you can just write your own mod in about an hour making everything weavable, but why would you have to? Fucking lazy ass motherfuckers.

Oh mobiles. Reskinned deathclaw. Two types of reskinned molerats. Reskinned mirelurk. Well there's a grasshopper and ants that seem to be kind of original. But they all share the same uninspiring AI.

A bunch of raiders will talk about the freedom of being a raider, taking what you want whatever. But shoot one of them in the face because he talked shit and everyone jumps you. Dude. That's not how this works. I get it, it's hard to script that, but if you can't do it even remotely right, then don't, or write around it. Don't be an idiot.

Also the PC's motivations to play ball with raiders. Someone in this thread I think, defended that kind of, but it just doesn't make any sense at all. You kill and enslave people and generally act like an asshole. Well you can kill off the raiders from the start, but that's 95% of the DLC gone. And no, you can't be evil in the Commonwealth, short of joining the Institute. I guess you could LARP it so that you join Minutemen, later join Institute and kill everyone else and then go off and join raiders in NW, but NW starts at level 30, you're gonna hold it off until you're 60 or something, plus you can stab the raiders in the dick later anyway. SORRY I WAS JUST PLAYING EEVEL LOL. What?

You know what would have made this a remotely passable DLC? Placing it in the Commonwealth. One, you don't have to travel by fucking monorail repeatedly, and two, you could have fleshed out the bland as fuck place that Bethesda's Boston is. Even if it was with pointless ferris wheels etc. And you could have introduced an evil playthrough somewhat properly. But nope. Do you have a functioning brain between your employees Bethesda? I think not but prove me wrong.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So this game is shittier than Fallout 3?

Looks like Skyrim was and will remain my last Bethesduh game.

Epsilon

Cipher

But thats good isn't it? I mean, think of all the mods you don't have to hunt down to bring what little good there is in the game out. Think of all the load orders you don't have to manage, all the stability tests you don't have to run to make their shitty engine not shit itself every minute because you modded the game. Think of all the time you're saving by not having to do any of this - time you can spend playing games that are actually good, even without mods.

typical user

Arbiter

But thats good isn't it? I mean, think of all the mods you don't have to hunt down to bring what little good there is in the game out. Think of all the load orders you don't have to manage, all the stability tests you don't have to run to make their shitty engine not shit itself every minute because you modded the game. Think of all the time you're saving by not having to do any of this - time you can spend playing games that are actually good, even without mods.

:abyssgazer:

Yeah, you verbalized how much time I have wasted to fix a game that fucking developers should do with their Q&A from the start. I mean I had to download stuff such as fix allowing for enemies to chase me from and into interriors or another one which allows to slap scopes on your weapons without black-outs/fade-ins. There is also stuff like fixes to bad meshes, broken signal grenades or other small stuff which should work right out of box. I have 314 plugins in NMM manager add and take around 20 because I had to inject ReShade and tweak .ini files. 314 fucking mods. I have around 20 mods for Witcher 3, most of which are retextures or some fancy graphic effects. It should show how much shit Fallout 4 is and why I start to puke when I see some memes praising it for it's story or some other Bethesduh fans crap trying compare it to Witcher.

So I played me some of that Nuka World.

Well, nothing makes sense.

But first maybe some positives. Kinda positives. I don't know. Does it matter?

I like the environment. It's kinda like New Vegas/Washington DC. Are you trying to appease NV and FO3 fans Bethesda? More on this later. That said, it doesn't make sense. How is a mountain between Boston and NW going to turn one area into some kind of dried up desert? But other than the parks there isn't shit to do. Place is pretty nicely detailed, I mean you could almost smell the stale butter and popcorn and cotton candy and nuts in the air when first entering, but despite the raiders it's just a lifeless trash heap of a location.

That's it for positive impressions maybe? The plot is kinda like - some raider boss takes over amusement park but instead of turning on the power, not that I get what difference that would make, he sits on his ass and does jack shit. NEVERMIND that I single handedly cleared the power plant in 10 minutes. You couldn't do that previous raider boss?? Despite the power issues, there seems to be plenty of power to go around, selectively. All power does is turn on all the rides and shit. Well your new companion has other ideas too but power seemed to be a big thing since it's the end game mission.

You had a chance to flesh out raiders some, but none of that happens. It's just - raider a, b and c and they each dress differently and have some superficial motivations. Writing's shit in other words. It's weird though, because the holotapes lying around and notes show some kind of writing skills, but I don't get why that skill is limited to exposition. MAYBE, Bethesda should fire the head writers because they can't write for shit and give promotions to all the interns that know how to remotely write.

The quest design is atrocious. A crime against humanity. I wish I was being hyperbolic and simplifying it when I say all of it consists of pretty much nothing but killing shit, but that's it. One quest tries to ape Dead Money NV DLC but fails badly, atleast I assume that's what it was going for. Another one seems to be inspired by the ghouls in space quest from NV, but it turns into a bad joke. Either way they all end up with no other choice than to kill shit. That said, it's nice that they added in an option to bypass 3-4 quests with the Robotic whatever perk. Why can't perks be used more often like that? What's the point of them otherwise.

Radiant sidequests mostly follow the same pattern. Except most of the time you have to go back to the Commonwealth to do them. Yeah fuck that.

As for new items and mobiles. Total joke. New handgun is a renamed .44 from vanilla. Has a new texture, that's pretty much a color tint. Oh my gawd. I do like the Kalashnikov clone though, atleast the way it handles. It looks like shit though. It's like when you were a kid and you carved blades and handguns and rifles from wood and they'd be big and clunky, at first anyway, but you knew what they were supposed to represent. Same thing, Bethesda can't design for shit. New knife, that somehow does x3 times the damage of a Commonwealth knife. Is it adamantium? Clothing just makes you cry. Obsidian showed them how to make western clothing, for example, and well, what you're given here ain't no western clothing. More like something a first time modder whips up in 10 minutes. Badly. Not all the clothing is bad, the raider stuff has some nice pieces. But even then it's marred by stupid decisions. Requiring new perks to upgrade the stuff. Scrounger, to add max pockets to armor? It makes sense, but it wasn't in vanilla, why would this armor be so special? Also you can only add ballistic weave to one piece of clothing, some shit magicians tux. Sure, you can just write your own mod in about an hour making everything weavable, but why would you have to? Fucking lazy ass motherfuckers.

Oh mobiles. Reskinned deathclaw. Two types of reskinned molerats. Reskinned mirelurk. Well there's a grasshopper and ants that seem to be kind of original. But they all share the same uninspiring AI.

A bunch of raiders will talk about the freedom of being a raider, taking what you want whatever. But shoot one of them in the face because he talked shit and everyone jumps you. Dude. That's not how this works. I get it, it's hard to script that, but if you can't do it even remotely right, then don't, or write around it. Don't be an idiot.

Also the PC's motivations to play ball with raiders. Someone in this thread I think, defended that kind of, but it just doesn't make any sense at all. You kill and enslave people and generally act like an asshole. Well you can kill off the raiders from the start, but that's 95% of the DLC gone. And no, you can't be evil in the Commonwealth, short of joining the Institute. I guess you could LARP it so that you join Minutemen, later join Institute and kill everyone else and then go off and join raiders in NW, but NW starts at level 30, you're gonna hold it off until you're 60 or something, plus you can stab the raiders in the dick later anyway. SORRY I WAS JUST PLAYING EEVEL LOL. What?

You know what would have made this a remotely passable DLC? Placing it in the Commonwealth. One, you don't have to travel by fucking monorail repeatedly, and two, you could have fleshed out the bland as fuck place that Bethesda's Boston is. Even if it was with pointless ferris wheels etc. And you could have introduced an evil playthrough somewhat properly. But nope. Do you have a functioning brain between your employees Bethesda? I think not but prove me wrong.

The biggest let-down is the fact that you are raider boss, you have slaves in your park and... you don't do shit about it. There are no quests to acquire more slaves or to sell them, there is no sort "rebellion" or any kind of macro-managing of your gangs. I agree this DLC should be placed in Commonwealth, as it is ridiculous that you had to travel back and forth to establish new outposts and report to Shank to push story forward. I am playing in survival and I have sided with Institute so I can't use Vertibirds so you can imagine how much trek I have to make turn in a quest and how often I have to travel from CIT to Monorail to Nuka Town USA and back and forth.

I have to admit that Nuka World looks more belivable than Commonwealth because it was a nuclear war and most of the world should've been vaporized and turned into big deserts. I like that there are no bullshit locations so you can enjoy this DLC, because if there is a small patch without junk or some kind of lame settlement it doesn't mean I am bored, it means I can pick up my own pace and actually explore and search for interesting locations. In Commonwealth I don't need to because betwen 20 meters I stumble across some stupid location which is the same as 5 I have discovered before.

There is also an issue with settlements. This DLC provides motivation to get involved with them because you will get money for every subdued settler and every raider plus the amount of happiness in their outposts. But the problem is that you need to invest heavy amounts of time to develop those settlements and it is fine if you work on one but Nuka World encourages you to work on ALL of them. This game should offer some prebuilt settlements not one or two half-destroyed shacks and some tools to build those settlements quickly like houses in Hearthfire in Skyrim where you could build your houses from modules. It was quick and didn't require much planing. If there was an option to do that in every settlement in one quick way the developers designed then this settlement thing would be far better.

Quests are shit. Go to a park, kill stuff, flip some switches and you are done. Radiant quests are joke again because they tell you to deal with popamoles in Commonwealth. Same deal like accepting quest to learn it tells you to go to Far Harbor even if you didn't unlock it and you didn't plan to go there anytime soon. Fallout 2 had great radiant quests, because they were logical, you could go on slave-run or take a hike with caravan and it was more interesting than going to previously cleared location to kill the same boss for the second time. In Fallout 2 you knew what you would have to do and it was more randomized because you could be fighting some tribals or claim jumpers with heavy machine guns and laser rifles.

I like the handmade rifle, it made me uninstall most weapon mods because it actually fills the gap for assault rifles. It looks half-decent because it is based on AK-47. Melee weapons are OP. I got a disciple knife with legendary effect which allowed me to kill stuff with one stab like I was playing tag.

This DLC improves Fallout 4 but only by small amount. It makes building settlements something worth a while, gives you alternative for being average late 30s dad who won't hurt a fly but has no problem murdering legions of raiders. With mods I enjoy this game until I get to talk to someone and accept their ridiculous quests. This game has a problem because it wants to be whacky and funny but then it acts all serious and grim. You can play as Warhammer marine in power armor with minigun or run in a tuxedo with stupid glasses and a walking that freezes shit on touch. Imagine Gothic allowing you to play as a Knight but then allowing you to play as Samuel L. Jackson and with purple lightsabers.

Taskityo

Educated

I know I've definitely saved my time by not purchasing FO4. I am resigned to the belief that there never will be an actual good FO game ever again.

circ

Arcane
You've been lied to. If you only ever purchase one game in your life make it Fallout 4. It's easily the best game ever released in any category by a wide margin. One might even call it the Usain Bolt of video games. The competition might, just might, catch up with it in about 20-30 years. It's that good.

Was that ok Pete? Yeah? You'll release my family now? Oh is this thing still on? Can you edit that out? Ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom