Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No, because they have to design the entire game around co-op multi-player.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This focus on big enviroments will lead to alot of trash content, can't wait to move around on big empty spaces killing cloned space mooks. For all the flaws of the Mass Effects, at least they tried to keep some rudimentary tactics to their cover shooter so it was different from all the rest of the Gears of Wars, based how Dragon Age Inquisition turned out, I fear this will be space GTA, get your ride, kill some shitty mooks here, get your ride again drive all this empty space with no gameplay then kill some shitty mooks there, the end, enjoy the explosions and our "expert" crafted narrative.

erickaqua

Educated
Ugh, the first thing the player said in the trailer is how he is surprised that alien plants can grow without Sun and water.

Chemosynthesis motherfucker, or try to look for artificial energy source. What kind of sci-fi protagonist ask things like this? These plants are *aliens* for a reason, so why even apply Earth-centric expectations?

I have a feeling the sci-fi will be soooo shit in this game.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Considering the creativity involving ass erect "aliens" it comes to no surprise that the protag thinks everything revolves around humans and humanoids.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Ugh, the first thing the player said in the trailer is how he is surprised that alien plants can grow without Sun and water.

Chemosynthesis motherfucker, or try to look for artificial energy source. What kind of sci-fi protagonist ask things like this? These plants are *aliens* for a reason, so why even apply Earth-centric expectations?

I have a feeling the sci-fi will be soooo shit in this game.

It's space opera. That's fantasy with lasers, not sci-fi in any sense of the word where "sci" means something. It's not even particularly imaginative space opera.

imweasel

I fear this will be space GTA
GTA in Space (with tranny aliens) is probably farely accurate IMO, but it definitely won't sell 50 million copies. It probably won't even sell five million. EA is just gonna EA and churn out more garbage.

I wonder when EA will finally liquidate this leftist SJW shithole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
It's not space opera.

Space opera typically involves dozens of character WHY AM I EVEN ARGUING THIS WITH YOU? YOU KNOW THIS.

I always thought the Mass Effects, especially the first, were pretty good space opera for a console game. They certainly weren't hard sci-fi. It was Star Wars with mass effect fields instead of force, those female aliens instead of twileks and a few other tweaks. How many characters do you have to add before it tips over into space opera?

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I always found the Mass Effect this weird mix of Star Wars, Star Trek, and elements of golden age science fiction with a hint of Lovecraft (not that the writers ever really lived up to that). This mix of various science fiction elements that did not really have a big identity of its own as it relies to much on the predecessor I mentioned to establish what it tries to portray.
But there were moments of fun gameplay even if the storyline was a pastiche in ME1, 2, and even some of 3.

However it never lived up the grand ambition the makers claimed they had, it is nowhere near any of the classic science fiction/space fiction franchises. And I am sure that after the last game is released and all the publications next to it have been done that it will be forgotten by most people until EA revives it again in the future when they need some brand name to milk.

I might have given ME: Andromeda a try if it wasn't for that damn Origin DRM which I don't want on my PC as I don't trust EA a bit.

Caim

Arcane
Mass Effect 1 was one of the best new works of science fiction of the last decade. Instead of expanding on it though 2 and 3 went with cosmic horror instead.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
ME1 was the last decent game bio made so people, me included, remember it fondly.

Edit: I may be wrong but i feel the ME1 debate has happened here before.

Tsukasa Buddha

Liturgist
Mass Effect 1 was one of the best new works of science fiction of the last decade. Instead of expanding on it though 2 and 3 went with cosmic horror instead.
Huh? The Reapers in ME1 are Lovecraft-style elder gods. They continued that in the derelict Reaper level of ME2, but from the end of ME2 onwards they are just bad-logic, reproducing cyborgs.

pippin

Mass Effect 1 is the same old Bioware game but with a new coat of paint and better tits. There's no reason to praise it beyond that, I guess that depends on how much do you like the good old Bioware Chart.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I found the original Mass Effect an okay shooter with some adventure elements back when I played it, but I never found it that really exciting of a universe (I did not read any of the books or comics so the games are the ME experience for me).
Traveling around in the Mako or whatever it was called was occasionally fun but the damn physics could be quite annoying. It would have been nice if there was actually a bit more on those maps to discover than the occasional bonus and the location(s) you were supposed to head for.

As for the Reapers, I think the writer just wanted to come up with a high concept without really knowing what to go for. Writing Lovecraftian entities is difficult as these are supposed to be really 'alien' things, with there being nothing common between them and us 'lower entities'.
Many writers can not really write such entities, sooner or later trying to make them into something the watcher/reader/gamer can understand, thus eliminating what makes them strange and disturbing as we don't know or understand what they are or really want.

Personally I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 the most, even if that one has the weakest storyline of the series. (actually 2 and 3 had pretty weak storylines). But I like the settings of the main missions and the side missions.

I am not surprised that ME quickly devolved into generic science fiction as seen on television and in movies.

I hope that ME: Andromeda is not generic and cliche to the point that even one walkthrough becomes a chore. So far I don't like what I have heard or read such as the ridiculous stand out character.

Freddie

Savant
Mass Effect 1 is the same old Bioware game but with a new coat of paint and better tits. There's no reason to praise it beyond that, I guess that depends on how much do you like the good old Bioware Chart.
As SCIFI RPG it hit the long dry season. Deus X, 2000, Septerrean Core, 2000 or 2001, Space Rangers (EU) 2004, KotOR, 2003 and KotOR 2 2004. Note, this is only for PC and I'm sure I forgot something, but still there weren't that much competition. I guess it might felt fresh for many players, because they weren't fans of fantasy, or Neverwinter series.

But it was a good effort and sparked two sequels for a reason. Even BW boards were actually a decent place back then, but then that 'romance' crowd came... Where BW decided to take that franchise after the first game is another discussion and I think there were really good Post Mortem series posted here few months ago.

That there is this much discussion after all is IMO quite telling regarding ME 1 place in history. Even though I'm following what's happening with the franchise mostly to get sadistic pleasure how BW is going to fuck up their new fan base this time, still somewhere I wish there would be decent successor for ME 1 in this franchise.

Not going to happen, I know.
:negative:

pippin

The romance crowd has been there since Baldur's Gate 1 :M
Oh fuck no... what possible love interests... Imoen?

I didn't visited the forum that often, guess I got lucky. Other than that, fuck this gay earth.

Yes.
And also pretty much every character. Remember the Coran and Safana quest in BG2? Coran was included because a fangirl DEMANDED his presence in the sequel. She's one of the werewolves you get to fight. You could say Bioware asked for it qhen they included the caracters who come in pairs, but they also noticed that the most popular mods were romance ones. Even back then. This is why "old Bioware was better" is not really true. If anything, the true difference between old and new Bioware only starts with Inquisition. The rest of the games all fit in the Bioware standard.

Freddie

Savant
The romance crowd has been there since Baldur's Gate 1 :M
Oh fuck no... what possible love interests... Imoen?

I didn't visited the forum that often, guess I got lucky. Other than that, fuck this gay earth.

Yes.
And also pretty much every character. Remember the Coran and Safana quest in BG2? Coran was included because a fangirl DEMANDED his presence in the sequel. She's one of the werewolves you get to fight. You could say Bioware asked for it qhen they included the caracters who come in pairs, but they also noticed that the most popular mods were romance ones. Even back then. This is why "old Bioware was better" is not really true. If anything, the true difference between old and new Bioware only starts with Inquisition. The rest of the games all fit in the Bioware standard.
What you say makes perfect sense now when I think of it. So there goes my nostalgia.
:timetoburn:

Latelistener

Arcane
ME1 was the last decent game bio made so people, me included, remember it fondly.
I don't really see much difference between ME1 and ME2, except the second game is a much more polished popamole experience, and has better visuals, music and characters. Both games are flawed, featuring typical black and white (blue and red) Biowareian world, mediocre story, and they are very far from the RPG genre, to be something more than just another burger for console kids.
ME3 is a disaster though. Bioware clearly didn't give a shit about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom