Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Rats, Iron Tower Studio's Age of Decadence dungeon crawler, officially announced

mondblut

Arcane
So no roleplaying elements at all ?

15102_500.jpg

Seems to have enough of them to fill a screen.
But where's the most important RPG element of all, third person action combat?

That's a strange way to refer to the End Turn button.

What does this mean for challenges outside of combat?

What?

Well combat and conversations clearly are still in, but with the removal of the following skills seems like it'll diminish the non-combat routes (Which was intended by VD)
or alternatively make it more reliant on your character stats (Which might also be intended?).

Some are useless but some like Lore seem necessary to the setting (Might intelligence be used in it's place?).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Vault Dweller starting your game name with the word "dungeon" is a terrible idea. There are already 40 RPGs on steam that have the word dungeon in it, many of them are very well known.

It's a great idea. People who bought AoD will buy this game, no questions asked. People who didn't buy AoD, but like dungeon crawlers or games with the word "dungeon" on the tittle, will buy this game too. He is bringing in new costumers.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I wanna know about the new crafting system. Do you guys manage to implement this or what?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretty surprised mondblut's the only one to complain about the party size limit. With four, it's clear that VD plans to port this to consoles, much likes Tides of Numenera. :troll:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Day 1 purchase basically. It would be cool if there is some narrative attached to the whole thing, not just mute puppets slamming against each other, but I'll take it anyway. Also, yeah, the name is terrible :p

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Pretty surprised mondblut's the only one to complain about the party size limit. With four, it's clear that VD plans to port this to consoles, much likes Tides of Numenera. :troll:
Don't give a fuck about party size tbh fam.

Actually I do but it depends entirely on the systems. It's easy to design for huge parties when half the character options only have a handful of stats.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

Delbaeth

Learned
Shining in the Decadence
"Crawl for your live"
"Too crawl for you"
Decadence Souls: Tactics
MMXVI*

* No Ubisoft, it's not a copyright infringement, period.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Day 1 purchase basically. It would be cool if there is some narrative attached to the whole thing, not just mute puppets slamming against each other, but I'll take it anyway. Also, yeah, the name is terrible :p
There is, hence 4 endings.

I wanna know about the new crafting system. Do you guys manage to implement this or what?
No. It would have taken much longer (at least 3-4 months of work). We didn't have that much time.

...I suppose VD could have used the ressources into the colony ship game instead of making this. Not sure we needed a AoD dungeon crawler, but alas, I will of course try it :)
We couldn't start working on the CSG right away (and do what?) as it requires at least a year of pre-production.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
4-man party in TB is a sweet spot tbf. With good systems you can still have a nice varied party and lots of possible builds, but combat won't endlessly drag.

mondblut

Arcane
Pretty surprised mondblut's the only one to complain about the party size limit.

While 4 is pretty pathetic, I was primarily complaining about "1 real character and a bunch of incompetent sidekicks hidden around like easter eggs and intentionally gimped by the sawyers to be as useless as possible" approach. It belongs to the storyfag CYOAs, not to the real RPGs. Full party creation or bust.

mondblut

Arcane
What does this mean for challenges outside of combat?

What?

Well combat and conversations clearly are still in, but with the removal of the following skills seems like it'll diminish the non-combat routes (Which was intended by VD)
or alternatively make it more reliant on your character stats (Which might also be intended?).

Some are useless but some like Lore seem necessary to the setting (Might intelligence be used in it's place?).

If not obvious, I was being smug over your choice of words. "You need to invest 2 more points into Etiquette to click this button" is not a "challenge" by any stretch of imagination. The only kind of "challenges outside of combat" that come to my head is puzzles, and their absence is not something I would mourn overmuch.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
While 4 is pretty pathetic, I was primarily complaining about "1 real character and a bunch of incompetent sidekicks hidden around like easter eggs and intentionally gimped by the sawyers to be as useless as possible" approach. It belongs to the storyfag CYOAs, not to the real RPGs. Full party creation or bust.

Well if you want the well-built characters you have to gimp yourself by pumping charisma. :)

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Party based make it a proper RPG. Call it AoD Dungeon version. Please make combat different from Blackguards 2.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I only will care about this game if it will have this trustworthy man in it:
15555.jpg

Now please follow me, I saw a chest full of gold right back this alleyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom