Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Viking Previews & Interviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/404583/20+minutes+of+gameplay+from+Expeditions+Viking/

We sat down for a presentation / chat about Logic Artists' upcoming turn-based strategy RPGExpeditions: Viking and got a taste of just how brutal the life of a Viking can be (at least if you're going for a ranged build).

The presentation started out with a look at the character creation options, and continued on with some of the very beginning of the game where you're taking over the leadership of the clan. We're also treated to an interesting situation later on in the game where you're challenged for the leadership of the clan through a duel of three shields, the outcome of the duel and the choices you make have major impact on the story and this is one of several such branching events in the game.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
God damn it.

From their most recent newsletter:

In addition to meeting with media and YouTubers, Jonas and Ali gained their own version of Viking wisdom at the many GDC seminars over the course of the week. One in particular was the talk from Obsidian’s Game Director, Josh Sawyer, about the tuning of attributes in Pillars of Eternity.

Sawyer's talk was probably the most narrow and in-depth design talk of the week, focusing purely on the considerations Obsidian made while designing and tuning the character stats in Pillars of Eternity. Of course this was particularly important to us as we're working on a game in the same genre as Pillars, but it was just fundamentally refreshing to attend such an in-depth design talk.

Sawyer went into the historical context of the game's stat system, shared a lot of lessons he'd picked up during development, and finished off with a very honest and balanced discussion on the pros of cons of the system they'd ended up with. We were particularly pleased when Sawyer recommended never mixing stats and character classes, which is well in line with the class-less character system in Expeditions: Viking.

Overall, great talk with lots of food for thought.”

It's been contaminated! Abort, abort!

:dead:

Sawyer recommended never mixing stats and character classes

He really does hate fun.

Atomical

Logic Artists
Developer
My Bow skills are so weak, when I asked him what kind of character he wanted to make I was really hoping he would say fighter... but alas, I got pwnd. Hope y'all enjoyed it!

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
ReadyUpVideo has posted an interview with Alex from EGX Rezzed on their youtube channel, overlaid with lots of gameplay footage. Check it out:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On their YouTube channel, anyway:

They don't seem to have published their preview yet.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Here's the preview: https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/expeditions--viking-preview-389.html

Expeditions: Viking Preview
2016-09-08
banner-866.jpg

Last year at Gamescom I met with Alex Mintsioulis from Logic Artists to talk about their new game, Expeditions: Viking. That presentation covered the England campaigns, traveling, camping, and some combat. This year Alex showed me a part of the Denmark campaign, which focused for the most part on character creation and combat, but we also got to discuss other things, such as the changes to what was shown last year.

We played a part of the first campaign of Expeditions: Viking. Norwegians are raiding the village, for reasons unknown, until you capture one of them. There are three battles that take place. If you win two of the three battles you get one outcome and if you lose two of the three battles you get a different outcome.

On the winning side, you get to capture the leader of the Norwegians, named Gunnar the Peaceful, a very powerful character. During interrogation you have the chance to recruit him, if you make the right choices during that interrogation. If you lose, he escapes, denying you the chance to recruit him. You can still interrogate him to get the same information.

Losing in a fight will never end the game. It effects certain types of outcomes, such as whether you win or lose in combat. However, you do sustain injuries, for which you will need healing, but you won't die just like that. However, untreated injuries will fester and eventually lead to a character's death. The game ends if the main character dies from his or her wounds.

One of the significant differences between Viking and Conquistador is that you don't draft your crew at the start of the game. A major part of the first campaign is gathering the crew for your ship. As long as you don't have a crew or a ship, your village is under constant attack since it is seen as weak. You can collect crew members from the starting village and from your travels through Denmark. The first two people that join you are your two best friends, which you have known for a long time. One of them is a spear-wielding shield maiden, and the other is a hunter with a bow. The advantage of a spear in the game is that you have a longer reach and you can pass one hex, so you hit someone at a two hex distance. You can even go over the head of standing before you, or over defensive formations. In addition, you don't have any issues with attack of opportunity as that works only for adjacent hexes. You can't dismiss any of your party members during the first campaign, as they are essential to the narrative.

Party members have their own plotlines and story elements, and their unique personalities are significant. They have morale, but the developers have not yet finalized how this morale will work out when they disagree with you, and if it could lead to mutiny or party members deserting. TA dueling mechanic was considered, but the downside of that is that even though 1-on-1 turn-based combat can be challenging, you could build your character specifically for dueling and duels would become too easy and boring. On the other hand, if you don't build your character for it, the duel would be quite difficult.

Once the first campaign is completed, party members can be dismissed at your discretion and be replaced by other party members that you find during your travels. You can also hire mercenaries, but these do not have any narrative elements.

At the start of the game you create your character. You can select the gender and looks of your character and then select one of the predefined character types to set your stats and skills. You can also just create your character from scratch if you like or modify one of the predefined character types. The video at the end of this article shows a bit of the character creation in the first minutes.
The predefined characters were actually only put in the game for conferences and events, like Gamescom, so people did not need to spent a long time with character creation. The initial idea was that in the final game you would build your character from scratch. They use the description section to tell you what kind of character you are making, which is also used for building the narrative around your character. The predefined characters are created so that they also have different narratives. Once the developers realized that there are people who like these predefined characters, they decided to keep them in the game.

Besides setting the primary stats of your character (Strength, Endurance, Finesse, Perception and Sense) you can also select your skills. This is similar to how it was in Conquistador. There are weapon skills, of which two were not yet implemented, nor would Alex say what they were. What is implemented are axes, bows, knives, shield, spear, sword and unarmed. Then there are also offensive skills, like dual wielding, where you can add an axe or a dagger to your off-hand, naturally forfeiting you the use of a two-handed sword. There are passive skills, like back-stabbing and sneak attack, hardened and quick feet, which allows you to maneuver around a character without triggering attack of opportunity. Then there are the camping skills and the support skills, like leadership, which not only gives you a buff, but also unlocks conversation options. Some other skills in that last section are trap spotting, healing and witchcraft. However, as the game is classless, you can develop your character in the game any way you want.

Before my visit, I played a battle in the public Nordic booth and barely survived with only one character standing. So we decided to do one of the other battles in this hands-on session. When entering a battle, another difference with Conquistador becomes visible, as the battle maps in Viking are now integrated in the environment.

For this battle, the party was automatically joined by people from the village, so that the battle was an even match on both sides and that we ended up with 6 fighters, with melee, ranged and spear skills. The combat is turn-based, like in Conquistador. You can make use of your environment by hiding behind barricades, but also by making use of environmental hazards, of which some are interactive and some are not. An example of a non-interactive hazard are patches of ice; if you walk on them, there is a chance that your character will slip and fall and cannot use their next turn. One of the interactive hazards that were shown was tar pots. You can use an arrow to break the pot and have another character throw a burning torch on it. You could also do it with a sword instead of an arrow, but the tar will spread fairly quickly and also cover your feet, which will give you the status effect "flammable", making you susceptible to going up in flames if you're near fire. The fire from the tar will grow with every round that the battle lasts. The earlier this is done in combat, the more it will have grown during combat. There will be more things like this in the final game, but at the moment there is one other, which is a beehive that you can shoot down from a tree, sending a cloud of bees to wreak havok on the characters below them. These things give the players the ability to manipulate the battlefield and have something similar to an AOE spell.

Some of the skills that you can use in combat can be quite powerful and will, because of that, be limited to a certain number of uses per combat. One example is quick-shot, which gives a bit of an aim penalty, but if you are close enough that doesn't matter much. However, the big advantage is that it allows you to shoot twice, instead of just once. When you have selected the type of attack you want to perform, hovering over that opponent will show you how much damage you can expect to deal. You can use this to determine which skill to use for that character and whom to attack in this turn. For more details on combat be sure to check out the video at the end of this article.

Currently there is no friendly fire in the game. It's being considered, but the devs also want to make sure that playing an archer feels as valuable and useful as any other character. For this they are working on several things. One of them is that when your arrow misses, the character gets a status effect, "harried", which means the character is unnerved. After all, an arrow just flew by and missed the character by a few inches. The character's brush with death gives them a bit of a debuff. So, even if you shoot and miss, something comes out of that action.

For a melee character, the game does not have a hit percentage. You hit every time, but the damage you do will vary. If your opponent carries a shield, they have a chance of blocking the attack. If they succeed in blocking the attack, the shield's durability soaks up the damage. As mentioned, for range attacks you don't always hit.

If you only follow the main storyline, you should be able to get a boat and a party and sail to England in 10-15 hours and start raiding there. In Denmark you don't really do any raiding, since you live there. You will get into fights and people will attack you, but in general, your time at home will be more quest-driven and slightly more linear. The main storyline involves learning how to build ships, then constructing one. You also need to gather a crew, which means a lot of traveling around in order to find enough people to join you. And you will also need to fight your rivals in order to consolidate your power.

Like you move on the campaign map from A to B, you also move on the campaign map from Denmark to England. There is no sailing mechanic, but there are events that can happen while you are at sea. Conversations will occur, people will get sick, and so on. Conquistadorfeatured a similar narrative experience from being on the ship.

When you reach England, you will land and establish a staging ground. Other Vikings are already here, staging raids from their own beachheads. Moving inland from your staging ground, you will discover new locations. Any new locations you find accessible by water allow you to sail to that new location and create a new staging area there.

In northeast England, you will find the Northumbrians, and to the north in Scotland, the Picts. These groups are in conflict with one another, as well as dealing with internal conflicts. You're able to work with both initially if you want to, or you can pick a side. However, each of them has their own unique political landscape. The Northumbrians are Catholic, and the rules of their faith and culture prevent them from trading with the heathen Vikings. The current Northumbrian king in the game is especially pious and wants nothing to do with Vikings. The former king, who has been deposed, wants his kingdom back and is more favorable towards you. How you deal with these situations is up to you. You have the option of getting involved in their politics, allying yourself with the deposed king, or simply leaving the strife behind and going out to raid on your own.

Last year I was shown a preliminary version of the England campaign map and the camping mechanic. The new version is much improved, but the developers were not happy with it being shown to others, so they did not put it in the build. What Alex could tell me was that you travel between locations on the campaign map, requiring you to camp in the camping locations that appear. Last year, the camping spots would generate when you were ready to camp and would create different camping spots with varying stats. This has now been changed by placing the camp locations manually on fixed spots. They still will have different stats, so some are better than others. This allows the developers to have more control over how difficult it is to explore an area.

On the campaign map in Denmark there is no fog of war. This is your home and you know what it looks like. The campaign map in England is completely covered in fog and all areas need to be explored, so you do have to discover camping locations in order to be able to use them.

More on this topic can be found in last year's Gamescom article. Just be aware that it's a work in progress and that some things might be different in the end. The camping mechanics are still the same; crafting, hunting, witchcraft, guarding, and cooking are still in the build. Cleaning up the camp after you're finished is still a must as well, erasing signs of your passing and keeping the campsite safe for later use. If you don't clean up, people will know you've been there, which creates a possibility for an ambush the next time you decide to camp there.

The developers are aiming for about 40 hours of playtime from the main story line, with more added on when you do the side quests.

Expeditions: Viking is scheduled for Q1 2017 and will not be available in early access, as the dev team feels it would reveal too much about the campaign.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/10/13/expeditions-viking-release-date/

Fantasy-Free, Choice-Heavy RPG Expeditions: Viking

vi3.jpg

Over the last three weeks, I’ve received emails about seven different viking-based games. I guess we have our new zombies. Vikings, though, have something that the walking dead do not: Viqueens. I am glad to say that earthy, quasi-political RPGExpeditions: Viking does not force me to be another Odinson.

Yes, I know about Shieldmaidens, thank you. They’re ace, but I’m going with VIQUEENS and you can’t stop me. For Honor has come out swinging on that particular front, but Expeditions (follow-up to Expeditions: Conquistador, which I’m afraid I haven’t played but heard decentish things about) offers a slightly less meatheaded approach. Whatever character you create to be recently-crowned Thegn of an in-fighting Viking collective, you’ll face heavy resistance, both moral and physical, from various other hide-clad rebels and grumblers, but choosing a woman definitely adds a little extra something.

Facing down male NPCs’ barely-concealed horror that they are being led by a woman makes sticking an axe into their skulls all the sweeter. And the declarations from an enlightened few that of course, obviously you are a mighty and deserving ruler feel all the more significant because it is clear that this is a role that has had to be fought for, not simply bequeathed because I’ve got a beard and a bicep tattoo.

If it sounds like I’m banging on about one particular thing too much, well, yes, but my point is more that, given that it’s operating on a fraction of the budget of a BiObsidian affair, Expeditions is a remarkably responsive RPG, starting from the kind of character you choose to be and then rolling onward with it. It’s a game about behaviour as much as it is about twatting people with swords, this ongoing choice to (try and) be a benign ruler, a savage one, simply a blunt one or an ever-changing mix of all of the above.

vi1.jpg

Characters can be recruited to your ‘hind’, essentially a party but which also has a role to play in the management of your village, if you manage to impress them in conversation or in battle, or they can be lost forever – potentially even become a sworn enemy. Potentially even seizing your throne from you.

This is only a preview build of a full game not due until a few months into 2017, so I can’t say for certain that its choice and consequences will be as knotty and far-reaching as it seems to imply, but certainly its first major chapter leans heavy on that stuff. It’s more of a ruling sim with quests’n’combat thrown in than it is yer traditional hero’s journey. Grant mercy to these guys, but piss off those other guys because you look weak as a result – that sort of thing. Also, inept wolf-hunting, honor duels and finding lost brothers. RPG norms but parsed through a slight history filter.

vik2.jpg

There’s probably nothing new under the sun, sure, but it’s put together with a certain density that makes this stuff feel convincing and foundational to who your beleaguered character is, rather than a series of transitory kerfuffle.

In order to embrace this role, you’ve got to shrug off a certain crudity in presentation, both on a graphical front and in terms of the rather functional dialogue. Any or all of this might improve along the march to release (and it needs a technical spit and polish too), but even so I reckon Expeditions is achieving what it set out to do.

vi4.jpg

It’s a relief to play something comparatively buttoned down, that isn’t going to drop dragons or prophecies on me and where individual people and individual political decisions matter. I ‘failed’ a few quests, but the world still turned, just quietly adapting to what I’d done, or not done.

The turn-based, faintly Jagged Alliancey combat is serviceable too. It feels a bit wooden and bloodless, so don’t go looking for full Viqueen brutality here, but there’s an impressive range of character skills and weapons which mean you’re fighting somewhere between tactical and onslaught. You’ve got your guy who can hook an enemy’s shield away with an axe, a lass with a spear who can stab people from three hexes away, stunning people with shieldblows, multi-shot archers and even a witch who can throw poison in people’s faces.

vi5.jpg

It’s just about on the right side of credible, and most importantly it’s varied, though I don’t know that I’d call it especially elegant. Maybe that’s appropriate – certainly, I went into quite a few fights a long way short of certain how it would turn out.

One to keep an eye on, for sure. Expeditions: Viking is not exactly glossy, but it’s refreshingly grounded compared to the RPG norm, and quietly very intricate. Hell, it even asked me to choose what kind of tree I want to build my longboat out of. And what I wanted to call it. I did the depressingly obvious. I’m so very sorry.

vi6.jpg

Expeditions: Viking is due for release in the first quarter of next year.

Fantasy-Free
Vikings, though, have something that the walking dead do not: Viqueens. I am glad to say that earthy, quasi-political RPGExpeditions: Viking does not force me to be another Odinson.

Yes, I know about Shieldmaidens, thank you. They’re ace, but I’m going with VIQUEENS and you can’t stop me ... Whatever character you create to be recently-crowned Thegn of an in-fighting Viking collective... choosing a woman definitely adds a little extra something.

Facing down male NPCs’ barely-concealed horror that they are being led by a woman makes sticking an axe into their skulls all the sweeter.
Sounds pretty fucking fantasy filled to me.

retamar

Educated
"The turn-based, faintly Jagged Alliancey combat is serviceable too. It feels a bit wooden and bloodless..."
This sounds very familiar to me, the combat on the first expeditions had the exact same problem, I have not followed closely the development of this game, but feels like they have been listening a lot to peoples feeedback, I hope they tweak the combat a litle bit and make it more substantial.
In Conquistador, combat had a tendency to the boring side, the extremely limited options regarding items and skills are to blame.

RPS preview is just a big pile of shit, not even talking about the propaganda spread all over the place, but the article itself is pure garbage.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Skipped through a few of the videos. The Scandinavian gameplay looks quite Baldur's Gate-y (not in a bad way) although I haven't seen one use of rest yet. Is that function limited to England or something ?

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Resting is for staving off fatigue (and feeding your people), as well as crafting, tinkering, repairing, etc. A lot of these features were not in the preview build. In the final game you'll be able to do all of it in both campaigns.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.mmorpg.com/columns/viking-choice-and-consequence-in-the-frozen-wilds-1000011349

The RPG Files: Viking - Choice and Consequence in the Frozen Wilds

11349.jpg

This week, I was lucky enough to go hands-on with Logic Artist’s latest RPG, Expeditions: Viking. I had missed the studio’s previous entry in the series, Expeditions: Conquistador, but it was clear that the studio was onto something. Conquistador had achieved a kind of cult following. Players who liked it, really liked it. Viking was the evolution; a low fantasy tactical RPG steeped in Nordic lore and one that didn’t shy away from the intricacies and spiraling decisions of core roleplaying games. Just as importantly, Viking aimed to tell a deeper story through a smaller, but much deeper party.

And really? Who doesn’t want to be a viking king?

[Be sure to click through to page 2 for our interview with the game’s Creative Director, Jonas Wæver!]

You begin by creating a character. Choices are fairly limited; you get your usual gender, hair, and body type choices, as well as your starting outfit (cosmetic only). Really though, since this is an isometric RPG, you’ll be paying more attention to your armor than your face, so it’s a good fit. After settling on your appearance, it’s time for stats and skills. So many stats and skills.

As a roleplayer, I rather love the amount of choice Vikings provides. You’re given four points to invest across five stats and 50 attribute points to buy new skills and perks. Thankfully, these are broken down into sub-areas like offense, defense, and utility to keep it manageable. The messaging is clear right off the bat: this is an RPG game for people who really like the nitty gritty of character building.

Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin in its earliest moments.

It’s not long before you’re challenged for your place as Thegn of the clan. Combat is turn-based and uses a hexagon grid, with each character spending two action points per turn. This is usually enough to move and attack or to use one skill. Combat still feels rough around the edges, but this may just be because it doesn’t yet explain itself well. My first battle, I didn’t realize that I physically had to click on every character to choose their action, so I ended my turns prematurely. In my second battle, I discovered environmental hazards completely by accident.

The losses I suffered taught me something truly neat about expeditions: there is no game over for losing (at least in most cases, see the interview on the next page). Viking takes its cues from Conquistador and reacts to loss, forcing you to live with the consequences of defeat just as much as victory. This might mean injuries or losing standing, but you won’t be sent to a reload screen for failing in a fight.

2_t.jpg

Sadly, my time was cut very short. After just one evening with the game, the preview build was taken offline. This came as an incredibly disappointing surprise. There is something so fresh about the setting and storytelling of Viking (the writing is great!), I was eager to get lost for another night to see how the game opened up and verify these great first impressions. There were also so many things I hadn’t seen: upgrading your village, how party members develop, survival in the wilderness, how the main quest opens up!

I still had a ton of questions, so we got in touch with the game’s Creative Director, Jonas Wæver, to see just how the game would change and open up after those early moments. Click past the cut to read our interview!

11349.jpg

The early impressions lent by any roleplaying game can be a far cry from how it actually turns out. When crafting these questions for Logic Artists, my goal was twofold. First, I wanted to see whether my impression matched what the team was going for and how those systems played out in the long game. With only 90 minutes in, the vast majority of the game was left unseen. Creative Director Jonas Wæver was kind enough to sit down and share his thoughts.

MMORPG: How does the game handle defeat in battle as you progress? The first battle you can win or lose without a game over screen; the game just reacts. Is this a theme throughout?

Jonas Wæver: Yes it is a theme throughout. In most circumstances when losing combat the story goes on and the player survives, having to deal with the adversity of the new circumstance. There are a few pivotal moments in the story when losing a particular combat will not progress the story, and the player will have to recuperate back at camp and try again to proceed in the main story line.

MMORPG: How much impact do conversation choices have on your path through the game?

Jonas Wæver: Certain choices can mean life or death for certain characters. It could mean the difference between recruiting a new hirdman or not. Your choices can unlock new opportunities or result in unique quests or solutions. They can ally you with a faction or pit you against them. Or in the simplest case, they can modify the morale of followers who agree or disagree with what you’re saying.

MMORPG: How different can two player's narrative paths be? I would imagine that you'll follow a through-line as you go, but will the party/NPCs react to the decisions you've made or conversation choices you’ve made in a meaningful way? Put another way, more than just response dialogue before returning to the main conversation thread?

Jonas Wæver: We try to create a good balance between small-scale choices and large-scale choices. On the small scale, a particular confrontation can result in a peaceful resolution or a fight depending on your skills and what you choose to say. Characters that were spared in one quest may pop up to talk to you again later, perhaps to have another go at you or perhaps to thank you for your mercy. On the greater scale, once you get to Britain the storyline splits into several questlines for different factions. You can choose to do them in any order you like, and for some time you can play both sides, but eventually you’ll have to choose a side and the storyline quests become mutually exclusive.

3_t.jpg

MMORPG: Many RPGs put an emphasis on seeing the story through rather than put heavy weight on party member choices. That does not seem to be the case here. How important is party composition?

Jonas Wæver: Viking has a heavy emphasis on tactics in combat, so of course the weapons and abilities of your party members are very important. The system offers a fair bit of freedom in how to use your people though, so you should be able to find a way to win a fight no matter who makes up your party. If you want to keep a character with you purely because you like their personality, we’d encourage you to do so.

MMORPG: About how many party members will you have access to? Will they have traits similar to Conquistador? [Note: Conquistador featured party traits that would impact how they reacted to each other, making follower selection an important consideration.]

Jonas Wæver: Viking has more emphasis on pre-written characters with fleshed out personalities and backgrounds. Instead of 31 characters to choose from in the beginning, who are little more than a portrait and a name, Viking has 8 characters to recruit throughout the story, but each one has a much greater role to play, and much stronger characterization. In addition to these characters, the player can create a group of mercenary characters to fill out the ranks. When added to your party, the mercenary characters are given randomised personality traits to ensure that they can still butt into dialogue to offer their opinions occasionally.

MMORPG: Is it possible for a player to gimp themselves and create a character that will be unable to complete the campaign?

Jonas Wæver: Something like that is always possible, depending on how rebellious a player is being. For example, if the player were to create a support character, it could be particularly helpful to their party, but if the player then specs each of their party members to also focus on support and camping roles, they’re going to have a really tough time in combat.

4_t.jpg

MMORPG: How important is upgrading your village?

Jonas Wæver: Village upgrades affect the game in two ways. Firstly, they contribute to the two endgame “progress trackers”, Power and Prosperity. Upgrading the village is not the only way to increase these numbers, the player’s performance and choices throughout the game also contribute, but village upgrades offer great boosts. The second way that the upgrades affect the village is that many of the buildings provide additional bonuses such as extra weekly rations and medical herbs or access to better tiers of weapons or armor.

MMORPG: How important is survivalism as you progress through the game? There are skills related to hunting and rations, but is it possible/realistic for a player to complete the game without investing in these skills?

Jonas Wæver: The survival and camping skills are quite important to the player’s successful progress in the game. Focusing skill points exclusively on combat abilities will make it difficult to recover from injuries, acquire resources, and craft equipment (weapons, armor, and traps). If your party have limited guarding skills there are higher chances of the camp being attacked or robbed in the night. Low healing skills mean less chance of healing injuries from combat. Low hunting skill means you’ll be spending all your hard earned treasure on purchasing rations and supplies.

As a player you could forego camping, but the fatigue penalties will apply after a day or so of travel (depending on each character’s stats) and your people will become very weak if they don’t get enough rest.

We want to thank Jonas and Logic Artists for taking the time to answer our questions. Expeditions: Viking will be available in Q1 2017.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom