Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Jazz_

Arcane
Avellone? More like Vitellone as of lately, amirite?

Fairfax

Arcane
MCA just had a panel at PAX:

Unlikely that we'll see it on YouTube (he does panels at PAX all the time, and the most recent I could find on YT is from 2012), so this is probably all we get:

I'll update the post if someone shares more.

Fairfax

Arcane

Excel and word as advanced tools of the profession? christ, is the bar that low?
I don't think he meant Word and Excel in particular, just design docs and spreadsheets in general, as he's constantly talking about the importance of design documents and style guides.
He's also praised Google Docs/Spreadsheets, and IIRC he said Larian is using them a lot for D:OS2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think game development has such an ingrained culture of winging it that the benefits of using spreadsheets are something that people feel that they have to constantly and repeatedly praise. Other people from Obsidian do it too.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Excel can be a useful tool in many situations, but anyone who suggests using a VBA macro to solve a problem should be shot on sight.

Fairfax

Arcane

Fry_meme.png

Developer
The Excel answer from the panel (if I recall correctly) was largely b/c Excel as a mechanism for organizing game design dialogue (esp. localization and - unfortunately - often studio scripts), no public tool does it better.

There are studio proprietary tools that do an amazing job (and I wish I'd known about them sooner and/or I wish they'd lease them out, they trumped anything I've worked with before), but the question at the panel was what the public has access to or can purchase.

My feeling is that Excel ultimately trumps everything. Not the most elegant format to write in, but game writing logistics are demanding beyond the actual writing. I've found the best editors still have a way to export to Excel/XML, so it's always the dank basement no one wants to talk about but a good chunk of folks need (me included).

Word is a different issue. When appropriate, I use Word for 2 reasons. (1) Because it fixes all my dumb mistakes on the fly ("hey, here's a bug QA never has to know about b/c they have enough to do as is"), and (2) when working with other devs who want to review story before implementation, a Word doc of the dialogue, prose, or, well, whatever, works b/c Word has pretty good commenting features before it goes into an editor (although I think Google docs commenting features are better for the notification aspects, but Word's pretty good if you don't use Google docs).

Blah blah blah words words Excel Word blah blah blah

Trip

Learned
How should such a tool be able to function, for game writing? What should it offer, in your opinion?

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Maybe I have a stunted idiot lizard brain, but I cannot for the life of me imagine how you would organize, like, game design dialogue in Excel. I am not very familiar with how like, Twine, would organize it and wouldn't a flowchart make more sense than a table?

The only thing I ever used Excel for was a Star Trek ship list when I was in Grade 8, though.
USS THUNDERCHILD NCC-63549 AKIRA CLASS

Developer
That is a good question (*from Trip). So for a studio? Ultimately, you want to make the in-house tool as easy for a writer to write as possible. It sounds so obvious, but showing them the dank basement and asking them to go down there to get their roots and grubs may not be the best way. Most studios cloak the basement with a beautiful summer home (the editor).

Of course, that means you're tailoring a tool for certain writers. In the absence of that, a few major/minor things an editor should have, off the top of my head:

- Some sense of approximating the dialogue window in the game (and suggesting the writer keep things to 75% of that for either German or Russian localization). Without this, I often have to type out a string of characters to get a sense for how much can fit in the dialogue window: "ttttttttttttt, etc."

- I found the Bethesda's "limitation" on character count/node to be a positive, not a negative. It taught me and other writers how to be more economical in speech.

- Also, some means of including a description node of the context of each dlg file is also welcome, especially if you have a voice-acted game. ("This conversation between the coffee cup and the other coffee cup regards the fact that coffee cup #1 is jealous of the fact coffee cup #2 is filled with hot, smoldering coffee. Scene is resolved when cup #2 pours half of itself into cup #1, mirroring the theme of communal sharing in the game... and also as a sexual metaphor.")

- A good import/export function. This might be a tired refrain, but I often found "locking" the dialogue a few days before it goes to translation or gets the eye of QA to be valuable if you can isolate all the text in the game and run through it and fix all the common errors all at once ("Whoops. Guess not everyone knows how to spell stimpak" - including me). There's rarely a stage for that that works until near the end of the production cycle, though, and it does depend on the robustness of the editor's ability to import dialogue as well as export.

- I've liked Beamdog's tools. You can edit either in XML export (which is great for huge global errors) or through a web-based app, which is pretty simple - whichever you prefer, and you can also grant access to multiple folks (like, oh, say, really good fan translators). Thumbs up.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
- Also, some means of including a description node of the context of each dlg file is also welcome, especially if you have a voice-acted game. ("This conversation between the coffee cup and the other coffee cup regards the fact that coffee cup #1 is jealous of the fact coffee cup #2 is filled with hot, smoldering coffee. Scene is resolved when cup #2 pours half of itself into cup #1, mirroring the theme of communal sharing in the game... and also as a sexual metaphor.")

I think he's been reading our Prey thread.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Maybe I have a stunted idiot lizard brain, but I cannot for the life of me imagine how you would organize, like, game design dialogue in Excel. I am not very familiar with how like, Twine, would organize it and wouldn't a flowchart make more sense than a table?

Well, you can make roughly flowchart-like constructions in Excel, so I could see it working. In many ways it could be more readable and convenient than in Word when it comes to dialogues and their splitting.

It probably needs a lot of getting used to, though, given how cumbersome Excel is and that it's not exactly an orthodox application for it.

Trip

Learned
I don't know how this would go over with game studios, but this is the scripting language of the guys making the Sorcery! and 80 Days games. It says there it can be used as middleware and added to a Unity engine. It's not flowcharty, but it's supposedly very easy to work with, both in writing and in orientation.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Another benefit of using a tool such as excel is that when it comes to recording vo lines you can build a script from the spreadsheet quite easily.

Of course, that is only really a use case in indie scenarios, I'd imagine most AAA devs would have a tool that just sorts and turns dialogue trees into vo scripts.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Another example of Excel use in game design is that during pre-production when you're waiting on components such as the engine, tools etc. to come about you can prototype gameplay systems and start iterating as soon as possible.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015489/Reimagining-a-Classic-The-Design

You'll want to go down to slide 85 to see this in action, it's very impressive how many of the game systems they got working purely in excel; this method also allows easy playtesting with different people as compared to the pen-and-paper method.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Is there a market for tools like articy:draft or is this kind of tools caught between a rock (Excel) and a hard place (custom in-house tool)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom