Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warren Spector reveals new details about System Shock 3, Sheldon Pacotti and Doug Church onboard

Ash

Arcane
:salute:

And the two games are just as good as the other. SS2 is a tight, consistent immersive experience, and DX just has exceptional scope. Both are made up of outstanding design.

hpstg

Savant
Well made nostalgia sells like hot cakes. He simply doesn't want to do it this way. This makes me more hopeful actually. He could have taken the easy way out and not give two shits about creative honesty. We'll get our Warren Spector game, just remember that not all of his games have been good.

I don't believe he fits the mood of System Shock.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Name me one...JUST ONE...remade old good game (or sequel)...Where your nostalgia glasses were right.

Go on.

I'll be right here waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

Old man is old and doesn't know anything about games or fun anymore.

Enjoy your "Deeply simulated musical comedy". Whatever the fuck that means is his feeble old brain.

Zep--

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Name me one...JUST ONE...remade old good game (or sequel)...Where your nostalgia glasses were right.

Go on.

I'll be right here waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

Old man is old and doesn't know anything about games or fun anymore.

Zep--

This, perhaps?

Ash

Arcane
The only good remake is Resident Evil 1.

I've not played it, but I've listened to the "remastered" soundtrack and it put me off. RE's soundtrack was exceptional and shouldn't have been touched.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only good remake is Resident Evil 1.

I've not played it, but I've listened to the "remastered" soundtrack and it put me off. RE's soundtrack was exceptional and shouldn't have been touched.

Remake has a pretty decent soundtrack. Most of the pieces are based heavily on the originals.

Ash

Arcane
Most. Some are butchered and turned into ambient droning, like the mansion basement/kitchen. Others are relatively faithful, but I don't like the new style regardless. To me the soundtrack was one of the strongest aspects of the original game and I don't see the need to fuck with it. Of course there's a shitload of nostalgia AND subjectivity involved but it just sounds inferior to me.

Archibald

Arcane
When people say cyberpunk is dated I think they mean stuff like "Japan as the biggest economic power around" and "video payphones."

But with such reasoning pretty much everything that attempts to guess the future is outdated?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
When people say cyberpunk is dated I think they mean stuff like "Japan as the biggest economic power around" and "video payphones."

But with such reasoning pretty much everything that attempts to guess the future is outdated?

Well I think the idea is that Cyberpunk tended to be set in the 90's to the early 21st century based on the trends in the 1970's. So in a way it is 'outdated' since the predicted 'future' has become a quite different 'past' or even 'present'. I actually see Cyberpunk now as 'alternate future' much as Fallout is set in a future based on a different 'past'.

All 'predictions' that get overtaken by real events become 'outdated' unless they try to predict something in the very far future that may still have time to materialise. Therefore 'colonisation of other star systems in the 'future'' could still theoretically happen, but 'moon base by 1996' is most definitely outdated.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In some aspects, cyberpunk was certainly "beaten" by reality, while in (probably most) others it wasn't.
I see little problem in making a few "corrections" and just advancing the thing by 50-100 years and be done with it.
Nor is the "alternate reality/future" a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom