Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

DraQ

Arcane
Anyway, just a few points, in case you're still reading (which is a well formed tradition among perpetually butthurt primadonnas), dAb. (and if you aren't, at least I'll have my dead pope trial for shits and giggles *poke* ):
  • Generally accepted rule among TES fans is "boring therefore wrong" not "whatever Bethesda said most recently"
  • In the end, official lore only amounts to a headcanon distribution channel. Without fans' support any franchise is dead in the water and actual fans - surprise - actually care about this thing they are fans of so they expect some measure of consistency and don't take kindly to things getting changed just because someone said so - and Bethesda (even modern day Bethesda) knows that, otherwise they wouldn't have (silently) back-pedalled from oblivious and awful PGE3 when making Skyrim
  • ...Which is a good thing since fans can safeguard the course of their favoured works and force improvement on the authors
  • Conflating mechanics and lore is stupid and incompatible with any attempts to make "lore correct" mods (guess why)
  • Again, caring about lore and conflating lore with whatever someone said most recently are mutually incompatible
  • Making a lightweight mod is sadly no compensation for being lightweight in the head, so I'm currently not holding my breath for your mod supplanting Requiem.
P.S. If anyone wants to join in and sperg about TES lore coming, by design or fortunate accident, in the form of fallible, conflicting accounts, dropping some quotes here and there - now is the time.

P.S. If anyone wants to join in and sperg about TES lore coming, by design or fortunate accident, in the form of fallible, conflicting accounts, dropping some quotes here and there - now is the time.

Dude, I make a point of dragging Morrowind back out every half a year or so and blindly exploring to see if there are any tidbits I haven't personally encountered before and I *still* can't produce a tenth of the shit you do about it.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
So, I've bought skyrim 4 years ago and had 30 minutes of steam playtime on it (plus some five-fingered discount tryout time before I bought it), figured I'd give it another try. 4 hours in and I'm pretty much done. Is there any way to make this game halfway decent? I'd accept 20% the enjoyment of new vegas as an acceptable level of game, is there any mod that can bring it up to that level?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
So, I've bought skyrim 4 years ago and had 30 minutes of steam playtime on it (plus some five-fingered discount tryout time before I bought it), figured I'd give it another try. 4 hours in and I'm pretty much done. Is there any way to make this game halfway decent? I'd accept 20% the enjoyment of new vegas as an acceptable level of game, is there any mod that can bring it up to that level?
SkyRe and a couple of overhauls. I can't speak personally on any of these as my potato can barely run vanilla Skyrim. But from what I've heard, these work.

DraQ

Arcane
First and foremost you need Requiem to address the mechanics (also delevel the world and add some new spells and items) and Interesting NPCs to adress characters and quests (both by providing its own questlines and by providing followers that talk and comment a lot on both mod's own and vanilla content).
You can splice in some additional mods for additional stuff as long as you can get them to play nice with Requiem, like:
  • Dragon Combat Overhaul (better and less rote dragon fights)
  • Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim (moar unique spells)
  • Inigo (crazy skoomacat of a follower, very reactive, some bad naming and questionable coloration, but everything else is brilliant about this mod)
  • Morrowloot (semi-recommended - many great old artifacts, but getting good stuff gets a bit too easy)
Requiem itself is more or less a semi-hardcore overhaul - level scaling is off, combat becomes highly lethal affair for both sides, AI gets unfucked, casual features get disabled, mechanics gets improved and diversified, etc.

Drax

Arcane
Anyway, just a few points, in case you're still reading (which is a well formed tradition among perpetually butthurt primadonnas), dAb. (and if you aren't, at least I'll have my dead pope trial for shits and giggles *poke* ):
  • Generally accepted rule among TES fans is "boring therefore wrong" not "whatever Bethesda said most recently"
  • In the end, official lore only amounts to a headcanon distribution channel. Without fans' support any franchise is dead in the water and actual fans - surprise - actually care about this thing they are fans of so they expect some measure of consistency and don't take kindly to things getting changed just because someone said so - and Bethesda (even modern day Bethesda) knows that, otherwise they wouldn't have (silently) back-pedalled from oblivious and awful PGE3 when making Skyrim
  • ...Which is a good thing since fans can safeguard the course of their favoured works and force improvement on the authors
  • Conflating mechanics and lore is stupid and incompatible with any attempts to make "lore correct" mods (guess why)
  • Again, caring about lore and conflating lore with whatever someone said most recently are mutually incompatible
  • Making a lightweight mod is sadly no compensation for being lightweight in the head, so I'm currently not holding my breath for your mod supplanting Requiem.

To me, the issue is quite simple. Bethesda made some really good choices when developing Morrowind, with a few retarded ones. Oblivion was retardation incarnate. With Skyrim they made a few good improvements while still making plenty of retarded choices.
Therefore, my universal rule is that Morrowind will almost always override any other ES game in terms of "reference point". If the lore conflicts, then the default will 99% of the times be MW.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
After skyrim and fallout 4 i doubt they can dumb down next elder scrolls anymore :M

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
After skyrim and fallout 4 i doubt they can dumb down next elder scrolls anymore :M
Oh you poor naïve shill.

Well atleast Skyrim is still a much better -game- than witcher 3 for example, Todd said they are making new amazing things for next elder scrolls and I doubt Bethesda can fail at this point. Skyrim is still probably the best RPG of past 10 years.

typical user

Arbiter

They will remove ability to die like Ubisoft did in one of the last (or last, can't remember) Prince of Persia. They can remove dialogs altogether or even worse turn it into David Cage movielike with QTE all over the place.

Well atleast Skyrim is still a much better -game- than witcher 3 for example. Skyrim is still probably the best RPG of past 10 years.

:retarded:

DraQ

Arcane
Oh you poor naïve shill.
After Skyrim I don't think they will, given their vigorous backtracking from the massive fuck up that was Oblivion.

At worst they are likely to fuck up the questlines again and maybe dumb down the stat system even further (but partially compensated for by expanded perk system).
Of course, alternatively it might be that only prime-number TES games are ever good, in accordance to the pattern established up to this point, in which case TES VI is going to be beyond all hope. :M

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
After Skyrim I don't think they will, given their vigorous backtracking from the massive fuck up that was Oblivion.
Kind of impossible to deliver a game worse than oblivion but given the marked decline from Fallout 3 to 4 it's really impossible to tell where a future installment will end up quality wise. I think it's best to reign in your expectations to slightly better than oblivion that way you can be surprised if it is actually an improvement over Skyrim.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
My bet is Bethesda wants to get on the procedural hype and next elder scrolls will feature few procederual open worlds and they will market is as '5 times bigger than all of our previous games combined'

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anyone try YASH yet? I've been doing it. Pretty difficult, but when you aren't solid in a certain weapon, the fucking enemies are like HP sponges. I'm not sure I like hitting someone 100x's with my mace and still not kill them. Not sure if I like it better than Requiem, but I do like how compatible it is with other overhaul mods.

DraQ

Arcane
Anyone try YASH yet? I've been doing it. Pretty difficult, but when you aren't solid in a certain weapon, the fucking enemies are like HP sponges. I'm not sure I like hitting someone 100x's with my mace and still not kill them. Not sure if I like it better than Requiem, but I do like how compatible it is with other overhaul mods.
Author proven moronic, so no.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Author proven moronic, so no.
I've gotten feedback from him on his page. He's actually a pretty good mod author. The Requiem mod author is a fucking jackass as well as the one that has the patch site up.

Actually, it's very compatible with just about everything I'm running. I'm feeling it's a lot more stable than my large load-order Requiem games. Still, I haven't gotten that far. Just met up with a wolf after Riverwood. Took like 10 hits to kill the fucking thing, though. Feels weird being able to take more than 2 arrows and not die like in Requiem.

I'd say for anyone to try it out if they haven't. KFR looks like it won't ever get updated which is why I switched to YASH. They really should make YASH part of the STEP program. Very vanilla-friendly and compatible with a lot of stuff. Love that it's modular. I removed his YASH foods thing and replaced it with Realistic Needs and Diseases.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In a horny stint I decided that wanking to modded Skyrim is vital for my well being and I ended up using 5 hours to mod it only to experience the greatest buyer's remorse in ages since I had to buy the Dawnguard DLC for Morrowloot to work properly.

In a horny stint I decided that wanking to modded Skyrim is vital for my well being
Br00TCn.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom