Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2016 - Divinity: Original Sin 2

---

Arcane
Until they will remove the random loot, this is going to be shit anyway.
Sorry, I can't stand that abomination.

On the positive side, the paragraph about the writing is really interesting.

V_K

Arcane
If random and set loot are mixed to enough of an extent, I don't see much of a problem.
The problem isn't randomness per se. The problem is the loot treadmill that has no place in a deep turn-based game. Trash loot is as much of a design failure as trash mobs.

---

Arcane
Why did they keep this system?
Is there a serious reason?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If random and set loot are mixed to enough of an extent, I don't see much of a problem.
The problem isn't randomness per se. The problem is the loot treadmill that has no place in a deep turn-based game. Trash loot is as much of a design failure as trash mobs.

Yeah, I get that. And I do hope that they've toned down the amount garbage at least to some degree.

I suppose, though, that there's also the matter of approach from the players side; that one doesn't need to pick up and haul every piece of junk he might run into for a few pennies or a possible "further use" (knowing that not everything needs to be valuiable for the character/party at hand).

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Overall this looks very good. As Bubbles said, they seem to know what worked and didn't work last time and will only be fixing the "didn't work" stuff and expanding on what did. I also don't like the random loot stuff and I hope they have more hand-placed unique items than in D:OS. Couldn't care less about crafting as that was never something I go out of my way to use in any cRPG I play unless it is some forced scripted designer thing.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Excellent work Bubbles

I do have one question. In DOS1, you basically got all the elemental combinations by halfway through the game. Any new skills were just better/more powerful versions of the same abilities you already had. Are they doing anything to make sure there are new combinations to learn and/or interesting abilities to get even late in the game?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Excellent work Bubbles

I do have one question. In DOS1, you basically got all the elemental combinations by halfway through the game. Any new skills were just better/more powerful versions of the same abilities you already had. Are they doing anything to make sure there are new combinations to learn and/or interesting abilities to get even late in the game?

From what Swen said, the endgame Source abilities should play an important part in keeping the late gameplay interesting. I have no idea what those abilities actually look like, though. Then there's the spellcrafting and the extra influence of Source abilities on other effects.

Last edited:
Swen honesty amazes me. In the interview he, from his own will, have said things that no mainstream and most indie developers would not say if you put a gun to their heads.
:love:

Kaivokz

Arcane
So inXile cancels interview, employee claims interviews only for tier 1 sites so doubtful codex would be given one; Fargo douches it up, hides behind 'big bad' publisher.

Swen ambushes for longer session, shows passion for his team's project, and gives a great interview.

I'm glad I've contributed more to Larian than I have to inXile, props to them, and to Swen particularly.

If they want people to use the origin stories, they shouldn't make them race and gender specific.

I thought this, too. For my first playthrough I will probably just forgo the origin quests and make a custom character... I'll see if the friend I'm playing with wants to take on one of the roles (he might like the dwarf-assassin type guy).

Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Gamescom 2016; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Bubbles and JarlFrank expected to have just half an hour with Divinity: Original Sin 2. They ended up spending almost three hours with it. Here's some of what they learned:

Dear Codex,

Do us all a favor, and start reporting about all Crpg games out there.

After reading Bubbles & JarlFrank interview, I understand what's the RIGHT WAY to interview someone about his game!

Bubbles & JarlFrank - you did a hell of a job. I bow before you!

:greatjob:

Last edited:
Weasel
After reading Bubbles & JarlFrank interview, I understand what's the RIGHT WAY to interview someone about is game!

Yes, managed to be entertaining to read while covering a lot of ground and delving into some interesting details. Reconfirmed Swen as a bro while getting me hyped for a game for the first time in a while.

I tried a couple of DOS2 previews on tier one sites and they were a joke in comparison :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom