Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
For most people a 200 euros GPU is already quite an expensive investment, same for a cpu.
There's low settings for such people, why cry about it? Why it has to be full ultra + msaa?

The point he makes is, that if optimization was done right and the engine supports it, most new games on high/ultra settings could probably be run on very old hardware. Furthermore, this should be the priority for every dev out there, because they should cater to the ppl with low-end systems. My point is, devs don't wanna do that or don't have the time/skills or the engine support.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Skimmed through some playthroughs.
It's hilarious this game doesn't really put Jensen any closer to stumbling on to the Illuminati. The end boss is apparently just another strawman. The council scenes with DeBeers, Dowd, Everett, DuClare, Page, and that other dude are cool but, come on Squeenix, just give us that game already. Per the chronology, which I'm sure they can rewrite at whim, Page should stage his coup only a few years after the events of Mankind Divided (the game is 2029 and Page overthrows the Illuminati around 2030-2035).

The shitstorm will come when they do the third prequel and then release a redone Deus Ex. Or maybe they'll do 'The Adventures of Paul Denton!"

Coma White

Educated
Spent my whole evening on the game. Made it through Dubai (and kept the informant alive no less) and saved Koller from the Dvali -- basically the same shit we've already seen in prerelease footage. Game world is very detailed -- spent loads of time just poking around Prague.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The point he makes is, that if optimization was done right and the engine supports it, most new games on high/ultra settings could probably be run on very old hardware. Furthermore, this should be the priority for every dev out there, because they should cater to the ppl with low-end systems. My point is, devs don't wanna do that or don't have the time/skills or the engine support.
Indeed, I thought that this generation would be different, because the new consoles were basically living room pc, even running low end Amd hardware.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Indeed, I thought that this generation would be different, because the new consoles were basically living room pc, even running low end Amd hardware.

No because how a console works compared to how a pc works is entirely different.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone play through The Rucker Extraction yet? I already got two packages for Gallois but when I come back, there's no dialogue to give them to him. Probably because he already allowed me to reach The Throat before?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
All the Czech in the game is subtly off, it makes my teeth itch.

It's mostly the ham factor that's quite typical in our acting circles. Dubbing is a cheap and dirty job. Pay shit get turds.

Vavra recently posted how shocked he was when trying to find good actors for Kingdom Come. Low quality ham everywhere you look.

What's ever weirder is NPCs constantly switching between Czech and English (with vaguely Russian accent) in the background dialogues. Then again maybe everyone is at least bilingual in the future.

Astral Rag

Arcane
RtDRZWh.png

New Deus Ex ladies and gentlemen.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's microtransactions include in-game currency

While it has already been fairly common knowledge that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’s Breach mode would contain purchasable Booster Packs, the extent in which microtransactions have permeated throughout the overall game was somewhat of an unknown. Now that the game is out and on store shelves, and now that digital storefronts have been updated to reflect what purchases can be made relating to the new Deus Ex game, we can have a clearer idea as to what additional charges Square Enix have added to the overall experience.

As previously mentioned in the title, it is possible to buy packs containing currency and Praxis Kits for the single-player campaign. At this point in time, currency can be acquired in lots of 1,000, 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000 Credits for the price of $0.99, $4.49, $7.49 and $9.99 respectively.

Praxis Kits can be obtained in lots of 1, 5 and 10 for the cost of $0.99, $3.39 and $6.99.

Chipsets, which serve as a form of currency for the Breach game mode, can also be purchased using real-world money. Chipsets can be used to buy Booster Packs of content, custom weapons and so on. These currently retail at $0.99, $4.49, $7.49 and $29.99 for packs of 10, 50, 100 and 500.

microtransactions-noscale.jpg

Alongside these microtransactions, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided currently has two weapon packs for sale. These packs are included in the $29.99 Season Pass and are as follows:

“Tactical Pack - Using distance to your advantage, eliminate your targets silently with a custom skinned Tranquilizer Rifle, the Micro Assembler Augmentation, one pack of tranquilizer ammo, 3 Smoke Grenades, and 2 Gas Grenades.”

“Assault Pack - Prepare to advance and assault the enemy with a custom skinned Battle Rifle, the Chaff Augmentation, one pack of regular Battle Rifle ammo, one pack of armor piercing Battle Rifle ammo, 2 Frag Grenades, and 2 EMP Grenades.”

Considering that it’s now been proven that a significant portion of the Season Pass consists of either reskins of weapons already available in-game and content acquired through microtransactions, it seems more advisable than ever to simply wait until the two story missions the Pass is also meant to provide have been released and reviewed before dropping any money on additional Deus Ex content.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is really nothing new for Squeenix. Didn't they sell the same kind of boosts/cheats as DLC for the relaunched Tomb Raider? Anyway, after the slap in the face of making owners of HR + Missing Link rebuy the Director's cut they can fuck off until they release the Super Duper version a few years from now for 70% off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For fuck's sake, they actually did it. Microtransactions revealed on release day. I'll never underestimate publisher shadiness again.

I'm still unsure whether you can buy them on PC, though?

Skimmed through some playthroughs.
It's hilarious this game doesn't really put Jensen any closer to stumbling on to the Illuminati. The end boss is apparently just another strawman. The council scenes with DeBeers, Dowd, Everett, DuClare, Page, and that other dude are cool but, come on Squeenix, just give us that game already. Per the chronology, which I'm sure they can rewrite at whim, Page should stage his coup only a few years after the events of Mankind Divided (the game is 2029 and Page overthrows the Illuminati around 2030-2035).

The shitstorm will come when they do the third prequel and then release a redone Deus Ex. Or maybe they'll do 'The Adventures of Paul Denton!"

HEY! Don't deny me my head-canon about the AI you meet at Everett's pad ("I am a prototype for a far more powerful AI") being a prototype for SHODAN.
Yes, yes, I know it's a prototype for Icarus or Daedulus, I've played the game about a fucktillion times, but there are plot-holes there. Daedulus is supposed to be a future extension of the current email/internet mass search + tag function within the current '5 eyes' intelligence agreement; Icarus seems to be Page's own MI-5 creation; it doesn't make sense for either of them to have come from Everett's prototype

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
lol, players actually buying them. No self control. You get enough credits and praxis kits from actually playing the game through.

Some people like to be OP without having to cheat. Microtransactions are a great tool for that.

HansDampf

Arcane
Paying for cheats in a single-player campaign... That has to be one of the most pathetic things I've seen in gaming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’s PC port suffers technical issues, backlash over pre-order bonuses

In circumstances that are beginning to feel all too common, a sizeable number of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’s PC players have run into issues followingyesterday’s launch.

Technical problems such as frame rate drops, mid-high tier systems struggling to perform on lowered settings, and disabled mouse acceleration options are but a few of the complications some players have cited on Steam and Reddit. Furthermore, confusion regarding misleading information on the game's pre-order/Day One Edition DLC has also upset a chunk of the game’s player base.

Speaking first to the latter, the pre-orderable Covert Agent Pack, as it was first known, grants players access to specific weapons, outfits, and upgrades. These items, located in your in-game storage space, are transferable to your inventory—however before now there was no indication that this is a one-time transaction.

Square Enix has since renamed the pack the Augmented Covert Agent Consumables Pack, which ostensibly means if you redeemed the consumables via your first save they’re gone for good. Expectedly, this has upset many playerswho opted in without this prior knowledge, prompting Eidos Montreal’s community manager to step in with this explanation:

“Consumables (Praxis Kits, Ammo, Credits, Crafting Parts) are one-time use items. They will be in the storage section of your inventory, until you decide to add them to it. Once you do, they will be ‘consumed’ in your current playthrough, and not re-usable. Consumables work the way they do due to first party constraints.

“Durables (Weapons, Skins, Augmentations) are not one-time use. They will automatically be available in all of your playthroughs, once you have downloaded and installed them.”

On the performance front, Steam reviews at the time of writing are “Mixed” (1,693 positive, to 932 negative) however Square Enix has since posted a list of issues it’s aware of, and a further list of possible interim fixes until it gets a grip of the situation. Rather frustratingly, these include obvious pointers like lowering graphics settings and playing the game in windowed mode—making the need for a proper patch all the more important.

"The console manufacturers forced us to make the PC version DLC work like microtransactions too." >_>

But I've seen reports that the DLC weapons work like microtransactions as well, that they have to be bound to a savegame. Is that false?

Astral Rag

Arcane
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's annoying microtransactions in the spotlight
We never asked for this.

By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 24/08/2016

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's microtransactions are annoying a lot of players.

Eidos Montreal's cool action role-playing game launched on Tuesday to a positive reception from critics, but the pre-order DLC sparked a furious reaction on the game's subReddit.

The complaints revolve around single use, single save pre-order items. DLC items are saved in storage, and you can transfer them at any point to your inventory.

Players were surprised to discover that after DLC items were transferred to the inventory, they could not be used again, even on another playthrough.

In response, the community suggested players make a save as soon as the game allows, then claim the pre-order DLC, then start every subsequent playthrough from that save and not from a new game in the menu. It's a ridiculous situation and an even more ridiculous workaround forced upon players.

jpg

As you'd expect, Deus Ex players reacted in anger, taking to the game's subReddit to complain. That's where Eidos Montreal community manager "Poticha" stepped in.

Poticha clarified that there are two types of item in the game: consumables and durables.

Consumables are Praxis Kits, ammo, credits and crafting parts. These are one-time use items. And yes, once you add them to your inventory, they are consumed in your current playthrough and are not re-usable.

Poticha said consumables work the way they do "due to first-party constraints", which points the finger at Microsoft and Sony, although it's such a vague statement that it's hard to work out what it means.

Durables, however, are weapons, skins and augmentations, and are not one-time use. These are automatically available in all of your playthroughs, once you have downloaded and installed them.

This statement sparked more questions from players upset that there are consumables in the game in the first place.

jpg

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, a full-price game, contains microtransactions for everything from in-game credits to Praxis Kits and Chipsets, the latter of which are used to buy premium booster packs and custom weapons for the Breach game mode.

But it's the microtransactions for the single-player that are causing the biggest stink. You can buy credits and Praxis Kits for the campaign, for example £3.59 for 5000 credits.

It's in this context that many players have accused publisher Square Enix of using consumables to create a microtransaction market for the new Deus Ex.

Microtransactions in big-budget games is nothing new, of course. But there's still something icky about microtransactions being in single-player focused games. If I fork out full-price for a hefty campaign, the last thing I want to see is an in-game shop.

For me? I'm just disappointed that Deus Ex, a game that by all accounts is pretty great, is being tarnished by annoying microtransactions.

Infinitron

"Durables, however, are weapons, skins and augmentations, and are not one-time use. These are automatically available in all of your playthroughs, once you have downloaded and installed them."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom