Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Don't tell me we have idiots onboard who seriously thought none of that was scripted.

Basically a quest to kill 2 dudes to get a box. Whoa, it's totally real, Star Citizen is gonna be mass-seeeeve!

Angthoron

Arcane
Don't tell me we have idiots onboard who seriously thought none of that was scripted.

Basically a quest to kill 2 dudes to get a box. Whoa, it's totally real, Star Citizen is gonna be mass-seeeeve!
It'll have procedurally generated voice acted quests, you silly moo.

I think the master plan is that once they build game version 8.0 in 10 years, entire SQ42 campaign will procedurally come into being on its own.

It's like magic. Except Chris Roberts brand of magic which ain't free. So let's see those e-wallets now!

Drax

Arcane
The thing I liked the most about the a3.0 presentation was how CR kept finding ways to take advantage of NMS's suckage. Like when they had the player on the ship and the one on the station wave to each other.
Good trollin', Mr. Roberts.
:greatjob:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
:shredder: hard to resist the hype on this

It's easy to picture an incredible single-player campaign being built on what they're showing. All the pieces are there... they just have to deliver on the content.

Disgruntled

Savant
Star Citizen continues to deliver in daydreams fueled by demoes and promises. Dare not install the latest alpha and ruin those dreams.

Angthoron

Arcane
:shredder: hard to resist the hype on this

It's easy to picture an incredible single-player campaign being built on what they're showing. All the pieces are there... they just have to deliver on the content.

Yes! So just wait and buy it once it's out in 2045, it'll only cost 30 United Earth Credits. You'll be able to play it on the holodeck of your space yacht and remember the simpler days of when mankind only dreamt of space flight proper.

Or you can buy in now, buy a few JPG ships and play the shitty broken pre-alpha that doesn't have anything that they showed on Gamescom and probably won't have for another year. It's a sound investment either way.

Latelistener

Arcane
Or you can buy in now, buy a few JPG ships and play the shitty broken pre-alpha that doesn't have anything that they showed on Gamescom and probably won't have for another year. It's a sound investment either way.
As long as it makes you happy.

ac7f05467e0dd73d2d611860bc222162-650-80.jpg

Latelistener

Arcane
I'm not really sure how they're going to build content on it, when even basic systems do not work properly. It's always looks like it's about to crash or something.

:shredder:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

So much shit on YouTube with people shouting in silly voices and acting all 'zany' while doing dumb stuff trying to get people to laugh, and this video right here is funnier than all of them altogether! I particularly love the guy trying to spin it into a positive, "See how great RSI is? They're not afraid to show you the bugs!" Yeah right, Quake Wars looked better and smoother than that 10 years ago!

:bravo:

:Flash:

Arcane
The FPS gameplay looks to be about the same quality as in Derek Smart's games, admittedly with better graphics. The Star Citizen fans should be loving his games.

Dexter

Arcane
Hey guize, I stumbled upon Star Citizen gameplay from back in 2012, it'll be in the Alpha any moment nao and CryTek had nothing to do with it putting together an Extended Cinematic Trailer:

Meanwhile in the real world:
Pw476PC.jpg

Craziest thing about this, is that computers were capable of rendering great-looking space sims from around the mid 90s. The genre died out in large part because there was no point in studios spending big marketing dollars building a brand name in a genre where any 2-bit player can come along and clone it.

Space looks pretty much the same today as it did when Freelancer came out. Since then, stylised cartoon type graphics have become more acceptable, not less, so it's not like there's any particular need for better textures on the other ships, or better graphics for the planet menus. Who the fuck is going to play a space sim in order to spend hours driving around on the individual planets, instead of flying around in space trading/pirating/etc?

I was also one of those people who played Freelancer, and immediately wanted a game where you could work your way up to flying one of the massive capital ships, influencing wars between dynamic factions and so on. I got that game too, it was called Space Rangers 2, but whilst that was great, it scratched a different itch due to being in 4X perspective instead of cockpit perspective. But every bit of 'cool stuff' that you could want in a space sim can be achieved using 'space + ships + planet-menus'. Having the actual planets, towns, walking about in your ship, actual humans/aliens walking about instead of their face pop up when you open ship-to-ship communications....all of that is totally superflous.

I'm not even saying that as an anti-graphics-whore comment. Freelancer type 'space graphics' still is graphics whore 'space graphics'. How many fucking textures can you really add to 'black stuff, some round spheres, occasional rock clouds' anyway? We already know that 10 year old computers have the processing power to do the 'massive galaxy, dynamic factions/economy/etc' stuff, because we've played Space Rangers 2. Just give me that in cockpit perspective, with no advancement in graphics, and you've got everything you could want in a cutting edge space sim. People are going crazy pouring money into shit that is utterly marginal, if not wholly irrelevant, and the difference between a technologically modest 'space rangers 2 in cockpit perspective' and 'insane project that will never be completed because it's impossible without AAAAA funds' is the attempt to implement stuff that could be more conveniently handled through planet menus anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom