Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Panic at Multiverse High! - a new visual novel by DoubleBear

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Annie played Skyrim for nearly 150 hours but couldn't even be bothered to play D:OS for more than 2. :M

But seriously, I get moving from a full game to a visual novel after people hating combat in your games while praising your writing... but this?

I get the impression that since Dead State was Brian's brainchild, it's now Annie's turn. They get to one-up Avellone by doing the high school RPG he wanted to do until he played Bully, and slather it with her womanchild aesthetics.

So is this DoubleBear's new direction? Have they abandoned any thoughts of more ambitious games (and indeed games in general). Does anyone know how bad the Dead State sales were?

http://steamspy.com/app/239840 Owners: 111,466 ± 8,308

Even with Steam cuts and deep discounts to consider, that's somewhere in the range of half a million to a million. Who knows how that had to be divided up, but considering Serpent in the Staglands

http://steamspy.com/app/335120 Owners: 6,328 ± 1,979

and the Copper Dreams that will be following, it's clear that this is the direction they want to take, not one they're "forced" to take (The Whalenought couple also lives in Seattle, so no, their costs of living aren't any lower).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree that Dead State probably wasn't as much of a commercial failure as the Mitsodas have made it out to be, but I'm also skeptical that Joe & Hannah of Whalenought live entirely off of their games. They give me a strong "our parents are supporting us until our games business gets off the ground" vibe.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I agree that Dead State probably wasn't as much of a commercial failure as the Mitsodas have made it out to be, but I'm also skeptical that Joe & Hannah of Whalenought live entirely off of their games. They give me a strong "our parents are supporting us until our games business gets off the ground" vibe.
THey mentioned doing freelancing during SitS kickstarter, if I'm not mistaken.

lightbane

Arcane
:hmmm:
Well, at least now they have an excuse to have everyone be an unlikeable asshat, since they are aliens or :incloosive:-friendly beings. Lelz that they had to blatantly recycle (twice!) one of the most annoying characters, I guess the passive-agressive chairbound guy/the devs' mouthpiece would have been too obvious.

Self-Ejected

Yuri Gagarin

Self-Ejected
PwMLq.png

Never forget.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Keep in mind DoubleBear is funding this with no new kickstarter (shame, just think of the drama with this pitch) and Whalenaught did another one.

When you wake up disoriented and barely knowing your name and nearly late for high school and then threatened by a weird tentacle guy in a letterman jacket - what's a hero to do?

BECOME THE COOLEST PERSON AT MULTIVERSE HIGH, OF COURSE!

I'm very skeptical about this. It just doesn't seem consistent with what japanese drawings on the internet have taught me.

Edit: mind you, those japanese drawings seem to have a massive plothole. How is a tentacle demon supposed to pose any kind of serious threat, when everywhere is a groin shot. No wonder they're always so aggressive - every time they move to take a step anywhere, they'd be going 'ouch my balls! ouch OUCH my balls!'

Cromwell

Arcane
When you wake up disoriented and barely knowing your name and nearly late for high school and then threatened by a weird tentacle guy in a letterman jacket - what's a hero to do?

BECOME THE COOLEST PERSON AT MULTIVERSE HIGH, OF COURSE!

I'm very skeptical about this. It just doesn't seem consistent with what japanese drawings on the internet have taught me.

Edit: mind you, those japanese drawings seem to have a massive plothole. How is a tentacle demon supposed to pose any kind of serious threat, when everywhere is a groin shot. No wonder they're always so aggressive - every time they move to take a step anywhere, they'd be going 'ouch my balls! ouch OUCH my balls!'

thats why they stick these tentacles in girls, its less the sex and more the comfortable footwear, baka

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just hope this gets over with quickly, one way or the other. Honestly, I have nothing against Annie, but I'm not a fan of her work. I am still a fan of Brian. Once the other shoe drops on this Annieverse nonsense maybe we can see a new idea from him.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's p. funny that it peaked on 3 concurrent players. Brian, Annie and an artist?

I guess it's going to get some players once it starts polluting bundles and giveaway threads.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't remember where I first saw the game but I immediately closed the tab. Didn't know this was DB working on it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It hasn't quite been a week, but golly gee did this bomb. Not a single Steam review, nor a single post on the board since release day. Steamspy shows nothing. Steamcharts shows an all-time peak of 3, a 24 hour peak of 1 http://steamcharts.com/app/515000

Meanwhile other visual novels released on the same day or since then:

Flowers -Le volume sur printemps-
Release date: Aug 17, 2016
Price: $17.99 10%
Score rank: 100% Userscore: 100% Owners: 2,119 ± 1,465
http://steamspy.com/app/452440

Wish -tale of the sixteenth night of lunar month-
Release date: Aug 19, 2016
Price: $7.19 10%
Owners: 554 ± 1,085
http://steamspy.com/app/392370

ACE Academy
Release date: Aug 22, 2016 (previously in Early Access)
Price: $16.74 33%
Score rank: 99% Userscore: 98%
Owners: 5,212 ± 1,859
http://steamspy.com/app/396650

Vision of Aurora Borealis
Price: $3.99
Owners: 759 ± 857
http://steamspy.com/app/492080

Backstage Pass
Price: $25.49 15%
Score rank: 75% Userscore: 89%
Owners: 5,559 ± 1,920
http://steamspy.com/app/288220

Good thing they spent less than a year and not too much money on this. Wonder if they're going to go ahead with the jrpg anyway? +M

SniperHF

Arcane
Was there even an attempt to hype it, even in the lowly circles where people might be interested in this thing?

Or did they just dump it on Steam?

Tigranes

Arcane
I can only conclude, from the trailer, that the target audience is the kids who will watch anything that is on Cartoon Network and love it as much as their cereal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom