Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment Gameplay Footage and More Interviews from Gamescom 2016

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Shit UI can turn even the best RPG into a nightmare from deepest pit of hell. Same with strategy games.

--Dante

edit: citation added

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
tyafkn.jpg

;^)

Fry

Arcane
The run/walk animation In TTON drives me nuts, too, but comparing what a small team produced to a Ubisoft demo with mocap data is just a bit unfair.

Fucking The Banner Saga used mocap.

Not what I'd call a fantastic result if so, but comparing the two for shits and giggles... Torment's run/walk looks mostly fine. The problem is how it feels to play. The start/stop sluggishness is annoying as fuck.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Lol yes, their root motion kinda sucks compared to what professional animators do.

Well, sucks or not, it's annoying and an absolutely pointless feature.

It looks too relatable, like something some centuries from now rather than a billion years in the future.

Kinda agree, but it looks like it's quite faithful to Numenera's style... if you can call it that.
That there are relatable parts is well... part of that, but hopefully there's also gonna be some of the actual weirdness of Numenera of which there is plenty in the source materials.

As much as a played of the beta it suggested that there is, if not in the graphics directly then in the writing/setting where really it's much easier to go crazy.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
1. UI seems fine.
2. UI is the last thing to discuss in a game. And for some reason, I see gaming press discuss "UI" and "bugs" like those two were the most important things in a game, because they don't understand other aspects of games. Don't lower yourselves to their level.
Everybody knows that UI is the only thing that matters! Along with the art style. Its the things people here love to criticize, because its subjective and requires no knowledge or insight. Every shitposter thinks he looks smart criticizing that. On other meaningful critique fronts codex usualy falls flat.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've avoided most tton info, but the UI does look cheap and not like InXile cheaped out on making it, but like it's a cheap plastic object in the game world. Fisher Price UI comes to mind as a description.

Also the characters hovering above the ground seems even worse than PoE.

The backgrounds look good through, don't understand why people are complaining about those.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
RPG Codex should change its name to RPG Cuckdex, because even after being cucked, they would still please their overlord Fargo.

What if the Codex was cucked, but the game turns out to be good?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Infinitron should get slack on this one. The community spent $5000 of probably non refundable money on the game. It is sort of an item of economic interest.

... by the way, has anyone heard of "Kicking it forward" being cancelled? I was curious if inXile intended on honoring that commitment after reneging on everything else, and the site seems to be down.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Infinitron should get slack on this one.

Only Infinitron? How about the other posters, that praised the blacklisting and keep saying that the console release won't affect anything? Do they got tagged at least? No, because this is considered normal here. How about all the news coverage Obsidian receives here after the PoE fiasco. Normal. Interview with Josh Sawyer, that idiot who can’t understand game design if his life depended on it. Normal. I hate to say this, but for all practical purposes, the Codex is just Polygon with less moderation.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The blacklisting is a medal of honor. The Torment for consoles is humiliating. The submissive attitude of the Codex, (read: Infinitron, other members of the staff and some other posters here) is even more embarrassing. Fargo got the money he wanted, treated us like shit, and when we become a nuisance, got free publicity the same way. Degrading, debasing and revolting. I don’t know if this bombardment of Inxile and Obsidian on the news page is just adoration for obscure celebrities or is also his way of showing work, and I don’t know which one is worse either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom