Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Civilization VI announced and put on Steam for pre-orders

Luzur

Good Sir
How many times can you make the same game? Civ 1-3 was like, the pinnacle of the series.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That sounds really boring. Multi-tile cities is the best they could come up with?

The main problem with Civ V is with the feedback loops. Get a decisive early or mid-game lead and you become quickly unstoppable. This leads to really boring games. It badly needs systems which make life harder for successful empires so games aren't just a furious scrabble for an advantage followed by coasting to victory (or inexorable defeat).
All Civ games had this. Biggest problem with V was that the designers didn't understand Civ. Trying to add tactics when Civ battles in Civ are abstractions of huge battles is wrong. Trying to balance "tall" Civs vs "wide" Civs is wrong. I think even trying to slowdown/stop road/improvements covering the Earth was wrong.

The cool things Civ5 managed: uses for additional resources, some of the religion stuff was cool.

eXalted

Arcane
How can people bear with the Civ IV stacks of doom... They are even worse than the ones in Civ III.

Drakron

Arcane
Simple, splash damage ... drop a nuke and the stack is gone.

This was true since Alpha Centauri, you only need weapons that deal damage to all units within the tile ... artillery, bombs ... anything like that works so Doomstacks can simply be erased from the map, one unit per title doesnt work, Endless Legend allowed stacks during the movement phase and then switched to a more tactical "one unit per tile" during the combat phase, no wonder Civ VI seems to be taking a lot of the Endless Legend, a bit too much in fact ...

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well now it's one unit + support units.

Problem with 1UPT is that it makes the game somewhat tactical-heavy where the AI can't do well at all.

What the AI can do is manage its own cities fairly well (for the most part) and produce lots of units which then club you over the head in large doomstacks, moving a large part of the game's military aspect into preparation which is probably where it should be given the rest of the game's scope.

Saladin

Literate
Well now it's one unit + support units.

Problem with 1UPT is that it makes the game somewhat tactical-heavy where the AI can't do well at all.

What the AI can do is manage its own cities fairly well (for the most part) and produce lots of units which then club you over the head in large doomstacks, moving a large part of the game's military aspect into preparation which is probably where it should be given the rest of the game's scope.

Nope man.
the fact that they develops new Civ should imply that they should work somehow on the aspect of the war also by the side of "tactis" other that "preparation".
In CiV they tried and did a fairly good job on the paper.But in reality the IA was dumb(as you also say) and in the end it was only a matter of getting good position and kill everything that comes in range.

The doomstack were bad,really bad.The combat in CiV V is also bad.
And it is exactly because they don't manage to progress on the gameplay that everyone agrees that Civilization peaked with the 3/4 and should stay there.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Stacks were OP... but we loved our stacks, didn't we. And

Simple, splash damage ... drop a nuke and the stack is gone.

This.

Still going from unlimited stacks in IV to no-stacking was a risky decision that, for many players including me, didn't work.

Best Civ are: I in emperor dif., modded IV and Alpha Centauri.

Still waiting for a Civ with Total War battles.

Combine CIV - EU - Total War and Crusader Kings = best Strat game evar
add heir making minigame

Ah like the lockpick minigame in Oblivion?

Yeah, followed by a sidescroller minigame were you guide the sperm, collecting bonuses for a successful impregnation. Get enough points and the heir is born with positive traits like genius or strong, fuck it up and you end up with an inbred, clubfooted, imbecile, dwarf.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Still waiting for a Civ with Total War battles.

Combine CIV - EU - Total War and Crusader Kings = best Strat game evar
add heir making minigame

Ah like the lockpick minigame in Oblivion?

Yeah, followed by a sidescroller minigame were you guide the sperm, collecting bonuses for a successful impregnation. Get enough points and the heir is born with positive traits like genius or strong, fuck it up and you end up with an inbred, clubfooted, imbecile, dwarf.

... and if you screw up the first minigame, you end up in the colon, dodging poo? :D

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I poured my lifetime amount of civ hours in civ 2. I always dip in a new iteration,
but they haven't kept me for long. Then again I find myself replaying
Colonization and Master of Magic from my old Dos Disks again about
every year or the other. All's fine.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
All Civ games had this. Biggest problem with V was that the designers didn't understand Civ. Trying to add tactics when Civ battles in Civ are abstractions of huge battles is wrong.

This is the key, the battles at this scale have to be abstracted, the only elegant way to do this is like EU4, you build an army (stack) and then they fight another army on an imaginary battlefield with all the proper calculations done under the hood.

Otherwise you have to do the TW thing and "zoom" in for battles, which I guess is what EL sort of tried to do, a middle ground between civ style and TW, but its still seems awkward and wrong.

But civ games have always had derpy combat simulation so I doubt it will ever change.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom