Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Doesn't matter. The cap stops decreasing at about 20%, as in you'll always regenerate to a minimum of 20% energy.
So it's the same as HR then, 99% of the time you're running around with 20% energy aka 1 battery, since that's what always recharges.

0ZxsHWk.png

Now that I think of it, the fact that a purchased item can only be applied one time to a single save game indicates pretty strongly that MD wants you to repeatedly buy in-game items for cash.
Only letting you to put dlc/preorder items into one save game has to be one of the most insanely money-grabbing things I have ever seen.

I mean, that's gotta be fake right? Or only for the stupid Flux game mode or whatever they're calling it? It's just too surreal to be true.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I don't think it's fake but they seriously cannot pull some buy weapons for real money type of deal here. If the pre-order thing caused such a huge shitstorm alone surely Square Enix wouldn't force this in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean, that's gotta be fake right? Or only for the stupid Flux game mode or whatever they're calling it? It's just too surreal to be true.

Breach mode.

They specifically mentioned there being microtransactions in Breach when it was introduced. It would be highly unusual if they went "Oh, actually no, the entire game has them" at the last minute.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Forget about that eye-tracking thing. I have worked with those, including Tobii's, and I simply cannot see the current tech working with computer games. First, it will need much more juice from your computer so that eye tracker won't lag behind whatever is going on on-screen. Second, there are so many factors influencing the accuracy of the tracking that I cannot see it working properly in a first-person perspective game. Lightning conditions (and placement of lights, location of windows relative to the eye tracker) have to be suitable. If you wear glasses it might - and often does - confuse the tracker, eye-makeup may confuse the tracker, and for some few persons (for not completely known reasons) eye tracking simply doesn't work. You also have to sit at a proper angle to the eye tracker device for it to work accurately, meaning it might be very un-ergonomic for some (or many) set-ups.

So forget about it, and wait for VR to do the job instead.

Concerning the game, it seems to be a case of "wait for codex review" and then probably for 75% steam sale.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The review embargo is the 19th, 4 days before launch. They must be feeling confident in the product.
Human revolution has a metacritic of 90. Given that this is mostly the same I would not at all be surprised if this gets more. The game also appears to not have a lot of competition (especially with no mans sky being a bust).

No reason not to be confident, unless there's some big performance issues or something. And there very well might be, looking at the PC specs.

I'll probably pre-order this this week. I am a sucker for deus ex :(

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Human revolution has a metacritic of 90. Given that this is mostly the same I would not at all be surprised if this gets more. The game also appears to not have a lot of competition (especially with no mans sky being a bust).

No reason not to be confident, unless there's some big performance issues or something. And there very well might be, looking at the PC specs.

I'll probably pre-order this this week. I am a sucker for deus ex :(

The only outlier in the specs listing is 8gb for minimum on RAM and 16 for Recommended. Otherwise, i3 2100 and GeForce 660 are bog standard for current gen games. And honestly 8gb isn't even that unusual for minimum reqs listing these days.

Doom (2016) had these minimum reqs:
  • Processor:Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
  • Memory:8 GB RAM
  • Graphics:NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
  • Storage:55 GB available space

The Witcher 3 was:
  • OS:64-bit Windows 7, 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1) or 64-bit Windows 10
  • Processor:Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
  • Memory:6 GB RAM
  • Graphics:Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
  • Storage:35 GB available space

Hitman:

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor:Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
    • Memory:8 GB RAM
    • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 / Radeon HD 7870
    • DirectX:Version 11
    • Storage:50 GB available space

Rise of the Tomb Raider:
  • Processor:Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
  • Memory:6 GB RAM
  • Graphics:NVIDIA GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
  • DirectX:Version 11
  • Storage:25 GB available space

Yeah, it'll be an Enhanced more-of-the-same kind of deal with Tighter Controls (increased consolization), Thought-provoking Themes (preachy, cringeworthy, in-your-face writing), and Streamlining (more handholding, more cheat augs, making the hardest difficulty easy enough to give everyone warm feelings).

I wish I'll be proven wrong about the writing at least, because I would have one more game to enjoy then.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How is it the day 1 patch is if it's not day 1 yet :P

Hard to believe there won't be another one.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
How is it the day 1 patch is if it's not day 1 yet :P

Hard to believe there won't be another one.

Well, it's the patch released after the game went gold. It doesn't always have to only become available on release day :P

There could be another yes, although HR was pretty easy to begin with so I'm not really anticipating some great difficulty spike on launch day.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I seriously hope the game isn't too easy and will feel rewarding. I gotta play on hardest difficulty then, and then just not use all the praxis kits I get, in order for it not to feel broken. Eh. Ghetto balance.

DeepOcean

Arcane
One of the few qualities of HR were the fact that ammo was limited, if you can craft easy any ammo you need that is a huge disappointment, the spamming of the invisibility power is another huge disappointment. The idea of they aping Dishonored is very sad, Dishonored didn't have any pretention of having RPG elements, however you expect RPG elements from a Deus Ex game, you can't just say I won't use the overpowered powers because the overpowered powers are part of what is left of the RPG layer of the game that already were dumb down on HR. Mankind Divided is looking more and more like Deus Effect.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
One of the few qualities of HR were the fact that ammo was limited, if you can craft easy any ammo you need that is a huge disappointment, the spamming of the invisibility power is another huge disappointment. The idea of they aping Dishonored is very sad, Dishonored didn't have any pretention of having RPG elements, however you expect RPG elements from a Deus Ex game, you can't just say I won't use the overpowered powers because the overpowered powers are part of what is left of the RPG layer of the game that already were dumb down on HR. Mankind Divided is looking more and more like Deus Effect.

Spamming invisibility is very viable in HR, though. A good solution would be to have some enemies and/or security sensors to counter the invisibility in various encounters, and more generally to have enemy soldiers react more realistically to the non-visual cues while invisible so that it simply wasn't as powerful in many encounters. As opposed to in HR where it's like, oh you can turn invisible, for 3 seconds per energy cell! But it's still arguably too powerful in that game even with such brief durations, since the AI doesn't cope with it very well and it's so uncommon that you have to expose yourself to their line of site for more than a couple of seconds since cover is plentiful.

Ash

Arcane
"3 seconds per energy cell"

Fully upgraded it's more something like 7 seconds. More than enough time to run past the challenge at hand be it walking through laser triggers, running past other security systems like bots, cameras and turrets, or just running past the enemy horde. Combined with all the candy bars in the game you can boost the time you have if need be. Additionally, since it regenerates it essentially obsoletes silent running as an aug (and every other stealth aug at that), as long term energy conservation is not a concern so why make footsteps silent when I can just turn fucking invisible?

"A good solution would be to have some enemies and/or security sensors to counter the invisibility in various encounters"

Or just have energy not regenerate on higher difficulties, or not at all as in DX1. Or cloak only works vs organics and a separate aug is needed for mechanical threats, but you can only choose 1 or the other, again as in DX1. Or some augs drain energy permanently. But yeah, your solution would be better than nothing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I can't believe you missed the chance to be the first person in this thread to call it Deushonored. :cool:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Spamming invisibility is very viable in HR, though.
Yes and no. As soon as you hit the stealth button, you couldn't use stealth takedowns as regeneration only covered the first battery slot besides, you needed to wait for the regeneration time that didn't refill your whole bar. You could use invisibility, hop to a cover, wait for it to regenerate then run to another cover but that isn't terribly more efficient than just paying attention to the patrol routes and use takedowns, invisiblity is only really useful at the start as an "Oh, Shit!" button. HR isn't exactly a hard game as there are too few enemies and easy to find stealth routes everywhere anyway.

Later in the game you get overpowered stealth but: 1) There are other augs competing for praxis points like hacking and more inventory space. 2) You needed to waste praxis points on more battery if you really want to break stealth. 3) You consumed candy bars like crazy (the basic candy bar only regenerated one battery slot and the advanced versions only show up later on the game), this especially true if you wanna explore and isn't trying to win the speed running record. 4)Candy bar boxes occupied two inventory slots and nutrient jars occupied fucking four and if you are having fun experimenting with stuff on you first run, your inventory won't be exactly empty.

Invisibility was powerful but the downsides of having to care about candy and battery, missing early hacking, heavy object lifting, improved jumping and more inventory space for stealth made it annoying enough to get that there was a reason to live without it.

The way they are doing things, stealth will be something like Crysis where there isn't a reason to not use it all the time.

DeepOcean

Arcane

I can't believe you missed the chance to be the first person in this thread to call it Deushonored. :cool:
Fuck, Infinitron you stole my glory.:lol:

Modron

Arcane
Everyone loved micro-payment subsidized crafiting in Deadspace 3 right?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

I took that shot from the stream, so it's definitely not fake. And I don't think their multiplayer mode uses local save games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

I took that shot from the stream, so it's definitely not fake. And I don't think their multiplayer mode uses local save games.

It's not multiplayer, it's a single player challenge mode with a shared online leaderboard or something like that.

Perhaps the two modes share a UI but there's not actually anything to buy with real money in the regular game? This is too weird.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
Spamming invisibility is very viable in HR, though.
Yes and no. As soon as you hit the stealth button, you couldn't use stealth takedowns as regeneration only covered the first battery slot besides, you needed to wait for the regeneration time that didn't refill your whole bar. You could use invisibility, hop to a cover, wait for it to regenerate then run to another cover but that isn't terribly more efficient than just paying attention to the patrol routes and use takedowns, invisiblity is only really useful at the start as an "Oh, Shit!" button. HR isn't exactly a hard game as there are too few enemies and easy to find stealth routes everywhere anyway.

Later in the game you get overpowered stealth but: 1) There are other augs competing for praxis points like hacking and more inventory space. 2) You needed to waste praxis points on more battery if you really want to break stealth. 3) You consumed candy bars like crazy (the basic candy bar only regenerated one battery slot and the advanced versions only show up later on the game), this especially true if you wanna explore and isn't trying to win the speed running record. 4)Candy bar boxes occupied two inventory slots and nutrient jars occupied fucking four and if you are having fun experimenting with stuff on you first run, your inventory won't be exactly empty.

Invisibility was powerful but the downsides of having to care about candy and battery, missing early hacking, heavy object lifting, improved jumping and more inventory space for stealth made it annoying enough to get that there was a reason to live without it.

The way they are doing things, stealth will be something like Crysis where there isn't a reason to not use it all the time.

It's not necessarily later in the game that you get the OP stealth, you can get it quite early. You need 4 praxis points for the stealth tree then a couple of points to increase recharge rate. If you're playing the Director's Cut on any difficulty lower than hard, it becomes worse because you regen two energy cells instead of one. That's pretty generous quantities of stealth that you can have long before you leave Detroit for the first time, even while grabbing something like Casie aug.

Competing for other augs is presumably true here too, where there are more augs overall. I guess I'm mainly just saying that without playing the game in context it's hard to say whether they've "ruined" the balance, because there are a lot of soft factors that could mitigate increased cloak time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom