Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera announced for PS4 and Xbox One, gets new trailer

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I just wonder - Deus Ex from 2000 had working mirrors.
Then some cataclysm happened, no one know why but working mirrors turned out to be "long forgotten knowledge of precursors".

I can't remember the last time I saw a working mirror in a videogame.

Doom 3

We are at RPGCodex here. Doom 3 doesn't counts, like Mass Deffect.

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Haha GiantBomb actually has a list: http://www.giantbomb.com/functional-mirrors/3015-4618/

EDIT: Mass Effect 2? Really?

They listed Kings Quest IV but not Ultima 5?? Modern journalism... :argh:

Regarding the announcement, I can't say I'm too surprised. The kickstarter update makes all the right noises but who knows whether they've really had it in mind since the beginning or not, and whether they've had to make compromises?

I am ill and thus am grumpy, so :decline:. Still looking forward to it, though!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Causals are talking:

I've heard great things about games like Wasteland and Divinity: Original Sin on consoles. A friend of mine, who has always been a PC gamer and heavily into CRPGs, even said that he couldn't imagine playing Divinity on PC now.

This is awesome news, I tweeted Fargo a few months back about a console version (my Mac probably couldn't run it).

Excellent news, for an even bigger audience though I still plan on PC version coz of K/M input with this kind of game is far preferable for me. That said I mainly play PC games with controller where it doesn't really required mouse.

Would like to play this on iOS or Android.

Awesome news as I only console game
I bought Wasteland 2 at launch but have yet to play it. I will be buying this straight away on PS4 for sure.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wish they hadn't made a statement. I have to be mad now.

I don't hate inXile or anything but I expected they would at least delay the console release six months to maintain the illusion of it being a port -- out of respect to the pitch they made to PC backers on KickStarter.

Since EA levels of honesty has become their new PR standard they can go with EA into the bargain bin.

That's not to say I agree with the haters that Torment is going to be a bad game (I hope it will at least be as good as Shadowrun: Dragonfall), but it definitely didn't embrace PC game design to its full potential.

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
tumblr_mda91vsBEg1qghl49o1_r1_500.gif

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

One good thing to come out of the first wave of nostalgia-driven kickstarters is that I've learned never to believe a pitch by an existing company again. I may still back them but I'll keep my expectations and pledges low.

Of course, the lovely Whalenaughts are notable exceptions.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
That impression turned out to be mistaken - VGChartz just took a while to get the sales data. They didn't sell a whole lot but it was a decent percentage of the PC sales.

VGChartz doesn't deal in actual sales data, my friend. Actual (though only comparative) sales data, like what NPD publishes for NA retail, or the Top Sellers on PSN Sony publishes for each month, didn't even have either of these show up in the Top10/20/whatever. Hence, sold like shit.

And even if they did sell, say, 100k in total across PS4/XB1, I'm skeptical as to just how profitable that is, given the overheads of releasing a retail game for consoles in particular.

Causals are talking:

The NeoGAF thread about this had people talking about how they'd like to play PST on their phones. The depths of casual stupidity really do boggle the mind sometimes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That impression turned out to be mistaken - VGChartz just took a while to get the sales data. They didn't sell a whole lot but it was a decent percentage of the PC sales.

VGChartz doesn't deal in actual sales data, my friend. Actual (though only comparative) sales data, like what NPD publishes for NA retail, or the Top Sellers on PSN Sony publishes for each month, didn't even have either of these show up in the Top10/20/whatever. Hence, sold like shit.

And even if they did sell, say, 100k in total across PS4/XB1, I'm skeptical as to just how profitable that is, given the overheads of releasing a retail game for consoles in particular.

It might depend on one's definition of "shit". I know D:OS for consoles had a large team working on it for a long time, but Wasteland 2 Director's Cut was made by a skeleton crew of less than 5 people. Maybe they didn't need to sell much.

Another possibility is that they've suckered the publisher into paying the bill. +M

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, this was an unfortunate turn of events. 2012/2013 seem like a decade ago.

In b4 Obsidian decides to paste Tyranny mechanics into the next Pillars game: four companions and console/PC dual release.

Nobody worry. There will be an interactive comic to ensure the new console players can make all the choices that carry over into the sequel.

Your choices matter. :)

EDIT:

Basic logic here is that I thought inXile would at least finish out their hand on PC game development before transitioning to dual releases like Wasteland: New Vegas. Since they're jumping ship right in the middle of things I don't have a lot of confidence that the next Pillars game won't parse the mechanics down into to a Dragon Age: Origins level.

In fairness, Obsidian could still try to finish out their duology or trilogy on the same terms the developed the original, but if I was a stockbroker, I'd say Tyranny will be unto Pillars as Mass Effect 2 was unto Dragon Age -- and what we got out of that was Dragon Age II.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
Unfortunately, those nice looking "starting and stopping" animations when running makes movement feel really slow and "syrup-y". I mean, it doesn't really affect things gameplay-wise but it's like my number one complaint about the beta. I can't stand how the movement feels.

Maybe it will right at home with a controller though.
:rpgcodex:

Latelistener

Arcane
Inxile is literally wasting its resources. Console gamers aren't interested in this kind of games. Even the JPRG genre died out on consoles.
The only games they care and hyped about nowadays are best described as popamole.

Gremius

Augur
but I expected they would at least delay the console release six months to maintain the illusion of it being a port

Are you joking? Current situation with Torment is miles better. Wasteland 2 made me fell like a sucker who bought the game and was beta testing it for console players who got final product.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
And now you will be feeling like beta testing a console game, because it was made with consoles in mind. LOL Enjoy your PS4 game. I bet that Blaine must be super happy with this announcement. I think he gave them one thousand bucks on kickstarter. :lol::lol::lol:

Fairfax

Arcane
but I expected they would at least delay the console release six months to maintain the illusion of it being a port

Are you joking? Current situation with Torment is miles better. Wasteland 2 made me fell like a sucker who bought the game and was beta testing it for console players who got final product.
Doesn't really justify getting the game 25-27 months after the initial released date.
Meanwhile, Larian is making a full sequel to their (better and much more successful) Kickstarter game in 29.

Last edited:

Let's review.

Torment acquired characteristics of a CINO (cRPG in name only) like a year ago when it announced a design parameter of 4-man party when Torment tradition would suggest a 6 person squad and the other inXile RPG could have a team of 7. After that announcement, a brief period of PC exclusivity was really just formality to preserve the illusion this was indeed a cRPG and that console versions were ports that's interfaces and finer details had to be reasoned out later.

Now with a dual release, there isn't even any formality. This isn't a cRPG, anymore than the first Xcom remake was a cRPG or Kotor was a cRPG or Dragon Age: Origins was a cRPG.

Now, that being said, Torment could be 50,000 times funner to play than Wasteland 2 ever was. The overall production and release of the game could be 50,000 better than the overall production and release of Wasteland 2.

Doesn't change the conclusion of that review at all. This is not a sincere attempt to release a cRPG when a cRPG was pitched in the KickStarter.

Neanderthal

Arcane
You know one day somebody who i've gid money to is not gonna be a lying sack o shit an i'll die o fuckin shock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom