Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #7: Companion Overview - Verse

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
This isn't even "writing", it's a character description probably hacked together in an hour. Check out Paul Kirsch's short stories for a more representative sample: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...bsidians-next-rpg.104738/page-67#post-4627883

I don't remember the topic about Barik being that bad :o . Granted, it didn't have audio when it first came out, but still.

There was more stuff to talk about then. :P Quiet summer.
I'm not judging his ability to put text together, just the stupid premise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing that came to my mind after reading two fanciful character premises (you know, in the same style as, say, "villain who has been chopped to bits and holds himself together only through the power of his own rage and magic the Force") in a row is that maybe they're indicative of an early Avellone influence on this game.

Sannom

Augur
The thing that came to my mind when reading two fanciful character premises (you know, in the same style as, say, "villain who has been chopped to bits and holds himself together only through the power of his own rage and magic the Force") in a row is that maybe they're indicative of an early Avellone influence on this game.
That, plus the two-ended reputation system with your companions and the factions. That's the gameplay staple of every Chris Avellone game, from infancy in Planescape : Torment to its more integrated form in Alpha Protocol.

And yeah, those two aren't Sawyer-style companions. No farm hands and low-level members of a Paladin order here! They're SPECIALS! Gimmicky, one might say?

DeepOcean

Arcane
The silly premise isn't the problem, it is that I don't see on those updates anything remarkable, sure, those characters could be amazing but I only have PoE as expectation for the writing on this game and the chance of it being stock fantasy with a slight marketing trap twist is pretty high.

Fairfax

Arcane
The thing that came to my mind after reading two fanciful character premises (you know, in the same style as, say, "villain who has been chopped to bits and holds himself together only through the power of his own rage and magic the Force") in a row is that maybe they're indicative of an early Avellone influence on this game.
Confirmation bias, I'd say.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I like these companion updates. They're like an experiment in how much spontaneous griping the Codex can generate over something completely harmless and non-noteworthy.

shit writing is harmless insofar as all writing is harmless. To combat fags.

and lol @ this not being writing. A shit writer doesn't produce anything worthwhile no matter how much time you give him, and a good writer will not produce shit no matter the time constraints. He'll just be brief.

Wonder what Jack from Mass Effect is doing in Obsidian's new game.
At least Jack hasn't killed any farm animals for the sake of edginess. If Obsidian would've just added wetting the bed to Verse's bio, we would've gotten textbook serial killer behaviour, only mixed up with some teenage wish-fulfilling shit.

Mozg

Arcane
I kinda like the concept where you're more of a party master than a leader and all your party NPCs are Tolkien-goblin-like subhumans that would start hanging cats if left to their own devices and you have to constantly terrorize them into obedience.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
who the fuck writes this

The more important question is who falls for this. Answer is: the critically acclaiming people, obviously.

I like these companion updates. They're like an experiment in how much spontaneous griping the Codex can generate over something completely harmless and non-noteworthy.

:butthurt:

Here we go again: Nothing is "noteworthy", nothing actually matters. Game will be best game regardless of anything.

Oh wow, this game is sounding more modern by the minute. All you regressive degenerates enjoy your pre-modern Pac-Man RPGs or whatever it is you like to call an "RPG" a this point. Here, have a flint stone.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Here we go again: Nothing is "noteworthy", nothing actually matters. Game will be best game regardless of anything.
Yep.

"I'm an edgy girl that is an awesome ambitious warrior that likes to rise on the ranks and like to kill dudes and farm animals and have a red mohawk, see I love killing dudes and learn the abilities of others by magic on minutes of seeing them. I have a sort of shitty explained animu power. " This is so fucking stock fantasy that could fit from DnD to fucking He-Man.

Sure, someone could claim: " DeepOcean, it looks like a chicken, it walks like a chicken, it lay eggs like a chicken and it has feathers like a chicken and even tastes like a chicken but it isn't a chicken." Maybe after this point the burden of the proof is in him.

Alex

Arcane
I kinda like the concept where you're more of a party master than a leader and all your party NPCs are Tolkien-goblin-like subhumans that would start hanging cats if left to their own devices and you have to constantly terrorize them into obedience.

You know, I think I would be a lot more forgiving with what I've heard about this game if the game art looked anything like this.

Zanzoken

Arcane
They really do want to be Bioware don't they. If Verse was transgendered then this could be straight out of Dragon Age 4.

Ninjerk

Arcane
They really do want to be Bioware don't they. If Verse was transgendered then this could be straight out of Dragon Age 4.
You realize the youngins they're hiring at this point very likely think KotOR and DA:O are oldskool/hardxcore games, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom