Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, fuck. Campbell. Oh, fuck. Terry Pratchett. Oh, fuck. Stephen King. This is gonna be bad. Also a lot of Russian/Russian-themed literature. That's weird.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Oh, fuck. Campbell. Oh, fuck. Terry Pratchett. Oh, fuck. Stephen King. This is gonna be bad. Also a lot of Russian/Russian-themed literature. That's weird.
Holy shit we got an art snob over here. How big of a stick do you have to have up your ass to hate on Pratchett? Not everything has to be a revolutionary masterpiece to be an entertaining piece of writing. If D:OS2 kept the mechanics of the first game mostly in tact and read like a Pratchett novel, it would be a great game.

Fry

Arcane
Let's face it, any third rate novel is better than 85% of video game stories.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Holy shit we got an art snob over here. How big of a stick do you have to have up your ass to hate on Pratchett? Not everything has to be a revolutionary masterpiece to be an entertaining piece of writing. If D:OS2 kept the mechanics of the first game mostly in tact and read like a Pratchett novel, it would be a great game.

Not snobbery, he just became very banal at this point. Everyone is citing him for "inspiration", It's like citing Tolkien. I don't hate him at all, nor Tolkien. Not to mention that we have a bajillion games based on him (and Tolkien) already. Campbell is the biggest offender in the whole list tbh.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's face it, any third rate novel is better than 85% of video game stories.
So? Most games do not rely on stories, whereas there's nothing else in a novel than a story.

But 85% of games are complete turds anyway (and I'm not just talking about what codex likes, most games are just objectively shit and you don't even hear about them0. Replace it with 95% and you might be be on something, then, again, games usually do not rely on stories. There is only a very limited amount of games that are about stories and it matters in them (Adventures and RPGs).

If you just meant RPGs, then yeah, I can agree to that. Unfortunately there are few skilled writers working on games, probably because good writers don't need to shill for a company which tells them what and how to write, but instead write books or whatever by themselves. There are some unique games where story is quite exceptional, but so very few of them and usually it turns out they are some kind of a genius struck to a guy who loses it afterwards and goes back to being an average writer.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Say what you want about Tom Marks, but his unyielding commitment to the bow tie/dress shirt/multi-colored hoodie combo makes him one of the few game journalists I can actually remember.

Zeriel

Arcane

It's the go-to for pretentious writers who want to look "sophisticated".

At least the guy who threw in "Writing for Children" was honest about his RPG aspirations.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The problem is that everyone keeps reading popular literature and being "inspired by" it. That means they can't have an original thought because everyone is doing that and it's just going to be derivative, like everything else.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
December 2016 is the projected delivery date for the Kickstarter.

SniperHF

Arcane
Also this is around the time their entire Belgium office takes vacation for like 3 weeks.

norolim

Arcane
I don't keep an archive of these things. Search "kevin vanord sjw" in google. There should be plenty.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't have any expectations about the writing of this game. I know it's not going to be a serious attempt at narrative and it's going to be full of trivial chit-chat that nobody cares about. Them being "SJWs" will hardly matter.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Why do they need so many writers? Older games had loads of text with half of the writers they have already hired.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom