Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So. Jade Empire.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It could've been good, but the action-y combat is just way too slow and too easy.

Still, it's entertaining enough in that trademark Bioware B-movie way. Fwiw I'd rather (re)play JE than KOTOR or ME1, but I believe those two are extremely boring; your mileage may vary since you say you have terrible taste liked KOTOR.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
There is also a M/M romance option, if I am remembering correctly. :shittydog:

"Sky" something with a spear, although technically I think he was bi Zevran/Kaiden style so the 10% of girl gamers could have a romance option too.

Silk Fox was also bi so the 80% of male gamers who play as females could have the lesbian relationship they always wanted.

Mozg

Arcane
I tried to play it for the first time this year and it was so boring I felt like I had sleep paralysis. The action gameplay is beneath contempt.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I tried to play it for the first time this year and it was so boring I felt like I had sleep paralysis. The action gameplay is beneath contempt.

Well it does stat slow. My suggestion for you is to start gain with a female protagonist and aim for the lesbian relationship with Silk Fox. :dance:

Although to be fair the romances in the game are minimal. Certainly less than BG2 or any later bio game.

Oh, any particular reason this one seems to have gone under the radar in the context of Bioware RPGs? Because AZNS?

Maybe because it was an Xbox only game at first. And because AZNs.

So were KoToR and ME.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Like others have said it's ok. Quintessentially "just ok". FWIW I disliked KOTOR1 but found this better, it's pretty much a proto-ME1 in Chinadisneyland, and better than KOTOR1 in most ways. As CB said combat is too easy but since it doesn't pretend to be RTWP anymore I found it less boring than KOTOR's. Setting is super-cliche, it's every possible Chinaland cliche you can imagine all mixed together, but if that doesn't bother you it can be fun. Aside from a bit of openness in the city the game is completely linear, even moreso than usual for Bioware.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Two months apart on console actually, and IIRC around 6 months in America.

Coma White

Educated
I haven't played this game in years -- since it was released. I remember it being an absolute slog to get through. God only knows how I'd feel about it NOW.

Jinn

Arcane
I haven't played this game in years -- since it was released. I remember it being an absolute slog to get through. God only knows how I'd feel about it NOW

Yup. Thank fuck it was a very short game.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's not even good for what it is.

I can replay KOTOR1. Its story is simple but memorable enough. Its gameplay is easy but not too easy.
I cant even bother to restart Jade Empire. Its story is simple but not memorable. Its gameplay is not too easy but nothing special.
Honestly, if you want exotic setting, restart Witcher 1. It's waaaaay better than this. IF you are Asians ever live in the Chinese cultural influence area, it's too cliche and done much before in novels and films.

Jinn

Arcane
Bioware took an amazing opportunity to make a kung-fu RPG and they fucked their shit all up. It was the ultimate signal for things to come.

Telengard

Arcane
Oh, any particular reason this one seems to have gone under the radar in the context of Bioware RPGs? Because AZNS?
Normally any outside-the-box rpg idea would have been nixed by the money men before it even got a full showing at the pitch meeting. However, the game got greenlit in the wake of the stunning success of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - it was simply a time when everyone was ape-shit over mystic kung fu drama. Unfortunately for Bioware - and as many of the game reviews stressed at the time of release - Bioware missed the kung fu fad window, and the kung fu kraze was already years over when their game finally came out.

And without the kung fu kraze to fuel interest, the lack of the usual lightsabers, Middle Earth, and/or drow meant ho-hum interest from Western audiences. Because Western audiences know what they like.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Normally any outside-the-box rpg idea would have been nixed by the money men before it even got a full showing at the pitch meeting. However, the game got greenlit in the wake of the stunning success of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - it was simply a time when everyone was ape-shit over mystic kung fu drama. Unfortunately for Bioware - and as many of the game reviews stressed at the time of release - Bioware missed the kung fu fad window, and the kung fu kraze was already years over when their game finally came out.

And without the kung fu kraze to fuel interest, the lack of the usual lightsabers, Middle Earth, and/or drow meant ho-hum interest from Western audiences. Because Western audiences know what they like.
And when it comes to kung fu, Western audiences know they like that one series where the plot at the start of everything is just shamelessly ripped off from Enter the Dragon.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good atmosphere, that game. The exotic setting was something different for once, I'd appreciate it if they made another one in it (then again, I am kinda done with BW at this point). I didn't mind the combat, I remember it to be a pretty fluid beat em up. I hardly consider in an RPG though, it was just too shallow, more like an action adventure. I remember it to be unusually talkative even for Bioware standards, the usual shtick with companions you could chat up and they tell you their life's story bore me out of my mind in this one. The whole plot wasn't anything to write home about really.

The main theme was great:

I'd say play it if you think you might enjoy the setting and don't mind the action oriented combat.

Palomides

Augur
shit american orientalist rubbish, riding on the waves in the 2000s for all things chink

horrid

This game is the epitome of missed opportunities. the combat is horrible, boring, and easy. The characters equally boring and forgettable, and the level design seems narrower than KOTOR. The intro of the game starts of great, and gives the player the feeling that they are about to embark in a world never seen in an RPG, but then you just get everything bad about KOTOR and none of the good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"if you want exotic setting, restart Witcher 1."

There is NOTHING exotic about Twitcher. It is pure typical fantasys etting. FUCK OFF.

That wouldn't be a problem... but, it also sucks big time.

As for JE, hugely underrated and better than KOTOR. BY FAR.

Lerk

Learned
It could've been good, but the action-y combat is just way too slow and too easy.

Still, it's entertaining enough in that trademark Bioware B-movie way. Fwiw I'd rather (re)play JE than KOTOR or ME1, but I believe those two are extremely boring; your mileage may vary since you say you have terrible taste liked KOTOR.

What can I say, I'm a Star Wars fan. And Bioware did a better job at the time of telling an appropriate Star Wars story than Lucas managed with the prequels, so...

Anyway. Jade Empire. I'm enjoying it. I'm surprised by how arcadey it is, not that this is a bad thing in itself. Due to its XBOX heritage perhaps? Graphics hold up surprisingly well after all this time, VA is great, atmosphere is spot on; sure it's Pseudo-Mystical AZN stereotypical fantasy but it's done with conviction. Takes me back to AD&D Oriental Adventures type of feel.

I'm playing the magic user monk dude, max difficulty, trying to be as manipulative and evul as the game will allow, though Bioware so I'm not holding my breath on the C&C front. I just unlocked Jade Golem style and it seems to have become easy mode, combat wise (not that it was hard but eh). Still, story will keep me playing. I'm glad I found out this existed, it's one of their better efforts IMO. Worth a trip on the seven seas if you've not played it and are curious, definitely.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
While not all mechanics were perfect, Jade Empire is still a fun game. Some of the quests tell very good and very touching stories and the story is quite good, even if it uses known tropes from old eastern. But the game seems to see itself as an hommage to this genre, so you could give it a pass for that. The romances aren't special, but the other companions are still interesting and fun and I like the idea behind the combat. It would have been nice to see some improvements in a sequel, but since we will never get one, this has to be enough. Quite sad, especially since this kind of game was more Biowares cup of tea than games like Baldurs Gate 2 or Dragon Age: Origins in my opinion.

Trotsky

Arcane
Just realized I don't remember any of the characters' names.

....Hen Pecked Hu.

And uh, some little girl possessed by demons....

The two best characters in the game one for support/comedy and the other for tanking/morality.

I really liked the evil path with the latter and her name was Wild Flower. Very unique characters.

Jade Empire wasn't a commercial success despite being a good game with a great setting. I'm glad it worked out that way unlike other Bioware games its legacy remains intact.

I like Jade Empire but it has terrible replay value. The game is extremely linear, lacks customization like new costumes/armor, and has bad pacing. Those other games are better.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom