Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Archmage Rises, a mage simulator sandbox RPG, now on Steam Greenlight

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Archmage Rises; Defiance Game Studio

Archmage Rises is a slick-looking and unique RPG by Thomas Henshell of Defiance Game Studio that has been quietly in development since early 2014, but which only came to our full attention yesterday. Taking influence from titles such as Dwarf Fortress, Sid Meier's Pirates! and FTL, as well as the various editions of Dungeons & Dragons, the game takes place in an exhaustively detailed sandbox fantasy world in which you take the role of a renegade mage who must seek his fortune. In order to achieve that Dwarf Fortress level of complexity, Archmage Rising's gameplay is primarily menu-based, with 2D artwork and a blobber-like turn-based combat system. The official website promises an experience akin to being "Rastlin, Pug, Merlin, or Gandalf", but after watching the game's Steam Greenlight trailer, the first thing that came to my mind was "Rance". See for yourself:

Yes, yes, I think the Codex might end up enjoying this game. The website has lots of details about it, and if you'd like to see more, there are a whole bunch of gameplay videos on its YouTube channel. Archmage Rises will be available for preorder starting from August 4th, and is scheduled for release in Q1 2017. If you're interested, be sure to vote for it on Steam Greenlight.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Well in Archmage Rises, you get no experience for combat.
You also don't get any loot from combat.

What do you get for winning a victory?
You get to keep living! You get to continue your story!

By moving the power curve off of combat, suddenly it makes for A NO GRINDING RPG.
The player can gain power through NPCs interaction, quests, crafting, and solving world problems.

So combat is MUCH less frequent in Archmage Rises than in other games. This has forced us, in a good way, to come up with tons of interesting things to do besides combat.

Do not read this to mean combat isn't a core feature or fun! We've poured a ton of time into making it strategic, thoughtful, fast, and entertaining.

But you can win the game without a single battle.

That, to me, is an interesting proposition in an RPG.

daveyd

Savant
I hope it's possible to contract gonorrhea or syphilis. Then you'll have to use your alchemy skills to concoct a cure.

set

Cipher
The hex overworld map looks incredibly cheaply done, like $20 unity store assets. Battle for Wesnoth looks gorgeous in comparison.
I nearly thought this was a parody on Greenlight games, Unity games, or the state of RPGs in general, when I saw the "works best on alienware" logo at the end. (Similar to Barkley's NVIDIA joke)
It honestly looks like a game meant for a phone. A funny tone definitely can't redeem it for me.

daveyd

Savant
If nothing else, I feel like the developer's heart is in the right place; he wants to capture the spirit of a tabletop role-playing game. However, I remain very skeptical about the procedural generated content. I've never seen this done well, but then I generally don't play rougelikes. I'm anticipating a lot of bland, generic quests or possibly some nonsensical mad-libs stuff. I'd rather have a short RPG with complex handcrafted quests than a game with theoretically infinite replay opportunities that in practice feel repetitive and unmemorable. But I hope I'm wrong and will definitely try the demo (assuming I don't have to pay for it).

epeli

Arcane
Looks like an attempt to distill the essence of dwarf fortress into a flash/mobile game. Who knows, maybe the game is mechanically solid but just suffers from poor presentation.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Zorba the Hutt
weasel.gif

SuperSonicGd

Literate
I will have to show this to a friend who keeps trying to get me to download Wurm Unlimited. This looks like it has many of the same components but more action oriented. I like the potential of randomly generated missions, NPCs, and even the entire world. Which Wurm does do that but is very resource and crafting based with no real goal.

So basically what I'm saying is this looks like it'll be Wurm but better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom