Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Virgin Run

Ivan

Arcane
second guessing my recent level up. is Blitz worth 10 Agility? it sounds great, esp. if I can couple it w/sprint. I've been dumping everything into Dex for the AP. Curious to know if I should be pumping Agi for that feat. But that' going to be 8 more level ups from now...

actually it doesnt sound that useful anymore at all. sprint = 30 mp converted to 10 ap, may be just enough for one attack. meh

also, what should I do against energy shielded enemies? my knife only bypasses 60% of it. I can handle a pair, but a group is a problem.

last thing, is it just me or are room exits harder and harder to discern as the game goes on. if it weren't for the hover icon I would think some were dead ends

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure re melee perks, but I basically always use EMP grenades on shielded guys.

One playthrough I had a crafted sniper which did 1000+ damage and could punch through energy shields like paper, but for the most part EMP grenades will be your best bet.

Yeah, some of the caves definitely look like dead ends when they aren't. Just start hovering over anything that could possibly be a zone exit.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Blitz is probably better for unarmed combat, where 20ap is a lot of hits. 8 agi for uncanny dodge is a must imo. Pumping agi a bit isn't bad, it has synergies with useful skills for a melee sneak-assassin char and it gives more move points.

Gloves bypass 80% of the shield. Use nets to immobilize melee opponents.

epeli

Arcane
Yeah, some of the caves definitely look like dead ends when they aren't. Just start hovering over anything that could possibly be a zone exit.

Yeah, unfortunately. That's one pit of decline Underrail fell into: improving graphics at the cost of gameplay. I don't believe making some of the cave exits harder to recognize made the exploration any better, but it's hard for me to say for sure. I got used to all the area layouts with the alpha cave tilesets, which had clear zone transitions. There was always an obvious open-ended tunnel and in most cases you could also see the exit grid clearly.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Fuck, so now I'm considering redoing my character since I'm getting murdered in Depot A nonstop. This is my shitty loadout thus far: Rerolling with crafting in mind. Will report progress.

Depot A is very tough on melee characters because of those mutant blobs. Seeing as you're going crafting, a good idea is to make a suit of mutated dog leather armour. It gives acid resist vs. the blobs. YOu'll need a little chemistry to use it.

Also consider hunting siphoners outside the entrance to junkyard, then west and north iirc. They can give you hides to make dodge/evasion armor.

Ivan

Arcane
the game has clicked with me. I love the guerrilla tactics I have to use to survive as a knife build. caltrops work wonders against well sheltered enemies, I love using my kick ability when the net has been used, I've crafted a Taser for a third back-up. I was exploring around Rail Crossing and had a great encounter with this Steve Peres dude who was using a unique gun.

CB471DAB9613C3F54F0E7BC54630479771E41D4C

I haven't tried guns at all but would very much like to. Now I'm level 11 or so and at Core City wondering how much i should pump into Crafting skills.

Also, would you guys say this is more of a game about starting new builds and abandoning them around LV 12 to try new ones, or is the latter half of the game just as good?

Also, how further into the game should I be finding better ingredients, while I have been pumping crafting skills I haven't been able to make anything SUPER. Well, I have found a Blu Regenerating Vest, but IDK where it can be used.
6740F2FCAD86BF3FA4D5752B1C31968F5DCF6859
Furthermore, will I be finding Blu/Purple variants of crafting blueprints (knives, shield, leather armor) or do the components themselves changer in rarity, or is it just all about Quality#

Loving the game now. It's p. brutal but it respects player intelligence and forces you to optimize what skills and items you have.

Last edited:

epeli

Arcane
Glad the good parts found you. Rerolling is fun when you've got plenty of fresh character ideas you want to try and most characters get all their core feats and equipment by level 12-14.

But the latter half of the game is just as good as the first... Except the very endgame in Deep Caverns. Many players found it worse than 50 hitlers at the time of release, but the major issues were patched months ago.

Snufkin

Augur
Regenerative vest is very good on psi char. On knifer you want use infused rathound leather for extra crit chance, but it is long way until you will be get those. Until then you should use ancient rathound leather armor/tabi boots or siphoner. As for skills you want to have tailoring well over 100 and so eletronics/mechanics for energy shield and electric knife. Kukri is good but you cant go wrong with tungsten steel electroshock combat knife made from high quality materials.

And about Underrail char builds : yeah there are few classics. But keep on going with your knife build, if you finish game with your own build you get more satisfaction.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
what's a good way to deal with Metal armormed (high Mech def) enemies? spam nades?

Snufkin

Augur
Yes, also Expose weakness feat is essential for meele chars. Poison bear trap is also good if you can pull it.

epeli

Arcane
Cut-throat is the easiest way to get rid of tin cans as it ignores all defenses but it only works against humans, unlike Expose Weakness.

And regarding crafting: one blueprint per type of item. The components change both in rarity and quality. Different components have different effects and their quality determines the strength of the effect. Eg. the regen vest heals X damage per turn depending on quality, whereas an insulated vest would provide X cold resistance. You can use vests with tactical vest, riot gear and metal armor blueprints.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Expose weakness is all you need against heavily armored people as knife man. Eventually you will deal so much damage with crits that it will be just a button to smoke someone extra fast.

Also don't bother with sprint, but make sure to get Fancy Footwork feat eventually. It's a game changer for fast melee characters.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
thanks. I've made my way up the ranks to Cornifex at lv 12 with a 49% to hit. he may be too overleveld for me at this point.

I was thinking of getting Sprint, Blitz, but I'll look into Fancy Footwork. thanks

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Blitz is like a shittier adrenaline shot. Not worth the investment. Maybe for some build with heavy AP costs where it can mean getting one extra attack, but that's not your case.

Sprint is good but fast attackers get way more value out of fancy footwork.

Ivan

Arcane
Excidium II can't you combine the 20 AP from Blitz+20 ap from adrenaline shot?

fuck you can. I think they're both great just gotta prioritize for now.

I think Blitz can be very effective when say you use AP to stun/cast net/kick a tough enemy, replenishing ur ap to finish off an encounter.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
or you can just attack and then use the MP to run and use LoS for the same effect as enemies waste their turn trying to catch up.

Ivan

Arcane
i see what you're saying, but blitz is great when coupled with incapacitated enemies (what's that feat that boosts damage). all in all, good stuff.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's a really terrible feat for knife user, best case scenario you sacrifice all your movement to sneak in 2 or 3 extra attacks once every fight.

The worst part is the 10 Agi requirement. As a knife user you want your dex to be as high as possible, by having 10 Agi you are sacrificing crit chance and more importantly having -1 AP cost on your attacks, which is about as good as having blitz and doesn't cost you a precious feat point.

Snufkin

Augur
Blitz is nice for granade char. Those 20 ap can be used to throw stun granade if things went not way you wanted. Giving you extra turn.

Knife chars should do 3/16+ ells sandwitch/10/3/3/5/6

Ivan

Arcane
fuck this game is so gooooooooooooood. having a total blast now that I have competent gear, grown comfortable with my stats in combat.

i did find it odd how choosing a faction in Core gates other quests. I'm just sticking w/ my first choice (the tech one).

Severian Silk

Crispy should be able to help you judging by the thread title.

Ivan

Arcane
Having a blast. p. much finished w/ Core City, Rail Crossing, Junkyard, the Caves. Just doing Foundry now. This location didn't get as much love as the others.

Has Styg let out any news of any possible dlc expansion? This is awesome. I just really wish they would clean up the exits and add a map. It's p. easy to get lost exploring the caves.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think he said they are making extra content. There are some questlines that end p. abruptly and just beg for more development like gorsky's.

Also fuck off mapfag :rpgcodex:

epeli

Arcane
Oh yeah, they're working on more content.
Styg said:
Announcement comming soon* (probably this month, almost certainly this year, and definitely in my lifetime).

Regarding map, I think it's finally safe to say that it won't happen. It spent years in the "maybe" basket and I'm p. sure there were debug builds with a functional map system, but in the end something didn't work out the way the devs wanted. At least not without redoing a massive number of areas and their connections. It just wasn't meant to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom