Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the most hardcore RPG you've completed

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Daggerfall. I was young and had no idea what is going on. Took me a month just to understand the controls/concept. Some more months later after countless errors, I finished it, probably randomly as I rarely had a real sense of direction in that chaotic huge world.
Also one of my first first-person games too, which didnt help a lot

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna. Only got to the Good ending without a walkthrough, the easiest of the possible three (four?), but it was hard enough. I only stumbled through some puzzles by random chance (including getting out of the very first room :negative:).

Old One

Arcane
I do remember playing enchanter a bunch. Whenever I got frustrated I'd just walk down the road and end it all. Cannot remember if I finished that one but I know I didn't play the sequels.
Enchanter is quite easy except for one slightly hard puzzle. Still, it's really fun, and it introduced the classic Infocom magic system (memorize FROTZ;cast FROTZ) which is still one of my favorites. I fire up Enchanter every now and then out of nostalgia and I still find it enjoyable.

Sorcerer is also fairly easy, which may be why the fans wanted a hard game for the last in the trilogy. The nice thing about Sorcerer is that a lot of it takes place in the G.U.E., which is always exciting. It also adds magic potions as loot.

Spellbreaker is super hard. I would have been 13 when it came out, and spent hours just trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Eventually I gave up, which was rare for 13-year-old me. I finished it several years later, though I never could have done so without consulting the Invisi-clues hint book.

EDIT: I actually got the magic system a bit wrong. Here's how it works. FROTZ is the light spell in the game. Once you have a spell in your spell book, you memorize it (memorize FROTZ) then you use it as a verb. Typing "FROTZ me" makes you glow. Or you can FROTZ brass lantern, or FROTZ bread, or whatever.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I've beaten all the Spiderweb games on torment (not the older exiles, though). Started a solo torment run of Avernum 6 too. Lost interest halfway through, but I should try to complete it (or not, it's very doable, but kind of tedious).

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wizardry 7: I spent 6 months playing it almost daily on 2-3 hour sessions before going to bed and it was very challenging without internet or guides of where to go and managing a very limited inventory with "quest" items which were not labeled as such (I remember the munk blood that was required on the top of the dane tower or the Uumpani bomb) so you had to backtrack and try out all sorts of stuff and since there was no quest tracker or notes if you played and then stopped for a couple of weeks you could forget this or that...plus honestly it was a bit grindy
Still one of my all time favorites

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
ToME, Dins curse and urmom

My mum is a Really Pretty Girl :love:

ToME is nice, but I'm not really sold on the chainsaw orcs expansion. Feels like they rolled the difficulty waaaaay down, which is the wrong way to go. People most likely to pick up the DLC are the ones who can already complete vanilla in their sleep.

Lhynn

Arcane
ToME is nice, but I'm not really sold on the chainsaw orcs expansion. Feels like they rolled the difficulty waaaaay down, which is the wrong way to go. People most likely to pick up the DLC are the ones who can already complete vanilla in their sleep.
I wasnt really interested in the DLC, but its kinda disappointing to hear they made the game easier, ToME is at its best wihen its ruthless.

baturinsky

Arcane
I wasnt really interested in the DLC, but its kinda disappointing to hear they made the game easier, ToME is at its best wihen its ruthless.

Chainsaw DLC is a separate campaign. I don't think you can even use steam classes in vanilla campaign.

Severian Silk

JA2 1.13 is prolly the most hardcore RPG I've played. I haven't played many RPGs older than that, unless you count JRPGs.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Beat Zork. Totally didn't use those highlighter cheat books either. Totally didn't.
I remember going back and in a fit finishing Zork. Didn't do it with a walkthrough, but never finished it because that thief would eventually kill me. Remember on a 300 baud bbs/message board (I shit you not) reading that you could weigh him down.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Beat Zork. Totally didn't use those highlighter cheat books either. Totally didn't.
I remember going back and in a fit finishing Zork. Didn't do it with a walkthrough, but never finished it because that thief would eventually kill me. Remember on a 300 baud bbs/message board (I shit you not) reading that you could weigh him down.

I seem to recall fighting him with the knife rather than the sword or axe made it easier. Also you had to make sure he stole the clockwork egg because he was the only one who could open it.

Damn now I want to play zork again.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Pool of Radiance. I'll never forget the fight with the Ettins at the castle gate, or the kobold dungeon, or the maze, or the graveyard ending ... thanks for ruining my day reminding me how much games suck now.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I do remember playing enchanter a bunch. Whenever I got frustrated I'd just walk down the road and end it all. Cannot remember if I finished that one but I know I didn't play the sequels. I remember we had a bunch of infocom games: the Zorks, Wishstone, A Mind Forever Voyaging, Enchanter, the Pirate one, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The early 80's were a great time to be alive.

That would be Wishbringer and Plundered Hearts, yes?

If you liked Wishbringer then you must try Trinity, my personal Infocom fave, written by Brian Moriarty who went on to do Loom for LucasArts. Very close second would be Stationfall by Steve 'A Mind Forever Voyaging' Meretsky. I was much more a fan of Sci-fi than fantasy at the time. Also Starcross, apart from the ending.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I do remember playing enchanter a bunch. Whenever I got frustrated I'd just walk down the road and end it all. Cannot remember if I finished that one but I know I didn't play the sequels. I remember we had a bunch of infocom games: the Zorks, Wishstone, A Mind Forever Voyaging, Enchanter, the Pirate one, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The early 80's were a great time to be alive.

That would be Wishbringer and Plundered Hearts, yes?

If you liked Wishbringer then you must try Trinity, my personal Infocom fave, written by Brian Moriarty who went on to do Loom for LucasArts. Very close second would be Stationfall by Steve 'A Mind Forever Voyaging' Meretsky. I was much more a fan of Sci-fi than fantasy at the time. Also Starcross, apart from the ending.

Yeah it was Whishbringer. I was looking back on the infocom games and I don't think Plundered Hearts was the pirate game I was thinking about. It came out after I had moved on from text games. By 1985 games like Ultima 3/4 and KQ2 had my attention and I really didn't look back. (except for Beyond Zork).

I remember looking at Trinity in the game store but never buying it. 12 year old Paco had limited resources and like I said by 1985/86 I was buying games with actual graphics.

Also for some reason I thought I had the Infocom Collection at GOG but its only the Zork games. Where do you get all of them these days?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Yeah it was Whishbringer. I was looking back on the infocom games and I don't think Plundered Hearts was the pirate game I was thinking about. It came out after I had moved on from text games.

Might have been Shogun - at least you start out in a ship, although you're not technically a pirate.

Also for some reason I thought I had the Infocom Collection at GOG but its only the Zork games. Where do you get all of them these days?

Since I bought the originals and the collections a couple of times I feel free to grab them from abandonware sites. I think The Digital Antiquarian may have some, but I'm not sure if they're available from anywhere legitimate at the moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom