Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best PC game ever via Metacritic is...

Perkel

Arcane
:ehue: only 3rd place in codex goty though behind game of universe aka Age of Decadence.

6zrsbLS.jpg

---

Arcane
Didn't expect to see Deus Ex and Fallout 2 so high up on that list.
They have few reviews, compared to other games (~20 reviews Deus Ex, while The Witcher 3 ~60), that's the reason why the final rating is so high:M

EDIT: Fuck, never mind, those are users' scores, not "professional" ones :oops:

pippin

Didn't expect to see Deus Ex and Fallout 2 so high up on that list.

The power of memes and e-cred. People like to pretend to have played Deus Ex because it's what the cool kids say. Also you have the Human Revolution connection. Same goes to System Shock 2 and the Bioshock games.
FO1 should be higher than 2, but it doesn't even appear. Do note that HL2 E1 isn't there as well...

Perkel

Arcane
Also notice how none of those games aside from TW3 are from 2010+
Fallout 1 was awesome but it is Fallout 2 that hit public.
Same situation as System Shock 1 and 2.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Can't see Doom or Elite (1984) either. Sid Meier's Pirates! belongs up there as well. Master of Magic, MOO1, UFO Defence (actually I like TFTD better, it has a more menacing vibe, but UFO wasn't buggy as) etc. etc. etc.

It's almost like popularity contests are fucking dumb or something

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
What's day of defeat doing there? It's multiplayer only and no one plays this today, should be removed.

Dux

Arcane
No Lemmings? Couldn't find the room to slide that in, huh? Gotta make some room for Blood and Wine and Day of Defeat, I suppose. Well, they can go get fucked. What good is anything if you can't slide in some of that Lemmings?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Can't see Doom or Elite (1984) either. Sid Meier's Pirates! belongs up there as well. Master of Magic, MOO1, UFO Defence (actually I like TFTD better, it has a more menacing vibe, but UFO wasn't buggy as) etc. etc. etc.

Most of those games aren't even on Metacritic. Pirates! only has the 2004 remake, Doom only has some console versions... UFO is actually up there, with a user score of 9.1, but most of the stuff prior to late nineties is not even a thing in there.

FO1 should be higher than 2, but it doesn't even appear.
This really shouldn't come as a surprise, as the Codex is one of the few places where FO1 is rated higher of the two. Whenever you see a gaming journalist get nostalgic about Fallout, it's always FO2 he's talking about.

List sucks and doesn't have your favorite game, news at 11.

i sort of disagree.
some games have an unbelievable historic value, brought new technology, invented something, were the ground from whom countless clones have been born, but did not stand really well the test of time.
take elite for instance, one of my favourite games ever which even introduced me to classical music. it was an awesome technological feat fitting all that stuff on a floppy (and frontier will always be unrivaled), but what did the game offer? a dull trade, some basic pew pew, almost no customization. x stillbirth offered the same and more and look at how we trashed it!
it'd be like praising jesse owen's speed over carl lewis's.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I play Oolite semi regularly and it's still fun. I agree with you about the trading and the lack of customisation but you're wrong about the pew pew; I still like the dogfighting in Elite better than most of the more recent space games I've played as the idiosyncratic manoeuvering keeps things interesting, and Elite's combat is certainly a lot better than Frontier's (turn off engines, spin around spastically while you slide in the same direction at 150k km/s).* These days I find it a little easy, but I first played it when I was in preschool -- it's my Dad's favourite game -- so yeah. It wouldn't really take much beyond expanding the equipment list, adding in some sort of supply/demand mechanism, and increasing the threat level posed by hostile ships to make the game fresh again.

That said, I actually like the minimalism, it allows me to project my prefered sci-fi concepts onto the game more easily (you never leave your ship, so clearly you've been grafted into it somehow. Duh). LARPing's OK when it's not a Bethesda game.

* Fuck off Draq

Radech

Augur
What's day of defeat doing there? It's multiplayer only and no one plays this today, should be removed.

It's user ratings. So the only ratings are from the people who care to play it.

Makes sense then though I was a bit shocked to see it that high.

Day of Defeat completely ruined shooters for me(played it competitively for a couple years), everything I've tried since just feels wrong(all guns are inaccurate peashooters compared to DoD weaponry) - man I miss that game, easily the best gaming community I've ever been apart of.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Keep in mind the perceptive for the games on this list is very much in the moment, from compiled reviews written decades ago. This isn’t every other notable gaming website’s best 10/100 list which has the benefit of hindsight and still fills all the top spots with the most recent games to grease a few publishers.

pippin

This really shouldn't come as a surprise, as the Codex is one of the few places where FO1 is rated higher of the two. Whenever you see a gaming journalist get nostalgic about Fallout, it's always FO2 he's talking about.

I thought that was about Baldur's Gate 2: SoA, and that game appears there. Actually, people like to point out how dull Bethesda games are by comparing those to the options you had to deal with the Master, ignoring how you are forced to fight him. I'd say it's the opposite, that people do think of FO1 when they think about Fallout, but probably that's mostly due to the references made in Fallout 3.

DraQ

Arcane

i sort of disagree.
some games have an unbelievable historic value, brought new technology, invented something, were the ground from whom countless clones have been born, but did not stand really well the test of time.
take elite for instance, one of my favourite games ever which even introduced me to classical music. it was an awesome technological feat fitting all that stuff on a floppy (and frontier will always be unrivaled), but what did the game offer? a dull trade, some basic pew pew, almost no customization. x stillbirth offered the same and more and look at how we trashed it!
it'd be like praising jesse owen's speed over carl lewis's.
:salute:
(turn off engines, spin around spastically while you slide in the same direction at 150k km/s).*
Look up the word "relative".
:obviously:
It might at least help you understand Frontier's flight mechanics (because your family tree is probably unfixable at this point).
:martini:
LARPing's OK when it's not a Bethesda game.
So LARPing is ok as long as you're the LARPer?
Sure thing, whatever makes you feel better.
+M
* Fuck off Draq
No.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom