Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: The Explorer's Guide

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you ended up with unintentionally unfortunate characters like Vivienne, the pro-police-violence black lady.

There's nothing wrong with this. :rpgcodex:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
That's about all they say about him/her/it. Quoting:

The Ghibra more properly call themselves the Ghibra Ny’kul (“the children of Ny’kul”) after their most prominent god. The legends of Ny’kul praise him as the most accepting god, one who celebrates diversity in all forms, and the Ghibra see themselves as living proof.​
For fucks sake...
As I said - the king is dead, long live the king, forget about Numanerah, know NTwtF.

Last edited:

G Ziets

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
The section on the Bloom was based on our design document, and I reviewed it before it went out, so it’s almost identical to what’s in the game (minus some spoilers). I think there's even a blurb of quoted text that's taken directly from one of our dialogues.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mf1WdW4.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The section on the Bloom was based on our design document, and I reviewed it before it went out, so it’s almost identical to what’s in the game (minus some spoilers). I think there's even a blurb of quoted text that's taken directly from one of our dialogues.

Are the other sections also based on your design documents in a similar fashion?

G Ziets

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Sagus Cliffs is reasonably close, but there are some differences. I'm not sure about the rest - I only reviewed Sagus and the Bloom. (Some areas described in the book are not in our game at all.)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Ghibra more properly call themselves the Ghibra Ny’kul (“the children of Ny’kul”) after their most prominent god. The legends of Ny’kul praise him as the most accepting god, one who celebrates diversity in all forms, and the Ghibra see themselves as living proof.

Subtle... :roll:

That's just bad, lazy "fantasy" art.

Last edited:

Septaryeth

Augur
It's a missed opportunity. I was especially disappointed in M'ra Jolios because the premise is kind of neat and I really dug the concept art that's been presented. They could've explored that premise, but at least as presented in the book, the underwater thing is just more "make that six legs" weird.

Can you explain the "God of Diversity and Inclusiveness"?

The Ghibra more properly call themselves the Ghibra Ny’kul (“the children of Ny’kul”) after their most prominent god. The legends of Ny’kul praise him as the most accepting god, one who celebrates diversity in all forms, and the Ghibra see themselves as living proof.

Is there a story where these so-accepting Ghibra comes in conflict with others who disagree with Ny’kul and renounce him? :smug:

Prime Junta

Is there a story where these so-accepting Ghibra comes in conflict with others who disagree with Ny’kul and renounce him? :smug:

Nah. The conflict between them and the Patriotic Front of Jerboa (okay, fine, Jerboan Compatriots) is ostensibly about the Ghibra not letting air-breathing humans live freely in their underwater paradise. They were scant on details about that. There was a bit about the religions in Jerboa and M'ra Jolios as well which sounded an awful lot like an allegory for Islam and Christianity from where I'm at, although here they're living peacefully side by side except for those pesky Compatriots stirring up trouble.

lightbane

Arcane

Indeed, it's quite disappointing and a waste of the setting. I guess Cook wanted to do some damage control after SJWs threw a bitchy rant when they discovered one of the monsters from the core book is a regular succubus.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Indeed, it's quite disappointing and a waste of the setting. I guess Cook wanted to do some damage control after SJWs threw a bitchy rant when they discovered one of the monsters from the core book is a regular succubus.
Monte Cuck & Children of NyQuil. Would definitely buy their debut album.

Prime Junta

Numenera was extremely liberal/progressive from the start, especially on the gender/orientation front. Which of course wouldn't stop someone taking umbrage at Nibovian Wives. I'm kinda surprised it has any fans in these parts, as the social justice is laid on a bit thick in places even for my blood.

Prime Junta

Was Infinitron hoping for a positive review then?

I have no fucking idea. Why don't you ask him?

What I do know is that neither he nor anyone else made the slightest attempt to influence it in any way. He and Crooked Bee did proofread it, but editorial feedback boiled down to "good read, we'll run with it" and "good job, perhaps we'll call on you in the future." I also made sure before starting on it that they were aware of any biases I might have, and they were A-OK with that too.

I.e. from my point of view at least I do not see any evidence at all of this mythical pressure to turn the Codex into a positive-reviews-only shill site.

Septaryeth

Augur
I just read the review again. FFS.

For example, the Guide explains that the water-breathing Ghibra of M’ra Jolios are telepathic because sound carries poorly under water (the opposite is true), and they call their militia the Tears of Ny’kul. How would an underwater race even have a concept for tears?

Well it makes sense that they worship a god of :incloosive:-ness, since he obviously tolerates stupidity.

Numenera was extremely liberal/progressive from the start, especially on the gender/orientation front. Which of course wouldn't stop someone taking umbrage at Nibovian Wives. I'm kinda surprised it has any fans in these parts, as the social justice is laid on a bit thick in places even for my blood.

Sourcebook aside, do you feel the same way about the beta?
I don't really mind more modern messages in my game but damn it I don't think I can take another Dreamfall Chapters where it's border-lining preaching.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Was Infinitron hoping for a positive review then?

I have no fucking idea. Why don't you ask him?

What I do know is that neither he nor anyone else made the slightest attempt to influence it in any way. He and Crooked Bee did proofread it, but editorial feedback boiled down to "good read, we'll run with it" and "good job, perhaps we'll call on you in the future." I also made sure before starting on it that they were aware of any biases I might have, and they were A-OK with that too.

I.e. from my point of view at least I do not see any evidence at all of this mythical pressure to turn the Codex into a positive-reviews-only shill site.
This one's not something the editors are as invested in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom