Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Technomancer - action-RPG by Spiders (Mars War Logs, Bound by Flame)

Lhynn

Arcane
You seem confused. That's not an achievement, it's more like going full retard.
Bound by flame on hard was fairly challenging. but doable, what are you talking about?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
How are the companions in this game?

The lich and witch in Bound by Flame were p. fun

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Most of them have vaguely interesting personal quests, but their running commentary is a bit bland. I only liked the sweary chick, since she's basically just there to yell at people.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You seem confused. That's not an achievement, it's more like going full retard.
Bound by flame on hard was fairly challenging. but doable, what are you talking about?

Considering that all fights were resolved in the same way then it's obvious that finishing it on hard it's just an exercise in pointless masturbation. It's not about skill and it's not an achievement. It's more about how much patience you have for shitty combat.

Lhynn

Arcane
Considering that all fights were resolved in the same way then it's obvious that finishing it on hard it's just an exercise in pointless masturbation. It's not about skill and it's not an achievement. It's more about how much patience you have for shitty combat.
Combat was good enough, controls were responsive and if you kept mistakes to a minimum stuff died fast. And i beat it with a two hander, ive heard daggers absolutely destroy shit.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
it's obvious that finishing it on hard it's just an exercise in pointless masturbation.

Right sounds good, i'm gettin this fucker.

Enjoy it.

Combat was good enough, controls were responsive and if you kept mistakes to a minimum stuff died fast. And i beat it with a two hander, ive heard daggers absolutely destroy shit.

You did not address my point which was that combat was tedious and dull. It had more in common with battles of attrition than pure skill combat as in Dark Souls.

In my opinion Hard means that you need different skills and strategies to overcome different obstacles. While in Bound by Flame you only need patience to perform the same attacks again and again and as you said: don't fuck it up.

As long as you have a strong stomach then you can finish Bound by Flame regardless of your skills. The same cannot be said about Dark Souls where you actually have to adapt to the situations.

Anyway, I don't care about Bound by Flame. I did not complain about hard combat in Technomancer. The entire package is just mediocre - at best - and awful overall.

Also I think you didn't play the game. Please do it and then see if something changes. This kind of obnoxious cash grab should not be supported with money by gamers.

Lhynn

Arcane
You did not address my point which was that combat was tedious and dull. It had more in common with battles of attrition than pure skill combat as in Dark Souls.
:lol: Dank souls is about learning the pattern or playing a mage nigga, theres no skill involved. My grandma could beat it with enough patience.
Combat is not tedious, in fact combat relies exclusively on the player taking the initiative and only defending when needed. You can get out of every fight in the game without suffering damage if you are good enough.

In my opinion Hard means that you need different skills and strategies to overcome different obstacles. While in Bound by Flame you only need patience to perform the same attacks again and again and as you said: don't fuck it up.
You needed a firm grasp of the combat system, patience wasnt really needed, and this coming from the dude aping dark souls of all games? dark souls is the game that revolves around the player waiting for his turn to attack for fucks sake.

As long as you have a strong stomach then you can finish Bound by Flame regardless of your skills.
This isnt true, you actually need skill in bound by flame.

The same cannot be said about Dark Souls where you actually have to adapt to the situations.
Unless you are a mage.

Anyway, I don't care about Bound by Flame. I did not complain about hard combat in Technomancer. The entire package is just mediocre - at best - and awful overall.
Maybe, im playing it and so far its neither good nor bad. Setting is fairly interesting and some characters make me want to stick around, mostly for the opportunity to murder them, they know how to make really detestable people.

Also I think you didn't play the game. Please do it and then see if something changes. This kind of obnoxious cash grab should not be supported with money by gamers.
Well, its not nearly as much of a cashgrab as that glorified fan made expansion pack dark souls 2, but it certainly feels like theres nothing new and interesting when it comes to mechanics.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
:lol: Dank souls is about learning the pattern or playing a mage nigga, theres no skill involved. My grandma could beat it with enough patience.
Combat is not tedious, in fact combat relies exclusively on the player taking the initiative and only defending when needed. You can get out of every fight in the game without suffering damage if you are good enough.

You needed a firm grasp of the combat system, patience wasnt really needed, and this coming from the dude aping dark souls of all games? dark souls is the game that revolves around the player waiting for his turn to attack for fucks sake.

As long as you have a strong stomach then you can finish Bound by Flame regardless of your skills.
This isnt true, you actually need skill in bound by flame.

The same cannot be said about Dark Souls where you actually have to adapt to the situations.
Unless you are a mage.

Maybe, im playing it and so far its neither good nor bad. Setting is fairly interesting and some characters make me want to stick around, mostly for the opportunity to murder them, they know how to make really detestable people.

Well, its not nearly as much of a cashgrab as that glorified fan made expansion pack dark souls 2, but it certainly feels like theres nothing new and interesting when it comes to mechanics.

And this is how you go full retard.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tried to watch some let's play stuff to get some visual impressions, but couldn't since the first thing I stumbled up to was some sort of annoying younger version of Big Gay Al occasionally singing his narration and all (are they all like that?).

So is stealth a thing in this game? I mean something that could be worth a shot on at least some level? I'm not really interested in trashmobs and conventional hack'n slashing.

flushfire

Augur
Just finished it. It's an overall a bit more polished Mars War Logs, but with some unchanged seriously stupid design.

Itemization and loot is total shit. By mid-game I was ignoring loot from monsters and max locked containers held nothing but fucking common crafting materials. Every single one.

Stats and skills are almost all +miniscule percent shit that levels feel seriously underwhelming. I saved more than half of skill and stat points, allocated them all near end-game and barely felt the difference.

Respawning and backtracking combine for an extremely tedious experience in the later half of the game. Almost made me quit. Shouldn't have played on hard.

End boss was 'wtf is this shit' level btw, and I don't mean the difficulty. It just came out of nowhere. Pretty sure it wasn't even mentioned in the entire game and it came right after another wtf moment when the main antagonist fight turned out to be just a regular npc fight lol

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
One of my quests required me to kill one of NPCs (Vory boss in Noctis), following quest i did kill him. Not a bug, i just killed NPC as quest told me too.

A bit later, i was given another quest in which i need to talk to said NPC. Whom i killed earlier. Since you cant do this quest now, you cant "progress" the story, i.e. nothing will happen in game world.

Just why, Spiders?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I played on hardest difficulty, this means you die in 2-3 hits, sometimes in 1. Since you always have 100 hp (even maxxing Con will give just extra 50 hp, which is 1 hit at most), whole game is just rolling around and AOEing enemies from safe distance. Why AOE'ing? Because almost never you have 1 on 1 fights, its always several vs you. You have 2 companions but they die in 10-15 seconds after fight start. Having 300-400 hp doesnt help them to survive more.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
For those who play, dont bother with Lockpicking, Exploration. Get 2 in Charisma (+1 from companion later), and 2-3 in Stealth (helps a bit) and 1 in Science for regen.

For tree go for Technomancy and Staff (AOE, remember?). Shield skill tree is a trap.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
One of my quests required me to kill one of NPCs (Vory boss in Noctis), following quest i did kill him. Not a bug, i just killed NPC as quest told me too.

A bit later, i was given another quest in which i need to talk to said NPC. Whom i killed earlier. Since you cant do this quest now, you cant "progress" the story, i.e. nothing will happen in game world.

Just why, Spiders?

There are more like this.

PirateScum

Augur

Just why, Spiders?

Don't know what's worse, that you can't progress story because of this or that the same npc magically resurrected for me for said quest, just after I killed him in Ophir for some hookers.

Lambach

Arcane
Alright, now I see what you guys mean. Backtracking is making it really, really hard to finish the game. There's an absolutely absurd amount of it. And the combat got a tad too easy now that I've maxed out Technomancy powers and got myself fully upgraded top-tier equipment.

Will probably slog through to the end because I'm curious about how it ends, but dear god, it's not going to be easy. I was even contemplating a second playthrough with a Rogue/Traps/Stealth character, but fuck it, this insane amount of utterly dull legwork and going through the same areas while fighting the same enemies for the 832672th time is just a chore.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Update 3636 - Patch notes
Community Announcements - Neitsabes_Focus
Hi everyone,

We've just released a new update for The Technomancer!

This patch contains a number of bug fixes and commonly asked for gameplay improvements. Thanks for all of your comments and feedback - we have been listening carefully!

Here's the full patch notes:

Bug fixes:
  • Fixed a bug where you could be blocked in the "Under Threat" main quest.
  • Fixed an item duplication exploit
  • Fixed a bug preventing to complete the tutorial if you changed the binding before starting it
  • Fixed a bug where the wrong button was shown during the tutorial with a PS4 controller on PC
  • Fixed animation bugs on the character
  • Fixed two bugs preventing to complete side quests "Crowd of beggar" and "Extortion under threat" after fleeing from Ophir
  • Minor bug fixes
  • Stability improvements
  • Minor UI improvements

Gameplay:
  • Implementation of a key that toggles walking or running, bound on "Caps Lock" by default
  • Rework on the loot/drain binding system in keyboard/mouse controls: Loot will now always be bound on "interaction 1" (E) and drain on "interaction 2" (A)
  • 'Easier' Easy Mode - Following player feedback, we've reworked Easy difficulty to be more accessible. This is ideal for anyone who wants to enjoy the story without investing too much time into combat.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Alright, now I see what you guys mean. Backtracking is making it really, really hard to finish the game. There's an absolutely absurd amount of it. And the combat got a tad too easy now that I've maxed out Technomancy powers and got myself fully upgraded top-tier equipment.

Will probably slog through to the end because I'm curious about how it ends, but dear god, it's not going to be easy. I was even contemplating a second playthrough with a Rogue/Traps/Stealth character, but fuck it, this insane amount of utterly dull legwork and going through the same areas while fighting the same enemies for the 832672th time is just a chore.

Notice that combat tactics do not change, always same.

You can change 3 stances any time, but how often you do change stances? You dont need to.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
It got my hopes up in the beginning as sort of a cyberpunk/Risen sort of feel, the first 6 hours are as interesting as it gets, and quickly deteriorated into Kingdom of Amalur on mars with 2worlds quality writing and worse humor.
Back to the deep caverns till ressurrection mod is released on the 15th.

ortucis

Prophet
I completed this a few days ago. Good game (I think Bound By Flame is the only Spider RPG I have not completed, I quit at the last boss which was the kind of enemy you never faced before, fast and cheating).

Anyway, had to load up and see all endings at the end, you have to sit through unskippable cinematic which repeats same things and only when nearing the end, it talks about what effect your choices had on the game world (usually same, no matter what option you pick).

Enjoyed the game though, despite being repetitive. Combat was definitely better, I got used to it fast, died only at some boss fights. I just wish it had more C&C and less backtracking.. oh and a map system that doesn't keep you getting lost, until you learn the places visually (half-way through).

EDIT: I liked the armor and weapon upgrades, but they are too few. I was running around with maxed out armors very fast because they had only few upgrades (and can't change colors or anything, though that would be pointless).

EDIT 2: You CAN have one on one fights easily, especially when your allies take on the heat for you. They only died a lot during boss fights, but then I would keep reviving them. You DO have to set some of them to do different things (like pick one to heal everyone while other is offensive). I ended up counter blocking and critical killing a lot of enemies with my shield.

I will not replay this game though. Like Mars War Logs, it's good for one play-through only. :|

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom