Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #5: Combat Mechanics

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Spot the difference:

Hurr,,durr...I can control one character in a TB game!OMFG Underrail and AoD and Fallout are teh awesom!!!!!

Hurr,,durr...I can control one character in a TB game!Fuck this Tyranny popamole shit!Dragon Age knock off hurr!!!!
Except Tyranny is not Turn Based.

Obsidian trying real hard at making mediocre games that won't even sell.

It's tragicomic to see them talk about game mechanics and calculations as if any of it will matter and save this from becoming a borefest.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
nu-obsidian
More like noob-sidian now.

vivec's right, a party-based game with real-time combat is really just an uncontrollable clusterfuck, which is why they removed friendly fire.

It's really sad they're stuck in the past with their engine's technological limitations and couldn't make the game proper TB. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Their insistence on using "more levels = more crits" explains the use of level scaling. :M

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
I think AoE damage spells are mostly OP. Restricting it with FF is a good thing.
Also visualising the AoE beforehand, so you can place it perfectly without harming yourself should be a thing for difficulty settings...

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
They need to stop with this dev diary shit and just let Tim Cain and his band of thugs make a good game. Tim Cain versus the Emperor of Boring JE Sawyer.

DemonKing

Arcane
How hard is it to have a toggle for Friendly Fire? Now they risk pissing off their consumer base because they want to appeal to people that likely won't finish the game anyway even if they do buy it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What's the deal with friendly fire?
You throw a fireball in your own people's face and expect them not to get hurt? For real?

Might as well make the fireball heal your people. Once immersion is broken (and there is NO context where no friendly fire does make sense in a setting), you can do all kinds of gamey nonsense.

On the one hand, I'm all for user choice.
But with something like no friendly fire I feel actually offended by it and would never allow that.
It is mandatory to require some thinking from your players, and "do not let the AoE circle touch (too many of) your guys" is really not too much asked from anyone with a brain.

Besides, PoE had some AoE spells that do not hurt your own people, and they were pretty good spells, too.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How hard is it to have a toggle for Friendly Fire? Now they risk pissing off their consumer base because they want to appeal to people that likely won't finish the game anyway even if they do buy it.

This is for the Dragon Age audience and hardly anyone finishes games in the first place.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
But Pillars IS fun in PoTD.

Fuck the story. The only thing that is missing in the game is invulnerabilities, better boss fights, have actual fun wizard battles.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Fuck the story. The only thing that is missing in the game is invulnerabilities, better boss fights, have actual fun wizard battles.
No, it is even less fun on higher difficulty. Disengagement, clusterfuck combat and needing to pause every 1s second kill all the fun.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher

No, it is even less fun on higher difficulty. Disengagement, clusterfuck combat and needing to pause every 1s second kill all the fun.

Disagree.
I dont think its bad especially high levels the power level between you and enemies equalizes, yes you have to pause a lot but I have never seen a rtwp game go to this depth. My only criticism is that the game normal speed is way too fast, they should have made the animations to sync to slow mode.

The combat is good and can evolve into something better.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

Disagree.
I dont think its bad especially high levels the power level between you and enemies equalizes, yes you have to pause a lot but I have never seen a rtwp game go to this depth. My only criticism is that the game normal speed is way too fast, they should have made the animations to sync to slow mode.

Well you are pretty much alone on 'Dex with that opinion.

Sizzle

Arcane

Disagree.

Nah, lots of guys on the 'Dex like it well enough.

hpstg

Savant
They need to stop with this dev diary shit and just let Tim Cain and his band of thugs make a good game. Tim Cain versus the Emperor of Boring JE Sawyer.

Even better. Let them do their thing for a couple of years, then give it for six months to Sawyer to release.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Disagree.

Nah, lots of guys on the 'Dex like it well enough.
Not the ones that count :P

The vote for best game showed how much really like it. It was like bottom 5 game or something.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Disagree.

Nah, lots of guys on the 'Dex like it well enough. The vote for best game showed how much really like it. It was like bottom 5 game or something.
That vote was rigged and riddled with statistical shinanigans. There is only one poll which counts, and it shows that most people like it. :smug:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is that the same poll that shows AoD won 'Dex Goty over Underrail? :P

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is that the same poll that shows AoD won 'Dex Goty over Underrail? :P
No, it is my poll. :D
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ast-pillars-of-eternity-rating-thread.109363/
It is not about comparing games to eachother, just PoE in itself. And the results are clear, many many people rate PoE positively, it is far from the disaster some edgy guys claim it to be. (they are probably the ones who's opinion "matter" as you said it :P )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom