Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rogue system - new space sim

VladimirK

Learned
Update 4:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/26911-Update-4-(version-0-1-10-26-15)-Now-Available
http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/p/downloads/
http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/p/buyeaccess/

Early Access is just 10$. (Yes, this is a plug. Because the game is:incline:.)

TL;DR:
- art progress on the Flying Fox. Sadly, not flyable yet, but available to look at in a couple missions;
- engine and weapon sound improvements;
- line-of-sight and distance model for radio comms (degradation w/ distance, blocked by celestial bodies).

DETAILS:

Edit 2: It's been brought to my attention that the station rescue mission is broken. The station doesn't have enough power now to broadcast the localizer signals. Fixing this requires a code change, so it will have to wait for Update 4.5, coming on Nov 17th. Until then, you can practice emergency docking with any powered station, or the Flying Fox in Tutorial Mission 7 and Single Mission 2...

More info on this: It's not REALLY a bug. Quite simply, the station's emergency power isn't enough to broadcast the localizer signals as per the new signal code. So, the system is behaving properly based on the situation. It was my fault for not verifying sufficient power under this circumstance. All my tests were done in the new sandbox mission with properly powered stations. This one is completely on me....

1. The exterior art for the Flying Fox has been completed to 70% of final. There's still little details (both model and texture) I'd like to add, but this is more than presentable, and should be good to look at until it receives its final pass later in the Alpha stage. If you want to see it immediately, it is in orbit very close to you in Tutorial Mission 7. If you want a challenge, it is SOMEWHERE around a planet or moon in our local test system in the new, test "sandbox" mission--try and find it.

2. While I didn't have time to get the AI to actually transfer to another body, I DID improve the aiming. While the AI is slow to align to aim point, once there you'll find it scores many more hits, even from a good range. The goal now becomes to get it to aim more quickly.

3. With Michael's help, we added the idea that signals can be blocked by celestial bodies, and can degrade over range. This affects communications as well as localizer signals (no more locking on to a localizer for a ship orbiting another moon). To demo this, we're added a music radio station to each orbital training platform. An example frequency would be 45.2.301 (music frequencies are hardcoded to .301 for now). If you tune your COMMS to a valid music signal, are in the proper range, press the CHNL AUDIO key on the COMMS keypad, and the station is in "line of sight", you will hear music. If you fly away from the station, the music will gradually fade, and become more noisy as the signal degrades. Eventually, all you'll hear is signal noise. For localizers, this means as you get further away, the signal slowly becomes garbled, and data may become invalid.

Note: A known issue is that when one song stops playing a new song from the playlist will NOT begin. Simply click the CHNL AUDIO key, and then press it again, and a new song will start playing.

4. Also on the audio front, we're added some placeholder SAI-generated feedback tones for weapons. Not only will you hear the physical representation of the weapon firing, you'll now also hear digital tones for firing, reloading, and if a hit is detected on another object. These are very first-pass and need to be iterated on.

5. Finally, Michael and I have added SAI-generated feedback audio for the FLUX Drive. It responds to the request thrust level. Again, this is first-pass audio and will be iterated on

6. Finally, I did find time to clean up a fair number of little bugs, and get a few items cleaned up. In particular, you should notice that the closure rate displays for both designated targets and on the VMS docking display are now much more stable.

As always, check the readme change log for a complete list of fixes, additions and revisions. Also, November is going to be slightly truncated as I'll be out of town during the week of Thanksgiving. This will have an affect on the upcoming update, which I'll talk about more in the newest developer's journal entry, which I'm working on now.

DEVELOPER'S JOURNAL (includes plans for next updates):

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/25660-Developer-s-Journal?p=394403&viewfull=1#post394403

26 October, 2015

As always, it's been rather hectic the past week or so with preparations for Update 4. Art, again, took a fair chunk of time from the development cycle; so much so in fact that I almost thought I wouldn't get everything done. But, I'm glad to say everything I wanted to finish, I did... kind of.

My goal for this update was to do both the interior AND exterior art for the new Flying Fox. As I was working on exterior art though, I realized that if I rushed it to be able to move on to the interior, BOTH elements would suffer visually. Since this art probably won't get another pass until later in the Alpha stage, I decided it was best to hold the interior, and work the exterior up to 70% of completion. Doing this, I'm much more confident the art will stand up for WIP screenshots and videos. Plus, we'll be looking at this for a few good months--I didn't want it to become hard on the eyes. Obviously then, I'll be beginning work on the interior art for the next couple of updates. More on that in a minute...

Another goal for this update was to improve AI direct aiming. I DID have time to work on this, and have made an improvement. Once the AI is lined up, I think you'll find it now scores more hits, more often, from a greater distance. What's throwing the solution off a bit now is the slowness at which the AI aims the ship. It's easy to defeat right now because they simply don't rotate with their full potential to precision. I was hoping to be able to work on this aspect, too; but that time escaped me in favor of the art task. So, I'll be working to improve this next.

Beyond that, I did find time to work on a fair amount of smaller items, one of which actually turned into a BIG item. If you recall from Update 3, the Flying Fox was disappearing from the orbit it was in around a distant moon. I THOUGHT this was a simple mission code bug concerning object placement. Turns out that this was only PART of a bigger problem. The placement was in fact bugged. For example, if you expect an object to be in orbit with a periapsis of 400 km and an apoapsis of 500 km, but the mission code places the object at a periapsis of 900 km, obviously the orbital velocity is all screwed up and the orbit degrades quickly. Once I had this fixed I still found I had a problem though.

One issue was Leadwerks was not returning 64-bit object position data. The truncated 32-bit data was causing errors in orbital calculations, and that was degrading orbits. Switching to 64-bit position data (as was originally intended) fixed this problem instantly. However, there STILL was another problem--entering SAN/SLEEP was causing celestial bodies to "jump" slightly out of position, which also adversely affected orbital calculations. Finally, when an alarm triggered the player to wake from SLEEP, the SLEEP event was not cleaning up correctly, and this was also causing celestial bodies to jump out of position by many kilometers.

Once all of these items were fixed, the orbital simulation was once again stable. So much in fact that my new test "sandbox" mission finally worked properly. The sandbox mission puts at least one object around each planet and moon in the system. You start docked, cold and dark. Your two critical goals are to undock, and eventually dock again. What you do inbetween is up to you....

Beyond this, Michael and I were able to add a few new audio items, one of which was added to demo some new signal functionality. It is intended that the SAI will generate feedback audio for things the pilot normally wouldn't hear (weapon hits, for example). While there are no volume controls for this yet, we did get in SAI feedback for FLUX-generated thrust, weapon firing, reloading, and hits on an object. More importantly though is the new training platform music channels.

It's been a feature goal that signals not only travel through space, but also can be blocked by celestial bodies, AND signal data can degrade over range. You may have noticed before that you could lock on to a localizer signal for a ship that was orbiting a completely different body. This is no longer the case. Signal data will degrade over range, and if a celestial body comes between you and the sender, the signal will be blocked. To demo this, Michael was kind enough to put together a few original songs in a FMOD playlist, and I assigned a music channel to each training platform. Music frequencies, for now, always end with .301 So, if you entered something like 45.2.301, and the signal actually reaches your ship, you'll hear music. As you get further away, you'll hear more and more background noise and static as the signal degrades. Eventually, the signal is completely "lost".

This audio demo is not wasted, as it directly applies to an ATIS-like feature. Any ship with an STC will broadcast information to update you on local conditions. Likewise, eventually voice communications will have proper audio, too; and this will also need to be affected by the same type of blockage and degradation.

So, let's look ahead to the next update. First, Thanksgiving is coming up and so that is going to truncate development time in November. What's more, we won't be spending Thanksgiving at home. Instead, I will be out of town for the holiday week with my wife; and we are going to pick our daughters up from college (in Colorado). We're all going to spend the week in Estes Park, CO, in the mountains. We normally try to do this every summer, but it just didn't work out this year. So, we decided to do this for Thanksgiving. We LOVE the mountains, and mountain hiking, so I'm REALLY looking forward to unplugging, getting some fresh air (and maybe even some snow), and clearing my head.

What this all means is that I'm looking at only a 3-week update cycle. That is nowhere NEAR enough time to get the FF interior art done, AND do the control art so the ship is actually flyable with a proper cockpit interface. It just won't happen. So, here's what I'm thinking: I'm going to do what I can on interior art during the day, and get some coding done in the evening. I will then release what I have stable on November 17th as "Update 4.5". After the holiday, because of Christmas, we'll be looking at a similar situation for December; so I'll work until about the 20th of December and then release that as "Update 5" proper. By Update 5, it's my intent to have the Flying Fox flyable.

Of course, I could just say there won't be any update in November, but I REALLY don't want to do that. I think I can get enough done to make an update worthwhile. So, like it or not, this is what I'm doing
smile.png
Considering this then, for update 4.5, we're looking at:

Item 1 -- Flying Fox interior work, part 1
Simply, anything and everything that needs to be done to get the interior art completed to 70%, get the cockpit controls working, get VMS implementation finalized--anything I can get done by Nov 17th towards this goal....

Item 2 -- Control Binding enhancements, part 1
There's been a lot of suggestions for additional binding functionality and features. I'll prioritize these items tomorrow and then start knocking them out as I can.

Item 3 -- Ship Part detachment due to force and damage, part 1
An example of this is damaging a radiator by running it into a station during docking, including the possibility of having it become detached from the ship. This does not include more refined forms of damage such as bending or shattering. Right now we're looking strictly at "coarse" representations.

ISI and I do have a goal for getting Rogue System to Steam in six months, and I'm developing a roadmap of items that should be done to make this a successful attempt. Basically it's business as usual, but I'll need to shuffle some tasks around to facilitate some things I want to achieve for the 1st Steam eAccess version. I'll be talking more about this soon.

Otherwise, as always, thanks for all the kind words, suggestions, and constructive feedback. Also, thanks for the extra effort in trying to help spread the word about RogSys. I will tell you that there are noticeably positive results whenever you guys promote a video, or get a popular discussion going about RogSys. I truly appreciate the extra effort you all are putting forth in trying to make RogSys' early access a success!

Last edited:

VladimirK

Learned
FF_int_WIP_01.jpg

^ that's the interior art for the next flyable ship, 'The Flying Fox'. Looks quite a bit roomier and prettier than the FireArc! Promised to be flyable by the next update (Dec 25th).

Anyway, that's the highlight of Update 4.5. The changelog is small: mostly ship-to-ship collisions and quality-of-life control settings improvements.

CHANGELOG:

Refined: It is now possible to double up keyboard key bindings based on mode (eg. "W" can now be "walk forward" while in FPS mode AND "translate forward" while in pilot's seat)
Refined: It is now possible to assign one controller (joystick, gamepad) button as a modifier. This allows controller buttons to have two bindings each (does not yet apply to axes and hats)
Refined: Options/Controls page--the "cancel" button has been changed to "close". Closing the Controls page before saving will cancel all changes since the last save.
Refined: Options/Controls page--"save" no longer closes the Controls page.
Fixed: Options/Controls page--closing without saving, and then returning to Controls page, the unsaved changed bindings would not always reset to the last-saved bindings
Fixed: Localizer signals were not broadcasting under emergency power
Fixed: When ship-to-ship collisions occurred, collision location and normal vector were not being properly passed to game code from physics engine
Re-Enabled: Ship-to-ship collisions are now active again, and behaving properly as expected for first-pass implementation
Added: Impact sound event for ship-to-ship collisions (scraping sound still required)
Refined: Exterior ship parts can now collide with ship hulls
Refined: Cockpit modules can now collide with ship hulls

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Update 4.5 is now available. As always, look here for the download: http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/p/downloads/

Since this is a truncated, interim update I'm not going to make a bunch of hoopla about it. The changelog is noticeably shorter, as expected, both due to continued ship artwork as well as the shortened update cycle (I'll be out of town for the next 10 days for the Thanksgiving holiday).

As I mentioned in the changelog thread, the time I was going to use on setting up the Flying Fox, so you could walk around on the main deck, I ended up using for ship collision work. I felt that gameplay element was more important than being able to walk around in a ship you can't actually fly yet. However, I did put together a QUICK image showing a few different views of the main deck. These are straight of out 3DS MAX using the default renderer--no ambient occlusion, no spec maps, NOTHING FANCY at all--because I'm pressed for time today. So, without further noise from me:

http://roguesystemsim.com/images/FF_int_WIP_01.jpg

Interiors are a LOT of work. After I get back on the 30th I'll be working on the pilot's station so you can actually fly the thing, and finishing off the flight deck area. After that, I can knock out the other "less important" rooms as time allows. Main thing is to get it flyable...

Ship to ship collisions are re-enabled and working as expected for the first-pass implementation. They are not perfect by any stretch. There are cases where you can force your ship through another as I'm not yet doing penetration correction. The important thing right now is that collisions are properly detected and acted on, which they seem to be. I've now tested collisions with a max relative velocity of ~230 m/s. If you all would, please play around and see how "fast" you can hit something before the collision is missed due to update stepping. I believe NEWTON physics does have some prediction to handle this; but I'm not sure how far that will take us. I'm pretty certain I'll need to do some specific code to handle more extreme relative velocities.

All that said, it's working pretty well at lower velocities such as you'd encounter during docking. Internal system impact damage does get applied (for the systems that are hooked up to the damage manager), so be cautious while docking. The FireArc can take something of a beating due to the armor. The training platforms however are NOT armored and are rather fragile. It's easy to disable them. If you do, they will no long hold attitude, and you'll be forced to use the emergency clamp.

For Update 5, I'll be adding the basic implementation to break off parts due to impact force, as well as system specific damage from that (a snapped off radiator would cause a leak, etc).

Debugging the collision took some extra time, so I didn't QUITE get to all the control binding refinements I wanted to for 4.5--namely toggle switches. However, you can now double up controls based on mode ("W" can now be used for walking forward AND translating forward, for example). Also, you can now assign a j-stick/gamepad button to be used as a modifier for other j-stick/gamepad buttons. It does not yet affect axes and hats, only buttons. However, many hats and D-Pads are represented as buttons, so in these cases the modifier would work.

I'll be continuing control bindings refinements for Update 5...

Otherwise, that's it for this one. Again, it's not a full update cycle--I just wanted to give you all SOMETHING this month. Finally, for those in the USA, I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers...

EDIT: Please note, the command assignment changes will probably force you to have to reassign a few commands, depending on how creative/in depth you got. If something doesn't work as expected, look there first...
smile.png

VladimirK

Learned
PRELIMINARY:

The next update (with the first official flyable ship) got delayed, but the changelog is already HUGE:

Added: Interior art for main deck of Flying Fox
Added: Ability to define a unique player start position for each ship for single missions
Refined: Decreased initial load time
Added: Noesis GUI hard-mounted control displays (buttons can now display dynamic text) (Pilot/Co-Pilot only for now)
Added: Ability to add and reference new Noesis GUI HM controls pages (Pilot/Co-Pilot only for now)
Added: .ROG data file for each new HM controls page
Fixed: It was sometimes possible to stand up from seat while it was in motion
Added: HM control display text now defined in control file (modes: ON, OFF, ACTIVE, INOP). This allows for localization
Refined: TMS--each cooling loop now has a dedicated coolant storage tank
Added: TMS--coolant storage tanks now have properly functioning pressure bladders and isolation valves
Refined: TMS--coolant pressure now more accurately calculated
Refined: TMS--coolant temperature is now monitored for coolant in the lines, as well as isolated coolant remaining in the storage tank
Fixed: TMS--flash venting of coolant should now properly work as long as the system is configured properly
Refined: RCM--reactant tanks now have properly functioning pressure bladders
Refined: ECS--a ship can now have up to four independent system buses
Refined: ECS--a ship can now have up to four main High-Voltage buses
Refined: ECS--a ship can now have up to four weapon buses
Refined: ECS--each ship now has a clearly defined reserve power bus (used to recharge batteries, etc)
Refined: ECS--emergency power bus is now isolated from reserve power bus
Refined: ECS--distribution mode switch removed
Refined: ECS--bus ENABLE buttons removed
Refined: ECS--each bus now has a properly defined breaker. As long as it is set the bus is functional
Refined: ECS--Each HV bus can now be tied to one or more system and weapon buses
Refined: BMS--it's now possible to specify which system bus is fed by fuel cell (one or multiples allowed)
Refined: FCM--it's now possible to specify which system bus is fed by fuel cell (one or multiples allowed)
Refined: FCM--a single SOURCE VALIDATE button will auto-select valid RCM tanks for fuel cell consumables
Refined: FCM--there is now a single ISOLATE button that will permanently cut off the fuel cell consumables supply
Refined: MES--LENRs and other HV generators have been removed from Main Engine functionality to their own sub-system
Added: LENR--added a new HV generator sub-system (LENRs, etc). Ships can have more than one HV generator
Refined: LENR--no longer requires an EM shield (functionality removed)
Refined: all sub-systems updated to properly use revised ECS power distribution
Fixed: COMMS--menu should no longer open when transmission is not possible
Fixed: transmitter is no longer required for hard-line communication with STC
Fixed: COMMS--system use properly produces waste heat
Fixed: COMMS--signal transmissions request proper power levels
Fixed: COMMS--signal transmission now produces waste heat
Refined: LSS--made changes that MAY fix no-oxygen condition with total power loss (requires testing)
Added: new sound bank for Flying Fox (currently uses assets from FireArc prototype)
Added: new sound bank for test LENR system (currently uses assets from MES prototype)
Refined: Safety cover functionality
Added: Weapon Capacitors can now feed their charge back into the reserve and emergency buses in emergency supply mode
Refined: Cleaned up weapon firing code
Refined: weapon shot power to waste heat calculation now more accurate
Fixed: NAS--system was not creating waste heat while operating
Fixed: WTC--system was not creating waste heat while operating
Refined: FCM--Purge is now OFF or AUTO ON. When contaminants build up to a critical threshold the system will purge accordingly
Fixed: Both NAS and WTC were using the wrong values for power consumption (copy/paste error)
Refined: Added safety switch covers to many critical controls
Refined: ECS--reworked bus amp limits. Excessive draws on any bus now properly causes the buses' breaker to trip
Added: LSS--pilot's life support control panel
Added: LSS--functionality/visual control to enable/disable scrubbers
Added: LSS--functionality/visual control to isolate primary, secondary and liquid consumable tank via ISO valve
Added: LSS--functionality/visual control to enable(auto-on)/disable cabin HVAC
Added: LSS--functionality/visual control to enable(auto-on)/disable primary, secondary, and liquid consumable tank pressure pump
Added: COMMS--switch functionality/visual control for incoming signal/comms volume (system functionality Not Yet Implemented)
Refined: Cockpit Art--switch safety covers now see-thru to allow button text to remain readable

Explanation for the delay (tl;dr: burnout, but caught in time cause the dev is a serious experienced guy):

01 January, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I seriously can't believe another year has come and gone--seems like it was just yesterday that I was beginning to ramp up for the 1st eAccess release around this time last year. Now it's 2016 and I'm ramping up for the upcoming Steam early access release. I'm not sure of an exact time frame yet, but it is coming. So, before I go any further I just want to take a quick moment and say THANK YOU to all of the current eAccess community. The support and feedback you all have given thus far has been thoughtful, well-written, and very useful (although the usefulness may not be readily apparent yet). With that, let's talk about a few things going into the new year.

As noted in the FAQ and other places, RogSys is privately funded to a minimum level of completion, hence RogSys is NOT crowd-funded; but rather its expedited development is crowd-supported. ISI is the publisher, and specific eAccess purchase data is their private information. While it's not my place to publicly divulge this info, I do like to update you all from time to time on eAccess by giving you a general rundown of the current state of affairs. As I mentioned previously, in order to ethically and responsibly be able to hire other team members for a reasonable amount of time, eAccess sales had to reach a specific level. As I wrote here, 10K eAccess package purchases at an average of $60 would cover ISI's initial investment and allow me to hire some additional help. To date, we have not reached this. In fact, we're WELL under this mark; but sales still continue at a steady (albeit slow) pace. Considering RogSys has NO ADVERTISING, is still in very early access, AND is currently being sold directly from ISI's commerce system, I don't consider this a failure by any means! Obviously though, additional team members are not yet an option.

What this means is that since I'm still a team of one I remain forced to continue aiming for the minimum feature set for the 1.0 release. This means that things like character interactions in between missions, storytelling cutscenes, and other elements of this nature will have to come in a post 1.0 update. There is still a chance though for crowd-supported extended development to work, and this is with the upcoming Steam early access release. There are elements that ISI and I have identified to give Steam early access the best chance of success. These include the introduction of more final gameplay elements (beginning with the first "final" flyable ship--the Flying Fox). Likewise, we're coming up with a few ways to help further spread the word about RogSys once it hits Steam. You wouldn't BELIEVE how often I still here, "I didn't even know this game existed until today." Obviously, my focus will be to work on the gameplay and art needed for this in the immediate future.

I have been working hard and am proud of what's been done thus far. Most of all, I'm VERY proud of the overall stability of each RogSys update (especially when compared to other titles with far larger teams and budgets). I try VERY hard to make sure things work reasonably well without crashing the game, OR your system, every few minutes. Considering this, I will admit that watching people continue to throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at Star Citizen (which Chris Roberts has said has enough money tucked away to finish SC if all funding stopped immediately, if you believe that), while I struggle to hire a couple artists to help out, has been maddeningly frustrating at times. I KNOW RogSys can be incredibly unique, fun, and challenging. What's frustrating is that I can't make the progress I want each month because I'm stretched thin.

Does this stop me, or make me want to quit? No! In fact, it is a somewhat effective motivation in some ways
smile.png
Regardless, it is what it is; and so all I can do is continue slowly and steadily. We'll get there eventually, I have no doubt....

Moving on, you may or may not have seen that I've been dropping some updates here and there over the holiday season with continued work on the Flying Fox interior. The most recent update showed that I had gotten the interior structure and pilot's station art in game and was able to move around in it.

http://www.roguesystemsim.com/images/FF_int_ingame.jpg

Obviously the interior art isn't final. I left it at 70%--still in need of some detailing and texture tweaking, which will get hit in the revision pass later in Alpha.

I'm currently setting up control art, which I hoped to have done already. Why am I running late? You all know I don't beat around the bush, and the honest truth is I started burning out shortly after the start of December. As I've said before, I've been doing this long enough to know when I'm reaching my limit; and I started feeling this right after the Thanksgiving break. I immediately decreased my work day and made sure I got more sleep, got outside and did some more R&R; and was trying to get more exercise. You HAVE to do this or you're going to hit a brick wall and everything will just come apart (Josh over at Limit Theory knows what I mean--hope he's feeling better). All you can do is slow down until you recover. Uncontrolled burn-outs can be devastating to the mind and body--severe depression can set in; and anyone who suffers from depression knows how that can make you feel physically.

You might ask why I didn't just take two weeks off completely, or something similar. That actually does not help at all. What happens is you just get accustomed to not working, and then when you HAVE to go back to work it hits you all over again. This kind of happened to me over Thanksgiving--I took the 10 days off and started feeling very light and relaxed. As soon as I got home and got back to work the weight hit me all over again. That was the big clue that I was burning out. No, all you can do is throttle back, continue to work, and push through steadily until you come out on the other side. Meditation also helps a lot to refocus. You also need to remind yourself over and over again that it's all worth the time and effort. If you don't believe in what you're doing then there's no point in carrying on.

So yes. All you can really do when you're facing a burn-out is to manage its effects as best as possible until you recover. It's just like being sick--you rest, take the "medicine" you need to fight it, and try to get well soon. I'm happy to say I'm on the other side and am feeling a LOT better. I'm refreshed and ready to push again
smile.png

Posting updates was a way to prove to you all (and myself) that I was still making progress. That's very important for self-motivation. Sadly though, I didn't make the progress I had hoped I would. The problem with working solo is that there's no one to help out when you're down--there's no support. Hence, there is a reason why this developer's entry comes without an update for the first time. The honest fact is it's just not ready yet. I do understand if this disappoints you; and I'm sorry for the slip. All I can do is promise you that I will get back on schedule as quickly as possible; and release the update as soon as the work is finished.

So, all that said, let's talk about what's coming up. Top priority is to get the pilot's station for the Fox working ASAP (which includes final VMS integration). This needs to get done, and get done SOON. Period. I also want to finish up the first round of control binding enhancements, as well as the detachable ship parts. Next, I'm going to do a bit of visual FX work, rework all the current tutorial missions to work with the Flying Fox, and also add as many Fox-related single missions as possible. These include ship rescue, satellite recovery using the robot arm, and whatever else I can do. With this, I hope to have enough gameplay to create a worthy Steam early access release. We could PROBABLY go now, but I think it's very important to launch with more gameplay.

During all this work, ship systems will start being finalized, and the physical pilot reactions that you saw in the kickstarter prototype will start coming online. I'll also start introducing FPS gameplay. For now, this mainly will be repair work both within the ship, and externally via EVA (hence the need for the Fox's airlock and EVA suit storage area). By time we get to Steam, you should have a much clearer idea of what you'll be doing in RogSys (at least with regards to the combat service squadron)....

From there, we need to get the player's station up and running, as well as get the first final enemy ships--the "fighter" and carrier--put in. We have a great design for both--think you're going to like them a LOT. As soon as I can do this we'll have the very basic elements required to get the dynamic mission system up and running. From there, we start expanding combat aspects (weapons, sensor and defensive systems). Some of the freighter designs that you all have been submitting will start making an appearance after that.

And that's where we're at. I'm off-schedule by about a month now; and working as quickly as possible to recover as much of that time as I can. eAccess sales, while low, are still steady; but we're not where we need to be to hire additional team members yet. Finally, we're gearing up and working towards our Steam early access release. By the way, if you're wondering, anyone currently in eAccess will be given a Steam key if they want one. ISI has been doing this with their rFactor1 & 2 customers and they've indicated no problems or negative ramifications from this. So, when the time comes, there will be a way for you to request a Steam key. Again, as for the current delay, all I can do is apologize. I managed it as best as I could to come back as quickly as possible; and again I appreciate your understanding and patience during this time.

With that, I sincerely hope that everyone had a truly happy and safe holiday season. I greatly look forward to the coming year and the coming updates to Rogue System. As always, if ANYONE has ANY questions about anything I've written, please feel free to start a thread and ask away. I will be happy to answer questions as best I'm able.

Best Regards,
Michael

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looks like a chair simulator. Is there any idea of when there will be actually something playable?

VladimirK

Learned
NEW UPDATE: 0.1.03.06.16, "Interim Test Version"

TL;DR — A new flyable ship, with systems much refined compared to the FireArc. Not everything's been ported over yet though (for example, I don't see any weapons systems and there's no warning panel at the moment).

ANNOUNCEMENT:

DO NOT "install" this update over the previous version if you plan on flying any tutorial missions from the previous version. The new ship does not yet have all its features and so will not work with the old missions; and the prototype FireArc no longer works with the new code in this version. Hence, I'm labeling this update as "interim test", and keeping 4.5 as "current" (if that makes sense
smile.png
). Now, that said, here's the link for version 4.9 "interim test":

main: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gt...1.03.06.16.zip
mirror: http://world3.rfactor.net/dl/rogsys/...1.03.06.16.zip

You'll notice this version only has a single "mission"--this is the scenario I've been using in order to develop and test the Flying Fox and all the code I've been adding/overhauling. You start out in orbit, very close to a station (for orbital reference). The seat will auto-rotate to "load", at which time you can sit down and start playing with buttons and seeing how things affect the new systems function code. You'll notice that system breakers have been added to each system panel, and these are labeled with the system acronym. You'll know if/when they pop, at which time you can attempt to reset them. Larger breakers will be located in the ship's service area.

You'll also notice that you can not yet climb any ladders or open any doors. The other areas are not ready yet, so the easiest way to deal with it was to simply not allow you to try to go to them.

ALL systems have had revisions to their functionality. While not all damage handling is in yet, I think you'll find things react properly. Life support was verified, and you'll find an instrument panel that gives you a head's up on the current atmosphere (note: there's no way to forcibly depressurize the cabin yet). Try turning off the scrubbers, or closing isolation valves to various tanks to see how the mixture is affected. Warning: once isolation valves are closed they can NOT be re-opened currently. You'll find safety covers over these items...

VMS now uses proper render textures, rather than the old "window" tech. The lens flare no longer tracks with the player's head motion, obviously, so it now makes sense. I do admit it will take a couple days to get use to the new look. There IS a bit of texture stretching at the extremes of the view due to the fish-eye effect of the camera's FOV. I'll be dealing with this later. It's not bad though, and after a while you don't think anything of it. In fact, it becomes a nice contrast to actual external views. Also, the render texture could stand to be a higher resolution, but the un-optimized planetary shaders currently prevent this. Once these are fixed up we should be able to double the resolution for a nice, crisp display. Finally, there are commands to cycle external static cameras (next/previous). You'll need to assign these as you see fit.

MTS boosters are now a part of the hull, which makes more sense, and the LENR functionality is now independent of the MES system (again, which makes sense). Not only are there throttle bindings to affect both the selected MTS booster and selected main engine, there are also bindings for individual booster/MES. Throttle locks are now mechanic locks to link all throttles together. When locked, all throttles will track throttle 1 (so the selected throttle bindings will affect all thrust--making things seemingly function as they did in previous versions). Be CAREFUL when unlocking throttles--you can cause some rather nasty rotations.

A LOT of work went into externalizing the UI for instruments, controls, MFDs and VMS. This allows new ships to use existing UI schemes, makes it easy to localize text, and should make it much easier to get new ships up and running. It may look similar to what was there before, but there was a ton of work done to make the external scripts, and managing code, to be able to do that. One cool thing about moving button labeling to the Noesis UI engine is that now label text reflects the current state of the system. This should make it MUCH easier to understand what your actions are doing (even without instrumentation). You'll notice that only two systems (LSS and ECS) have functioning instrumentation. These should give you an idea of where I'm going. You'll notice that, as requested, numerical readouts have been added to the graphic indicators.

MES uses a LOT of power to generate thrust. When using in tandem with MTS thrust be sure not to overload the ECS main HV bus. One or more systems could drop off-line if you do. You now have far greater control of power distribution, and the indicators should readily show what buses are in fear of overloading. If you draw more amperage than a bus can handle, you can trip a main breaker. There is no way to reset these yet, so be careful. Finally, if both batteries are dead, and no other power is being generated, the ship is basically dead in space (until we get solar panels working--coming very soon).

Please see the readme for other notes, known issues, and the full changelog. It is 99 items long--lots of work
smile.png
There's probably a lot I failed to cover here, so if you have any questions please feel free to post below.

Thanks for your patience during this long update cycle. I very much appreciate it!

Edit 1: OH, I'll be working on a new dev journal entry (probably tomorrow morning). I'll give a shout when it's up. Thanks again...

Edit 2: I will update the launcher/ingame "Message of the Day" later this evening...

CHANGELOG (99 items):

Added: Interior art for main deck of Flying Fox
Added: Ability to define a unique player start position for each ship for single missions
Refined: Decreased initial load time
Added: Noesis GUI hard-mounted control displays (buttons can now display dynamic text) (Pilot/Co-Pilot only for now)
Added: Ability to add and reference new Noesis GUI HM controls pages (Pilot/Co-Pilot only for now)
Added: .ROG data file for each new HM controls page
Fixed: It was sometimes possible to stand up from seat while it was in motion
Added: HM control display text now defined in control file (modes: ON, OFF, ACTIVE, INOP). This allows for localization
Refined: TMS--each cooling loop now has a dedicated coolant storage tank
Added: TMS--coolant storage tanks now have properly functioning pressure bladders and isolation valves
Refined: TMS--coolant pressure now more accurately calculated
Refined: TMS--coolant temperature is now monitored for coolant in the lines, as well as isolated coolant remaining in the storage tank
Fixed: TMS--flash venting of coolant should now properly work as long as the system is configured properly
Refined: RCM--reactant tanks now have properly functioning pressure bladders
Refined: ECS--a ship can now have up to four independent system buses
Refined: ECS--a ship can now have up to four main High-Voltage buses
Refined: ECS--a ship can now have up to four weapon buses
Refined: ECS--each ship now has a clearly defined reserve power bus (used to recharge batteries, etc)
Refined: ECS--emergency power bus is now isolated from reserve power bus
Refined: ECS--distribution mode switch removed
Refined: ECS--bus ENABLE buttons removed
Refined: ECS--each bus now has a properly defined breaker. As long as it is set the bus is functional
Refined: ECS--Each HV bus can now be tied to one or more system and weapon buses
Refined: BMS--it's now possible to specify which system bus is fed by fuel cell (one or multiples allowed)
Refined: FCM--it's now possible to specify which system bus is fed by fuel cell (one or multiples allowed)
Refined: FCM--a single SOURCE VALIDATE button will auto-select valid RCM tanks for fuel cell consumables
Refined: FCM--there is now a single ISOLATE button that will permanently cut off the fuel cell consumables supply
Refined: MES--LENRs and other HV generators have been removed from Main Engine functionality to their own sub-system
Added: LENR--added a new HV generator sub-system (LENRs, etc). Ships can have more than one HV generator
Refined: LENR--no longer requires an EM shield (functionality removed)
Refined: all sub-systems updated to properly use revised ECS power distribution
Fixed: COMMS--menu should no longer open when transmission is not possible
Fixed: transmitter is no longer required for hard-line communication with STC
Fixed: COMMS--system use properly produces waste heat
Fixed: COMMS--signal transmissions request proper power levels
Fixed: COMMS--signal transmission now produces waste heat
Refined: LSS--made changes that MAY fix no-oxygen condition with total power loss (requires testing)
Added: new sound bank for Flying Fox (currently uses assets from FireArc prototype)
Added: new sound bank for test LENR system (currently uses assets from MES prototype)
Refined: Safety cover functionality
Added: Weapon Capacitors can now feed their charge back into the reserve and emergency buses in emergency supply mode
Refined: Cleaned up weapon firing code
Refined: weapon shot power to waste heat calculation now more accurate
Fixed: NAS--system was not creating waste heat while operating
Fixed: WTC--system was not creating waste heat while operating
Refined: FCM--Purge is now OFF or AUTO ON. When contaminants build up to a critical threshold the system will purge accordingly
Fixed: Both NAS and WTC were using the wrong values for power consumption (copy/paste error)
Refined: Added safety switch covers to many critical controls
Refined: ECS--reworked bus amp limits. Excessive draws on any bus now properly causes the buses' breaker to trip
Added: LSS--pilot's life support control panel
Added: LSS--functionality/visual control to enable/disable scrubbers
Added: LSS--functionality/visual control to isolate primary, secondary and liquid consumable tank via ISO valve
Added: LSS--functionality/visual control to enable(auto-on)/disable cabin HVAC
Added: LSS--functionality/visual control to enable(auto-on)/disable primary, secondary, and liquid consumable tank pressure pump
Added: COMMS--switch functionality/visual control for incoming signal/comms volume (system functionality Not Yet Implemented)
Refined: Cockpit Art--switch safety covers now see-thru to allow button text to remain readable
Added: RCM--Functionality to handle core jettison (system function only--exterior visual does not yet jettison from ship)
Refined: RCM--Once a tank's isolation valve has been commanded closed it can NOT be opened again
Added: RCM--Switch safety covers for tank isolation valves
Added: RCM--visual control to allow a tank to be refueled (visuals only, functionality Not Yet Implemented)
Refined: MES--core functionality updated
Fixed: RCM--bug that would cause an "out of propellant" warning if the reactant core system was restarted
Refined: NAS--moved the destination attitude modes from "target" attitude reference to a new "destination" attitude reference
Added: Noesis GUI hard-mounted instrument displays, replacing the old instrument UI system (Pilot/Co-Pilot only for now)
Added: Ability to add and reference new Noesis GUI HM instrument pages (Pilot/Co-Pilot only for now)
Added: .ROG data file for each new HM instrument page
Refined: VMS--now uses render-to-texture for proper "displayed image" of exterior space
Added: VMS--can now display any of the ship's exterior static cameras
Added: New VMS shader for RTT image
Added: Ability to switch between new RTT VMS or old "window" tech (later, modders will be able to assign a window or a VMS to each separate area/room within a ship)
Added: Option to select LOW, NORMAL, and HIGH render texture quality for control and instrument UI (currently only in GameStates.ROG)
Added: Option to select LOW, NORMAL, and HIGH render texture quality for VMS displays (currently only in GameStates.ROG and "locked" at NORMAL)
Added: VMS--externalized framework for VMS HUD displays (similar to control and instrument UI)
Added: VMS--orbital information display to right VMS screen (uses new externalized framework)
Fixed: potential crash bug on game exit
Fixed: MES--new main engine functionality produced low thrust levels
Refined: MFD--it is no longer required to enter/exit MFD control mode. Now, the MFD caret is auto-slaved to the "look-at" point
Removed: MFD--commands to enter/exit MFD control mode
Added: MFD--basic externalized framework for MFD UI
Added: MFD--new shader for see-thru MFD's (these are the Eye's Front Display from the Kickstarter prototype)
Refined: FCM--a fuel cell is now placed in STANDBY mode when no bus is selected for power output
Added: New, preliminary boost/deflector exhaust VFX for SV46 II Flying Fox
Fixed: Flying Fox RCS exhaust ports were not represented correctly in data file
Fixed: FCM -- fuel cell core was not cooling to ambient temperature correctly when shutdown (introduced with system function revision)
Fixed: LENR -- core was not cooling to ambient temperature correctly when not fusing and heater shutdown (introduced with system function revision)
Fixed: FPS camera would gimbal lock when player's ship began a mission docked at a 90 degree angle (seems to be a Leadwerks engine bug?)
Fixed: some off-angle exterior static cameras would gimbal lock as ship rotated (seems to be a Leadwerks engine bug?)
Fixed: LENR, FCM and HVAC heaters would rapidly flip-flop around their auto on/off point--implemented a working tolerance between on/off settings
Fixed: was possible for FCM output bar to report past upper limit, causing a graphic error
Fixed: potential axis assignment error under certain conditions
Added: VMS--previous/next static camera select (key-binding only for now--no visual control yet)
Added: MTS--command bindings for individual booster throttles (currently up to two)
Refined: MTS--the old booster throttle binding now acts on the currently selected booster (booster 1 by default)
Added: MTS--throttle lock is now a mechanical lock for all booster throttles. when locked, all throttles will match whatever throttle 1 is commanded to
Added: MES--command bindings for individual throttles (currently up to two)
Refined: MES--the old throttle binding now acts on the currently selected main engine (engine 1 by default)
Refined: MES--the old "throttle lock" command now acts as a mechanical lock for all main throttles. When locked, all throttles will match whatever throttle 1 is commanded to
Refined: MES--for multi-engine ships, magnetrons will not enable if output thrust is being generated, or if the throttle for that engine is not at idle
Refined: MES--for multi-engine ships, superconductors will not enable if output thrust is being generated
Fixed: Flying Fox flight control graphics now mimic player input

Personal note: fooled around with the controls a bit, managed to fuck up the ship's power system somehow. Had no idea how to fix it, proceeded to slowly die from asphyxiation in the absense of life support. (Actually I restarted, but I would've died.)

Last edited:

vean

Scholar
But does it have gameplay? Is there a campaign, or missions or sandbox with stuff to do?

Severian Silk

My balls are not big enough to play this game. :oops:

I'm impressed.

VladimirK

Learned

TripJack

Hedonist
No enemies to shoot, no missions, no goals apart from what's in the tutorials. What you can do if fly around a realistic star system and mess with the ship's systems (unfinished at this time, but taking shape).
4 years after this thread started and this is where the game is at? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom