Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

pippin

iirc yes?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cautiously fapping, will play demo. If I like the direction they are doing for this, will back. Don't fuck this up.

Ash

Arcane
Regarding optimism - a good original game requires the devs to do at least one thing extremely right. A good remake requires the devs to do nothing wrong (compared to the original).
This here is promising, because sticking to the original this closely pretty much ensures the latter. They leave themselves very little room to fuck anything up.

good evaluation overall, however one correction: apparently according to the AMA they do have collective industry experience. Experience is overrated anyway. Many great games back in the day were made by relative newbies.
Also there are many industry veterans responsible for timeless classic who come off as bumbling fools whenever they open their mouths to speak game design. And if they say all the right things, then chances are they did or would do something else about monumentally wrong without even understanding the magnitude of their fuck-up (like Deus Ex: Invisible War) or that it was a fuck up at all.

:mrpresident:

Astral Rag

Arcane
plenty of opportunities to fuck it up

They are tinkering with a classic and they are using Unity, chances of this not ending in decline are pretty slim.

Last edited:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
i thought about supporting then last poster said unity

:roll:

Well i will check out the demo at least that one is free

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You can fall from the top of the tower in the Security level and not take fall damage.

Thank you, that was precisely what I was trying to remember. I also remember the "rollerskate rink" on Level 4, for what that was worth.

This is one thing they will probably change for the new edition.

Ash

Arcane
Unity is hardly an issue. It's considerably more technologically advanced than the original game's engine. Sure it has a reputation regarding performance (perhaps the fault of some developer's poor optimization attempts, I don't know), yet System Shock is not really a demanding game. There's not a lot needed to be rendered all at once on screen*, and there's no wide open spaces to render, biggest is the bridge or the groves which is still pretty small. Design matters far more than which third party engine you choose, otherwise old games would be irrelevant.

*Save moments of lots of enemies like the med deck cyborg ambush, that'd probably be the only major hurdle.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Unity is a horrible engine.

7ASrazC.jpg

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268870/discussions/0/481115363873403091/#c481115363875156263

Unity games run horrible and most also look godawful, but hey at least your CPU probably won't overheat.

:happytrollboy:

Elthosian

Arcane
Polygon got exclusive access to the KS demo:

Looking nice but I expect those "got newz software" cool animashunz to get old fast

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The grafics look nice at least. Benefit of a remake is taking advantage of the vision from a time when scifi environs didn't look like arse.

tormund

Arcane
Why choose Polygon out of all places? I cannot imagine that it is the kind of gaming site that is frequented by the kind of people interested in this game, be older gamers and generally LGS fans or the crowd that is interested in this purely due to Bioshock connection...

The generi-survival horror score is a poor replacement for the original game's tracks. Stop tampering with the good stuff! :argh:
I last replayed System Shock with a mixture of PSX Doom and Doom 64 tracks playing in the background. (lifts up asbestos-enriched greatshield in preparation for flamethrower attack)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm impressed by the altered Rebecca Lansing e-mail - instead of Earth immediately knowing who you are and what you've done (something I discussed in some SS1 thread last year) they're just glad that they got a hold of someone on the station...at least for starters.

Service bots sound like H.E.L.P.eR.! :D

Enemies don't seem to have weak spots - just HP to wear down.

I am stoked.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Glad to see they are still sticking to the original by keeping the shitty melee combat intact.
Why is there a message saying whenever I opened a door or crate? I can already see what's happening on screen, I'm not retarted.
They could've picked a better horror ambiance track if they are going ahead with that, it's like nobody even tries in that regard nowadays.
Someone on the team is really proud of their hand animations for every single fucking upgrade, now if only we can see our legs.
The game looks really good visually, though visual clarity seems to have taken a hit.
UI needs some work, I don't need to see a compass and the inventory looks rather barebones.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Polygon being bad at games aside, I don't really know how to feel about this.
Some things are better, some things are worse; people either want it to be more realistic or less realistic and some are even complaining about the music at the end even though this was in the original.
Guess we'll see what happens when the Kickstarter launches and the demo is actually in people's hands.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm also fairly certain that not every door was so clearly marked as they are there - every room seems to have a purpose.

They've also added extra furniture to make some of the space seem more sensible, like the reception desk by the 451 keypad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom