Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny E3 2016 Previews, Gameplay Footage, Screenshots

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I called the textures then. I think Tranny has their artist B-team.

Did not pay attention to the incoherent viewpoint, but yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
The animations look better, but some attacks still have no force.

I guess the4 codex is fed up with this kind of gameplay. I am as well. Wish Obsidian did a game like underrail, focus on exploration and actually creating a living world or just go full tactics game. It would probably be better received.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The animations look better
Didn't notice. What I did notice is that they sometimes slide at a speed that doesn't correlate with their feet movement.

Makes you think that Torment's root motion idea wasn't that bad after all.

PatataFamilia

Novice
I'm a huge Obsidian fan, but it looks like they still haven't fixed the to the left pathfinding.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
You guys are being a bit overly critical. The combat in poe on path of the damned creates some good moments, the story itself was a let down, the visual design style was good, and looking at tyranny IT IS different, and seems more interesting than vanilla poe. Right at the beginning those pseudo centurions look good, and have more animations than characters in poe, are the animations themselves a bit lacking, out of sync? Yes.

I hated poe as much as many of you but this game sounds like what they should have done in the first place. And slow rtwp does not bother me.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game looks just like PoE 2. For some reason I thought this was going to be a turn based game or something like that. Or maybe it was supposed to be more action oriented, this just looks a bit worse than regular PoE trash content. Not liking it. But whatever.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
spears have the same reach as swords; swordsmen can't run up and get poked in the guts and chest

Dropped.

Medieval reenactors might be a bunch of nerds, but they're the best we've got, and if you watch a few reenactments you will instantly understand how vulnerable a lone spearman is to a swordsman. You see, both spearmen and swordsmen tended to carry shields, and it's fairly trivial to bat long polearms out of the way unless the spearmen are in formation. No amount of medieval-style spear tae kwon do would alter this paradigm.

One good thing is that the spears are wielded underhand, as they should be. It's a bit ruined though because spears weren't held in the middle of the shaft, for reasons that become obvious the moment even a completely untrained person picks up a spear.

Anyway, I'm just shitposting about the spears. All fantasy games throw reality and common sense into the trash when it comes to combat mechanics. There are a lot of reasons to be wary of this game though, not least the title "fatebinder." Lazy mishmash compound words used to denote how SPESHUL the player character (or protagonist, etc.) is make my skin crawl.

ortucis

Prophet
POE bored me to death. After 3 hours, I uninstalled it. Waste of money.

Honestly, it was the shit combat system that ruined it, just like shit DnD crap from Infinity engine days. I should try the new updated version where they allow you to skip combat (I think) so you can play it like a visual novel. I want to see how good/bad the story is without enduring the dumbfuck combat system designed for twats who think DnD style combat in PC games is amazing.

So yeah, shit combat. I bet this game will have it too (and they will add that visual novel mode from the start).

Mustawd

Look...I'm no lover of RTwP games like PoE or IE games. But Tyranny seems to have some real C&C. Shit like "25 hours per playthrough for multiple playthroughs" seems pretty incline in my book. Are we just hating for the sake of hating? Isn't this something we should be supporting?

Aren't we tired of 100+ open world games that feel like single player MMOs? Sorry, but I don't see the negativity aspect here. Running animation sucks? Stop being a graphic whore. Fallout 1 running animation didn't age well either and it's still fun.

I mean seriously. These guys are actually fucking trying to make a good game. Get off your Obsidian soap box and at least give it a chance FFS. Isn't more reactivity, C&C, and more morally gray choices the things the codex has been bitching for the last 10 years?

Please explain to me how this is worse than the 300+ hr bullshit of Witcher 3. Or are you all a bunch of poseurs in disguise? Because so far, that seems to be the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

I dunno...C&C and good dialogue were basically the only thing that made PS:T playable. The combat was shit.

Mustawd

Plus it seems that most Codexers are weary of any such promises coming from Obsidian

*shrug* Obsidian is taking a big risk in making Tyranny. Feargus is probably shitting his pants right now; hoping that the mainstream won't hate it. I think ppl who want good RPGs should at least stop being retarded and hating before they see the final product. Especially when it comes to art assets. When games like Exile by Vogel are touted as a lost art, stupid complaints like "muh running and combat animations" are silly. Can they be better? Of course. Should that define the game? I say no.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
I dunno...C&C and good dialogue were basically the only thing that made PS:T playable. The combat was shit.

It was ENJOYABLE and not tedious in PST. People often forget that some shit doesnt have to be top-notch it just has to be F* FUN. FO combat was not a masterpiece by any standards, but hell it was fun and coupled with other things it was awesome.

Mustawd

FO combat > PS:T combat. Not by much, but meh. That's not the point. from the looks of it, a turn-based version of Tyranny would be pretty good. Plus it seems to have some interesting story lines. Which is really my point.

I dunno. I'm starting to think Infinitron was right. You can never go home again. And even fans of the IE games will hate the new reboot of IE games. What a strange world we live in...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom