Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News 7 Mages Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: 7 Mages; Napoleon Games

It's been over three months since 7 Mages, the unique puzzle-centric blobber from Czech indie studio Napoleon Games where you play a party of (you guessed it) seven mages, was released on Steam Early Access. That version was a straight mobile port, which the developers intended to beef up with proper PC graphics and user interface. They did just that last month, and after a month of additional testing, the game was officially released earlier today. Here's the launch trailer:

According to local expert V_K, 7 Mages' rather awkward English translation has been improved, though it's still not perfect. There have also been some important balance tweaks. If you'd like to give it a try, the game is available on Steam now for $12.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that the Steam sale is live, the game is 25% off until July 4th.

Sinatar

Arbiter
Launching on the first day of the steam sale? There is a fantastic way to ensure your game gets absolutely 0 visibility.

V_K

Arcane
TBH at times it did feel like there were too many PCs for the game's simplistic character system. Party building would have been a lot more fun if there were only 4.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I'm personally not interested in this game since I was told it lacks the depth I like and is just another contentless dungeon crawler like Grimlock, but I do like that rpgcodex seems to be posting rpg news again. The handful of people on this site that actually like rpgs appreciate your change in policy to now cover rpg news.

Roqua

Prospernaut
I don't know who to believe anymore. Is this a real crpg or just a contentless dungeon crawler?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't know who to believe anymore. Is this a real crpg or just a contentless dungeon crawler?

The game has dialogue and stuff. I haven't played it, but I'd guess that if you can play Wizardry 7 or Frayed Knights, you can probably tolerate this, even if it does have lots of puzzles.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Well, Wizardry 7 and Frayed Knights (minus the pregenerated characters of Frayed Knights) are full blown rpgs with towns and tons of npcs, etc.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I've played and finished the game while it was in EA, took me 23 hours. I liked it, but the best description would probably be "a more linear MMX with very few NPCs and no side quests, but with more interesting and varied locations, lots of environmental puzzles and zany dialogues."

The dungeons did feel a little too long/repetitive in the final third, and the loot was generally unexciting and unremarkable, though at least it didn't have randomly generated stats. The combat system was initially varied and interesting, but problems with the game balance eventually made it too simple for my taste; I spent most of the final part of the game using the same few abilities over and over again, with only a few exceptions. In the final dungeon, it was all about the alpha strike; if I got to act first, I could reliably kill the enemies, but if they got to act first, they had a good chance of killing my guys. Bit boring, really. If something happened to be too difficult for direct combat, you could always use a spell that could hit enemies through walls - a few of the enemies could use it too, but they seemed to be a lot less smart about it.

There was a village defense mission about 60% through the game that was easily the highlight of my playthrough - it was nicely challenging, featured a couple of interesting mechanical changes, and forced me to play a lot more aggressively than I usually do. Sadly, it was purely a one-off; including more of those setpieces would have done wonders for my enjoyment of the game.

Overall, I ended up liking the puzzles more than the combat; puzzle design was always varied, and the challenges occasionally required some actual thinking to figure out.

The German translation also still has a bunch of typos and silly errors:

L4ADb9X.png

It's not nearly as bad as it was in PoE at launch, but I would still recommend that everybody play the game in Czech or English. I already submitted some 30+ changes on their community site a few months ago, but they haven't been implemented yet. The release version actually added a few lines of English-only text, so I'm guessing the devs may simply not have the resources to translate their text properly. They might have been better off just sticking to English and Czech versions from the start.

Ultimately, I thought 7 Mages was a pretty good dungeon crawler, but not particularly memorable. Steamspy claims that it's sold about 1,000 copies.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The handful of people on this site that actually like rpgs appreciate your change in policy to now cover rpg news.

Yeah, there's like tons of RPG's coming out that are not being covered here.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That was sarcasm actually. The only ones I can think of are the Japanese Wizardries that get fan translations. That may be worth a news post.

V_K

Arcane
The combat system was initially varied and interesting, but problems with the game balance eventually made it too simple for my taste
They said they rebalanced it completely, nerfing some OP stuff, so it might not be as simple now.
I think the main problem with the combat system is that you have a 7-strong party, but rarely fight more than 2 enemies at a time. If several enemies could occupy a single square, like in MMX, and there were more than 2 types of enemies per map, it would be a lot more fun. It is actually rather funny that there are enemies in the game that can summon help, but they are all confined to early game, where you have a small party.

Roqua

Prospernaut
The handful of people on this site that actually like rpgs appreciate your change in policy to now cover rpg news.

Yeah, there's like tons of RPG's coming out that are not being covered here.

That was sarcasm actually. The only ones I can think of are the Japanese Wizardries that get fan translations. That may be worth a news post.

Then you are fucking retarded. There is tons of rpg news not covered here. Most rpg news is not covered here. Compare rpgwatch's news section with this site's news section. Granted rpgwatch covers a bunch of non-rpg news, but this site does the same with games like the new HBS game, etc.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Then give us some examples of what was not covered, you [insert expletive here].

Roqua

Prospernaut
Then give us some examples of what was not covered, you [insert expletive here].

Are you really this dense? Okay here is an example - http://www.rpgwatch.com/ rpgwatch's news section
- http://rpgcodex.net/ rpgcodex's news section.

If you don't see a big difference there is no point in continuing this conversation because you are a full blown retard and unable to grasp simple baby concepts like what more means.

Please keep in mind both sites cover lots of non-rpg related news, in the case of codex it is about probably 50% or so. While both sites do not cover important rpg news like real crpgs being released. Case in Point - Voidspire Tactics and similar games. There are far too many to list.

Now, this is probably were you open your stupid hole and bleat out monkey gibberish like there is information in the forums. Well, posting shit in the forums isn't posting news in the fucking news section, which I was obviously talking about. Also, looking through the forums it is hard to find news due to being sidetracked by jew hating tranny talk and the hyper focus on console games, pedophile games, and hipster games.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
We asked you for examples of the "many" RPG's that the Codex has not been covering, according to you. That's because none of us are interested in sifting through the Watch news. Is that clear enough, or do you need a quest compass? Voidspire Tactics should probably have been covered, but that's just one title.

Roqua

Prospernaut
We asked you for examples of the "many" RPG's that the Codex has not been covering, according to you. That's because none of us are interested in sifting through the Watch news. Is that clear enough, or do you need a quest compass? Voidspire Tactics should probably have been covered, but that's just one title.

Holly fucking Jesus, Mister. You can't really be this retarded, can you? How have you avoided being prospered? Obviously you are too much of a fucking sycophant to get the coveted dumbfuck tag, but I don't think being Prospered is too much to ask for when it comes to sheep like this.

Okay - let us review. They covered Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy whatever, and Dark Souls 3. They fucking nailed it! 100%. Yeah, codex!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom