Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If you want to go for a quality build the first sword you had in your hands is one of the best quality weapons, when refined.

praetor

Arcane
Yeah, since I reached 40 dex (with Carthus ring) I'm using a Sharp LKS. From here I'm not sure if I'm going for extra HP/Stamina and sticking to Sharp (40 DEX) OR If 40/40 is better (tho with less stamina and HP)

44 Vig (softcap), 40 End (softcap), 35 str/40 dex (or 38/37 if using carthus) and you'll be at SL120 (no point in wasting stats in Vit or others) without sacrificing anything and being an unstoppable killing machine

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Eyestabber I don't think anyone here actually hates DS3 (maybe with the exception of toro who seems to be in dire need of medication), even people who found it disappointing, like me and praetor, still found it fun enough to finish twice.

I don't hate Dark Souls 3.

I did enjoy the game, overall it's a good game; just not a good Dark Souls game.

I already posted this thing several times but it seems nobody is really interested in hearing any criticism about this game. So be it.

sullynathan

Arcane
Yeah, since I reached 40 dex (with Carthus ring) I'm using a Sharp LKS. From here I'm not sure if I'm going for extra HP/Stamina and sticking to Sharp (40 DEX) OR If 40/40 is better (tho with less stamina and HP)

44 Vig (softcap), 40 End (softcap), 35 str/40 dex (or 38/37 if using carthus) and you'll be at SL120 (no point in wasting stats in Vit or others) without sacrificing anything and being an unstoppable killing machine
Why is vigor soft cap so high yet vitality is so low? Messes up my build.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I am in the catacombs, get invaded. Fight the guy a bit, I'm winning the trades (Glaive weapon art is pretty stronk). He pops an estus (and then, so do I since honor is out) and then runs away past the slumbering skellie hordes. Since I know what's going to happen I don't follow, and just pop a seed of giants. I then proceed to explore the rest of the level at a leisurely pace, while the invader just stands on the other side of the skellie horde he created, while having a lot of fun I'm sure.

PvP in this game is such a travesty. I'm considering just blocking the .exe from accessing the internet.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Eyestabber I don't think anyone here actually hates DS3 (maybe with the exception of toro who seems to be in dire need of medication), even people who found it disappointing, like me and praetor, still found it fun enough to finish twice.

I did enjoy the game, overall it's a good game; just not a good Dark Souls game.

I already posted this thing several times but it seems nobody is really interested in hearing any criticism about this game. So be it.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Bro, I wrote a huge tldr; about why the game was disappointing to me a few weeks back and nobody seemed especially butthurt about it. Your criticisms are, for the most part, just dumb and random as hell. As multiple people have noted, the majority of your complaints apply to every other game in the series just as well, and it seems completely nonsensical to call DS3 a "bad Dark Souls game" based on that.

Honestly, in this very thread you said Pontiff was impossible to beat without a shield and admitted to only having been able to kill the Outrider Knight before RoS on your 4th playthrough. It seems to me like you have a very poor intuitive understanding of DS3 mechanics, the game just doesn't click with you no matter how much you play, and your irrational criticisms are a product of frustration caused by this. I'd suggest playing a different game, honestly, you're on the Celerity road right now I'm afraid.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

:nocountryforshitposters:

Bro, I wrote a huge tldr; about why the game was disappointing to me a few weeks back and nobody seemed especially butthurt about it. Your criticisms are, for the most part, just dumb and random as hell. As multiple people have noted, the majority of your complaints apply to every other game in the series just as well, and it seems completely nonsensical to call DS3 a "bad Dark Souls game" based on that.

I got a few hundreds of hours in both DaS and DaS2 and my genuine impression is that DaS3 went overboard with artificial difficulty stuff. I'm probably too dumb to express myself properly in English (with the correct nuances) but I still don't see any reason to contradict my first hand experience.

Again I see the retarded argument that all the games in the franchise were plagued with the same problems. Which is true but it doesn't change the fact that the level of artificial difficulty in DaS3 is obnoxious compared to the previous games.

This complain could be random for you but it is the thing that bothers me the most about DaS3. And in the end, I only speak for myself.

Honestly, in this very thread you said Pontiff was impossible to beat without a shield and admitted to only having been able to kill the Outrider Knight before RoS on your 4th playthrough. It seems to me like you have a very poor intuitive understanding of DS3 mechanics, the game just doesn't click with you no matter how much you play, and your irrational criticisms are a product of frustration caused by this. I'd suggest playing a different game, honestly, you're on the Celerity road right now I'm afraid.

Now, you are full of bullshit. I said that a shield trivialize the Pontiff fight (which it does) and that I had problems with the Outrider Knights in my 1st run (because I did not invest at all in Vigor and at that moment I did not feel comfortable with the faster pace of the combat). I beat the shit out of them in the 2nd run with equip load <30% and Vigor 20+. Do you want a video? :)

My frustration comes from the fact that something was lost in translation, DaS3 no longer has the charm that even DaS2 had. Technically the game feels like a professional job - cold and calculated. Streamlined. It's no longer a labor of love. They squeezed all the mechanics inside with minimal balance, then they ramp up the artificial bullshit and they released the product. Good for them. Not so good for the players. The game will be forgettable in the end.

Another thing is, I don't understand why they gave up on all the good mechanics from DaS2 cause some things were really good. And I hate the Bloodborne influences - it's the wrong direction in which DaS games should evolve. It feels that they squandered a lot of potential.

Anyway, my advice is to save your time and neurons. Your arguments are (1) DaS3 bullshit is acceptable because DaS and DaS2 did it before and (2) I need to Git Gud. Both seem flimsy to me and I don't agree on neither points. You really don't have anything new to say to what others already mentioned.

Can we agree to disagree !? and move on.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I got a few hundreds of hours in both DaS and DaS2 and my genuine impression is that DaS3 went overboard with artificial difficulty stuff. I'm probably too dumb to express myself properly in English (with the correct nuances) but I still don't see any reason to contradict my first hand experience.

Again I see the retarded argument that all the games in the franchise were plagued with the same problems. Which is true but it doesn't change the fact that the level of artificial difficulty in DaS3 is obnoxious compared to the previous games.

This complain could be random for you but it is the thing that bothers me the most about DaS3. And in the end, I only speak for myself.

I actually do know what you mean, but "artificial difficulty" is just a stupid term that doesn't mean much and is typically used by retards to complain about stuff that forces them to pay attention and play well. You will find no end of complaints about "artificial difficulty" in all the Souls games online, about basically anything, up to and including not being able to cancel animations or needing stamina to roll.

Now, you are full of bullshit. I said that a shield trivialize the Pontiff fight (which it does) and that I had problems with the Outrider Knights in my 1st run (because I did not invest at all in Vigor and at that moment I did not feel comfortable with the faster pace of the combat). I beat the shit out of them in the 2nd run with equip load <30% and Vigor 20+. Do you want a video? :)

Here is what you said:

I'm on my 4th run and I finally managed to beat the one before the Road of Sacrifices. It's probably the most satisfying kill I had within this game because in all my previous runs I simply couldn't do it and I had to resort to the elevator cheese.
Well, after a couple of runs I tried to beat Pontiff with a shield. And it worked like a charm (3rd try but it could have been the first try as well because I didn't do anything special).

The boss is nearly impossible if you fight him straight (with roll and shit) - he punishes every wrong roll. However the fight is trivialized if you use an shield and you hug him to death.

So, I don't know. There is no pattern to be learned. I hate this kind of fight. It's stupid despite all the flashy effects.

Seems about right to me.

My frustration comes from the fact that something was lost in translation, DaS3 no longer has the charm that even DaS2 had. Technically the game feels like a professional job - cold and calculated. Streamlined. It's no longer a labor of love. They squeezed all the mechanics inside with minimal balance, then they ramp up the artificial bullshit and they released the product. Good for them. Not so good for the players. The game will be forgettable in the end.

Another thing is, I don't understand why they gave up on all the good mechanics from DaS2 cause some things were really good. And I hate the Bloodborne influences - it's the wrong direction in which DaS games should evolve. It feels that they squandered a lot of potential.

Anyway, my advice is to save your time and neurons. Your arguments are (1) DaS3 bullshit is acceptable because DaS and DaS2 did it before and (2) I need to Git Gud. Both seem flimsy to me and I don't agree on neither points. You really don't have anything new to say to what others already mentioned.

Can we agree to disagree !? and move on.

See, this post is actually more reasonable than what you've written before, which honestly seemed like anger-fueled rants more than anything else. I pretty much agree with everything here, save for the "artificial difficulty" shit, which doesn't mean much. What I don't like about the combat, and I think you'd agree here, is that it only has very extreme outcomes - you either wreck enemies with R1 spam or they wreck you with their own spam, and all the careful zoning, stamina management and using the right attack sequences in openings, which made up the combat in previous Souls games, basically don't exist here. You roll through the enemy's first swing, and then spam and hope they die. The problem here doesn't have much to do with difficulty, really.

And I don't think DS3 bullshit is acceptable, I just think your examples weren't that good, and that there are bigger problems with the game than a few cheap enemy designs.

But anyway, agree to disagree if that's what you want.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I started the game several time (probably 15+) but only 4 times I went from start to finish. I abandoned the game several times before/after the Undead Settlement. When I said 4th run it was more like the 4th try of a build/run. Sorry for the confusion.

I stand correct about the Pontiff fight.

... and that there are bigger problems with the game than a few cheap enemy designs.

Please indulge me.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished Dark Souls 3. 128 hours. I had hell in first phase of last boss, to have easy the second phase.

Jezal_k23

Might be a shameful thing to admit but I did have a bit of trouble with the final boss at first, mainly 1st phase. This one didn't seem as easy as Gwyn and Nashandra. Anyone else share this sentiment?

sullynathan

Arcane
Even though I beat the soul of cinder the first time it wasn't as easy as gwyn or nashandra.
Definitely more fun to fight than both of them

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
And fun to fight when summoned to help other people. The fights can end up being quite diverse due to the number of ways he might attack.

polo

Magister
Soul of cinder scimitar/pyromancer always was annoying to me.

Perkel

Arcane
new patch is out

people report that R1 on most of straight swords and thrusting swords is slowed down. So whiny bitches should be happy.

The update will include the app version 1.05 and regulation version 1.08. It will implement the following changes:

• Archdragon Peak: Fixed the freeze when jumping into the fog after ringing the bell.
  • The Rinfinger Leonhard quest will now start properly after the removal of the restriction on the maximum number of Pale Tongues that can be offered to Rosaria, Mother of Rebirth.
  • Trophies will now unlock correctly even if the required item is sent directly to the storage.
  • Fixed a Skill being changed based on a right hand weapon when equipping White Hair Talisman on the left hand while holding the Sacred Flame with both hands
  • The Horsehoof Ring (which increases stamina drains of ATK) will no longer affect other attacks besides its initial effect on kicks.
  • It will no longer be possible to equip a helm when using a Wax Pool after using the Dragon Head Stone.
  • Fixed the HP drain damage of Symbol of Avarice when resting near bonfire.
  • Fixed a spell animation and effect not synching up when using the magic repetitively.
  • Fixed when summoning the white phantom NPC under a certain circumstance, the character's collision will properly function nullifying all enemy attacks.
  • Fixed issue where skills could be performed even when a certain amount of FP was not available.
  • Adjusted the attack cancel parameters of some curved swords attacks.
  • Adjusted the attack power and skills of fist and claw weapons.
  • Adjusted the skills of twin blade weapons.
  • Fixed the scythe not penetrating shields at close distances.
  • Adjusted stamina consumption and attack cancel parameters for rapier weapons.
  • Adjusted the attack collision for the washing pole weapon.
  • Adjusted parameters of Farron Hail and Busting Fireball.
  • Adjusted casting speed, stamina consumption, cancel timing of some Spells.
  • Increased the number of arrows/bolts that can be possessed.
  • During online multiplayer: During the invasion of a Dark Phantom, the host will no longer be separated from his area.
  • During online multiplayer: A dark phantom can no longer be forcibly brought back in some maps.
  • During online multiplayer: When the player is summoned during a boss battle, the boss will no longer become motionless even after the player is back to his/her world.
  • The status effects below the stamina gauge will no longer be hidden when opening the top menu with HUD display set to auto.
  • The voice chat icon will now remain visible when the HUD display is set to "Auto."
  • Fixed the display of strength level shown in the equipment menu when using two-handed weapon.
  • Other game balance parameters have been adjusted.
  • Several game flaws fixed.
Embrace the Darkness!

Perkel

Arcane
community findings:

Misc changes:

Frame data changes:

• Offensive miracles are faster in general. WoG is unchanged.
  • Soul Greatsword, Dark Edge, Dark Serpent all got significant cast speed buffs.
  • Chaos Bed Vestiges and Boulder Heave are much faster. Same might be possible for more pyromancies.
  • Fist and claw weapons parry attempts have more recovery time.
  • Thrusting swords have been slowed down.
  • Gotthard's rolling L1 has a lot more recovery time.
  • Straightsword class rolling R1 has more recovery time.
  • For some reason the greatlance is slower in general. Chaos blade now has 160 counter.
  • Offhanding a weapon undoes the frame data changes,video proofclick herea lot more spread nowhave been buffedclaim.
Issues that have been introduced:

• Ultrawide display support has been reported as broken.
  • Some threads in the sub report bad performance on PS4 and PC, I need more data to confirm this.
  • FROM forgot to adjust frame data when your weapon is on the offhand[RES ignored duplicate link].
  • Two handed weapons do not display AR properly. AR shown only shows either the 2H bonus or the 1.5 STR scaling multiplier, not sure which. Proof.
I'm joking about the Chaos Blade, or am I?
I'm actively editing this thread as I browse the sub and comments for changes

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So, I'm starting to get the timings down on the new Dark Souls and thus I'm progressing much faster now. The Dancer completely and utterly raped me but OTOH I beat Oceiros on my first try! :P

Here is what my guy looks like (I'm at the entrance to the Grand Archives):

Wp58um8.png

I love the look of the Silver Knight Armor. Herald's helm for fashion Souls purposes.

qfZZHbu.png

I'm still Dex-LKS based. Very effective build, IMO.

xk4QSVh.png

I'm still enjoying the game. And I think the level design is pretty awesome!

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Alright, so I finished the game by killing the Soul of Cinder and linking the flame. Ending is crap, as per DS tradition. Final boss was...very interesting, but not very challenging. Killed him on my first try. The Dancer is, IMO, still the hardest boss. :P

Villagkouras

Arcane
Alright, so I finished the game by killing the Soul of Cinder and linking the flame. Ending is crap, as per DS tradition. Final boss was...very interesting, but not very challenging. Killed him on my first try. The Dancer is, IMO, still the hardest boss. :P
I wasted an afternoon in the final boss and killed Dancer on my first try hahaha! Did you visit any optional areas?

Yeah, estimates on boss difficulty are, as ever, wild as fuck. Only struggled to beat Sulyvahn, killed Nameless King on 2nd try in all 3 of my playthroughs, never died to dancer, Champion Gundyr was somewhat challenging and Soul of Cinder ranks next in difficulty to Sulyvahn imo.

Unlike in ds1, I cannot parry well in 3, even with caestus. PVP aside, I find it impossible to parry Sulyvahn.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I just learned I missed pretty much all optional areas. Funny how I was still strong enough to take on the final boss. I'm guessing I fare better with PvP style fights.

Is the banning problem fixed? Can I buy the game now? :D :D :D :D

Jezal_k23

How strange that so many people report having a lot of trouble with the Dancer and I beat her on the 2nd try. Sulyvahn was very easily the worst for me, since I played two handed without shield and I can't parry for shit. Gundyr #2 was pretty hardcore also. This is why I love these games, it really depends on how you built your character and your playstyle.

Perkel

Arcane
How strange that so many people report having a lot of trouble with the Dancer and I beat her on the 2nd try. Sulyvahn was very easily the worst for me, since I played two handed without shield and I can't parry for shit. Gundyr #2 was pretty hardcore also. This is why I love these games, it really depends on how you built your character and your playstyle.

Dancer is weird boss.

Many people say that first time they fight her she doesn't do much. Thus ton of people getting her at first time.
Then you can get on her mean as fuck side where she is fucking agressive as fuck

On my 1st try was just one hit away from defeating her.
Then 10 times later i did her and those 10 times she was a mean bitch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom