Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HITMAN, the new episodic Hitman - GOTY Edition

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
This is just padding out an already skeleton thin game with busy work.

No, it is not, because the various achievements are different enough that it's fun to attempt each one. Only a small amount of them are simply about wearing a certain disguise while killing a target, or using a specific weapon. Many times there's an added context, like killing the target while he's on stage making a speech by dropping a light rig on him, activating fireworks to lure him outside and then sniping him, using coded language over a phone to make two targets meet each other so you can get them both at the same time, dressing up as someone's psychiatrist so you can meet him in private, taking out both targets with the same sniper rifle, usually from different spots which require finesse and sneaking, and so on (and these are the boring ones). These challenges are varied and difficult to pull off because they require planning and make you do unique sequences of actions that lead to the kill. They're not just "kill this guy with a combat knife".

Maybe we just disagree about what makes Hitman fun. I like organically finding different ways to complete missions... AFTER I finished the game.
Playing the same level 30 times to unlock asinine achievements for a month until the next episode comes out is tedium and busy work and not what Hitman was about ever for me.

If you disagree I guess I can't empirically prove you wrong but.. seriously?

This is what you consider high quality?

And yes.. levels are linear.. In the ship you have 3 decks of ship to go through. The Russian mission is the same.. he's in the office on the second floor of the building.
Same with the tropical island.. you go knock him off outside.. kill her upstairs then go downstairs to the lab.

These levels don't feel organic at all. The target is always the farthest point from where you start in the map.
Compare that with the witness protection dude sitting in the couch watching foot ball in Blood Money.. you can literally shoot him in 5 seconds.

You don't though...
The point in Blood Money is to be a Hitman and not get caught.. -not- finding the flamingo at bills house down the street and bludgeoning your target dressed as a clown in the laundry room... That kind of fapping around is what you do when your bored after owning the game for 3 years.. it shouldn't be a core mechanic intended to extend the life of your game because you had no other real content to provide.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills.. Are people actually entertained by this shit?

Again - my opinions but this game is far from good and even farther from a hitman game.
Honest question for you - did you enjoy Thief 4?
You're right of course. I almost caved and bought it, but went for Witcher 3 instead. Good move I reckon.

Vibalist

Arcane
Maybe we just disagree about what makes Hitman fun. I like organically finding different ways to complete missions... AFTER I finished the game.

That's cool. And I understand it. I, however, don't mind replaying the same levels many times, because these new levels are just that good. I would prefer them all to be released at the same time too, but if you don't like the episodic format, buy the game in 2017.

Playing the same level 30 times to unlock asinine achievements for a month until the next episode comes out is tedium and busy work and not what Hitman was about ever for me.

I already explained to you why the different challenges are not asinine, but actually fun and varied. Aren't you reading anything I type?

If you disagree I guess I can't empirically prove you wrong but.. seriously?

This is what you consider high quality?

Yes.

And yes.. levels are linear.. In the ship you have 3 decks of ship to go through. The Russian mission is the same.. he's in the office on the second floor of the building.

These are the two training missions. They're smaller and more cramped than the three following levels, though by no means linear. There are three decks on the ship to go through, you say. What does this mean? How is it bad? How does it make the level linear? You're doing a poor job of explaining any point you're trying to make. Same with the Russian level. How does it become linear by having the target stay in one room? You do realize that there are several access points to the room, right? That there are ways to lure him out? That he doesn't even, contrary to what you seem to think, stay in the room at all times, but moves back and forth on the upper level?

Same with the tropical island.. you go knock him off outside.. kill her upstairs then go downstairs to the lab.

I assume you're referring to Sapienza here. You say that the targets get knocked off in the same spot regardless of what you do. He's outside, she's upstairs. Here's the thing: Over the course of the level you can do the following:

- Lure Caruso (the guy outside) to his room in the upstairs by disguising yourself as his psychiatrist.
- Lure him into the dormitory by playing his old VHS tape.
- Make him go to the top of the dormitory, where he will look through the telescope, at which point you can shoot him from the clock tower at the other end of town.
- Make him pay a visit to his mother's grave.
- Make him go to the dining area to eat (which is the perfect poisoning opportunity).
- Make him go to his mother's room if you make him think the house is haunted.
As for the De Santis (the girl upstairs), you can:
- Make her go to the pier by dressing up as a private eye she's supposed to meet, thus getting her to leave the entire mansion.
- Make her go down to the lab if you blow up the virus first.
- Make her enter a private area next to the mansion if you call her from her lover's cell phone.

Both targets can also be made to go into lockdown mode, after which they relocate to the lab area.

So no, they're not always in the same spot. You just have to be inventive and observant (or look through the hints that are right there in the menu) in order to make them go somewhere else. The only 'target' that stays in the same spot is the lab, which I hope you will grant me is kind of logical.
Also, even if they stay in the same spot there are still countless of ways to kill them.
Explosive golf balls, sniper rifles, firing the cannon, planting explosives, arranging accidents like the puddle of water upstairs that you can use electricity on, and so on.

These levels don't feel organic at all.

Why?

The target is always the farthest point from where you start in the map.

Like in Sapienza, where the two targets are right across from where you begin? Or Paris, where the first thing you literally spot when walking into the theater is the guy you're supposed to kill?

Compare that with the witness protection dude sitting in the couch watching foot ball in Blood Money.. you can literally shoot him in 5 seconds.

And you can do the exact same shit here. Go right into the theater and take down Novikov. Run into the mansion and shoot Caruso right in the face. Granted, both these options will get you into a fire fight quick, but that's because the targets are well guarded. You're not complaining about targets being well guarded in a Hitman game, are you?

You don't though...
The point in Blood Money is to be a Hitman and not get caught.. -not- finding the flamingo at bills house down the street and bludgeoning your target dressed as a clown in the laundry room...

Alright, man. Name one challenge in Hitman 2016 that is actually like this. One. And no, the contracts don't count. They're made to be silly on purpose and are the kind of 'pointless fapping around' I suspect you're referring to, rather than the actual challenges in the main missions. The challenges are not about picking up random hidden items or dressing up as a vampire magician while drowning a security guard in bathroom stall #3. They're real and logical scenarios that require stealth, planning and observation (if you play with the hints disabled, which of course you do, because you're not a millennial).

That kind of fapping around is what you do when your bored after owning the game for 3 years.. it shouldn't be a core mechanic intended to extend the life of your game because you had no other real content to provide.

You're right. It sucks that this game is being released episodically, but the challenges are - contrary to what you keep trying to convince me of - so well made and fun that you can easily play each level 10 times.
Add to this that you also gain new items upon level mastery, as well as new start out locations and ICA drop points, and you end up with a pretty neat and long lasting sand box.

No one is saying each level is supposed to last a whole entire month, by the way. I quit Sapienza after maybe a week. Then I went and did other things with my time and came back when Marrakesh came out.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills.. Are people actually entertained by this shit?

Yes. Like I've said, Hitman 2016 has some of the best levels in any Hitman game I've played. They're immensely non linear and replayable. They've taken the Blood Money formula and expanded it, which is why I keep saying that this game - developer shenanigans and episodic content aside - as fucking ace.
Look, I can understand not wanting to buy it due to wanting to play it all at once, or out of principle, but the freaking game itself is very good. And the fact that it's short on content doesn't make the content that is already here bad.

Again - my opinions but this game is far from good and even farther from a hitman game.
Honest question for you - did you enjoy Thief 4?

No. Are you trying to be a comedian?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Did another pt of Marrakech. Got SA this time by blowing up the camera as the cameraman and kicking the toilet pot on the general in the school.

Good fun run.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I already explained to you why the different challenges are not asinine, but actually fun and varied. Aren't you reading anything I type?

Most of your arguments are Agree to Disagree bait.. but this one quote you keep regurgitating as if it's factual - then whining I am not understanding you..
Is starting to make me think you might suffer from down syndrome...?

Lets take a look at some of these...

"Diverse Challenges That Keep Gameplay Fresh and New!! <3 "

Store Securely
Find the rat poison on deck 0.

Not for Human Consumption
Poison the target with rat poison.

Over Here...
Distract a guard using a generator.

Spare Change
Throw a coin to cause a distraction.

Wowwwwweeeee Look at those challenges...!!!!!
Find the Rat Poison ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED... Poison the Target...? C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!!

Are we kidding here?

Cherry picked challenges you say? Tutorial Level you scream?!?

Let's check out Italy Challenges!!! pass the meatballs!

The Showstopper
Assassinate Viktor Novikov with the light rig.

Speechless
Assassinate Viktor Novikov with a firearm while he is onstage.

In Seine
Push Viktor Novikov into the Seine river.

And so on and so on.

Hehehe - This time I'll dress up like the bald tranny that can go anywhere in the level and push his ass into the river!

:yeah:

This is fucking depth? This keeps you entertained..?

How about if I jingle some car keys in front of your face?
You gonna pay me 14.99 a month for that? I promise to change the color of the keys every few hours.

Vibalist

Arcane

HGUPJGRGBNNmnkvnoiewfiojiohfZZZZZZZZZmmvmnwn DPWN SYNDROME jdaindnjkndnn!!!

DMKLAWAFLKWwiwfrwfioqjfijn %##=#)!=(¤ :rage::rage:

"grdghgFEGFWE GR WFEDG 123w13egw23t FR2R233TRT23RT3111"

:yeah:

AAARE UF FUCCKKIN STUPUD DWHIQWO222 1112ej29hjnhjknjknnnjhbna111!
:edgy::edgy::edgy:

:happytrollboy:

Cadmus

Arcane
I agree with Immortal.
Firstly it's the written out challenges that make this annoying to me although I guess you can ignore it and find out yourself.
The bigger point is that replaying the same map over and over finding slightly different brands of rat poison to kill your target with is not my idea of fun. I guess it's good that it's there but that stuff is for later when you're done with the game, it never was the main hook for me.
I think that as a Hitman you should ideally shoot people in the head and not be detected so that's what I try to do. That's why some of my favourite missions are the small ones, because they are there in the context of the whole game where you get the chance to explore bigger areas, smaller areas and use different things but you do it because you need to find an effective way to kill your target, not to fuck around to see if you can sodomize them with a rubber duck. You're a hitman presented with different scenarios in which to do your job and this much fuckery in huge sandboxes don't seem like the right way to do it imo.

Vibalist

Arcane
Marrakesh, based on what I’ve played so far:

- More linear structure, in the sense that there are two enclosed areas you can only access in a small number of ways. However, upon playing the level for a while I realized these areas had more access points than I initially thought (including one I don’t think the developers planned).
I thought there was only one way into the abandoned school (through one of the checkpoints, requiring a guard disguise or a shootout), but you can also use the rooftops. Additionally, you could create a distraction and/or explosion in the marketplace in order to draw guards away from the checkpoints, though this obviously makes SA impossible.

- The guards seem very responsive in this level. I started a firefight in the middle of the bazar, and guards came pouring in from all over the level to stop it. Civilians reacted appropriately too, cowering, running away and/or alerting the guards. In general, there is a much better sense of being hunted and tracked whenever you’re spotted. Guards don’t seem to forget your presence as quickly, and there are a lot more of them in this level, which leads me to my next point.

- The difficulty level is higher in Marrakesh than in Paris and Sapienza. It’s easier to get killed and harder to pull off a clean run. I usually always fuck it up at some point, provided I don’t reload the game (which I don’t, because I’m a true veteran).

- Sniping is as fun as ever, and Marrakesh provides some really satisfying sniping opportunities.

- There are ways to lure your targets out of their hiding spots, including
one where you set up a meeting between the two of them.
This makes replaying the level a lot more fun, as you can technically complete it without entering one of the two heavily guarded areas, instead making your marks come to you (makes you feel like a real manipulator and master strategist).

- A very large number of guards and NPC’s see through your disguise this time. In one area, almost everyone will recognize you’re not one of their own if you move too close to them. This contributes to the increased difficulty level and the game is better for it, in my opinion.

- I’ve only reached a level mastery of 10, but so far the items you’re rewarded with are underwhelming. Combat knives and unsilenced pistols? I was hoping for dual silverballers and rifle suitcases.

- All in all, it seems there are less opportunities and kill options in this level, which is disappointing. I can’t know for sure, though, as I’ve disabled all hints and descriptions.

- The visuals, sounds and general presentation is an odd mix of really good things and really bad things. I think the level looks good and feels alive and has really nice ambient sounds. The protesting area in particular is well realized. However, everyone speaks English with an American accent. This was somewhat excusable in the first two levels, seeing as they at least take place in the West, but in Morocco it’s fucking jarring. Having an NPC greet me with “salam aleikum” in the most American voice you can imagine is as dumb as it sounds.

All in all, I think this level is pretty good. Will update with more impressions as I go along. So far it’s a thumbs up. It's not quite as non linear and packed with options as Sapienza, but the increased difficulty and more realistic AI makes up for it.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Marrakesh, based on what I’ve played so far:

- More linear structure, in the sense that there are two enclosed areas you can only access in a small number of ways. However, upon playing the level for a while I realized these areas had more access points than I initially thought (including one I don’t think the developers planned).
I thought there was only one way into the abandoned school (through one of the checkpoints, requiring a guard disguise or a shootout), but you can also use the rooftops. Additionally, you could create a distraction and/or explosion in the marketplace in order to draw guards away from the checkpoints, though this obviously makes SA impossible.

- The guards seem very responsive in this level. I started a firefight in the middle of the bazar, and guards came pouring in from all over the level to stop it. Civilians reacted appropriately too, cowering, running away and/or alerting the guards. In general, there is a much better sense of being hunted and tracked whenever you’re spotted. Guards don’t seem to forget your presence as quickly, and there are a lot more of them in this level, which leads me to my next point.

- The difficulty level is higher in Marrakesh than in Paris and Sapienza. It’s easier to get killed and harder to pull off a clean run. I usually always fuck it up at some point, provided I don’t reload the game (which I don’t, because I’m a true veteran).

- Sniping is as fun as ever, and Marrakesh provides some really satisfying sniping opportunities.

- There are ways to lure your targets out of their hiding spots, including
one where you set up a meeting between the two of them.
This makes replaying the level a lot more fun, as you can technically complete it without entering one of the two heavily guarded areas, instead making your marks come to you (makes you feel like a real manipulator and master strategist).

- A very large number of guards and NPC’s see through your disguise this time. In one area, almost everyone will recognize you’re not one of their own if you move too close to them. This contributes to the increased difficulty level and the game is better for it, in my opinion.

- I’ve only reached a level mastery of 10, but so far the items you’re rewarded with are underwhelming. Combat knives and unsilenced pistols? I was hoping for dual silverballers and rifle suitcases.

- All in all, it seems there are less opportunities and kill options in this level, which is disappointing. I can’t know for sure, though, as I’ve disabled all hints and descriptions.

- The visuals, sounds and general presentation is an odd mix of really good things and really bad things. I think the level looks good and feels alive and has really nice ambient sounds. The protesting area in particular is well realized. However, everyone speaks English with an American accent. This was somewhat excusable in the first two levels, seeing as they at least take place in the West, but in Morocco it’s fucking jarring. Having an NPC greet me with “salam aleikum” in the most American voice you can imagine is as dumb as it sounds.

All in all, I think this level is pretty good. Will update with more impressions as I go along. So far it’s a thumbs up. It's not quite as non linear and packed with options as Sapienza, but the increased difficulty and more realistic AI makes up for it.

Agreed on the disguises. I was surprised to see that the lowest soldier outfit basically gets denied everywhere, and that the embassy and school are high alert for literally any suspicious behavior.

Most unlocks are shit, but the combat knife is great because this is the first time you can start the game with a knife in Hitman (best weapon in the game imo, silent and throwable). But I still go for the wire whenever I can.

Vibalist

Arcane
I've actually stopped bringing the wire, as I don't feel it lets you do anything that you can't do by just sneaking up on someone and snapping his neck. It's marginally faster than subduing your targets, but I'd rather keep that slot open for something else.

Do you know what the emetic poison vial does? This game needs item descriptions.

EDIT: Oh, it's probably rat poison. So kind of superfluous, then.

Last edited:

Aenra

I see we have finally reached that point where younger devs people not only feel fine with episodic content, not only come to the Dex of all places to defend it, but are actually lent a sympathetic ear... by the fucking players!!! Well done, lol

:bravo:

PowerTorment you should mind your manners or do your research. People like ghostdog have offered gamers like me infinitely more hours of gameplay joy than you ever will. Keep getting your salary, keep defending what earns it for you. But mind the limits.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
PowerTorment Is a engine developer..

He probably just shit posts here between Jenkins builds and has little or no say the direction Hitman goes..
He's just treading water as long as possible before Square Enix hands him a severance package.

The only reason he even wastes breath defending this bullshit is so he can feel less guilty pushing decline that is ruining the gaming community.
It's a defense mechanism to sleep at night.

Am I getting warmer? :smug:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I've actually stopped bringing the wire, as I don't feel it lets you do anything that you can't do by just sneaking up on someone and snapping his neck. It's marginally faster than subduing your targets, but I'd rather keep that slot open for something else.

Do you know what the emetic poison vial does? This game needs item descriptions.

EDIT: Oh, it's probably rat poison. So kind of superfluous, then.

Yeah, it's the same as the emetic rat poison you can pick up, doesn't knock someone or kill someone, but makes them run to a corner and throw up so you can knock them out there.

And I take the wire because :obviously:.

Has anyone found a way to snipe the general? I can snipe the Swedish fuck pretty easily from the rooftops, but I don't know where to do that with the general, and I can't really sneak the rifle through the market (give me a case ffs).

Vibalist

Arcane
Disguise yourself as a soldier so you can carry the rifle around in public, then go to the roof where the old writer is sitting. It's right next to the northernmost checkpoint leading into the abandoned school and should be easy to find, as it's one of the few places on the map where there's a staircase leading upwards. If you start at the bazar and then turn left you will get there immediately. At the far side of this roof there is a ledge you can climb onto. From there you can either use a drainage pipe to slide down into the courtyard of the school, or shimmy to another roof top, where you will be able to snipe the general when he stands at the window at the far end of the building (you may have to wait a while for him to show up). Bring a silenced sniper rifle, or the soldiers will swarm you right after you fire.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Disguise yourself as a soldier so you can carry the rifle around in public, then go to the roof where the old writer is sitting. It's right next to the northernmost checkpoint leading into the abandoned school and should be easy to find, as it's one of the few places on the map where there's a staircase leading upwards. If you start at the bazar and then turn left you will get there immediately. At the far side of this roof there is a ledge you can climb onto. From there you can either use a drainage pipe to slide down into the courtyard of the school, or shimmy to another roof top, where you will be able to snipe the general when he stands at the window at the far end of the building (you may have to wait a while for him to show up). Bring a silenced sniper rifle, or the soldiers will swarm you right after you fire.

I thought of doing that, but I figured it would still freak people out because it's not the same rifle. Thanks

That was a satisfying way to complete the level.

Last edited:

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Yesss, the good old days where we lost of money so we had to lay off half the company. Yes that was times...
I don't give a fuck about your company.

And coincidentally I don't give a fuck about you or your opinion. Have a nice day.
You still took the time to respond to it.

Did I strike a nerve? :smug:

Err, no, sorry. And yes, I responded - it would have been cowardly not to answer. I am just playing along with the fuckity fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom