Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Athelas

Arcane
A day/night cycle is one of those things that sounds like it's important, but which you don't even notice the lack of when you actually play the game.

Mazisky

Magister
Ofc for the majority it is just a matter of personal taste, but i cannot imagine a fantasy setting without nights, i don't feel involved without them....expecially whit undeads or night-lore related stuff.

Even if no cycle, i would be satisfied enough if they would do fixed night zones as the game progresses (like Diablo 3 where the 1st zone is at night, 2nd at dawn and 3rd daylight. But this works only on a linear game or a game with no backtracking.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Why would that be a problem? It can still be dark...in the tombs where those undead are. Nobody has ever said 'this game completely immersed me with its atmosphere...until I realized there was no day/night cycle'.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When you fought undead in the outdoor areas of Cyseal it was dark and stormy. :M

Athelas

Arcane
I know, but I didn't use that as an example, because I actually thought it was very silly how it started raining as soon as you got close to those undead.

Mazisky

Magister
When you fought undead in the outdoor areas of Cyseal it was dark and stormy. :M

Yeah but it looked artificial, more artificial than a cosmethic cycle with no schedules. Suddenly all became dark with that area like there is an invisible trigger. Not the best choice, i would preferred a fixed zone entirely at night

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You sim-people sure get pedantic over things most people don't care about. :)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
i remember watching a larian stream on twitch.
there was something like codex vs watch fight, i remember one side was dumb looking and other was smt like a cripple/amputee. Chat couldn't stop shitposting during the whole thing.
anyone remember who the users were and which side was codex?

:smug:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not even pedantic, it's some kind of idée fixe. Not being able to "feel involved" if there isn't a day/night cycle sounds like a psychological problem. Seek help.

Mustawd

It's not even pedantic, it's some kind of idée fixe. Not being able to "feel involved" if there isn't a day/night cycle sounds like a psychological problem. Seek help.

Kind of reeks of the whole "RPGs must have romance" argument. Please god no.

Mazisky

Magister

psychiatrist just said me it is because almost every other Rpg since 1992 had that feature, so my brain is over-elaborating that lack

and is such a useless and ignorable feature that it was in the highest stretch goals, maybe they though it was important before laziness

2h7m73q.jpg

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
good to know codex was victorious , i guess there wont be any codex vs watch fight this time around right?
they could ignore npcs 'realistic life' and just add day/night cycles that affected spells somewhat (like day > better blessing/buff, night more dmg).
they already have weather effects that change on trigger so that much wouldnt be hard.

did codex make any d:os mods? or any plans for d:os2 mods?

Have some respect, lah.
u wot?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Kirill also didn't get an orchestra, so stretch goals are ultimately not a good indicator for anything. At least Larian (Swen?) knows when to cut features if they are going to negatively impact the whole. *cough* PoE *cough*
Cutting the orchestra was a more major blow, since at least Kirill knows how to use it, but ultimately it isn't a priority for a game. They could've gotten a chamber group of some kind maybe, oh well.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wut, kevin vanord write videogames now? well he's one of the very few decent writer on gamespot, but i dunno if he could write fiction let alone games.

any record of his work other than GS stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom