Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire II PLUS : Oujo no Isan - Legacy of the Princess for PC Translation - Completed!

Courtier

Prophet
8Z5iUoM.jpg

xt7KrwO.jpg

N3nrbLp.png

WqtAAlZ.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
uhhh, that race should not be in jap runes.... should be in english.

other than that, excellent efforts because now I also know how to use uMOD in this way very much appreciated.

i've been thinking that I'd love to attempt replacing Empire 1's dungeon textures and replace them with some of the empire 2 and empire 3 ones. I don't really know how I would do that other than that uMOD is the key ingredient, hehe.

oh, and the class should not be in jap either. also Psy is supposed to be Psi short for psionics... ok i'm gonna shut the fuck up now. <(' '<)

goddamnt hat game is good. I almost envy you playing it for the first time. Makes me want to play it again and see if i can beat the post game this time. While it ain't a 20 floor Ibag's Tower nightmare.... they do not fucking fuck around in the post-game dungeon. I got wiped so wiped I wiped my wipe.

Courtier

Prophet
Yea I was running an older exe, I'm using the latest one now.

7lzDm9z.png

Minor font issues don't matter lads, this is looking excellent. You guys are great.

Some stuff (thanks for the help, aweigh):
-I can confirm (PS3) controllers work with the game, use a keyboard map with Better DS3
-If you'd like to use umod for custom portraits, get r51 since 49 and 53 have fps issues loading multiple custom textures
-Controls
tab=menu
m=map
enter=back/examine character
space=confirm (can be switched around with enter in config)
directional keys= movement
esc=save/quit
s=show/hide UI
i=shows item information when item is highlighted in inventory/shop
F1-F6=party member 1-6 (useful in shop/inv)
L/Rshift=strafing mode

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
On the riddles or places where they center the text though, it spills over the edge of the screen >:| It does this especially where numbers are used in the dialogues because it retains the large size even though we are inputting the smaller size numbers. No worries on it doing any hard to your saves. Also it spaces out things nicer on the items / enemies characteristics too.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
richard, i saw all of the riddles man. in the exe, i mean. wow. that was a ton of work man. and they read PERFECTLY. although evne if were playing for the 1st time i would still google the answers, of course, like any true codexer. 50 fucking riddles? fucking faust.

and about empire 2's font...

i can pm you a dropbox link with my version of IDA...

go on, you know you want to spend 3-5 hours per night googling and staring intently into your monitor screen endlessly clicking through sub-references and every time thinking you're *this* close to finding the magic resiter.

^_^

with wiz-empire-1 it was simple because the relevant font stuff was very nicely and helpfully placed directly below the createfontA call. it was even labeled clearly. also, all of the the font's properties (weight/pitch/quality/precision/output/pzSIZE/width/height) were not directly tied to a register. the weight property was by default already set to a ridiculously high amount, which is what ThisNameIsFree discovered and i am really grateful. he saved Empire 1's bad font.

however even though empire 2 utilizes the EXACT SAME FONT, and i mean the actual font file not talking about the function, it's called M S "japanesecharacters". You probably know which one I mean. I believe it's included in most standard font options inside editing programs-- so yeah, both games use the same font, and they both operate with the createfontA function (is it called a function?); but unlike empire 1 every single one of the properties of the font on empire 2 were just.... tied to registers. no way to alter them without patching in an opcode of my own which i do not know how to do.

the furthest i was able to get was locating the width/height registers and going to their hex values and simply experimenting through trial and error a ton of different values to see how it affected the font. the font was affected alright, and i did get it small... but as richard saw it was waaay too small. i was not able to find a value for the width/height that worked.

i thought maybe going for the Weight property, then, like with Empire 1. no joy there though, only a register with no additional stuff. messing with the register did not produce any results so... no way to simply change the Weight value. That I know of, of course. My knowledge of this consists of two weeks of googling forum posts.

also, simply put, empire 1's ASM "tree", specifically looking at the font function part(s), are really, really simple. there are no jumps, no branching operands no nothing, just the thing and that's it and clearly labelled and every option can be manually modified if you want no need to mess with the registers. this, i now know, is rare.

empire 2's asm tree is by comparison 10x bigger and has a ton of opcodes and shit i don't know what they are or do. i spent a few hours doing some corruption (lewl) and flipping registers, hex values and everything visible changing shit to their double, to their half, to their opposite, all i got was a crash to desktop 90% of the time.

i was thinking that the thing to do would be to change what register is with what font property and see if changing 'em up musical chairs style allows other values to be entered for the width/height/weight that the current register doesn't accept. i have no clue how to do that tho.

notice where it says that Width is with the edx register? on empire 1 game that shit is just numbers, there for one to mindlessly corrupt over and over until one gets lucky and the font looks good. <(' '<)

can't do shit with just "edx". well, *I* can't.
Screenshot%202016-05-26%2020.17.26_zpsu1o5lpbq.png

this was the best i managed lol corrupting the width/height hex values (ida is great for finding where shit is...)
Screenshot%202016-05-26%2020.16.50_zpspm5dleu2.png

the hex value for the width is by default 52, now this 52 is directly tied to the edx register. everything under that register is on 52, 51 or 57. any other values produce either no result or garbage. this is why i said that about moving around that register (i don't even know if that's possible, tbh) for one that allows a broader range of hex values to be used for the manipulation of the width/height/weight.

please man, if you've learned some new shit about the empire 2 font's workings and how to manipulate let me know. fonts have become my albatross.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier

on topic of empire 2 gameplay: i made a big mistake early one because i didnot know that in empire series small races (hobbits, gnomes, and faeries) can't equip "big" weapons.

so my highest STR, highest VIT, highest hit point total 4 foot gnome Fighter spent a big chunk of the early game being bitter at the shop owner because he couldn't equip any of the good 2H hammers, whereas the even the freaking priest could use some of them!

remember, a high (positive) number of THACO on the weapon is bad, you want a minus.

a low number of swings/attacks per swing is bad, you want a high number.

obviously majority of multi-attack weapons tend to have very high number of THACO to balance it out.

the real kicker comes when you factor Armor and accessories into the equation. Take the high-THACO wepaon you like and instead of wearing that Lord's Plate which is -8 AC and +4 THACO (very bad for your accuracy), instead wear a Black Costume or a Sailor's Uniform (heh), which provide -3 and -2 AC (very crappy) but give you a whopping -3 and -5 to your THACO.

this way effectively you regain accuracy and keep the hammer's damage. (only an example hammer). of course every point of AC matters. It all comes down to simple percentages. Every point of AC you "lose" (goal is negative, low AC) is exponentially more important than the point before it. Having -6 AC is 36% increase over -5 AC, which was a 20% increase only, and it continues like that. AC isn't linear. When you reach -10 and on wards, every single additional point is the equivalent of an extra 30-40% miss chance on the enemy attack. of course it's impossible to out-AC late game enemies they will still fuck you up.

so, yeha, and the exact same thing applies to THACO. exactly the same deal. every point lower you go is an exponentially bigger increase in your amount of hits and amount of swings. And yeah, that's right, a character SWINGS his weapon X number of times, for example katana comes default with 3 attacks per swing, , but it doesn't mean you'll hit 3 times.

what determines how many attacks per swing you'll do is: character's STR score (above 15 and each additional STR point counts for 2 in terms of THACO, again, once more the same philosophy of every point is better than the one before. it has always been this way in wizardry) + character's class + character's level + AND THEN the number of atks on the wepaon is factored in, AFTER those things, and then guess what? yep, a die roll. so no, don't always count of getting 10 hits just because your weapon says 20 atks per swing. you figure i should land like half of them at least right? not at all. it's up to your character's attributes, his level, and dice rolls that resolve versus the opponent's AC.

the higher the enemy AC the easier it will be for your THACO die roll (STR + char class bonus + char level bonus + THACO bonus + die roll VERSUS enemy AC which is ONLY determined by their char class, like ninjas for example, and from their armor/gear).

if the enemy has -12 AC, (and they'll have more than that, but you know this already from elmiange) you get 12 points taken off your final die roll result. HOWEVER, specific classes like samurai, lord, ranger, valkyrie and berserkers and fighters gain something very similar to dungoens and dragon's BAB.

every five levels or so (each class varies) these classes gain extra die rolls, basically what i mean is they gain an invisible class level bonus that is rolled AFTER the thaco VS ac roll is resolved, and that can REALLY tip the scales. Once this is won then it means the character performs his FIRST ATTACK.

now he rolls to see if that attack hits. fine, great, it hit. now, since his weapon says 20 attacks, he rolls all over again everything i mentioned to see if he succeeds in getting a 2nd attack. boo, he didn't, not even his class bonus clinched it. So in that example even though the character is capable of performing all 20 attacks (with exceptions) every attack in 1 swing is pretty much random, which is basically... same way wizardry and tons of other rpgs have always been.

now here's a cool thing: single-hand and auxilliary weapons are limited to something like 10 or 15 attacks to actually land, mind you not a max of 15 to be attempted, but to land, which is why then having a second weapon in your other hand is great cos now you get 10/15 more possible attacks per swing.

BUT 2h weapons don't have a limit. 2h weapons can do as many attacks as the char's stats and die rolls allow. I haven't mentioned yet that the martial classes, specifically fighters, lords, ninja, samurai, and berserker (not sure if kunoichi, valkyrie and ranger get THIS) also gain about every 10 levels or so a legit extra attack. If the weapon says 5 atks per swing, and it's a level 20 fighter, then it's actually 7 (attempts).

that's pretty awesome.

this means a super high levle fighter (fighters get the highest bonus to their THACO roll, and they get the highest amount of extra atks per swing as they go up levels, and fighters also get 3x as many hit points as anyone else once classes bottom out around level 30 and onwards, which means that wizardry fighters are irrefutably the best class in the game for high level pwnage)-- a high lvl fighter like say, level 40, wielding a 2h mjollnir hammer or whatever that has like 15 atks per swing... well, you start to get the picture on the madness he can wreak. Much, MUCH more badass than dual-wielding, which get capped and the higher the level the more it shows.

this is why dual-wielding is good for non-martial classes that don't receive all those nice melee upgrades every number of levels.

and btw, the berserker class in empire series is ridiculous it's basically a Fighter with the ability to do 2x the number of atks per swing and deal 4x the damage dual-wielding 2h weapons in each hand.

requirements for berserker are: 19 str, 17 int, 18 piety, 20 vitality, 18 agility, and 17 luck. plus you have to clear the normal dungeons first. I never got one and it's the main reason i'm gonna replay, heh.

i tried adding one via cheating/hex-editing but the game was too smart !!! didn't recognize my edited save!

Courtier

Prophet
Thanks for the tips! I'm having a blast.

Now I realize Ku replacing ''Female'' is due to sharing the same Jap character with Kunoichi and some code tomfoolery, but....
4xjcbjI.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
jesus i write long posts. gonna start a new playthrough of emprie 2 and get dat Berserker. ^_^

btw, courtier, berserkers can only be neutral. So you have to groom a neutral male character so you can get your prize in the long run...

r00fl;es

Dorarnae

Arbiter
jesus i write long posts. gonna start a new playthrough of emprie 2 and get dat Berserker. ^_^

btw, courtier, berserkers can only be neutral. So you have to groom a neutral male character so you can get your prize in the long run...

r00fl;es

there's probably items that can change a character to that class. in wizardry asterisk there was one I think.( or maybe it was medal of power which change to random class). was the only way to keep all spell.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no, there aren't any in empire 2 (or 1). plus, i haven't mentioned the fact that you have to earn all titles to even unlock the Almighty class, and you need to earn 20 titles to unlock berserker class.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier

fun fact man, check this out:

so you know in Wizardry when you are dual wielding if the first weapon kills the target the second weapon doesn't trigger, right? That means that dual wielding can't out-DPS a 2h weapon, generally speaking, however weapons that are wielding in 1 hand, i.e. those that can be dual wielded, always have twice the accuracy and twice the # fo atks than a comparable 2h weapon from a similar loot tier/level. It once again reinforces a certain high degree of usefulness in the non-martial classes dual wielding since they lack a good THACO and the only # of atks they'll be doing is the # that the weapon says and that's if they're LUCKY. the 1st weapon will probably not killl the enemy due to the non-martial class char's low STR but the 2nd wepaon will.

of course dual wielding also has the benefits that come with using two weapons to attack and achieve two on-hit effects! a ninja in wizardry empire can dual-wield shurikens and each shuriken can behead... this is why in Elminage series they restricted shurikens to being a Main-hand weapon only, because the sheer carnage in the Empire series that a ninja can achieve dual wielding sub-wepaon shurikens is fucking amaznig. it pretty much guarantees enemy death: if the 1st shuriken does not trigger the beheading itll still do a ton of dmg, and then the 2nd shuriken can behead, and if itdoens't triger either then it does more dmg that will killt he enemy guaranteed.

So here's the "interesting" thing I wanted to share: Starfish decided to have the 2nd weapon CONTINUE TO STRIKE and to AUTOMATICALLY STRIKE AT A NEW TARGET is the primary weapon kills its target. now the etire thing changes. everything from top to bottom.

i'm pretty sure you can guess the how's and why's. Personally I think it's probably the single best design decision Starfish did with the Elminage series of games. Unfortunately it, of course, in end, END-END, always becomes a situation like this: dual-wielding character will always get 2 kills on his turn, 2h weapon wilder will get 1 kill.

in the "normal game" and the pre-post game balancing this isn't really that prevalent, and all weaponsa re perfectly viable and 2h weapons continue to hold superiority in many instances due tot he fact that their limit of attacks per swing is uncapped.

but once you reach the point where it doesn't matter what the fuck your samura or valkyrie is using, if they're using two top-tier katanas/ two top-tier lances that means it's 2 dead enemies for each char.

in any case they made the enemies so fucking hard it doesn't even matter since they they have what, -80 AC? some bullshit like lol. Gotta love it.

(oh yeah and in wizardry empire series there are very few weapons that can hit undead, elementals, AND ghosts, so dual-wielding one for one and one for another is most definitely a good idea when applicable. in Elminage they decided that any non-Mundane weapon can hit undead, and further there no more "special" enemies where as there are 3 different ones requiring possibly 3 different weapons in empire).

to be honest that actually is really fucking annoying because it forces you to eiuther use up spells (talking about empire 1 here) or always carrying around ghostbuster weapons.

eventually you learn enoguh spells you DAF, and of course the REALLY special weapons all hit any type.

Courtier

Prophet
Yeah, but when your guys kill a whole enemy group in a turn they can't automatically attack another until the next turn (assuming you ordered everyone to attack the same group). That's a lot of wasted hits in your average autofight encounter. In Elminage they just move on to the next enemy until everything in the rows they can reach is defeated.

I went half neutral half good characters, with three human fighters in the front that I'll change to advanced classes when possible.

Some of my adventures so far:
-When I fell down a chute on B2F into a giant dark zone I soiled my pantaloons, then I ran out of maps and had to resort to the old rule ''if you keep following the right-hand wall you'll eventually reach the end of a maze''. Was pretty thrilling
-Fuck you Modot, I couldn't cheat and look up the answer to your riddle because alt tabbing crashes my game, but I still solved it anyway
-I went on ridiculous trading binges and ended up getting staves worth tens of thousands of gold (and then I broke them)
-Had to search and discover entire unmapped sections of floors 1-3 after I thought I was already finished with them
-Walked in on Murphy on the toilet and beat his ass
-Found the infamous exploding walls dark zone

This be a good game

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
it's pretty crazy how jam-packed the 1st dungeon is, isn't it? like... zero filler.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

r00fl;es

How sure are you of this aweigh? The fan site you linked a few pages back lists exactly the opposite; that bezerkers can only be good or evil.

I'm still very early in this and having just rolled a high luck human neutral fighter, I'm going to totally freak out if I get 80 hours in and discover he's the wrong alignment lol! :negative:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thank god alt-tabbing doesn't crash my game or I'd still be stuck at the second riddle door!

I'm rather embarrassed to admit that for the longest time I didn't realise the answers in the fan page aweigh linked were hidden at the bottom right of the question box! That was a goddam riddle in itself! All those years of quest compasses have dulled my brain, I had to look up answers for every one apart from the one Courtier linked, which was my first one. It rather gave me a false sense of security that they were all going to be that easy!

Massive, massive props again for your efforts in getting this translated MrRichard999, so far it's just as awesome as aweigh said, and I'm only on the first dungeon. Running with an evil/neutral party of two human fighters, 1 werebeast fighter, human thief and two fairies for the Priest and Mage. Having high affinity has made the starting mobs a cakewalk so far, but I'm sure that won't last! Using Grid Cartographer on my tablet to map it out and using the in game maps as backup when I hit spinners and dark zones, really taking me back to Bard's Tale days here.

Courtier

Prophet
The third dungeon slapped my shit with the pit traps and exploding wall dark zones, but the monsters weren't very strong and all it took to beat was a little patience. The castle however has hordes of demons that behead, thieves that behead, master ninjas that behead, avengers sweeping through your front row with multiple attacks (that behead), level-draining vampires, priests casting death spell, samurai slashing your lads with 200 damage hits when your MaxHP might be around 150-180, archmages...everything either casts strong spells or is a walking guillotine...pls send help

I'm having to reload from wipe every other battle and I'm only on B3F. Every encounter down here is an assclenching life-or-death situation. I shudder to think of doing this on maniac aka Wiz 1 ironman mode.

Some guidelines...
Frequently exit out from tab menu while in dungeon to save and then resume from ''Awayparty''

If you go into your inventory after hitting a (pit) trap, it will trigger again (but not if you only open map with M)

Have one or two people with an inventory full of potions of Dios, some Restoration (cure para), Latumofis (cure poison) and magic maps (work in antimag areas unlike dumapic)

Donate a ton of money to level and max your casters out on spells quickly

You can refight bosses and there are fixed encounters spread around each map (reset w/ Malor or exit=>resume game)

Bishops as always learn spells ridiculously slowly, I should have waited until my mage learned all the spells before reclassing. Take heed!

As you start accumulating important items like keys that you don't need anymore, consider throwing them on a mule character back in town since you can't sell them

Minus 10 AC is not nearly low enough

Dorarnae

Arbiter
The third dungeon slapped my shit with the pit traps and exploding wall dark zones, but the monsters weren't very strong and all it took to beat was a little patience. The castle however has hordes of demons that behead, thieves that behead, master ninjas that behead, avengers sweeping through your front row with multiple attacks (that behead), level-draining vampires, priests casting death spell, samurai slashing your lads with 200 damage hits when your MaxHP might be around 150-180, archmages...everything either casts strong spells or is a walking guillotine...pls send help

I'm having to reload from wipe every other battle and I'm only on B3F. Every encounter down here is an assclenching life-or-death situation. I shudder to think of doing this on maniac aka Wiz 1 ironman mode.

Some guidelines...
Frequently exit out from tab menu while in dungeon to save and then resume from ''Awayparty''

If you go into your inventory after hitting a (pit) trap, it will trigger again (but not if you only open map with M)

Have one or two people with an inventory full of potions of Dios, some Restoration (cure para), Latumofis (cure poison) and magic maps (work in antimag areas unlike dumapic)

Donate a ton of money to level and max your casters out on spells quickly

You can refight bosses and there are fixed encounters spread around each map (reset w/ Malor or exit=>resume game)

Bishops as always learn spells ridiculously slowly, I should have waited until my mage learned all the spells before reclassing. Take heed!

As you start accumulating important items like keys that you don't need anymore, consider throwing them on a mule character back in town since you can't sell them

Minus 10 AC is not nearly low enough

yeah the castle isn't that dangerous trap wise, it's the same map as the first game but reverted. but the monster are a pain in the ass.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton
don't b mad.

i the wiki site is correct.

i believe i have found the reason i never got dat berserker.

kawaaaiii desu desuuu neee

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom