Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Paizo announces Starfinder (Pathfinder in space)

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
http://paizo.com/starfinder/

Take your favorite fantasy RPG to the stars! Set thousands of years in Pathfinder's future, Starfinder is a stand-alone roleplaying game evolved from the Pathfinder rules and designed to bring you a whole new universe of science fantasy adventures. Play alien races both new and familiar as you explore the mysteries of a weird galaxy. Will you be an android assassin fulfilling corporate contracts, or a plucky ratfolk mechanic? A spellhacking lashunta technomancer, or a rakish human pilot? Uncountable worlds are waiting for you and your intrepid crew!

The Starfinder line will include both a hardcover core rulebook and key hardcover rules supplements, as well as a monthly Starfinder Adventure Path that provides you with epic campaigns, expanded rules elements, and new monsters to battle. Best of all, Starfinder is designed to integrate easily with the Pathfinder roleplaying game, meaning your power-armored marine can still go toe to toe with orcs and dragons. So what are you waiting for? The galaxy needs you!

Landing August 2017
I don't expect the clowns at Paizo to do anything right, but Pathfinder is salvageable with third-party content and maybe this will be too.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe this will stop them from adding more Sci-Fi shit into Pathfinder itself.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Numeria and the other planets are the only interesting parts of Golarion, so this might not be as bad as that at least.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Can't wait for 10 years of "Psionics Supremacy Vs Beam Saber" arguments

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
For sci-fi roleplaying I'm really going to want something smoother than a D&D derivative system.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
For sci-fi roleplaying I'm really going to want something smoother than a D&D derivative system.
Don't knock Stars Without Number until you have tried it. I had the same doubts before I did, but SWN works, and provides a surprisingly flexible, user-friendly Traveller-like experience.

(And has excellent GM support right in the core book.)

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
They followed a similar strategy with Pathfinder. They made an announcement, then they released playtest rules significantly before the final product. By the time they had something to sell, they had a lot of built up hype, a lot of people playing and evangelising their system (which, being a D&D 3.5 knockoff, could have been a hard sell on its own), significant adventure support, plus they could refine the system to meet fans' wishes and expectations before committing to a final version. And what do they know? PF is the second most popular RPG around, and even beat D&D 4e in a few quarters.

deuxhero

Arcane
Of course they ignored any actually useful feedback and instead punished martial for being martial.

SKR is gone and in his place is a guy who actually wrote a few optimization guides, so maybe this will be better, but I'm not holding my breath.

lightbane

Arcane
I wonder what kind of shit will they do with the warriors and Rogues equivalents so that they're apparently balanced and functional.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
PF is the second most popular RPG around, and even beat D&D 4e in a few quarters.

I think a dead dog is more popular than 4ed.
4E was never below 2nd place on the popularity rankings, and beat pathfinder most quarters. Despite the hate is was a successfull game, just not successfull enough for Ha$bro.

They followed a similar strategy with Pathfinder. They made an announcement, then they released playtest rules significantly before the final product. By the time they had something to sell, they had a lot of built up hype, a lot of people playing and evangelising their system (which, being a D&D 3.5 knockoff, could have been a hard sell on its own), significant adventure support, plus they could refine the system to meet fans' wishes and expectations before committing to a final version. And what do they know? PF is the second most popular RPG around, and even beat D&D 4e in a few quarters.
Pathfinder was a special case thouhg. Paizo had to let the fans of their adventures know right away that the company wasn't dead after WotC pulled the rug out from under them with the new rules for 3rd party products in 4E.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom