Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Vote for Codex's best (space)4x

Which is the best space 4x out there?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So after Stellaris was released there's a debate going on in between comments, so I'd like the Codex to vote on it.
I'll add as many options as I can think of, feel free to propose more.

It really depends.
If you've got an itch for something more simulationist Distant Worlds satisfies this.
And yeah Stellaris could overtake in time and with mods.

Tao

Savant
The X saga (x3: Terran Conflict f.e) are the truest 4x experience. All those games in the poll follow the same Civilitation patron where you are already a power of some kind especially when we talk about a space theme background, those games feels more like countries simulators than 4x games (like f.e Freelancer).

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
MoO2
SE4 (or 3 cannot remember which one I liked more).
MoO1
GC2
Endless Space
GC1

Haven't played or cannot remember the others.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
MoO2 remains unchallenged, I think. I do like the foundations Stellaris has set down but it's currently too limited in content.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ascendancy was 'k with an AI patch. Also The Last Federation
Man is that the one where you influence Empires to do wars and shit? And you basically control one ship in the whole game?
I am really interested in that , say more

*I didn't have it as a 4x in mind, since I though you don't exactly "expand"

Sword of the Stars 2 was a flawed gem that I enjoyed the most. But for something polished, MoO2 is an obvious choice.

Stellaris might rise to mediocre after 5 years of DLCs worth $200 and an overhaul mod on top.kek

Andkat

Educated
SotS for the combat and racial variation in hulls, FTL, and technology distributions. I never felt like every faction was headed for being a reskin of everyone else in the lategame, which is my usual issue with this sort of setup. Even two iterations of the same species could wind up with substantially different roll outcomes for late game techs, and there were a fair few fun or clever strategies to be employed in the actual RT comnbat. While it's a little bit too simple on the economics side, most 4x game are too heavy on tedious, pointless micro-management in this departmen. A shame that SotS 2 was too broken for me to ever get into it (although maybe project hiver or whatever will finally sort of fix it).

Last edited:
Unwanted

Bustamonte

Unwanted
Shitposter
Master of orion 1. Master of orion 2 is great for building and many other aspects but all the micro can be a big chore and the combat resolution is even worse.

Gotta go with MoO2.

MoO1 and Distant Worlds I'd both rate higher if they had multiplayer, which is almost wasted on MoO2 due to how long turn timers get managing pops and fleet designs and too much shit, but sadly they don't. At least MoO2 has a solid "I'm now powerful enough to bomb everyone else to nothing in 5 turns, game won't be overly drawn out at all" feeling.

Honorable mention to Star Wars Rebellion but its not even close to a 4x, it's just a very large scale RTS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom